Skip to main content

Save anywhere

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on
Forum

So John Carmack mentions that there won't be a 'save anywhere' option in Doom III, causing a bit of an outcry from some gamers. What's your opinion on 'save anywhere' vs 'strategic save points' ? Which do you prefer, and why? Does it matter that much to you either way? Or has there been any certain games where you just wished they had used the other save system?

Submitted by Neilb on Fri, 06/08/04 - 9:59 AM Permalink

Second day of playing Doom3 and yes- it did end up with a "Save anywhere" feature (what this topic started on). It's even nice enough to save at the start of each level (like quite a few games).

I think it works well since:

• the game is immersive enough that half the time your just keeping on your toes looking out for the next zombie or those ^%$# spiders and not thinking of saving
  • since the game is scripted and not randomly spawning bad guys replaying large sections cause you couldn't save anywhere would make the game tedious- I hated the way splinter cell made me do the same bloody things over and over - spending two minutes of easy gameplay to get to the bit where I usually died, and then I'd have to repeat this again...ARggghhh!!
  • it basically keeps the game moving forwards and even though I've only got my chaingun a short time ago (on level 4 i think) the game seems to have quite a bit to go.

First thing i want to make as a slight mod for Doom3 is a "reload monkey" that does an auto reload when enemies are a certain distance away and ammo loaded is low. This might take away some of those hectic bits of gameplay though......

Submitted by 3MMAI on Tue, 07/09/04 - 10:54 PM Permalink

i prefer "save anywhere". I only have a short time to play games and if run out of time and haven't got to a save point i get really sh177y!!

i also feel that strategic saves are forcing the game on me, i HAVE to play on or i won't be able to save, which takes a little bit of the fun out off it for me.

Posted by souri on
Forum

So John Carmack mentions that there won't be a 'save anywhere' option in Doom III, causing a bit of an outcry from some gamers. What's your opinion on 'save anywhere' vs 'strategic save points' ? Which do you prefer, and why? Does it matter that much to you either way? Or has there been any certain games where you just wished they had used the other save system?

Submitted by Neilb on Fri, 06/08/04 - 9:59 AM Permalink

Second day of playing Doom3 and yes- it did end up with a "Save anywhere" feature (what this topic started on). It's even nice enough to save at the start of each level (like quite a few games).

I think it works well since:

• the game is immersive enough that half the time your just keeping on your toes looking out for the next zombie or those ^%$# spiders and not thinking of saving
  • since the game is scripted and not randomly spawning bad guys replaying large sections cause you couldn't save anywhere would make the game tedious- I hated the way splinter cell made me do the same bloody things over and over - spending two minutes of easy gameplay to get to the bit where I usually died, and then I'd have to repeat this again...ARggghhh!!
  • it basically keeps the game moving forwards and even though I've only got my chaingun a short time ago (on level 4 i think) the game seems to have quite a bit to go.

First thing i want to make as a slight mod for Doom3 is a "reload monkey" that does an auto reload when enemies are a certain distance away and ammo loaded is low. This might take away some of those hectic bits of gameplay though......

Submitted by 3MMAI on Tue, 07/09/04 - 10:54 PM Permalink

i prefer "save anywhere". I only have a short time to play games and if run out of time and haven't got to a save point i get really sh177y!!

i also feel that strategic saves are forcing the game on me, i HAVE to play on or i won't be able to save, which takes a little bit of the fun out off it for me.