Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #8 - Hiporu

Submitted by Hiporu on

Don't have time to finsh the charcter, thanks for setting up the challenge I did have fun working on this guy. Thanks again.

Submitted by oco on Mon, 19/06/06 - 4:30 PM Permalink

Very nice modeling buddy, got it all happening. The concept is good, the old capcom throw the jacket away idea is a cracker. Give me some more of this guys background story! nice work

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Mon, 19/06/06 - 7:20 PM Permalink

Jeezuzz... looking pretty damn nice so far. It will look even better with the shoulder pad, strappy things and jacket. The creases at the bottom of his leg seem a little bit too defined, but it looks like you are making really good progress. Keep it up!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 19/06/06 - 8:24 PM Permalink

Very very nice model!

How did you model the creases in the pants? Is that done in something like Zbrush or are you just using normal Max/Maya?

Submitted by silvermirage on Mon, 19/06/06 - 9:52 PM Permalink

wow overkill dude,
i dig the arms up to the fingers, they look very accurate to me
but the shoes look a bit plain, maybe try boots?

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 19/06/06 - 10:59 PM Permalink

Good start :)
Watch his proportions though, he looks abit like a shorty with harry-high-pants. Try resizing the head down more and moving the top part of his jeans down as well, see if that helps.
Looking forward to more updates :)

Submitted by Hiporu on Tue, 20/06/06 - 7:51 AM Permalink

Thanks you all for the nice words. No update today, I think once a week update would be best for now, setting up renders for stuff at this resolution takes a bit of time.

oco: The base idea of the character was from a short flim I started to write which turned in to a game design. The short flim was about this guy and his girlfriend who work as assassins (think Kill Bill) but once a year they each do one assassination on someone which they think would be helpful for sociality. The character for the challenge would be him in his assassination gear. Now that the short flim as become a game, were is main idea and feature of the game is movement inside a open city (think free running, GTA, Ninja Gaiden, God Of War.) The character needs to look as if he can move and hide like a ninja, strong willed, but friendly and caring.

WAR-HEAD: I think your right about the creases. I have a bit of work to do get what I want out of his pants, and I think the pants will be the hardest thing to get right.

JonathanKerr: The pants were made in Max then detail in Zbrush, the right leg is what the mesh looked like before Zbrush. I will do most of my character modeling this way.

Silvermirage: I have another past to do on the upper body, mostly the hands. The shoes will be changed to be more like the concept, I have also being think about other details to add to them which includes ninja socks/wrapping give more of a boot look and I will be doing a Zbrush past on them.

Makk: I think the hood is making the head look huge, also the eye are too high on his face, but before the next update I will review the head size and post a image without his hood. His pants are going to be tucked into his ninja socks, I need to work on that a bit to get it right (done some work on this tonight,) I have made room for his huge belt which makes his pants look high. The pants will need a lot of work one of the reason that they are the further a long then the rest of the model. Thanks, your comments were most helpful.

KILLA DEE: Yes I use Zbrush, have been for well over a year now.

Submitted by openanewworld on Tue, 20/06/06 - 8:06 AM Permalink

man that is awsome, can you also post the low poly model, can't wait to see you show more updates

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 20/06/06 - 8:08 AM Permalink

I know this is going to be good [;)] Nice solid start so far!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/06/06 - 8:17 AM Permalink

looking spectacular, keep it up

Submitted by souri on Tue, 20/06/06 - 10:31 AM Permalink

Cripes, you're moving along fast, and the challenge isn't even 1/4 way through yet!

Submitted by tojo on Tue, 20/06/06 - 6:59 PM Permalink

nice modeling man.. looking sweet..

Submitted by openanewworld on Wed, 21/06/06 - 1:05 AM Permalink

man instantly I become your fan man, can you post some links of your other works, please update your thread more often

Submitted by Hiporu on Wed, 21/06/06 - 8:11 AM Permalink

openanewworld: I don't have any other work I can show you, I have been working on vision demos and prototypes for the last 2 years and before that I was working as an animator and only doing characters on the side. So what I'm trying to say is all the recent work I have done is not owned by me, or I had little time to do it (because of the short dead lines on a prototypes) and isn't that great. But all that work helped my art along a huge amount and it has also got me working faster.

Sorry to say no update again, things are a little crazy right now. So update will be slow for a few weeks. I will try to find time tomorrow night for an update.

Submitted by LOOM on Wed, 21/06/06 - 9:15 AM Permalink

man, this comp just gets better and better.

