Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3D- MoonUnit - Challenger #3

Submitted by MoonUnit on

Im thinking something along the lines of a middle class minion here, by middle class i dont mean he has a stable income but that hes not too weak and not too powerfull, i may lean more towards one side once i get started though. Oh and hell probably be somewhat cartoony in proportion and design

EDIT: first little sketch work on designing the character:

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/2004716232528_firstconcept.j…"]firstconcept.jpg[/url]
33.58 KB

[img]http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/2004716232528_firstconcept.j…]

his story is brewing still, hes actually inspired by beleive it or not, the stepford wives (saw the movie the other day). So were talking robotonised human here, only hes not made for house cleaning :P Ill make a proper type out later but basicly think cultists and evil scientists ;)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 18/07/04 - 3:42 AM Permalink

another sketch, just sortof working on the idea and making sure i like the character.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471733839_concept2.jpg"]concept2.jpg[/url]
52.83 KB

[img]http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471733839_concept2.jpg[/i…]

Hes supposed to be something of a telepathic robotic and chemically enhanced human being, so im trying not to have the zombie look and more of a agile constantly tormented being. Hes basicly a warrior for a group of cultists. Theres more to it then that but id like to work on it a bit more...

oh and i know im not being all that uniform with his decoration but that dosent matter, when i model him ill just do the basic human form and then mirror it over, once ive mirrored it then ill do all of his pipes and bolts.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 18/07/04 - 4:24 AM Permalink

keep going till you get one you like is my method :P i like this concept sooooooo much more then the other ones, i know its basicly the same guy but the proportions and such are better.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471742149_concept3.jpg"]concept3.jpg[/url]
53.89?KB

[img]http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471742149_concept3.jpg[/i…]

once ive named him its going to be something normal like damien or josh, because i want him to be a character that given different circumstances you could allmost feel sorry for. But unfortunatly under the circumstances your to busy feeling sorry for yourself as hes trying to kill you ;) hed be present in a more fast paced game like devil may cry...

EDIT: coloured version:

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471754516_conceptcolcomp…"]conceptcolcomp.jpg[/url]
66.76 KB

[img]http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471754516_conceptcolcomp…]

i just decided to colour it roughly, im pleased with the results, i think the next thing is to make some orthographics probably... i might spend some time on designing the different decorations though... well see :)

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 18/07/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

i like the way the first two are hunched over, i rekon he would look much more freaky comming at you like that.

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 18/07/04 - 9:51 AM Permalink

I agree ? he looks cool hunched over ? though the proportions are better with the latest one.
He should be fun to model

He?s almost a bit like Freddy Kruger meets an Uruk Hai meets the borg! I like! My only suggestions would be maybe give him a bit more muscle? Maybe. And possibly some hair?

Hey, that first one, the pose kind of looks like he?s doing the Michael Jackson crotch grabbing pose! [:P]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 18/07/04 - 11:14 AM Permalink

the pose on the last one is ofcourse changable, it was the proportions i was working on. I can allways make him hunched for the money shot ;)

actually i was thinking about giving him dredds or similar (tubes.. or something) but i dont trust my ability to make those look right like they are hanging loose. Other then that i think hair would look out of place.
oh and just because hes a tormented robotonized enhanced being dosent mean he dont like a little dancing ;)

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 19/07/04 - 12:45 AM Permalink

i think it may look better with the mechanical parts centered in an area, right now they seem quite sparse throughout the model and having something like a mechanical thigh or upperarm might help solidify all the parts youve got, hopefully that made sense.

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 19/07/04 - 5:44 AM Permalink

i rekon huge genetically pump up muscles would bee cool, just make sure it has huge veins runing through them to match!

i agree that the mechanical aspec could be taken further too, do some really trippy stuff, you have 8000 or so polys to play with so go nuts i say.

Submitted by RasTuS on Mon, 19/07/04 - 9:41 PM Permalink

it would be scarier if u took off his cod piece :S

looking good might work out better if u modeled him hunched over. imo

Submitted by Sinister on Mon, 19/07/04 - 10:08 PM Permalink

I think Palantir was onto a good thing with the Michael Jackson crotch grab call, although we are all surviving that horror!

