Skip to main content

Programmer Challenge #1 rules

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on

Ok, starting a new thread with the rules..
Same as Redwyre has written..

SUMEA PROGRAMMER CHALLENGE #1

1. Challenge: Water mesh must be created dynamically, if indeed you choose that path. You are allowed models for objects that may interact with the water, etc.
2. Hardware spec: Must be able to run on minimum gf2mx. That means selecting software vertex shaders and disabling pixel shaders when nessisary. (The maximum vertex shader version on pre-DX9 hardware is vs1.1, however higher versions can be run in software.)
3. Entry Size: 3MB limit (ZIP or RAR), this includes all libraries needed other then DirectX or OpenGL. (ie. fmod, glut, etc).
Should be able to run after being extracted from the archive.
4. Tech: You must provide a way to turn on and off wireframe rendering of the water at runtime.
5. Source: All source code relevent to the simulation must be submitted in a seperate ZIP or RAR file. (There is no reason to MAKE people give their entire source tree, however they should be free to do so)
6: Entry must be submitted by midnight Sunday 15th of June. Details to follow on how to submit.

Note that if you code an effect that specifically requires pixel shaders, #2 will be waived. But if people can't watch it, they can't vote for it.

7: Submit source code of water routine, and not the engine code? (sorry, I'm not a coder :).. anyone want to write the 7th rule about source and I will update it here..

Submitted by AndrewM on Sat, 19/04/03 - 10:39 PM Permalink

This challenge is not a bad idea, but I think to make it more worthwhile (from a code perspective) is to make the challenges follow on from one another, requiring that you DONT make 'demo' code. What this will do hopefully is build up some nifty code that everyone here can use. (ie. like writing an engine). Otherwise it's just a waste of time IMO, if the code is not usable (most demo code isnt, except some specific bits).

Just my thoughts.

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 21/04/03 - 2:35 AM Permalink

You should've read the discussion thread that's a bit further down before posting, there *was* some toying with the idea of demos that followed on, but it was rejected.

Submitted by redwyre on Mon, 21/04/03 - 3:39 AM Permalink

I dont think it was actually rejected, it just wasn't the major concern. Everyone should be writing modular code, so combining all the resultant code should be easy enough.

Submitted by AndrewM on Tue, 22/04/03 - 12:06 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Maitrek

You should've read the discussion thread that's a bit further down before posting, there *was* some toying with the idea of demos that followed on, but it was rejected.

I did read it. I just wanted to comment [B)]

Submitted by Zaph on Sat, 10/05/03 - 8:04 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

1. Challenge: Water mesh must be created dynamically, if indeed you choose that path. You are allowed models for objects that may interact with the water, etc.
2. Hardware spec: Must be able to run on minimum gf2mx. That means selecting software vertex shaders and disabling pixel shaders when nessisary. (The maximum vertex shader version on pre-DX9 hardware is vs1.1, however higher versions can be run in software.)
3. Entry Size: 3MB limit (ZIP or RAR), this includes all libraries needed other then DirectX or OpenGL. (ie. fmod, glut, etc).
4. Tech: You must provide a way to turn on and off wireframe rendering of the water at runtime.
5. Source: All source code relevent to the simulation must be submitted in a seperate ZIP or RAR file. (There is no reason to MAKE people give their entire source tree, however they should be free to do so)
6: Entry must be submitted by midnight Sunday 15th of June. Details to follow on how to submit.

Note that if you code an effect that specifically requires pixel shaders, #2 will be waived. But if people can't watch it, they can't vote for it.

7: Submit source code of water routine, and not the engine code? (sorry, I'm not a coder :).. anyone want to write the 7th rule about source and I will update it here..

Submitted by Zaph on Sat, 10/05/03 - 8:06 PM Permalink

quote:[i]

(lets try sending that again)

Is there anywhere that actually tells you what the challenge is ?
From the rules I can infer that it is to do with water (but it says "If indeed you choose that path" - so I'm confused)

Can someone point me to the actual challenge description ? I'm sure it's around somewhere

Thanks,
Zaph

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 10/05/03 - 10:32 PM Permalink

I think the challenge is designed to be very open. What it's saying is that water modelling must be done dynamically (at run time), not statically. If a mesh is used, it must be created dynamically, and similar for other forms of water modelling. If you are using particles I'm sure they'll let you get away with some static textures and whatnot. Just use common sense and keep statically created stuff to a minimum and argue with the judges later :)

Submitted by Zaph on Sun, 11/05/03 - 1:39 AM Permalink

I think the challenge is designed to be very open. What it's saying is that water modelling must be done dynamically (at run time), not statically. If a mesh is used, it must be created dynamically, and similar for other forms of water modelling. If you are using particles I'm sure they'll let you get away with some static textures and whatnot. Just use common sense and keep statically created stuff to a minimum and argue with the judges later :)

So what is the actual challenge ? I still don't get it!

I guess if you weren't in the discussion when the challenge was created you are kind of left out of the loop :-)

Is the challenge to create a water effect, or is it something else ?

Zaph

Submitted by lava monkey on Sun, 11/05/03 - 3:48 AM Permalink

Yeh a water effect,
Like some waves or something...
Or if your feeling really tricky, water colliding with things
we left it pretty open so everyone could join in

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 13/05/03 - 11:10 AM Permalink

Yeah looks like that most important part of the competition spec was overlooked...it's only just implied in those specifications above.

