Skip to main content

WIP: All terrain vehicle

Submitted by Malus on

Hey guys/gals,

Just after some critiques on this vehicle, Ive been trying to find decent reference images for the under carriage, any ideas?

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/wip4wd1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/wip4wd2.jpg[/img]

Dean Ferguson - 3D/2D Artist

http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/Portfolio/index.html

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 17/03/03 - 9:48 PM Permalink

not bad, but i think as far as this being a game model it would not go down to well. The poly are spend in areas that which could have been used some place eles adding more detail to the over all shape.

I to modeled a vehicle a little under a year ago. It is a bit of fun if you character model all the time, something a bit different.[:)]

Submitted by Dan Ward on Tue, 18/03/03 - 12:30 AM Permalink

Looks good, personally i think you need differnt mags on it .. they dont really suit the miltary/futuristic look of the rest of the jeep.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 18/03/03 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Doord: which areas do you mean?
Its meant to be a squarish style vehicle similar to a hummer, the front wheel guards are the only round areas on the body work. Why wouldnt it go down in a game?

Dan: No actually meant to be high tech, its an older style vehicle that has had a cannon fixed to it, think post apocalyptic sort of era.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 25/03/03 - 12:57 AM Permalink

I actually quite like the look of this vehicle although there are a couple of things that could be changed to give the design a little more consistency/personality.

First off - I love the frame (the squarish design gives it a feeling of robustness) and I like most of the textures. Have you considered changing the tire textures? The tires look like those on a car - perhaps you should have something that matches the model better - something with lots of thick, fat treads? I also agree with Dan in changing the mags - you could really go to town on something creative here.

I think that the gun could use a different design on the back. Not sure what - but it looks quite streamlined compared to the rest of the squarish look of the vehicle.

Does anyone remember the G.I Joe 'Dreadnoks' car? It had a dual-barrel machine gun at the front. Something like that would be quite cool and would break the traditional mould of a 'vehicle with a gun on the back'. Not terribly practical though, of course.

I really like the bullet holes textures and scratchy paint. Perhaps you could add a little rust or 'dirty it up' a little?

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 25/03/03 - 1:01 AM Permalink

quote:[
Does anyone remember the G.I Joe 'Dreadnoks' car? It had a dual-barrel machine gun at the front. Something like that would be quite cool and would break the traditional mould of a 'vehicle with a gun on the back'. Not terribly practical though, of course.

By G.I Joe, I mean the toys. The Dreadnoks car was a Cobra vehicle

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 25/03/03 - 2:23 AM Permalink

the mags are off my old mans jeep so they should be pretty chunky :P
I had dreadknocks car lol. the textures are a WIP as well, needs heaps of work, on hold for the moment though.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 25/03/03 - 8:32 PM Permalink

The amount of detail and segment number in the wheels, look a bit high poly to the rest of the car. And also the texture on the wheel don't fit in with the detail on the model.

I think you would be best off to have flat wheel model with the texture you have on them.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 25/03/03 - 10:39 PM Permalink

You have to remember the textures are about 10% done so the wheels will be dirtied up etc

And the wheels are alot rounder than the body because the body is meant to be squarish like a hummer, the tyres needed to be that high for the roundness i was after.

Submitted by tomcat on Wed, 26/03/03 - 1:15 PM Permalink

overall its a very nice vehicle, but I agree that the poly allocation should be refined.

Also, try to redesign the guns, elevate them a liitle just so you can have more freedom and space to move them around on their pivot point.

Anyway its nice and will be even nicer when u finish it!

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Tomcat: Thanks for the comments, I'm still not sure I agree with everyone on the poly distribution as i distribute according to the shape needed and deformation issues not just balancing it equally and since i had the chassis how I wanted it i was free to use the remaining for the wheels, [:P] but hey I could be wrong it happens lol.

The guns a bit of an eyesore but with the textures on it it should be alot better, its only meant ot rotate horizontally btw.

Submitted by tomcat on Thu, 27/03/03 - 3:38 PM Permalink

fair enough! and in that case nice work but I still would add a verticle rotational plane of motion for the guns!

but thats just an idea ;)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 11:35 PM Permalink

I think youre right about the gun though , it looks like an after thought. Might redoe it if I get the time, does anyone know of good under chassis reference?

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 28/03/03 - 12:06 AM Permalink

couple thoughts :)
- i like the body- especially the front
- think the gun could do with a little make over
- how about two two rails going around the back (like a tray)?
- antenna(s)
- lights on the top rail
- as u said texture is very early-

keep it up :)
how many models have u got going at the moment?

have u got an update?