I like the blindfold on your character. It gives an impression of him knowing something we don't (being psychic and all). I think the hunched over idea is a unanimous favourite but hey, it's your character.

Keep up the good work.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 19/07/04 - 10:10 PM Permalink

hmmm point well made, i might take his mechanical aspect a bit further, im not sure about entirely robotonising a limb though, as thats the focus of his left arm anyway...

i also might work a bit more on the scariness, im realising that whilst my character has a great sense of drama about him, he could be more freaky...

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 20/07/04 - 4:19 AM Permalink

Maybe you should just focus on robotonising that left limb then? It kind of looks like it needs more of a mechanical section that builds up to the claws. As it is now, they just kind of abruptly come out of his flesh, with little build up to the weapon bit ? if you know what I mean.

I don?t know, it?s just a suggestion. [:)]. I?m interested to see how you develop him.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 5:24 AM Permalink

ok ive done my robot and ive done my survival horror research and ive... changed him somewhat. The drill is attatched to the back of his right shoulder, an addition to help with the cultists mining operations, mining into evil tombs ofcourse but mining none the less :D his leg might be changed a bit or something... im not sure just yet.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471952350_concept4.j…]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471952350_concept4.j…"]concept4.jpg[/url]
65.35 KB

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:09 AM Permalink

Looking better Moony. My only suggestion is to thicken up his metal implants a lot more. If he is used for heavy duty mining, then you will want some heavy duty mining equipment. His knee and wrist joints look very weak.

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:43 AM Permalink

yeah, thats coming along well, i agree about thickening the leg though, keep it up

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 9:33 AM Permalink

ur right the joints do look kinda weak.. its damn hard to find good robot reference.
when i actually think about it perhaps he dosent need a drill for mining, perhaps he just has a great big spikey thing because its a horror game and thats what happens :P to go with story or to go without...

EDIT: had a think about it and i dont reckon i like the latest, ill probably keep with the face additions but i might de-robotilize the leg and im pretty sure ill remove the drill, the mining idea makes his claws seem stupid so im reverting back to the "hes a goon with a bit of a story" thing. I still want something more to balance out the design, preferably on his right shoulder, something robotic... ill have to work on it but this should be the last stage before the modelling begins (i hope..)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 7:44 AM Permalink

Its not really anything to write home about but since i finished working for the evening i figured id post an update. Ive been trying again and again to figure out how to properly complete this guy, im not sure i like the robot parts looking so futuristic and i want to add more and remove some etc etc etc...
i was trying to do all this so i could make some orthographic views to model with, now im saying to hell with it and just modelling as a go along, hopefull itll get itself sorted.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472274216_head1.jpg[…]

ive just roughed out the head and started working on the mouth, as most of the facial detail is covered by the bandanna thing (which will be added later as a seperate object or extrusion). Ill make the curve of the teeth more round but ive been mostly working on the gums this-evening. Ive never worked with this high poly count before so im doing my best with my detail... :P

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472274216_head1.jpg"]head1.jpg[/url]
104.7 KB

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 23/07/04 - 8:13 AM Permalink

Love the teeth so far Moony [:D] it looks as though youve picked up maya quite well in such a short amount of time !

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 8:46 AM Permalink

heh thanks :) Im lovin maya, no way would i be this far in max (sorry but some people just click with different tools, not saying anything against max for other people).
heh now that i think about it im in a comp for max... oh well, id never thought about it as i just want to see this thing through! :P

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 23/07/04 - 10:48 AM Permalink

looking great so far, its a very good head shape. heh, i hardly ever work off refs, i prefer to just model freely, although i dont know whether its the best idea as most people seem to use refs most of the time. anyway, the only crit i have is that you could put some variation into the teeth, different lengths, decay etc., your probably aware of this, just thought id point it out

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 9:33 PM Permalink

yeah they will get the randomization once there all securely lodged in the gums with all the ridging and so on :P