Submitted by sh0ck on Wed, 11/06/03 - 6:13 AM Permalink

Damn, i really gotta keep up with the deadline..

Well from what I know, best bet is to generate everything and simulate water.. shouldnt be too hard :)

Submitted by souri on Mon, 16/06/03 - 7:44 PM Permalink

Well, there hasn't been any entries, and the deadline has passed. Shall I declare this challenge dead and buried?

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 16/06/03 - 10:02 PM Permalink

To be honest, I would say so :)
I guess either the programmers around here are very lazy (that's the category I fall into) or they feel that this isn't a decent arena to promote their work and they probably are doing "other stuff" (as they like to call it), like making code framework that they'll hardly use for projects that will never happen etc etc...

Also I don't know if anyone knew where to submit the competition entries. There were a couple of posts relating to submitting stuff lying around the place.

quote:6: Entry must be submitted by midnight Sunday 15th of June. Details to follow on how to submit.

Did you follow up on that one?

Submitted by souri on Tue, 17/06/03 - 12:02 AM Permalink

I was hoping to secure some more webspace so challengers could upload it onto here, but since no one has asked about it at all, I'm guessing no one was really up to that stage anyway...

Submitted by McSwan on Thu, 19/06/03 - 12:23 AM Permalink

I had no idea how to submit the stuff properly, so I started a thread asking that same question, but had no replies. Look under "my water submission". I've finished a water effect, but need to know if it's ok in the format that it is in. (u can downlaod it)

Cheers
Michael Swan

Posted by souri on

Submitted by AndrewM on Sat, 19/04/03 - 10:39 PM Permalink

This challenge is not a bad idea, but I think to make it more worthwhile (from a code perspective) is to make the challenges follow on from one another, requiring that you DONT make 'demo' code. What this will do hopefully is build up some nifty code that everyone here can use. (ie. like writing an engine). Otherwise it's just a waste of time IMO, if the code is not usable (most demo code isnt, except some specific bits).

Just my thoughts.

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 21/04/03 - 2:35 AM Permalink

Submitted by redwyre on Mon, 21/04/03 - 3:39 AM Permalink

I dont think it was actually rejected, it just wasn't the major concern. Everyone should be writing modular code, so combining all the resultant code should be easy enough.

Submitted by AndrewM on Tue, 22/04/03 - 12:06 AM Permalink

I did read it. I just wanted to comment [B)]

Submitted by Zaph on Sat, 10/05/03 - 8:04 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Submitted by Zaph on Sat, 10/05/03 - 8:06 PM Permalink

quote:[i]

(lets try sending that again)

Is there anywhere that actually tells you what the challenge is ?
From the rules I can infer that it is to do with water (but it says "If indeed you choose that path" - so I'm confused)

Can someone point me to the actual challenge description ? I'm sure it's around somewhere

Thanks,
Zaph

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 10/05/03 - 10:32 PM Permalink

Submitted by Zaph on Sun, 11/05/03 - 1:39 AM Permalink

So what is the actual challenge ? I still don't get it!

I guess if you weren't in the discussion when the challenge was created you are kind of left out of the loop :-)

Is the challenge to create a water effect, or is it something else ?

Zaph

Submitted by lava monkey on Sun, 11/05/03 - 3:48 AM Permalink

Yeh a water effect,
Like some waves or something...
Or if your feeling really tricky, water colliding with things
we left it pretty open so everyone could join in

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 13/05/03 - 11:10 AM Permalink

Yeah looks like that most important part of the competition spec was overlooked...it's only just implied in those specifications above.

Submitted by sh0ck on Wed, 11/06/03 - 6:13 AM Permalink

Damn, i really gotta keep up with the deadline..

Well from what I know, best bet is to generate everything and simulate water.. shouldnt be too hard :)

Submitted by souri on Mon, 16/06/03 - 7:44 PM Permalink

Well, there hasn't been any entries, and the deadline has passed. Shall I declare this challenge dead and buried?

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 16/06/03 - 10:02 PM Permalink

To be honest, I would say so :)
I guess either the programmers around here are very lazy (that's the category I fall into) or they feel that this isn't a decent arena to promote their work and they probably are doing "other stuff" (as they like to call it), like making code framework that they'll hardly use for projects that will never happen etc etc...

Also I don't know if anyone knew where to submit the competition entries. There were a couple of posts relating to submitting stuff lying around the place.

quote:6: Entry must be submitted by midnight Sunday 15th of June. Details to follow on how to submit.

Did you follow up on that one?

Submitted by souri on Tue, 17/06/03 - 12:02 AM Permalink

I was hoping to secure some more webspace so challengers could upload it onto here, but since no one has asked about it at all, I'm guessing no one was really up to that stage anyway...

Submitted by McSwan on Thu, 19/06/03 - 12:23 AM Permalink

I had no idea how to submit the stuff properly, so I started a thread asking that same question, but had no replies. Look under "my water submission". I've finished a water effect, but need to know if it's ok in the format that it is in. (u can downlaod it)

Cheers
Michael Swan