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 28/03/03 - 12:11 AM Permalink

10 models on the go lol, I'm a sadist. Nice ideas man, might have to nick them.

Posted by Malus on

Hey guys/gals,

Just after some critiques on this vehicle, Ive been trying to find decent reference images for the under carriage, any ideas?

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/wip4wd1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/wip4wd2.jpg[/img]

Dean Ferguson - 3D/2D Artist

http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/Portfolio/index.html

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 17/03/03 - 9:48 PM Permalink

not bad, but i think as far as this being a game model it would not go down to well. The poly are spend in areas that which could have been used some place eles adding more detail to the over all shape.

I to modeled a vehicle a little under a year ago. It is a bit of fun if you character model all the time, something a bit different.[:)]

Submitted by Dan Ward on Tue, 18/03/03 - 12:30 AM Permalink

Looks good, personally i think you need differnt mags on it .. they dont really suit the miltary/futuristic look of the rest of the jeep.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 18/03/03 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Doord: which areas do you mean?
Its meant to be a squarish style vehicle similar to a hummer, the front wheel guards are the only round areas on the body work. Why wouldnt it go down in a game?

Dan: No actually meant to be high tech, its an older style vehicle that has had a cannon fixed to it, think post apocalyptic sort of era.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 25/03/03 - 12:57 AM Permalink

I actually quite like the look of this vehicle although there are a couple of things that could be changed to give the design a little more consistency/personality.

First off - I love the frame (the squarish design gives it a feeling of robustness) and I like most of the textures. Have you considered changing the tire textures? The tires look like those on a car - perhaps you should have something that matches the model better - something with lots of thick, fat treads? I also agree with Dan in changing the mags - you could really go to town on something creative here.

I think that the gun could use a different design on the back. Not sure what - but it looks quite streamlined compared to the rest of the squarish look of the vehicle.

I really like the bullet holes textures and scratchy paint. Perhaps you could add a little rust or 'dirty it up' a little?

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 25/03/03 - 1:01 AM Permalink

quote:[

By G.I Joe, I mean the toys. The Dreadnoks car was a Cobra vehicle

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 25/03/03 - 2:23 AM Permalink

the mags are off my old mans jeep so they should be pretty chunky :P
I had dreadknocks car lol. the textures are a WIP as well, needs heaps of work, on hold for the moment though.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 25/03/03 - 8:32 PM Permalink

The amount of detail and segment number in the wheels, look a bit high poly to the rest of the car. And also the texture on the wheel don't fit in with the detail on the model.

I think you would be best off to have flat wheel model with the texture you have on them.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 25/03/03 - 10:39 PM Permalink

You have to remember the textures are about 10% done so the wheels will be dirtied up etc

And the wheels are alot rounder than the body because the body is meant to be squarish like a hummer, the tyres needed to be that high for the roundness i was after.

Submitted by tomcat on Wed, 26/03/03 - 1:15 PM Permalink

overall its a very nice vehicle, but I agree that the poly allocation should be refined.

Also, try to redesign the guns, elevate them a liitle just so you can have more freedom and space to move them around on their pivot point.

Anyway its nice and will be even nicer when u finish it!

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Tomcat: Thanks for the comments, I'm still not sure I agree with everyone on the poly distribution as i distribute according to the shape needed and deformation issues not just balancing it equally and since i had the chassis how I wanted it i was free to use the remaining for the wheels, [:P] but hey I could be wrong it happens lol.

The guns a bit of an eyesore but with the textures on it it should be alot better, its only meant ot rotate horizontally btw.

Submitted by tomcat on Thu, 27/03/03 - 3:38 PM Permalink

fair enough! and in that case nice work but I still would add a verticle rotational plane of motion for the guns!

but thats just an idea ;)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 11:35 PM Permalink

I think youre right about the gun though , it looks like an after thought. Might redoe it if I get the time, does anyone know of good under chassis reference?

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 28/03/03 - 12:06 AM Permalink

couple thoughts :)
- i like the body- especially the front
- think the gun could do with a little make over
- how about two two rails going around the back (like a tray)?
- antenna(s)
- lights on the top rail
- as u said texture is very early-

keep it up :)
how many models have u got going at the moment?

have u got an update?

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 28/03/03 - 12:11 AM Permalink

10 models on the go lol, I'm a sadist. Nice ideas man, might have to nick them.