Submitted by caseyjones on Fri, 23/06/06 - 6:19 AM Permalink

Looking nice dude, I really like the detail on the arms. Spot on!
The creases in the pants looks nice, but as was mentioned, the bottom of the pants look a little... whack. But you already know about that. Keep up the good work dude. Its amazing how from your concept you got no replies, but then you post 1 hi-poly WIP and everyone wants to be your best friend!
*shrugs*

-caseyjones

Submitted by Neffy on Fri, 23/06/06 - 6:51 AM Permalink

i dunno i sorta like the bottom of the pants, there pulled tight like theres a drawstring closing them.

Submitted by caseyjones on Fri, 23/06/06 - 9:08 AM Permalink

I like the drawstring effect, I was just referring to the creases being a little whack. The look too sharp, but I'm not one to complain. I can't even use zBrush!

-caseyjones

Submitted by Hiporu on Fri, 23/06/06 - 7:45 PM Permalink

The pants were modelled off photos I took of my own pants after I tucked them into my socks, the side I have done I would say it about 70% compete. But when I'm happy with them I will post the reference and you guys can go crazy with feedback.

Anyway, I'm sorry to tell you guy but there will be no/few updates for a few weeks, I'm in the middle of moving and buying a house (packing the reason for no updates this week) I have to move out this weekend and can't move into my new place until the end of July, so I?m going to be all over the place. On top of this I'm going to Boston for two weeks starting next Tuesday. Sorry if you are all looking forward to updates, but after all this I will have a huge amount of time to get this done :)

Submitted by Hiporu on Tue, 22/08/06 - 7:37 PM Permalink

Hey all sorry no update on my character for so long, but I happy to tell you all that I'm now back working on it. I have been very busy the last 6 weeks. I had 2 and a half weeks in Boston (business trip.) The last few weeks I have been in the middle of buying a house and working hard on our current project. But now that I?m all moved in and my work life is back to normal, I going to putting in as much time as I can to get this guy done.

Oh also, as I know there are a lot of AIE and Canberra people on the forums here, and I?m looking for a house mate to move in that has the same interests as me (a little nerdy and arty) is anyone here looking for a room to rent? Send me a MSN message if you are interested.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 08/09/06 - 2:03 AM Permalink

Sad to hear that you're not finishing the challenge. Your model was coming along very nicely!

Posted by Hiporu on

Don't have time to finsh the charcter, thanks for setting up the challenge I did have fun working on this guy. Thanks again.

Submitted by oco on Mon, 19/06/06 - 4:30 PM Permalink

Very nice modeling buddy, got it all happening. The concept is good, the old capcom throw the jacket away idea is a cracker. Give me some more of this guys background story! nice work

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Mon, 19/06/06 - 7:20 PM Permalink

Jeezuzz... looking pretty damn nice so far. It will look even better with the shoulder pad, strappy things and jacket. The creases at the bottom of his leg seem a little bit too defined, but it looks like you are making really good progress. Keep it up!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 19/06/06 - 8:24 PM Permalink

Very very nice model!

How did you model the creases in the pants? Is that done in something like Zbrush or are you just using normal Max/Maya?

Submitted by silvermirage on Mon, 19/06/06 - 9:52 PM Permalink

wow overkill dude,
i dig the arms up to the fingers, they look very accurate to me
but the shoes look a bit plain, maybe try boots?

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 19/06/06 - 10:59 PM Permalink

Good start :)
Watch his proportions though, he looks abit like a shorty with harry-high-pants. Try resizing the head down more and moving the top part of his jeans down as well, see if that helps.
Looking forward to more updates :)

Submitted by Hiporu on Tue, 20/06/06 - 7:51 AM Permalink

Thanks you all for the nice words. No update today, I think once a week update would be best for now, setting up renders for stuff at this resolution takes a bit of time.

oco: The base idea of the character was from a short flim I started to write which turned in to a game design. The short flim was about this guy and his girlfriend who work as assassins (think Kill Bill) but once a year they each do one assassination on someone which they think would be helpful for sociality. The character for the challenge would be him in his assassination gear. Now that the short flim as become a game, were is main idea and feature of the game is movement inside a open city (think free running, GTA, Ninja Gaiden, God Of War.) The character needs to look as if he can move and hide like a ninja, strong willed, but friendly and caring.

WAR-HEAD: I think your right about the creases. I have a bit of work to do get what I want out of his pants, and I think the pants will be the hardest thing to get right.

JonathanKerr: The pants were made in Max then detail in Zbrush, the right leg is what the mesh looked like before Zbrush. I will do most of my character modeling this way.

