Skip to main content

Team Fortress 2 art

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Ahh.. what a difference eight or so years of hibernation makes [;)] Yes, I remember when all the hype on Team Fortress 2 was buzzing around back in 1998, with the glowing news reports, magazine covers, and even awards it received. It was a pretty damn good looking game back then too, but after an extraordinary long period of silence, it kinda disappeared from all relevance when games like BF2 and Quake Wars took over the class/team play mantle, and pushed the idea further.

Valve really have pulled off something special to put the spotlight back on TF2, with the new stylistic art direction that I'm sure many developers are taking note. It also really opens up a tonne of possibilities going this route compared to the well trodden war theme. My only hope is they do something extraordinary with the gameplay as well, since well... things have certainly moved on from the traditional TFC gameplay.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Souri/200671422200_TF2old.jpg[/i…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Souri/2006714222151_TF2new.jpg[/…]

Submitted by Grover on Sun, 16/07/06 - 4:56 AM Permalink

geez. I dunno about anyone else.. but how much is that like TimeSplitters? (Ie in styling).

Submitted by Major Clod on Sun, 16/07/06 - 4:59 AM Permalink

Wow, that was definately a surprise I did not expect TF2 to see the light of day any time soon... Does this mean Duke Nukem Forever will ship with HL2:Episode Three??

I like the style of that TF2 image, very cool.. Hope the gameplay is good!

Submitted by LOOM on Sun, 16/07/06 - 8:27 AM Permalink

yeh the gameplay will be definately over-dramatic and comical.
interesting... [8D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 18/07/06 - 8:46 AM Permalink

Looks kinda neat but does still have to face the facts that unless they up the gameplay as well then its STILL behind in structure to games like BF2 and quake wars (well an assumption so with QW), just nicer looking then before. Im glad theyve killed that oversaturation of orange though (or was that team colours, barely played TF1 and a long time ago?) and yeah it does look kinda timesplitters esque (a stylistic direction i really admire actually) but with a bit of pixar thrown in which is the comment im hearing a lot. Certainly not a bad thing considering the positive press that image gets.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 18/07/06 - 1:13 PM Permalink

Yeh, TFC classes gameplay is pretty rudimentary. It really is bare-bones when compared to the what Tribes, Enemy Territory / Quake Wars, and the Battlefields have done. Hopefully they've implemented a lot of new ideas in there rather than making a port of the old TFC with extra shiny graphics.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 20/07/06 - 9:41 PM Permalink

That link dosent seem to work, however i found it in spiffy HD quality at gametrailers.com

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 20/07/06 - 10:45 PM Permalink

The screenshot didnt do much to excite me but that trailer did. Looks like it could be a heap of fun.

Submitted by PeterDavis on Fri, 21/07/06 - 2:38 AM Permalink

the trailer is also up at gametrailers.com. the valve one didnt work for me (or its a stream, in which case, pfft)

Submitted by PeterDavis on Fri, 21/07/06 - 2:45 AM Permalink

also if you didnt know about Portal which is also shipping with Ep2, check out the trailer for that at www.gametrailers.com as well. both hd.

Submitted by Morphine on Fri, 21/07/06 - 8:38 AM Permalink

Interesting. Cross between Serious Sam and TFC. Hmm, not sure, but we'll wait and see how this saga pans out.

Submitted by PeterDavis on Tue, 25/07/06 - 3:35 AM Permalink

well i think its a wonderful looking game. i just pray people will play it. the current TFC online population is AU is very small. i just did a server refresh now (5.30pm) and theres 26 people playing. and its not really viable to join overseas servers. im on '24mbit' internet and im getting 250 pings in the US

Submitted by souri on Wed, 26/07/06 - 1:55 PM Permalink

I just hope there's a way you can purchase it seperately [:(]

Posted by souri on
Forum

Ahh.. what a difference eight or so years of hibernation makes [;)] Yes, I remember when all the hype on Team Fortress 2 was buzzing around back in 1998, with the glowing news reports, magazine covers, and even awards it received. It was a pretty damn good looking game back then too, but after an extraordinary long period of silence, it kinda disappeared from all relevance when games like BF2 and Quake Wars took over the class/team play mantle, and pushed the idea further.

Valve really have pulled off something special to put the spotlight back on TF2, with the new stylistic art direction that I'm sure many developers are taking note. It also really opens up a tonne of possibilities going this route compared to the well trodden war theme. My only hope is they do something extraordinary with the gameplay as well, since well... things have certainly moved on from the traditional TFC gameplay.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Souri/200671422200_TF2old.jpg[/i…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Souri/2006714222151_TF2new.jpg[/…]

Submitted by Grover on Sun, 16/07/06 - 4:56 AM Permalink

geez. I dunno about anyone else.. but how much is that like TimeSplitters? (Ie in styling).

Submitted by Major Clod on Sun, 16/07/06 - 4:59 AM Permalink

Wow, that was definately a surprise I did not expect TF2 to see the light of day any time soon... Does this mean Duke Nukem Forever will ship with HL2:Episode Three??

I like the style of that TF2 image, very cool.. Hope the gameplay is good!

Submitted by LOOM on Sun, 16/07/06 - 8:27 AM Permalink

yeh the gameplay will be definately over-dramatic and comical.
interesting... [8D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 18/07/06 - 8:46 AM Permalink

Looks kinda neat but does still have to face the facts that unless they up the gameplay as well then its STILL behind in structure to games like BF2 and quake wars (well an assumption so with QW), just nicer looking then before. Im glad theyve killed that oversaturation of orange though (or was that team colours, barely played TF1 and a long time ago?) and yeah it does look kinda timesplitters esque (a stylistic direction i really admire actually) but with a bit of pixar thrown in which is the comment im hearing a lot. Certainly not a bad thing considering the positive press that image gets.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 18/07/06 - 1:13 PM Permalink

Yeh, TFC classes gameplay is pretty rudimentary. It really is bare-bones when compared to the what Tribes, Enemy Territory / Quake Wars, and the Battlefields have done. Hopefully they've implemented a lot of new ideas in there rather than making a port of the old TFC with extra shiny graphics.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 20/07/06 - 9:41 PM Permalink

That link dosent seem to work, however i found it in spiffy HD quality at gametrailers.com

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 20/07/06 - 10:45 PM Permalink

The screenshot didnt do much to excite me but that trailer did. Looks like it could be a heap of fun.

Submitted by PeterDavis on Fri, 21/07/06 - 2:38 AM Permalink

the trailer is also up at gametrailers.com. the valve one didnt work for me (or its a stream, in which case, pfft)

Submitted by PeterDavis on Fri, 21/07/06 - 2:45 AM Permalink

also if you didnt know about Portal which is also shipping with Ep2, check out the trailer for that at www.gametrailers.com as well. both hd.

Submitted by Morphine on Fri, 21/07/06 - 8:38 AM Permalink

Interesting. Cross between Serious Sam and TFC. Hmm, not sure, but we'll wait and see how this saga pans out.

Submitted by PeterDavis on Tue, 25/07/06 - 3:35 AM Permalink

well i think its a wonderful looking game. i just pray people will play it. the current TFC online population is AU is very small. i just did a server refresh now (5.30pm) and theres 26 people playing. and its not really viable to join overseas servers. im on '24mbit' internet and im getting 250 pings in the US

Submitted by souri on Wed, 26/07/06 - 1:55 PM Permalink

I just hope there's a way you can purchase it seperately [:(]