Skip to main content

2000 cars for Gran Turismo 4??

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/393/393494p1.html

*2000* cars, and 100 hundred tracks??!!! And other reports saying that damage to cars a possibility? Did they have a million trained monkeys hidden somewhere to make this game? [:)]

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 16/04/03 - 1:26 AM Permalink

omg!
'oh yes, it will be mine. it will be mine'

hmmm..this news didnt come out on the 11th did it???

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/04/03 - 1:45 AM Permalink

2000 cars.. they'd better have a Datsun 120Y, complete with a rusted body, dodgy gearbox, and a "Disco sucks" bumper sticker on the back. This is another E3 rumour, which we'll have to wait and see if it turns out true. But if it was, it certainly sounds amazing. I remember reading something about GT3 - it took like 3 weeks to model just one car. That's why there were only 200 (I think?) in GT3.. Imagine all the work that's needed to fine tune and make sure 2000 cars feel like their real life counterparts..

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 16/04/03 - 9:25 AM Permalink

Damage for cars hey, about time!
I remember reading something about the first 3 titles having trouble getting the actual car makers to license damage on their precious automobiles. Seems they thought images of their cars being damaged might make people believe they where unsafe. lol

Can't wait to destroy a 2 million dollar car while trying to slipstream my mates, woohoo!!

I think australia could benefit from some of those trained monkeys too Souri, damn I'll wear a monkey suit if it gets me a gig.

I think I'm a 32 waist on my monkey suit btw.

Submitted by lava monkey on Thu, 17/04/03 - 1:19 AM Permalink

i defenity want older cars, they should make the game more like hotrod,
racing for pink slips, buying 2nd hand cars and working them, and buying parts out of the paper...
that was one of the best games.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 17/04/03 - 1:23 AM Permalink

I've been thinking about where Gran Turismo can go next as a car/driving simulator.. and I can come up with nothing else other than..

..fixing the damn cars yourself. [:)]

Submitted by GooberMan on Thu, 17/04/03 - 3:33 AM Permalink

How about cards that flip? That should be included because of the damage to the cars I guess, but I've always thought it pretty stupid that it claims to be a real driving simulator but clamps the car to the ground when it looks like it's going to flip :P

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 17/04/03 - 10:26 AM Permalink

Well it's not like they've got realistic vehicle dynamics either, yet it claims to be a real driving simulator :)

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 18/04/03 - 5:51 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by lava_monkey

racing for pink slips, buying 2nd hand cars and working them, and buying parts out of the paper...

www.streetrod3.com

Submitted by gingleb on Mon, 28/07/03 - 5:39 AM Permalink

2000 cars that isnt true that means the game would be being built when the first gt was brought out. and i think that was such a good game when used cars were in it. but i do hope they bring more cars in but keep the bmw range down to a minimum.

-LOL-

Submitted by sho nuff on Mon, 28/07/03 - 10:59 PM Permalink

was that the game they released in like 93 for the pc? set back in the 60s or some s*** right? and you could drag cars for pink slips, and if u drove it too hard u would drop your transmission? If so, i agree witchu lava monkey. Best car game i ever played.

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 29/07/03 - 12:30 AM Permalink

2000 cars? I'll believe it when I see it... I'd be willing to bet that the majority will be slight variations of any particular model.
I also doubt there'll be any serious damage if it does make it into the game, some manufacturers won't allow it at all, and some will only allow very superficial damage so they'll have to draw the line somewhere... I do hope however if we do see damage, it'll affect the handling and performance of the cars.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 29/07/03 - 2:22 AM Permalink

im looking forward to it car damange or not (altough it would be really good)..
i went out and got a PS2 just for gt3 a couple months back to start it again. almost at 90% now (again) so should wrap it up in time for 4 :)

Submitted by Acer on Wed, 30/07/03 - 10:13 AM Permalink

I actually checked on the actual figure for the cars on gt4, and my referance stated that more than 500 cars will be on the game, nowhere near 2000!!! And that the divercity of the cars will be greater, from old historic cars to new 2003 models.

And it also stated that physical car damage will not be included. Sorry to those who wished to totally screw up 2 million dollar cars [V]

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 30/07/03 - 8:03 PM Permalink

Well those who want damage will just have to get an XBox and wait for PGR2 [;)] (BTW, that's the stupidest wink icon I've ever seen, no offence).
Seriously, damage is a nice feature but since it usually doesn't affect the gameplay on these semi arcade racers, I personally don't think it's that important.

