Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3D- LiveWire

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

i've got an idea, but i'll wait 'til i've had a chance to go over it a bit before i post anything. havnt had a chance to enter a sumea challenge before - always never had the time. unfortunatly this time will probably be no different, but i'll see what i can get done non-the-less!

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:35 PM Permalink

I've go this idea for a large zombie insect, kinda like the bug guy out of men in black cros with a preying mantis:

six legs witht he fronones like the giant blades on that thing in starwars ep 2. a insect like body, all zombified, with the top of his head like the Alien aliens. the jaw is an oversized human jaw, and the chest is an oversize rottern human chest,with the rib cage torn appart to stretch the width of the body. thinking about pputing a beating heart inside :).
he will have a large trasparent stomach (like on those Shriek toys - from Red Roster i think) with limbs and other gory bits floatring around in it.

it's all a bit hard to describe, but i should get a concept sketch up shortly.

btw: JD - shotgun big giant evil zombie bug! just as long as your's dosnt walk on all fours (or six as is the case i guess)! :)

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:53 PM Permalink

oh no...... i was planning on doing the beating heart thing??
although i wasnt sure if my heart was going to be just out in the oped or had some kinda soft tissue slightly obscuring it... at either rate..... i was planning on having its beating animate-able
also was going to have the intestines and bits and pieces just under a semi transparent skin....
i guess it is a horror theme ;) ........... we probably wont be the only ones either....
sounds like a winner idea though! cant wait to see some concepts..

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

yeah, i just had a look at some other threads and there are a few people doing bug type things, luily mine is different enough from them though so it's still original.

just had a look at your concept - freaking different from mine so i dont see any problem with the couple of simularities.
go the transparent skin for sure though, that would be awsome. mine has a transparent stomach only, not skin, and it has things it's eaten floating inside it. it wil have some exposed organs and stuff around the cest area, but i think it's very different to yours still.

and yeah, its a horor them so i guess there will be a lot of exposed guts and hearts and such. the reason i included them was to put more human elements into my hybrid monter thing.

Submitted by MarkMash on Thu, 22/07/04 - 6:28 AM Permalink

Looks great man, best drawing i've seen from you.

IDEA: You could make it excrete some sort of gooey substance that tastes irresitable to humans and then secretly sell it as a new soft drink :) NO ONE WILL KNOW YOUR DISGUSTING SECRET!

for all those that dont know that was a futurama reference.

But yeah looks cool man. I'd only suggest working on the head and putting some antennae in. You might want to work on the mouth so it can take substantial bites out of its victims. Maybe godzilla head would be good ref for it? (for the shape of jaw) your decision.

Submitted by JD on Thu, 22/07/04 - 6:29 AM Permalink

Looks cool man.. Good to see ours arent really that alike at all. Nice concept.

Is the seethrough back of the head thing going to still be included??

JD

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 22/07/04 - 6:34 AM Permalink

dunno about the see through thing, maybe, will have to redesign it a bit. i like the idea (for everyone else: i had this idea to make the back half of the skull transparent so you could see it's brain, it would also feature as a weak spot). i think i'll wait until i get a few more comments before i give it an overhall

antennae, yes, i forgot to mention them, they featured in an earlier design and i meant to ask: antennae yay or nay??

Submitted by Jackablade on Thu, 22/07/04 - 9:01 AM Permalink

You've got quite a nice concept going on there, but I'm not sure it really fulfills the necessary scariness quota. I'd work a lot on the human side of things as that tends to be what makes the better survival horror beasties so disturbing.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 22/07/04 - 8:26 PM Permalink

ideas:
the big lmp things on it's back and neck i'm going to have as spine type things pertruding through the 'shell' rather than being a part of it.
going to texture bullet holes and decay into it.
goingto collapse one side of it's head like it's an empty cavety, with all the eyes on that side diluted.
might change one back leg to a weid human like leg
one blade will be broken before the tip.
make it walk with a limp and lean to one side

basically ideas to make it more zombie like. a walking dead thing rather than a standard monster

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 03/08/04 - 6:46 AM Permalink

i've decided to scrap my giant evil zombie human bug monster. having to much trouble making it look good.

so a couple of new ideas in the works, i guess i'm falling behind but seeing as though i'm not likely to have any time to work on it for a few weeks anyway (until after trimester finsihes) i guess it isnt a problem...