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 23/07/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

You are taking to Maya very quickly :)

The only thing I can see wrong is that he is missing a jaw at the moment. Your concept art has a fairly strong jaw and the model doesn't seem to have one.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 24/07/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

yeah i know, i have to build up his jaw and cheekbones. You cant see from this angle but his neck is coming off the back of his head (sortof in a parralel direction so he appears hunched) so atm he has something of a jawline, just not a very strong one.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 25/07/04 - 12:20 AM Permalink

Update:

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472401515_head2.jpg[…]

886 polys

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472401515_head2.jpg"]head2.jpg[/url]
50.2?KB

You cant really see the band all to well but itll become more apparent once its textured (and lik everything itll probably receive tweaking as time goes on).
Ive discovered whilst i can actually rough a head out and detail it somewhat without a image reference im stuffed for the body, so im going to draw up some orthographics before i get stuck into that. Oh and things like the eye socket that just peeks out from under the bandanna and other things that arent symetrical, will be added later once the entire body is complete and mirrored (as most of these are "decorations" and the poly count at that time will affect what goes in and what dosent).
Also he was going to have a bottom row of teeth but i decided against it because A) the top sort of.. stand out more this way and B) poly count. Im not so good with my distribution as some people :P

EDIT:

i was going to use this image to work on texture and such in PS but since i need to make some orthographics and time isnt moving any slower ill just show you what is more or less my final concept (not sure if ill upload the orthos).

LOGAN:
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472492530_concept5.j…]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472492530_concept5.j…"]concept5.jpg[/url]
70.44 KB

On that note ive more or less completed the story:

Some time in the not too distant future when the world has been torn of its controll over violence and destruction: There is a group of cultists whos beleif it was that the world was populated with "impurities" and that it was their duty to eradicate the world of their presence. The group was lead by a man called Logan Stark who was the mentor for every other member of the group. Logan unfortunatly died in a battle the group was involved in to overtake a scientific facility (in the hopes of using it to create tools of war). In panic the cult forced the staff of the building to put Logan through a experimental procedure to revive him, albiet as a crude half man half robot. The procedure rotted his skin and made all of his hair fall out but it did recover him... to an extent. The cultist felt it nescary to implant in Logans head all the knowledge of the cult and its beliefs, incase he lost them when he "woke." They also had him taught how to make other android warriors should any of the other members fall to the same fate (so they could serve, even after their death). In the explosion that resulted in his death, Logan lost his arm and his eyes, since a suiltable artifical arm could not be obtained the cult turned it into a weapon. Instead of giving him artifical eyes he now uses a form of scanning technology which allows him to sense all of the objects around him and loosely what they are made of. It only operates over a short range though but makes actions like hiding behind pillars pointless to his enemys.

When the procedure was completed the scientists, who were still more or less at gunpoint, activated Logan. It worked only too well, Logan was revived at the cost of all their lives. In the twisted patchy programming in his head he knew of his purpose to only make more androids, he knew not to let people die of their own accord first.
He is also not very good at it, that knowledge like the rest of Logan is more or less flawed. He keeps trying to create more andriods out of corpses, he carries on his back a bag of "spare parts" human and robot alike and tools for "operational" work. He roams the decayed building where he was created searching for subjects to operate on: a game enviroment for a surival horror.

Phew ok thats more or less it, ofcourse everything i do gets changed as time goes on but i think that pretty much puts it down pat. I know most people released their storys to begin with but i had some parts i was still deciding on and so forth.

Submitted by xyz on Sun, 25/07/04 - 6:00 PM Permalink

wow, cool. You should check out tojo's entry re polyy count. Dont't forget you have a shit load of polys to play with, and the head is usually the most costly aset in a model. Are you going to add more detail? I would alway suggest planning a model first. I have wasted so much time because I mistook 3d model programs for clay. eg. clay is much more flexible and 2 hands beat a mouse in speed. I hear softimage is close to clay, but I have never used it.
Anyway, keep going it looks good.

