Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #2 - 3D - Malus

Submitted by Malus on

Hey guys,

Well I've started the concept for my submission. I'm moving this weekend so I won't be able to get a start on the model until mid next week at least.

Thinking of doing him in Maya instead of my native 3D Max just to further the addition of feathers in my old cap. [xx(]

Hes a WWII veteran named General Paton [:p], A Gun lovin' Gi Joe take no shit kinda guy. Need someone to take on all those nazi zombies popping up in games recently.

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/PatonMK2concept.jpg[/img]

Dean Ferguson - 3D/2D Artist

http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/Portfolio/index.html

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 15/03/03 - 6:58 AM Permalink

cool concept malus.

should come up a treat in 3d :D

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 15/03/03 - 7:53 AM Permalink

patton eh... wheres the ivory handled revolvers!!

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 15/03/03 - 11:24 AM Permalink

Cheers guys,
I really like this idea actually, looking forward to starting it.
I knew I forgot something, the revolvers!! Would look a treat, I might model them after the comp since they'll bump the count way over the limit.
I left out his shiny steel helmet too. :P

God bless gun totting americans.

Submitted by adie on Sat, 15/03/03 - 12:17 PM Permalink

looking good Malus!! One thing though.. try to remember to sketch out the hole form of the dude before u start on details .It helps to balance out the proportions.

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 16/03/03 - 3:20 AM Permalink

I don't bother fleshing out the whole thing when I sketch, maybe for a finished piece but that pic is just a rough 2 hour job for my own reference. Didn't think the proportions were off anyway, which area do you mean?

Submitted by adie on Mon, 17/03/03 - 8:18 PM Permalink

his legs look like they might me a bit long?? just a little..I was just saying to sketch it out so u get a balanced design

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 19/03/03 - 8:51 AM Permalink

Adie: Actually after your post I checked the proportions with one of the hundreds of anatomy books I own and his legs are a little short. :P

But like I said just a quick sketch for reference. Not going to model directly from this pic, might either try freehand modelling it or doing some orthographic sketches.

woohoo post 100!! do I get a sumea decoder ring?

Submitted by adie on Wed, 19/03/03 - 8:48 PM Permalink

theres only one modern anatomy master and thats bridgman so if u havent got one of his books get one because he's the best !!

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/03/03 - 11:43 AM Permalink

Yeah a bit vague for my liking, nice and loose for painting but I prefer Hogarth for my illustrative work, hes more finely detailed, scientific, methodical.

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Thu, 20/03/03 - 11:48 AM Permalink

hogarth's great for exagerated dynamic comic book stuff, his women just look damn scary.
if you are going for something more realistic theres a great book called anatomy for the artist.

nannoo nannoo

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/03/03 - 12:10 PM Permalink

Got it, and about a gazillion others, the best overall is Anatomy drawing school, published by Konemann, not in print anymore but it is by far the best piece of anatomical reference material available.

Submitted by adie on Thu, 20/03/03 - 10:05 PM Permalink

yeah i would have to agree with u Anatomy drawing school is a kick ass book for anatomical reference(my copy was stolen when i was at uni) but if u want to Lern how to draw a human Bridgman is the most easy to copy from ..yeah true his woman are kinda chunky but they teach u the right form

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 22/03/03 - 9:39 AM Permalink

Finally got to start him today.

4 hrs work on maya, bit slower than usual but I'm still getting used to it.

Hes currently only 1300 polys so when his mouth is done I should have 1600 or so for the rest which should be more than enough.

This image is updated so its now 2800 and has taken around 8 hours, just cruising along with this guy getting comfortable with maya.

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/Patonmk2wip01.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 22/03/03 - 10:33 AM Permalink

looking solid so far malus, I've gotta learn maya somewhere down the track, but at the moment, I personally find its low poly tools are below max's standard - I like working triangulated..

Still, you've gotten a good accurate representation of your concept so far, looking forward to seeing how you go.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 22/03/03 - 10:38 AM Permalink

looking good malus.
end results for this challenge should be very impressive :)

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 22/03/03 - 11:24 AM Permalink

Scorcerer_Bob: thanks man, yeah I too think Maya's low poly modelling is below Max's, getting used to it though. Maya's probably a better piece of software overall though but for low poly game modelling Max still gets my vote. (BTW: I triangulate when I do the cleanup.)

inglis: Cheers bud, your voting for me right?! [:P] lol

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 25/03/03 - 11:57 PM Permalink

Ive updated my model so go to the first page to see his progress.
He's coming along pretty well, i'm enjoying modelling this guy, have been taking my time, trying new things in Maya with him.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 26/03/03 - 12:12 AM Permalink

That model looks awesome!!.. Great work [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 26/03/03 - 9:53 AM Permalink

Thanks souri, should be uvmapped and getting on with the texture by tommorrow night if I can squeeze a few hours in tonight and tommorrow.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 12:29 PM Permalink

Well the mesh is completed, 3000 polys exact-amundo!

