Skip to main content

sumea comp# 7 - pk - Challenger #10

Submitted by pk on

Hi all, there is some very cool work happening for this comp. I decided to have a go too. Here is the start of my model... obviously still needs lots of work, I can get rid of quite a few polys, fix up other areas and obviously certain things are missing - arms! I saw a pretty cool high poly robot on another 3d site with a similar backpack shield thingy that I liked, so I decided to do something similar on the back of my model. So far it is about 2700 polys (tris), so i think im on track, especially cause i can rid of quite a few, the upper body particularly needs lots of work. anyway i will try to put some time into the model this week and finish it off...

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/2005514195155_soldier-wip.jpg…]

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 15/05/05 - 8:16 PM Permalink

Great work pauly. You may be able to whack off a few polys from the shield thing though. cheers.

Submitted by pk on Sun, 15/05/05 - 8:23 PM Permalink

cheers mate, yeah, i had the sheild thing in mind to get rid of a few polys!

Submitted by 3DArty on Mon, 16/05/05 - 12:12 PM Permalink

Looking good pk, its good to see you on bord. [:)]

Submitted by pk on Sat, 21/05/05 - 12:33 AM Permalink

Hi all,
Here's an update, I believe that the model is finished unless I get lots of feedback saying that things need work! and onto unwrapping, texturing and rigging. I think I should find out the go about UT shaders too! The model is 3499 polys (tris).

The gun is 600 polys - is this too much for this type of game?

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/200552003034_soldier-wipx.jpg…]

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/20055200318_soldier-gun-wipx…]

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/200552003142_gun.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Lechy on Sat, 21/05/05 - 8:36 PM Permalink

He's looking real good now, I especially like his hair dryer. I got 800 polys to spare on mine and I don't know what to do with them, any ideas?

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 21/05/05 - 9:26 PM Permalink

lookon' real nice. dont worry about the gun count, that's fine for UT. i think most 3rd person weapons in UT2004 are around 500 or so.

Submitted by DamienP on Sun, 22/05/05 - 9:01 AM Permalink

Sweet, this guy looks like he could kick some ass in a fight. Just wondering, is the thing on his back a shield? And can it move around and rotate to front or something if it is a shield?

Submitted by pk on Fri, 10/06/05 - 11:59 PM Permalink

Hi all, thought it was time for an update... When upwrapping I was able to get rid of about 40 polys, and then put them into other areas. The polycount is now exactly 3500. I have now started texturing, and have a base texture for most of the main model, just need to start the back shield thingy and a couple of other bits on the back. I will probably get time next week to finish the texturing and touch up what ive started. Certain parts need it a lot.

Cheers for the feedback so far...
DamienP - cheers, yeah the thing on the back is a shield, its a good idea to have it setup to rotate, i didnt do this and probably too late to go back. But i'll keep it in mind if i do something similar again.
Livewire - cheers for the info on the gun count
3darty - cheers, your model is looking great finished
lechy - cheers, hows ur model going? u better get it finished, i reckon u have a good shot at winning if u finish it.

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/200569234137_wip-pksoldier.jp…]

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 11/06/05 - 12:09 AM Permalink

looking good, my only crit is that the texture looks very blurry. with the amount of resolution we've been fiven for the comp, you should be getting a much sharper texture. can you post a shot of your unwrap wires and texture flats?

Submitted by Kizza on Sat, 11/06/05 - 12:35 AM Permalink

Very nice, I'll agree with that about the texture, could be sharper.
Are you rending with multi-pixel filtering? I turned that off and instantly got a sharper render with my textures.

The model is really neat.

Submitted by popawheelie on Sat, 11/06/05 - 9:25 PM Permalink

Nice work, IMO, could use some wear on that armor, a scratch and a dint makes it look more realistic. other than that keep it up :)

Submitted by pk on Fri, 17/06/05 - 11:26 PM Permalink

Hi all, here's an update...
nearly finished character texture, still needs touching up in some areas. I have done a rough skinning job on him so i can 'pose' him. I have started texturing the gun and will post an update of that too.