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 25/07/04 - 7:09 PM Permalink

Hehe, cool Moony, nice story. [:D]. I liked how you had Logan?s hair all falling out ? very convenient! The story kind of reminded me of Robocop; ?He?s dead, so legally we can do whatever we want with him?, or that old TV show, six million dollar man; ?We can rebuild him. We have the technology.? It?s like that kind of thing only much more sinister. Cool! [:D]

Your models looking good. I think you?ll probably find that when you?ve done the whole body, you?ll still have a bunch of poly?s to play with; so then you can concentrate on adding detail. Personally I think he might look better with a few little bottom teeth ? but your right, having none does make the upper teeth stand out.

Submitted by denz on Mon, 26/07/04 - 2:57 AM Permalink

Looking good. quite scary.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/07/04 - 4:32 AM Permalink

xyz: yeah there will be more detail but i want to get things to something like the quality of a lowish poly character (teritory im familliar with :P) and add, as apposed to working every aspect (head, arms, legs) to its fullest one at a time.

palantir: yeah its a bit of that futuristic necromancy, but unlike those stories i wanted logan to be crude and rusted, instead of chrome and efficient if you get me. and again the polys will be added as time goes on :D

denz: thanks, thats the idea :D i submerged myself in horror and heavy metal music for an evening ;)

and 10 points for the guy who can tell me which two comic book characters (both marvels) share his first and last name.

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 26/07/04 - 5:27 AM Permalink

looking good so far, no crits right now. would that be logan "wolverine" and tony stark "ironman".

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 26/07/04 - 5:37 AM Permalink

Doh! You beat me to it, conundrum!
Wolverine was an easy one. Though Logan is also the name of the ?Eyes only? character from Dark Angel.

Damn you and your 10 points! [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/07/04 - 6:10 AM Permalink

heh heh im a marvel fanatic, i was going to call him damien but i thought that would be a bit typical so i chose Logan (not because it was wolverines name but because i just liked it), after i made stark his surname i realised there was a marvel with that name too :P

Posted by MoonUnit on

Im thinking something along the lines of a middle class minion here, by middle class i dont mean he has a stable income but that hes not too weak and not too powerfull, i may lean more towards one side once i get started though. Oh and hell probably be somewhat cartoony in proportion and design

EDIT: first little sketch work on designing the character:

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/2004716232528_firstconcept.j…"]firstconcept.jpg[/url]
33.58 KB

[img]http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/2004716232528_firstconcept.j…]

his story is brewing still, hes actually inspired by beleive it or not, the stepford wives (saw the movie the other day). So were talking robotonised human here, only hes not made for house cleaning :P Ill make a proper type out later but basicly think cultists and evil scientists ;)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 18/07/04 - 3:42 AM Permalink

another sketch, just sortof working on the idea and making sure i like the character.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471733839_concept2.jpg"]concept2.jpg[/url]
52.83 KB

[img]http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471733839_concept2.jpg[/i…]

Hes supposed to be something of a telepathic robotic and chemically enhanced human being, so im trying not to have the zombie look and more of a agile constantly tormented being. Hes basicly a warrior for a group of cultists. Theres more to it then that but id like to work on it a bit more...

oh and i know im not being all that uniform with his decoration but that dosent matter, when i model him ill just do the basic human form and then mirror it over, once ive mirrored it then ill do all of his pipes and bolts.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 18/07/04 - 4:24 AM Permalink

keep going till you get one you like is my method :P i like this concept sooooooo much more then the other ones, i know its basicly the same guy but the proportions and such are better.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471742149_concept3.jpg"]concept3.jpg[/url]
53.89?KB

[img]http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471742149_concept3.jpg[/i…]

once ive named him its going to be something normal like damien or josh, because i want him to be a character that given different circumstances you could allmost feel sorry for. But unfortunatly under the circumstances your to busy feeling sorry for yourself as hes trying to kill you ;) hed be present in a more fast paced game like devil may cry...

