Skip to main content

Team A: Yes actually, we are still here

• ‘When it’s cold outside, am I hear in vain?’ The first of IGDA Sydney’s new events coined: “Bits & Pieces” took place on a chilly 9th of August 2011 at The Arthouse Hotel’s attic bar to the crowd of approximately 100 local game developers, if…

• In BittersBBB Episode 002, we look at Bioware’s Mass Effect 2 to discover how Core game Elements are Introduced at the outset of the game.

BittersBBB is my somewhat new project where I aim to analyse/deconstruct a game along the lines of a…

• Moving Target Games – March

Deadlines, demos and development.

Moving Target Games Team

Andrew Bittman – Project Manager / Designer
    Matthew Tuxworth – Game Programmer
    Craig Peebles – Audio Programmer
    Roberto…

• Moving Target Games – February

I think this is our first report since August, and yes, I plan to do these monthly, at least, this time. Probably more when we get the full website up, but moving on to the report:

Moving Target Team…

Submitted by Bittman on
Forum

Team A(wesome)'s Game

Given we've hit week six of our little get together, I thought I should promote ourselves a bit and let people know our game, our progress and our team. Strangely enough, we still haven't come up with a more awesome team name, so I guess I'll keep with Souri's revolutionary naming technique for now.

Team A Active Members:

Project Manager / Designer: Andrew Bittman (bittman)
Designer / Writer: Jarrod Penfold (Wednesday)
Designer: Josh Harvey (Sabre070)
Production: Sam Mayo (mayo)
Programmer: Craig Peebles (Zoid)
Programmer: Argirios Mavroudis (Argirios)
Programmer: Matthew Tuxworth (BattleElf)
Artist: Curtis (_CAD_)
Artist: Brad thomson (kit11)
Artist: Stein Lagim (Serashi)
Sound Designer: Jay Taylor (jay)

Independent Game: Death Metalé

Based off the high concept of developing a frantic space shooter with challenges generated from a player's own MP3, Death Metalé aims to converge music, visuals and challenges within the limitless space of Space.

Death Metalé's major selling point is the ability for player's to upload their own track/playlist and dive into challenges the game can provide based off your song. Imagine powerful enemies spawned from aggressive guitar chords of Black Betty by Spiderbait; imagine fireworks falling slowly over your ship to the melodic violins of Bittersweet Symphony by The View; imagine targets which pop onto the screen with every drumbeat of Canned Heat by Jamiroquai. This is a game which appeals to a wide audience and has a lot of room to develop outside of the original concept.

Week 5 Progress:

Though our sixth week together, it has only really been our second week properly working on Death Metalé. I should firstly note that the unaccounted weeks above are where we threw around concepts and clarified them to see how possible it was to go ahead with. We begun with 12 concepts, worked our way down to 7 to get a better idea of those 7 and finally decided to see whether it was feasible to make Death Metale given that audio analysis could be possibly game breaking. However, once everyone cleared it from their perspective, we begun work on Death Metale.

Given most of our full time commitments and online-only meetings, I make no pretenses to anyone reading this that progress is speed or infallible. However, we've already got a lot of tasks in the works, most importantly we already have a basic level of audio analysis, which we are working on improving upon and using to associate values with design ideas. We've also kick-started work on using Ogre 3D to develop our space fighter simulator, and artists have already thrown a few concept ship designs around for thought.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 16/03/09 - 4:56 PM Permalink

Sounds like you've got a solid team and idea happening! Can't wait to see how the game progresses. All the best, guys!

Submitted by Bittman on Sun, 26/04/09 - 10:09 PM Permalink

Things are looking good, slowed down a bit over Easter break but that was to be expected.

Quite possibly we should have a playable prototype within a fortnight which I will put here for people to view and comment upon. I'll do it probably with another update, any art we have by then, and possibly a properly documented GDD (it's currently spread across a wiki, but I should try compile it to throw alongside this package).

Posted by Bittman on
Forum

Team A(wesome)'s Game

Given we've hit week six of our little get together, I thought I should promote ourselves a bit and let people know our game, our progress and our team. Strangely enough, we still haven't come up with a more awesome team name, so I guess I'll keep with Souri's revolutionary naming technique for now.

Team A Active Members:

Project Manager / Designer: Andrew Bittman (bittman)
Designer / Writer: Jarrod Penfold (Wednesday)
Designer: Josh Harvey (Sabre070)
Production: Sam Mayo (mayo)
Programmer: Craig Peebles (Zoid)
Programmer: Argirios Mavroudis (Argirios)
Programmer: Matthew Tuxworth (BattleElf)
Artist: Curtis (_CAD_)
Artist: Brad thomson (kit11)
Artist: Stein Lagim (Serashi)
Sound Designer: Jay Taylor (jay)

Independent Game: Death Metalé

Based off the high concept of developing a frantic space shooter with challenges generated from a player's own MP3, Death Metalé aims to converge music, visuals and challenges within the limitless space of Space.

Death Metalé's major selling point is the ability for player's to upload their own track/playlist and dive into challenges the game can provide based off your song. Imagine powerful enemies spawned from aggressive guitar chords of Black Betty by Spiderbait; imagine fireworks falling slowly over your ship to the melodic violins of Bittersweet Symphony by The View; imagine targets which pop onto the screen with every drumbeat of Canned Heat by Jamiroquai. This is a game which appeals to a wide audience and has a lot of room to develop outside of the original concept.

Week 5 Progress:

Though our sixth week together, it has only really been our second week properly working on Death Metalé. I should firstly note that the unaccounted weeks above are where we threw around concepts and clarified them to see how possible it was to go ahead with. We begun with 12 concepts, worked our way down to 7 to get a better idea of those 7 and finally decided to see whether it was feasible to make Death Metale given that audio analysis could be possibly game breaking. However, once everyone cleared it from their perspective, we begun work on Death Metale.

Given most of our full time commitments and online-only meetings, I make no pretenses to anyone reading this that progress is speed or infallible. However, we've already got a lot of tasks in the works, most importantly we already have a basic level of audio analysis, which we are working on improving upon and using to associate values with design ideas. We've also kick-started work on using Ogre 3D to develop our space fighter simulator, and artists have already thrown a few concept ship designs around for thought.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 16/03/09 - 4:56 PM Permalink

Sounds like you've got a solid team and idea happening! Can't wait to see how the game progresses. All the best, guys!

Submitted by Bittman on Sun, 26/04/09 - 10:09 PM Permalink

Things are looking good, slowed down a bit over Easter break but that was to be expected.

Quite possibly we should have a playable prototype within a fortnight which I will put here for people to view and comment upon. I'll do it probably with another update, any art we have by then, and possibly a properly documented GDD (it's currently spread across a wiki, but I should try compile it to throw alongside this package).