Cheers for the comments Kizza and Livewire, sorry for the blurry image i posted b4. Hopefully this new one will show the texture clearer/sharper. i changed the method of rendering for it. I will post the unwrap and texture flats soon.

Cheers popawheelie, here's an update with some more scatches etc on the armour.

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/2005616232616_soldier-wip-pos…]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 18/06/05 - 1:49 AM Permalink

cool model :D

Try rendering with Catmaull-Rom. I beleive it gives the best and sharpest rendering :)

Good Luck !

Submitted by pk on Sat, 18/06/05 - 7:21 PM Permalink

Cheers Anuxinamoon,I agree with ur comment about rendering with Catmaull-Rom. This last pic I rendered using it after my mate pic-poc recommended it to me. I can definately see the difference, i think i will check out the different methods of rendering and see what is better for film/tv too. There's definately still areas that need more detail in the texture itself, i will do some touchups when i have time next week.

Submitted by Lechy on Sat, 25/06/05 - 8:45 PM Permalink

Not bad Pauly, Definetley and improvement over the last one, I'm not sure if the chipped paint will work the way you want it to because your texture is already pretty busy, but give it a go. I really like the look of the head. The gray middle chest plate has a fuzzy line going around the inside of it, I dont think that should be there as it looks a little odd. I still don't know about the specular maps so I'll just texture mine without for now. cheers

Submitted by DamienP on Sun, 26/06/05 - 11:26 PM Permalink

Nice pk, looks great, I like the colours you've used, and I'm pretty sure we can't use a specular map.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 04/07/05 - 5:45 AM Permalink

Well done, you're challenger #10!

Submitted by popawheelie on Mon, 04/07/05 - 7:51 AM Permalink

Great to see the model finshed Pk, Great use of polys, awesome UV, and solid work on the textures(good to see someone else that loves to use burn and dodge). Well done!

pop

Posted by pk on

Hi all, there is some very cool work happening for this comp. I decided to have a go too. Here is the start of my model... obviously still needs lots of work, I can get rid of quite a few polys, fix up other areas and obviously certain things are missing - arms! I saw a pretty cool high poly robot on another 3d site with a similar backpack shield thingy that I liked, so I decided to do something similar on the back of my model. So far it is about 2700 polys (tris), so i think im on track, especially cause i can rid of quite a few, the upper body particularly needs lots of work. anyway i will try to put some time into the model this week and finish it off...

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/2005514195155_soldier-wip.jpg…]

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 15/05/05 - 8:16 PM Permalink

Great work pauly. You may be able to whack off a few polys from the shield thing though. cheers.

Submitted by pk on Sun, 15/05/05 - 8:23 PM Permalink

cheers mate, yeah, i had the sheild thing in mind to get rid of a few polys!

Submitted by 3DArty on Mon, 16/05/05 - 12:12 PM Permalink

Looking good pk, its good to see you on bord. [:)]

Submitted by pk on Sat, 21/05/05 - 12:33 AM Permalink

Hi all,
Here's an update, I believe that the model is finished unless I get lots of feedback saying that things need work! and onto unwrapping, texturing and rigging. I think I should find out the go about UT shaders too! The model is 3499 polys (tris).

The gun is 600 polys - is this too much for this type of game?

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/200552003034_soldier-wipx.jpg…]

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/20055200318_soldier-gun-wipx…]

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/200552003142_gun.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Lechy on Sat, 21/05/05 - 8:36 PM Permalink

He's looking real good now, I especially like his hair dryer. I got 800 polys to spare on mine and I don't know what to do with them, any ideas?

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 21/05/05 - 9:26 PM Permalink

lookon' real nice. dont worry about the gun count, that's fine for UT. i think most 3rd person weapons in UT2004 are around 500 or so.