EDIT: coloured version:

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471754516_conceptcolcomp…"]conceptcolcomp.jpg[/url]
66.76 KB

[img]http://66.148.2.51/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471754516_conceptcolcomp…]

i just decided to colour it roughly, im pleased with the results, i think the next thing is to make some orthographics probably... i might spend some time on designing the different decorations though... well see :)

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 18/07/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

i like the way the first two are hunched over, i rekon he would look much more freaky comming at you like that.

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 18/07/04 - 9:51 AM Permalink

I agree ? he looks cool hunched over ? though the proportions are better with the latest one.
He should be fun to model

He?s almost a bit like Freddy Kruger meets an Uruk Hai meets the borg! I like! My only suggestions would be maybe give him a bit more muscle? Maybe. And possibly some hair?

Hey, that first one, the pose kind of looks like he?s doing the Michael Jackson crotch grabbing pose! [:P]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 18/07/04 - 11:14 AM Permalink

the pose on the last one is ofcourse changable, it was the proportions i was working on. I can allways make him hunched for the money shot ;)

actually i was thinking about giving him dredds or similar (tubes.. or something) but i dont trust my ability to make those look right like they are hanging loose. Other then that i think hair would look out of place.
oh and just because hes a tormented robotonized enhanced being dosent mean he dont like a little dancing ;)

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 19/07/04 - 12:45 AM Permalink

i think it may look better with the mechanical parts centered in an area, right now they seem quite sparse throughout the model and having something like a mechanical thigh or upperarm might help solidify all the parts youve got, hopefully that made sense.

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 19/07/04 - 5:44 AM Permalink

i rekon huge genetically pump up muscles would bee cool, just make sure it has huge veins runing through them to match!

i agree that the mechanical aspec could be taken further too, do some really trippy stuff, you have 8000 or so polys to play with so go nuts i say.

Submitted by RasTuS on Mon, 19/07/04 - 9:41 PM Permalink

it would be scarier if u took off his cod piece :S

looking good might work out better if u modeled him hunched over. imo

Submitted by Sinister on Mon, 19/07/04 - 10:08 PM Permalink

I think Palantir was onto a good thing with the Michael Jackson crotch grab call, although we are all surviving that horror!

I like the blindfold on your character. It gives an impression of him knowing something we don't (being psychic and all). I think the hunched over idea is a unanimous favourite but hey, it's your character.

Keep up the good work.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 19/07/04 - 10:10 PM Permalink

hmmm point well made, i might take his mechanical aspect a bit further, im not sure about entirely robotonising a limb though, as thats the focus of his left arm anyway...

i also might work a bit more on the scariness, im realising that whilst my character has a great sense of drama about him, he could be more freaky...

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 20/07/04 - 4:19 AM Permalink

Maybe you should just focus on robotonising that left limb then? It kind of looks like it needs more of a mechanical section that builds up to the claws. As it is now, they just kind of abruptly come out of his flesh, with little build up to the weapon bit ? if you know what I mean.

I don?t know, it?s just a suggestion. [:)]. I?m interested to see how you develop him.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 5:24 AM Permalink

ok ive done my robot and ive done my survival horror research and ive... changed him somewhat. The drill is attatched to the back of his right shoulder, an addition to help with the cultists mining operations, mining into evil tombs ofcourse but mining none the less :D his leg might be changed a bit or something... im not sure just yet.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471952350_concept4.j…]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200471952350_concept4.j…"]concept4.jpg[/url]
65.35 KB

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:09 AM Permalink

Looking better Moony. My only suggestion is to thicken up his metal implants a lot more. If he is used for heavy duty mining, then you will want some heavy duty mining equipment. His knee and wrist joints look very weak.

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:43 AM Permalink

yeah, thats coming along well, i agree about thickening the leg though, keep it up

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 9:33 AM Permalink

ur right the joints do look kinda weak.. its damn hard to find good robot reference.
when i actually think about it perhaps he dosent need a drill for mining, perhaps he just has a great big spikey thing because its a horror game and thats what happens :P to go with story or to go without...