Silvermirage: I have another past to do on the upper body, mostly the hands. The shoes will be changed to be more like the concept, I have also being think about other details to add to them which includes ninja socks/wrapping give more of a boot look and I will be doing a Zbrush past on them.

Makk: I think the hood is making the head look huge, also the eye are too high on his face, but before the next update I will review the head size and post a image without his hood. His pants are going to be tucked into his ninja socks, I need to work on that a bit to get it right (done some work on this tonight,) I have made room for his huge belt which makes his pants look high. The pants will need a lot of work one of the reason that they are the further a long then the rest of the model. Thanks, your comments were most helpful.

KILLA DEE: Yes I use Zbrush, have been for well over a year now.

Submitted by openanewworld on Tue, 20/06/06 - 8:06 AM Permalink

man that is awsome, can you also post the low poly model, can't wait to see you show more updates

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 20/06/06 - 8:08 AM Permalink

I know this is going to be good [;)] Nice solid start so far!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/06/06 - 8:17 AM Permalink

looking spectacular, keep it up

Submitted by souri on Tue, 20/06/06 - 10:31 AM Permalink

Cripes, you're moving along fast, and the challenge isn't even 1/4 way through yet!

Submitted by tojo on Tue, 20/06/06 - 6:59 PM Permalink

nice modeling man.. looking sweet..

Submitted by openanewworld on Wed, 21/06/06 - 1:05 AM Permalink

man instantly I become your fan man, can you post some links of your other works, please update your thread more often

Submitted by Hiporu on Wed, 21/06/06 - 8:11 AM Permalink

openanewworld: I don't have any other work I can show you, I have been working on vision demos and prototypes for the last 2 years and before that I was working as an animator and only doing characters on the side. So what I'm trying to say is all the recent work I have done is not owned by me, or I had little time to do it (because of the short dead lines on a prototypes) and isn't that great. But all that work helped my art along a huge amount and it has also got me working faster.

Sorry to say no update again, things are a little crazy right now. So update will be slow for a few weeks. I will try to find time tomorrow night for an update.

Submitted by LOOM on Wed, 21/06/06 - 9:15 AM Permalink

man, this comp just gets better and better.

Submitted by caseyjones on Fri, 23/06/06 - 6:19 AM Permalink

Looking nice dude, I really like the detail on the arms. Spot on!
The creases in the pants looks nice, but as was mentioned, the bottom of the pants look a little... whack. But you already know about that. Keep up the good work dude. Its amazing how from your concept you got no replies, but then you post 1 hi-poly WIP and everyone wants to be your best friend!
*shrugs*

-caseyjones

Submitted by Neffy on Fri, 23/06/06 - 6:51 AM Permalink

i dunno i sorta like the bottom of the pants, there pulled tight like theres a drawstring closing them.

Submitted by caseyjones on Fri, 23/06/06 - 9:08 AM Permalink

I like the drawstring effect, I was just referring to the creases being a little whack. The look too sharp, but I'm not one to complain. I can't even use zBrush!

-caseyjones

Submitted by Hiporu on Fri, 23/06/06 - 7:45 PM Permalink

The pants were modelled off photos I took of my own pants after I tucked them into my socks, the side I have done I would say it about 70% compete. But when I'm happy with them I will post the reference and you guys can go crazy with feedback.

Anyway, I'm sorry to tell you guy but there will be no/few updates for a few weeks, I'm in the middle of moving and buying a house (packing the reason for no updates this week) I have to move out this weekend and can't move into my new place until the end of July, so I?m going to be all over the place. On top of this I'm going to Boston for two weeks starting next Tuesday. Sorry if you are all looking forward to updates, but after all this I will have a huge amount of time to get this done :)

Submitted by Hiporu on Tue, 22/08/06 - 7:37 PM Permalink

Hey all sorry no update on my character for so long, but I happy to tell you all that I'm now back working on it. I have been very busy the last 6 weeks. I had 2 and a half weeks in Boston (business trip.) The last few weeks I have been in the middle of buying a house and working hard on our current project. But now that I?m all moved in and my work life is back to normal, I going to putting in as much time as I can to get this guy done.

Oh also, as I know there are a lot of AIE and Canberra people on the forums here, and I?m looking for a house mate to move in that has the same interests as me (a little nerdy and arty) is anyone here looking for a room to rent? Send me a MSN message if you are interested.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 08/09/06 - 2:03 AM Permalink

Sad to hear that you're not finishing the challenge. Your model was coming along very nicely!