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 09/08/04 - 5:38 AM Permalink

right, final idea, no concept yet but it will be comming:

(btw i havnt really got a chance to look through every single entry so if someone is already doing this let me know)

=================================
The Harvester

An old farmer limping around pulling his cart behind him. He wears a floppy hat with his head drooped down, so as he comes towards you don?t really know if he?s a bad guy or not ? until you notice the cart has a half completed body secured to it. Half completed because it?s obviously made up of several different sources. He stops and raises his head at you, revealing a half decayed face and zombie eyes (com?on if he wasn?t a zombie where would be the fun?).

Details:
- Until you get close you wouldn?t know he?s a zombie. His overalls cover most of his body. Although they are very grubby and stained with dry blood. So you wouldn?t know for sure until he got close enough.
- Cart is old and dodgy. Lopsided, one wheel partly broken, neither truly round, add this to the farmers limp and it all comes along at a fairly slow pace.
- over the surface of the cart is a ?sheet? of human skin
- on top of this is the body, secured to it with large rusty nails as to prevent it from falling off
- also on the cart are a few crude tools (eg. saw) used for the farmer?s ?operations?, including a nasty looking pick axe which he uses to subdue his patients.

Shotgun catchphrase:

?Care to make a donation??

now all i have to do is find the time to model it, and at the moment it's looking more and more likely i'm not even going to have the time to start, which sucks cos i really wanted to enter a sumea comp this year. dang.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 09/08/04 - 5:56 AM Permalink

sounds interesting, like the idea of the danger not being immediatly apparent. As for similarities.... someone (damn forget who) is doing a crazy half human gardener half living venus flytrap and ive got a guy who is attempting to assemble zombie bots through his own crude operations so he carries around a bag of spare parts (human and metallic), a meat cleaver and a cutting knife. Other then that no one is doing a farmer character i dont think :D

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 09/08/04 - 6:01 AM Permalink

cool, i've seen the plant dude and i mine's definalty different from that. i guess back story has some simularities to yours but overall i think it's very different character... so kewl! time to start sketching...

EDIT: just checked out yours (there are only a couple of entries that i know by name, but i rember yours now, it's nasty). the picture i have in mind for mine is VERY different, so no worries there [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 09/08/04 - 6:33 AM Permalink

good stuff, looking forward to some piccys :D

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on

i've got an idea, but i'll wait 'til i've had a chance to go over it a bit before i post anything. havnt had a chance to enter a sumea challenge before - always never had the time. unfortunatly this time will probably be no different, but i'll see what i can get done non-the-less!

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:35 PM Permalink

I've go this idea for a large zombie insect, kinda like the bug guy out of men in black cros with a preying mantis:

six legs witht he fronones like the giant blades on that thing in starwars ep 2. a insect like body, all zombified, with the top of his head like the Alien aliens. the jaw is an oversized human jaw, and the chest is an oversize rottern human chest,with the rib cage torn appart to stretch the width of the body. thinking about pputing a beating heart inside :).
he will have a large trasparent stomach (like on those Shriek toys - from Red Roster i think) with limbs and other gory bits floatring around in it.

it's all a bit hard to describe, but i should get a concept sketch up shortly.

btw: JD - shotgun big giant evil zombie bug! just as long as your's dosnt walk on all fours (or six as is the case i guess)! :)

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:53 PM Permalink

oh no...... i was planning on doing the beating heart thing??
although i wasnt sure if my heart was going to be just out in the oped or had some kinda soft tissue slightly obscuring it... at either rate..... i was planning on having its beating animate-able
also was going to have the intestines and bits and pieces just under a semi transparent skin....
i guess it is a horror theme ;) ........... we probably wont be the only ones either....
sounds like a winner idea though! cant wait to see some concepts..

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

yeah, i just had a look at some other threads and there are a few people doing bug type things, luily mine is different enough from them though so it's still original.

just had a look at your concept - freaking different from mine so i dont see any problem with the couple of simularities.
go the transparent skin for sure though, that would be awsome. mine has a transparent stomach only, not skin, and it has things it's eaten floating inside it. it wil have some exposed organs and stuff around the cest area, but i think it's very different to yours still.

and yeah, its a horor them so i guess there will be a lot of exposed guts and hearts and such. the reason i included them was to put more human elements into my hybrid monter thing.

Submitted by MarkMash on Thu, 22/07/04 - 6:28 AM Permalink

Looks great man, best drawing i've seen from you.