EDIT: had a think about it and i dont reckon i like the latest, ill probably keep with the face additions but i might de-robotilize the leg and im pretty sure ill remove the drill, the mining idea makes his claws seem stupid so im reverting back to the "hes a goon with a bit of a story" thing. I still want something more to balance out the design, preferably on his right shoulder, something robotic... ill have to work on it but this should be the last stage before the modelling begins (i hope..)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 7:44 AM Permalink

Its not really anything to write home about but since i finished working for the evening i figured id post an update. Ive been trying again and again to figure out how to properly complete this guy, im not sure i like the robot parts looking so futuristic and i want to add more and remove some etc etc etc...
i was trying to do all this so i could make some orthographic views to model with, now im saying to hell with it and just modelling as a go along, hopefull itll get itself sorted.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472274216_head1.jpg[…]

ive just roughed out the head and started working on the mouth, as most of the facial detail is covered by the bandanna thing (which will be added later as a seperate object or extrusion). Ill make the curve of the teeth more round but ive been mostly working on the gums this-evening. Ive never worked with this high poly count before so im doing my best with my detail... :P

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472274216_head1.jpg"]head1.jpg[/url]
104.7 KB

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 23/07/04 - 8:13 AM Permalink

Love the teeth so far Moony [:D] it looks as though youve picked up maya quite well in such a short amount of time !

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 8:46 AM Permalink

heh thanks :) Im lovin maya, no way would i be this far in max (sorry but some people just click with different tools, not saying anything against max for other people).
heh now that i think about it im in a comp for max... oh well, id never thought about it as i just want to see this thing through! :P

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 23/07/04 - 10:48 AM Permalink

looking great so far, its a very good head shape. heh, i hardly ever work off refs, i prefer to just model freely, although i dont know whether its the best idea as most people seem to use refs most of the time. anyway, the only crit i have is that you could put some variation into the teeth, different lengths, decay etc., your probably aware of this, just thought id point it out

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 9:33 PM Permalink

yeah they will get the randomization once there all securely lodged in the gums with all the ridging and so on :P

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 23/07/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

You are taking to Maya very quickly :)

The only thing I can see wrong is that he is missing a jaw at the moment. Your concept art has a fairly strong jaw and the model doesn't seem to have one.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 24/07/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

yeah i know, i have to build up his jaw and cheekbones. You cant see from this angle but his neck is coming off the back of his head (sortof in a parralel direction so he appears hunched) so atm he has something of a jawline, just not a very strong one.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 25/07/04 - 12:20 AM Permalink

Update:

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472401515_head2.jpg[…]

886 polys

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472401515_head2.jpg"]head2.jpg[/url]
50.2?KB

You cant really see the band all to well but itll become more apparent once its textured (and lik everything itll probably receive tweaking as time goes on).
Ive discovered whilst i can actually rough a head out and detail it somewhat without a image reference im stuffed for the body, so im going to draw up some orthographics before i get stuck into that. Oh and things like the eye socket that just peeks out from under the bandanna and other things that arent symetrical, will be added later once the entire body is complete and mirrored (as most of these are "decorations" and the poly count at that time will affect what goes in and what dosent).
Also he was going to have a bottom row of teeth but i decided against it because A) the top sort of.. stand out more this way and B) poly count. Im not so good with my distribution as some people :P

EDIT:

i was going to use this image to work on texture and such in PS but since i need to make some orthographics and time isnt moving any slower ill just show you what is more or less my final concept (not sure if ill upload the orthos).