Posted by souri on
Forum

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/393/393494p1.html

*2000* cars, and 100 hundred tracks??!!! And other reports saying that damage to cars a possibility? Did they have a million trained monkeys hidden somewhere to make this game? [:)]

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 16/04/03 - 1:26 AM Permalink

omg!
'oh yes, it will be mine. it will be mine'

hmmm..this news didnt come out on the 11th did it???

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/04/03 - 1:45 AM Permalink

2000 cars.. they'd better have a Datsun 120Y, complete with a rusted body, dodgy gearbox, and a "Disco sucks" bumper sticker on the back. This is another E3 rumour, which we'll have to wait and see if it turns out true. But if it was, it certainly sounds amazing. I remember reading something about GT3 - it took like 3 weeks to model just one car. That's why there were only 200 (I think?) in GT3.. Imagine all the work that's needed to fine tune and make sure 2000 cars feel like their real life counterparts..

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 16/04/03 - 9:25 AM Permalink

Damage for cars hey, about time!
I remember reading something about the first 3 titles having trouble getting the actual car makers to license damage on their precious automobiles. Seems they thought images of their cars being damaged might make people believe they where unsafe. lol

Can't wait to destroy a 2 million dollar car while trying to slipstream my mates, woohoo!!

I think australia could benefit from some of those trained monkeys too Souri, damn I'll wear a monkey suit if it gets me a gig.

I think I'm a 32 waist on my monkey suit btw.

Submitted by lava monkey on Thu, 17/04/03 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Submitted by souri on Thu, 17/04/03 - 1:23 AM Permalink

I've been thinking about where Gran Turismo can go next as a car/driving simulator.. and I can come up with nothing else other than..

..fixing the damn cars yourself. [:)]

Submitted by GooberMan on Thu, 17/04/03 - 3:33 AM Permalink

How about cards that flip? That should be included because of the damage to the cars I guess, but I've always thought it pretty stupid that it claims to be a real driving simulator but clamps the car to the ground when it looks like it's going to flip :P

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 17/04/03 - 10:26 AM Permalink

Well it's not like they've got realistic vehicle dynamics either, yet it claims to be a real driving simulator :)

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 18/04/03 - 5:51 AM Permalink

www.streetrod3.com

Submitted by gingleb on Mon, 28/07/03 - 5:39 AM Permalink

2000 cars that isnt true that means the game would be being built when the first gt was brought out. and i think that was such a good game when used cars were in it. but i do hope they bring more cars in but keep the bmw range down to a minimum.

-LOL-

Submitted by sho nuff on Mon, 28/07/03 - 10:59 PM Permalink

was that the game they released in like 93 for the pc? set back in the 60s or some s*** right? and you could drag cars for pink slips, and if u drove it too hard u would drop your transmission? If so, i agree witchu lava monkey. Best car game i ever played.

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 29/07/03 - 12:30 AM Permalink

2000 cars? I'll believe it when I see it... I'd be willing to bet that the majority will be slight variations of any particular model.
I also doubt there'll be any serious damage if it does make it into the game, some manufacturers won't allow it at all, and some will only allow very superficial damage so they'll have to draw the line somewhere... I do hope however if we do see damage, it'll affect the handling and performance of the cars.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 29/07/03 - 2:22 AM Permalink

im looking forward to it car damange or not (altough it would be really good)..
i went out and got a PS2 just for gt3 a couple months back to start it again. almost at 90% now (again) so should wrap it up in time for 4 :)

Submitted by Acer on Wed, 30/07/03 - 10:13 AM Permalink

I actually checked on the actual figure for the cars on gt4, and my referance stated that more than 500 cars will be on the game, nowhere near 2000!!! And that the divercity of the cars will be greater, from old historic cars to new 2003 models.

And it also stated that physical car damage will not be included. Sorry to those who wished to totally screw up 2 million dollar cars [V]

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 30/07/03 - 8:03 PM Permalink

Well those who want damage will just have to get an XBox and wait for PGR2 [;)] (BTW, that's the stupidest wink icon I've ever seen, no offence).
Seriously, damage is a nice feature but since it usually doesn't affect the gameplay on these semi arcade racers, I personally don't think it's that important.