Pretty happy with it, got all the detail in that I put on the concept I think.
Has taken around 9 hours to do including the UV mapping, slower than most of my other models but Ive only been using Maya for a whole 2 wks and so I'm ok with the time its taken.

Just texturing now, yippee the cool(er) bit. [:D]

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/Patonmesh02.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/Patonmesh03.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Dan Ward on Thu, 27/03/03 - 6:44 PM Permalink

very nice well done!

nice clean mesh and a cool character, specially like the face.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 27/03/03 - 7:39 PM Permalink

You finished the legs off, nice work there, simple solid but coolleg design, I like the fact that they have got thet little bit of a goat angle to them helping him look like a man of action despite his girth.

Now UVW map that guy.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 11:38 PM Permalink

Dan: thanks man, I really wanted to keep the mesh tight and its good to see it payed off. Believe it or not but the face was the quickest part to model?!

Pants: The legs are done! yikes! Didn't concept them so I struggled with a few ideas, glad you like the designof the boots, he was looking cumbersome and I had hoped they would make him look more dynamic. Guess it worked. [;)]

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 27/03/03 - 11:50 PM Permalink

ah nice job once again malus-
hows the maya learning curve going?

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 11:54 PM Permalink

Its not to bad, I mean modelling is modelling right, just different tools. The new game modelling scripts from the Alias website are helping.
I want to play with the highend stuff, maybe do that animated short I've always wanted to do.
I'm torn between Maya and Max now though, oh the agony.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 29/03/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

I lost one of my folders so Im back to uvw mapping lol, oh well next few hours and I'll be done...again.

Submitted by RasTuS on Tue, 01/04/03 - 12:00 PM Permalink

you should post more updates and get back to texturing it

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 03/04/03 - 11:43 AM Permalink

very expressive model, but not certain if it is 3000 triangles, looks sort of like it, but not sure (getting laszy, not going to count them in preview)

DSC

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 03/04/03 - 9:10 PM Permalink

its exactly 3000 david, Im a triangle nazi, shits me when people don't get the count right since its the most basic of knowledge if you want to make games. lol

Posted by Malus on

Hey guys,

Well I've started the concept for my submission. I'm moving this weekend so I won't be able to get a start on the model until mid next week at least.

Thinking of doing him in Maya instead of my native 3D Max just to further the addition of feathers in my old cap. [xx(]

Hes a WWII veteran named General Paton [:p], A Gun lovin' Gi Joe take no shit kinda guy. Need someone to take on all those nazi zombies popping up in games recently.

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/PatonMK2concept.jpg[/img]

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 15/03/03 - 6:58 AM Permalink

cool concept malus.

should come up a treat in 3d :D

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 15/03/03 - 7:53 AM Permalink

patton eh... wheres the ivory handled revolvers!!

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 15/03/03 - 11:24 AM Permalink

Cheers guys,
I really like this idea actually, looking forward to starting it.
I knew I forgot something, the revolvers!! Would look a treat, I might model them after the comp since they'll bump the count way over the limit.
I left out his shiny steel helmet too. :P

God bless gun totting americans.

Submitted by adie on Sat, 15/03/03 - 12:17 PM Permalink

looking good Malus!! One thing though.. try to remember to sketch out the hole form of the dude before u start on details .It helps to balance out the proportions.

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 16/03/03 - 3:20 AM Permalink

I don't bother fleshing out the whole thing when I sketch, maybe for a finished piece but that pic is just a rough 2 hour job for my own reference. Didn't think the proportions were off anyway, which area do you mean?

Submitted by adie on Mon, 17/03/03 - 8:18 PM Permalink

his legs look like they might me a bit long?? just a little..I was just saying to sketch it out so u get a balanced design

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 19/03/03 - 8:51 AM Permalink

Adie: Actually after your post I checked the proportions with one of the hundreds of anatomy books I own and his legs are a little short. :P

But like I said just a quick sketch for reference. Not going to model directly from this pic, might either try freehand modelling it or doing some orthographic sketches.

woohoo post 100!! do I get a sumea decoder ring?

Submitted by adie on Wed, 19/03/03 - 8:48 PM Permalink

theres only one modern anatomy master and thats bridgman so if u havent got one of his books get one because he's the best !!

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/03/03 - 11:43 AM Permalink

Yeah a bit vague for my liking, nice and loose for painting but I prefer Hogarth for my illustrative work, hes more finely detailed, scientific, methodical.