IDEA: You could make it excrete some sort of gooey substance that tastes irresitable to humans and then secretly sell it as a new soft drink :) NO ONE WILL KNOW YOUR DISGUSTING SECRET!

for all those that dont know that was a futurama reference.

But yeah looks cool man. I'd only suggest working on the head and putting some antennae in. You might want to work on the mouth so it can take substantial bites out of its victims. Maybe godzilla head would be good ref for it? (for the shape of jaw) your decision.

Submitted by JD on Thu, 22/07/04 - 6:29 AM Permalink

Looks cool man.. Good to see ours arent really that alike at all. Nice concept.

Is the seethrough back of the head thing going to still be included??

JD

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 22/07/04 - 6:34 AM Permalink

dunno about the see through thing, maybe, will have to redesign it a bit. i like the idea (for everyone else: i had this idea to make the back half of the skull transparent so you could see it's brain, it would also feature as a weak spot). i think i'll wait until i get a few more comments before i give it an overhall

antennae, yes, i forgot to mention them, they featured in an earlier design and i meant to ask: antennae yay or nay??

Submitted by Jackablade on Thu, 22/07/04 - 9:01 AM Permalink

You've got quite a nice concept going on there, but I'm not sure it really fulfills the necessary scariness quota. I'd work a lot on the human side of things as that tends to be what makes the better survival horror beasties so disturbing.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 22/07/04 - 8:26 PM Permalink

ideas:
the big lmp things on it's back and neck i'm going to have as spine type things pertruding through the 'shell' rather than being a part of it.
going to texture bullet holes and decay into it.
goingto collapse one side of it's head like it's an empty cavety, with all the eyes on that side diluted.
might change one back leg to a weid human like leg
one blade will be broken before the tip.
make it walk with a limp and lean to one side

basically ideas to make it more zombie like. a walking dead thing rather than a standard monster

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 03/08/04 - 6:46 AM Permalink

i've decided to scrap my giant evil zombie human bug monster. having to much trouble making it look good.

so a couple of new ideas in the works, i guess i'm falling behind but seeing as though i'm not likely to have any time to work on it for a few weeks anyway (until after trimester finsihes) i guess it isnt a problem...

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 09/08/04 - 5:38 AM Permalink

right, final idea, no concept yet but it will be comming:

(btw i havnt really got a chance to look through every single entry so if someone is already doing this let me know)

The Harvester

An old farmer limping around pulling his cart behind him. He wears a floppy hat with his head drooped down, so as he comes towards you don?t really know if he?s a bad guy or not ? until you notice the cart has a half completed body secured to it. Half completed because it?s obviously made up of several different sources. He stops and raises his head at you, revealing a half decayed face and zombie eyes (com?on if he wasn?t a zombie where would be the fun?).

Details:
- Until you get close you wouldn?t know he?s a zombie. His overalls cover most of his body. Although they are very grubby and stained with dry blood. So you wouldn?t know for sure until he got close enough.
- Cart is old and dodgy. Lopsided, one wheel partly broken, neither truly round, add this to the farmers limp and it all comes along at a fairly slow pace.
- over the surface of the cart is a ?sheet? of human skin
- on top of this is the body, secured to it with large rusty nails as to prevent it from falling off
- also on the cart are a few crude tools (eg. saw) used for the farmer?s ?operations?, including a nasty looking pick axe which he uses to subdue his patients.

Shotgun catchphrase:

?Care to make a donation??

now all i have to do is find the time to model it, and at the moment it's looking more and more likely i'm not even going to have the time to start, which sucks cos i really wanted to enter a sumea comp this year. dang.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 09/08/04 - 5:56 AM Permalink

sounds interesting, like the idea of the danger not being immediatly apparent. As for similarities.... someone (damn forget who) is doing a crazy half human gardener half living venus flytrap and ive got a guy who is attempting to assemble zombie bots through his own crude operations so he carries around a bag of spare parts (human and metallic), a meat cleaver and a cutting knife. Other then that no one is doing a farmer character i dont think :D

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 09/08/04 - 6:01 AM Permalink

cool, i've seen the plant dude and i mine's definalty different from that. i guess back story has some simularities to yours but overall i think it's very different character... so kewl! time to start sketching...

EDIT: just checked out yours (there are only a couple of entries that i know by name, but i rember yours now, it's nasty). the picture i have in mind for mine is VERY different, so no worries there [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 09/08/04 - 6:33 AM Permalink

good stuff, looking forward to some piccys :D