LOGAN:
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472492530_concept5.j…]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200472492530_concept5.j…"]concept5.jpg[/url]
70.44 KB

On that note ive more or less completed the story:

Some time in the not too distant future when the world has been torn of its controll over violence and destruction: There is a group of cultists whos beleif it was that the world was populated with "impurities" and that it was their duty to eradicate the world of their presence. The group was lead by a man called Logan Stark who was the mentor for every other member of the group. Logan unfortunatly died in a battle the group was involved in to overtake a scientific facility (in the hopes of using it to create tools of war). In panic the cult forced the staff of the building to put Logan through a experimental procedure to revive him, albiet as a crude half man half robot. The procedure rotted his skin and made all of his hair fall out but it did recover him... to an extent. The cultist felt it nescary to implant in Logans head all the knowledge of the cult and its beliefs, incase he lost them when he "woke." They also had him taught how to make other android warriors should any of the other members fall to the same fate (so they could serve, even after their death). In the explosion that resulted in his death, Logan lost his arm and his eyes, since a suiltable artifical arm could not be obtained the cult turned it into a weapon. Instead of giving him artifical eyes he now uses a form of scanning technology which allows him to sense all of the objects around him and loosely what they are made of. It only operates over a short range though but makes actions like hiding behind pillars pointless to his enemys.

When the procedure was completed the scientists, who were still more or less at gunpoint, activated Logan. It worked only too well, Logan was revived at the cost of all their lives. In the twisted patchy programming in his head he knew of his purpose to only make more androids, he knew not to let people die of their own accord first.
He is also not very good at it, that knowledge like the rest of Logan is more or less flawed. He keeps trying to create more andriods out of corpses, he carries on his back a bag of "spare parts" human and robot alike and tools for "operational" work. He roams the decayed building where he was created searching for subjects to operate on: a game enviroment for a surival horror.

Phew ok thats more or less it, ofcourse everything i do gets changed as time goes on but i think that pretty much puts it down pat. I know most people released their storys to begin with but i had some parts i was still deciding on and so forth.

Submitted by xyz on Sun, 25/07/04 - 6:00 PM Permalink

wow, cool. You should check out tojo's entry re polyy count. Dont't forget you have a shit load of polys to play with, and the head is usually the most costly aset in a model. Are you going to add more detail? I would alway suggest planning a model first. I have wasted so much time because I mistook 3d model programs for clay. eg. clay is much more flexible and 2 hands beat a mouse in speed. I hear softimage is close to clay, but I have never used it.
Anyway, keep going it looks good.

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 25/07/04 - 7:09 PM Permalink

Hehe, cool Moony, nice story. [:D]. I liked how you had Logan?s hair all falling out ? very convenient! The story kind of reminded me of Robocop; ?He?s dead, so legally we can do whatever we want with him?, or that old TV show, six million dollar man; ?We can rebuild him. We have the technology.? It?s like that kind of thing only much more sinister. Cool! [:D]

Your models looking good. I think you?ll probably find that when you?ve done the whole body, you?ll still have a bunch of poly?s to play with; so then you can concentrate on adding detail. Personally I think he might look better with a few little bottom teeth ? but your right, having none does make the upper teeth stand out.

Submitted by denz on Mon, 26/07/04 - 2:57 AM Permalink

Looking good. quite scary.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/07/04 - 4:32 AM Permalink

xyz: yeah there will be more detail but i want to get things to something like the quality of a lowish poly character (teritory im familliar with :P) and add, as apposed to working every aspect (head, arms, legs) to its fullest one at a time.

palantir: yeah its a bit of that futuristic necromancy, but unlike those stories i wanted logan to be crude and rusted, instead of chrome and efficient if you get me. and again the polys will be added as time goes on :D

denz: thanks, thats the idea :D i submerged myself in horror and heavy metal music for an evening ;)

and 10 points for the guy who can tell me which two comic book characters (both marvels) share his first and last name.

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 26/07/04 - 5:27 AM Permalink

looking good so far, no crits right now. would that be logan "wolverine" and tony stark "ironman".

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 26/07/04 - 5:37 AM Permalink

Doh! You beat me to it, conundrum!
Wolverine was an easy one. Though Logan is also the name of the ?Eyes only? character from Dark Angel.

Damn you and your 10 points! [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/07/04 - 6:10 AM Permalink

heh heh im a marvel fanatic, i was going to call him damien but i thought that would be a bit typical so i chose Logan (not because it was wolverines name but because i just liked it), after i made stark his surname i realised there was a marvel with that name too :P