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Thu, 20/03/03 - 11:48 AM Permalink

hogarth's great for exagerated dynamic comic book stuff, his women just look damn scary.
if you are going for something more realistic theres a great book called anatomy for the artist.

nannoo nannoo

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/03/03 - 12:10 PM Permalink

Got it, and about a gazillion others, the best overall is Anatomy drawing school, published by Konemann, not in print anymore but it is by far the best piece of anatomical reference material available.

Submitted by adie on Thu, 20/03/03 - 10:05 PM Permalink

yeah i would have to agree with u Anatomy drawing school is a kick ass book for anatomical reference(my copy was stolen when i was at uni) but if u want to Lern how to draw a human Bridgman is the most easy to copy from ..yeah true his woman are kinda chunky but they teach u the right form

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 22/03/03 - 9:39 AM Permalink

Finally got to start him today.

4 hrs work on maya, bit slower than usual but I'm still getting used to it.

Hes currently only 1300 polys so when his mouth is done I should have 1600 or so for the rest which should be more than enough.

This image is updated so its now 2800 and has taken around 8 hours, just cruising along with this guy getting comfortable with maya.

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/Patonmk2wip01.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 22/03/03 - 10:33 AM Permalink

looking solid so far malus, I've gotta learn maya somewhere down the track, but at the moment, I personally find its low poly tools are below max's standard - I like working triangulated..

Still, you've gotten a good accurate representation of your concept so far, looking forward to seeing how you go.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 22/03/03 - 10:38 AM Permalink

looking good malus.
end results for this challenge should be very impressive :)

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 22/03/03 - 11:24 AM Permalink

Scorcerer_Bob: thanks man, yeah I too think Maya's low poly modelling is below Max's, getting used to it though. Maya's probably a better piece of software overall though but for low poly game modelling Max still gets my vote. (BTW: I triangulate when I do the cleanup.)

inglis: Cheers bud, your voting for me right?! [:P] lol

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 25/03/03 - 11:57 PM Permalink

Ive updated my model so go to the first page to see his progress.
He's coming along pretty well, i'm enjoying modelling this guy, have been taking my time, trying new things in Maya with him.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 26/03/03 - 12:12 AM Permalink

That model looks awesome!!.. Great work [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 26/03/03 - 9:53 AM Permalink

Thanks souri, should be uvmapped and getting on with the texture by tommorrow night if I can squeeze a few hours in tonight and tommorrow.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 12:29 PM Permalink

Well the mesh is completed, 3000 polys exact-amundo!

Pretty happy with it, got all the detail in that I put on the concept I think.
Has taken around 9 hours to do including the UV mapping, slower than most of my other models but Ive only been using Maya for a whole 2 wks and so I'm ok with the time its taken.

Just texturing now, yippee the cool(er) bit. [:D]

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/Patonmesh02.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/Patonmesh03.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Dan Ward on Thu, 27/03/03 - 6:44 PM Permalink

very nice well done!

nice clean mesh and a cool character, specially like the face.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 27/03/03 - 7:39 PM Permalink

You finished the legs off, nice work there, simple solid but coolleg design, I like the fact that they have got thet little bit of a goat angle to them helping him look like a man of action despite his girth.

Now UVW map that guy.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 11:38 PM Permalink

Dan: thanks man, I really wanted to keep the mesh tight and its good to see it payed off. Believe it or not but the face was the quickest part to model?!

Pants: The legs are done! yikes! Didn't concept them so I struggled with a few ideas, glad you like the designof the boots, he was looking cumbersome and I had hoped they would make him look more dynamic. Guess it worked. [;)]

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 27/03/03 - 11:50 PM Permalink

ah nice job once again malus-
hows the maya learning curve going?

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 11:54 PM Permalink

Its not to bad, I mean modelling is modelling right, just different tools. The new game modelling scripts from the Alias website are helping.
I want to play with the highend stuff, maybe do that animated short I've always wanted to do.
I'm torn between Maya and Max now though, oh the agony.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 29/03/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

I lost one of my folders so Im back to uvw mapping lol, oh well next few hours and I'll be done...again.

Submitted by RasTuS on Tue, 01/04/03 - 12:00 PM Permalink

you should post more updates and get back to texturing it

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 03/04/03 - 11:43 AM Permalink

very expressive model, but not certain if it is 3000 triangles, looks sort of like it, but not sure (getting laszy, not going to count them in preview)

DSC

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 03/04/03 - 9:10 PM Permalink

its exactly 3000 david, Im a triangle nazi, shits me when people don't get the count right since its the most basic of knowledge if you want to make games. lol