Submitted by DamienP on Sun, 22/05/05 - 9:01 AM Permalink

Sweet, this guy looks like he could kick some ass in a fight. Just wondering, is the thing on his back a shield? And can it move around and rotate to front or something if it is a shield?

Submitted by pk on Fri, 10/06/05 - 11:59 PM Permalink

Hi all, thought it was time for an update... When upwrapping I was able to get rid of about 40 polys, and then put them into other areas. The polycount is now exactly 3500. I have now started texturing, and have a base texture for most of the main model, just need to start the back shield thingy and a couple of other bits on the back. I will probably get time next week to finish the texturing and touch up what ive started. Certain parts need it a lot.

Cheers for the feedback so far...
DamienP - cheers, yeah the thing on the back is a shield, its a good idea to have it setup to rotate, i didnt do this and probably too late to go back. But i'll keep it in mind if i do something similar again.
Livewire - cheers for the info on the gun count
3darty - cheers, your model is looking great finished
lechy - cheers, hows ur model going? u better get it finished, i reckon u have a good shot at winning if u finish it.

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/200569234137_wip-pksoldier.jp…]

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 11/06/05 - 12:09 AM Permalink

looking good, my only crit is that the texture looks very blurry. with the amount of resolution we've been fiven for the comp, you should be getting a much sharper texture. can you post a shot of your unwrap wires and texture flats?

Submitted by Kizza on Sat, 11/06/05 - 12:35 AM Permalink

Very nice, I'll agree with that about the texture, could be sharper.
Are you rending with multi-pixel filtering? I turned that off and instantly got a sharper render with my textures.

The model is really neat.

Submitted by popawheelie on Sat, 11/06/05 - 9:25 PM Permalink

Nice work, IMO, could use some wear on that armor, a scratch and a dint makes it look more realistic. other than that keep it up :)

Submitted by pk on Fri, 17/06/05 - 11:26 PM Permalink

Hi all, here's an update...
nearly finished character texture, still needs touching up in some areas. I have done a rough skinning job on him so i can 'pose' him. I have started texturing the gun and will post an update of that too.

Cheers for the comments Kizza and Livewire, sorry for the blurry image i posted b4. Hopefully this new one will show the texture clearer/sharper. i changed the method of rendering for it. I will post the unwrap and texture flats soon.

Cheers popawheelie, here's an update with some more scatches etc on the armour.

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/pk/2005616232616_soldier-wip-pos…]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 18/06/05 - 1:49 AM Permalink

cool model :D

Try rendering with Catmaull-Rom. I beleive it gives the best and sharpest rendering :)

Good Luck !

Submitted by pk on Sat, 18/06/05 - 7:21 PM Permalink

Cheers Anuxinamoon,I agree with ur comment about rendering with Catmaull-Rom. This last pic I rendered using it after my mate pic-poc recommended it to me. I can definately see the difference, i think i will check out the different methods of rendering and see what is better for film/tv too. There's definately still areas that need more detail in the texture itself, i will do some touchups when i have time next week.

Submitted by Lechy on Sat, 25/06/05 - 8:45 PM Permalink

Not bad Pauly, Definetley and improvement over the last one, I'm not sure if the chipped paint will work the way you want it to because your texture is already pretty busy, but give it a go. I really like the look of the head. The gray middle chest plate has a fuzzy line going around the inside of it, I dont think that should be there as it looks a little odd. I still don't know about the specular maps so I'll just texture mine without for now. cheers

Submitted by DamienP on Sun, 26/06/05 - 11:26 PM Permalink

Nice pk, looks great, I like the colours you've used, and I'm pretty sure we can't use a specular map.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 04/07/05 - 5:45 AM Permalink

Well done, you're challenger #10!

Submitted by popawheelie on Mon, 04/07/05 - 7:51 AM Permalink

Great to see the model finshed Pk, Great use of polys, awesome UV, and solid work on the textures(good to see someone else that loves to use burn and dodge). Well done!

pop