Skip to main content

Inglis, a question for ya!

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Hey, just saw your website.. http://effectism.com/sample/ awesome stuff! What 3d program do you use, and what plugin (if any) did you use for the global illumination? What's that walkway scene thing you're building at the bottom of the page going to be for?

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:19 AM Permalink

im using 3dsmax.
gi is only being used in that last environment. its just a basic setup using max5s new gi system.
that scene is just for my showreel that im working on at the moment, thats the purpose of that page- to show what im currently working on for the reel.

thanks for the feedback :)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:24 AM Permalink

ahh ok.. it lights up the scene pretty nice.. the detail and style in that scene is incredible - how did you get rope to wrap around objects like that? [:)]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:29 AM Permalink

I wish they had global illumination in max4! I can't fake gi :) My max5 doesn't work I got to use it for ten days but after that I couldn't even dream of dishing out that sort of money for something that's gonna be updated again :(

[}:)][:X] Moo kiss *grin* Souri you're a legend making these icons [:D] I love mixing drinks that were just not meant to be mixed together I just made a hotchocolate with icemagic choc mint and bubblegum flavour squirted in..the COOLEST part is that now all these round bubbly gunk pieces are floating on top so it looks like something deadly that only icky evil people serve[:D] like me [8)]

//Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve. \(anon)

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:32 AM Permalink

I like the little war posts where you have the rams head piked on the wood, looks like clay :) very nice indeed

quote:Originally posted by inglis

im using 3dsmax.
gi is only being used in that last environment. its just a basic setup using max5s new gi system.
that scene is just for my showreel that im working on at the moment, thats the purpose of that page- to show what im currently working on for the reel.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:33 AM Permalink

i drew out a spline wrapping it around the pipes, then created a cylinder and put the pathdeform modifier on it. then just pick the path. then i just made a few variations.

still got to put a lot more detail into that scene( e.g. the walls, and i just started working on the doors, plus the water/steam but theyll be the last things). aim to have the model completed within the week then onto texturing.

thanks [:)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:35 AM Permalink

Very good work.. Oh, Bouncy, I didn't make the icons.. They're emoticons from some app. [:)]

quote:I love mixing drinks that were just not meant to be mixed together I just made a hotchocolate with icemagic choc mint and bubblegum flavour squirted in..the COOLEST part is that now all these round bubbly gunk pieces are floating on top so it looks like something deadly that only icky evil people serve like me

Hahaha.. that's pretty a nasty mix there [:)]..

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:37 AM Permalink

you can do global lighting in max4 by putting your scene/model inside a hemisphere with its normals flipped. and then tiered targetted spotlights in an arrary from the top to the bottom of the hemisphere.

- lachlan

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:45 AM Permalink

Was that scene designed by yourself or off some one else's concept?

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:45 AM Permalink

Yeah but It looked cool because when you blew the top surface all the little parts moved to reveal the real drink it was all green and bally on top [:D] I've always been disgusting [;)]

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Very good work.. Oh, Bouncy, I didn't make the icons.. They're emoticons from some app. [:)]

quote:I love mixing drinks that were just not meant to be mixed together I just made a hotchocolate with icemagic choc mint and bubblegum flavour squirted in..the COOLEST part is that now all these round bubbly gunk pieces are floating on top so it looks like something deadly that only icky evil people serve like me

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:47 AM Permalink

Hey Souri how do I change the forum avatar I can't stand my eye :) It's just freaking me out a bit too much [:0]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:50 AM Permalink

You have to email me a new picture and I will chuck it up [:)]..

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:57 AM Permalink

Ah Feng Zhu.. excellant concept artist [:)].. and yeh, you definately have taken it much further [:)]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:04 AM Permalink

All artwork is inspired by someone else :) I only know this because I have to sit through gruesome art theory lectures that go in my ear and travel down to lungs so i can blow air at people. lol :).. I don't understand me either don't worry [;)]

this concept is my insipration:

[img]http://effectism.com/sample/environment_01.jpg[/img]

ive taken it down a different road though..turning it into a hydrodam overflow and all :)

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:06 AM Permalink

I sent you my new forum avatar! DON'T BE SCARED :)

Ah Feng Zhu.. excellant concept artist [:)].. and yeh, you definately have taken it much further [:)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:10 AM Permalink

Bouncy. your avatar has been updated [:)].. you may need to refresh or empty your web browser's cache before you see it..

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:11 AM Permalink

there's an avatar part in your forum profile. cant you just choose it there? (i just figured you had to get to so many posts before you could choose one because it says none in there)

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:11 AM Permalink

AHHHHH No more 3d to regret [8)] Thanks Souri!!

Bouncy. your avatar has been updated [:)].. you may need to refresh or empty your web browser's cache before you see it..

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:13 AM Permalink

nope you email the wonderful Souri to upload a forum avatar :) *bows to Souri master* [:)]

there's an avatar part in your forum profile. cant you just choose it there? (i just figured you had to get to so many posts before you could choose one because it says none in there)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Oh, I haven't made available a selection of avatars for the public to use.. the ones that people send me I keep for them only to use. [:)] And yeh, I agree with Bouncy with inspiration.. I love seeing people taking ideas further too, like what Inglis has done..

Is that your real eye, Kirsten ? [:)]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:21 AM Permalink

with lots of mascara and eyeliner on yes ..why? lol I figured the mascara might scare people so i blur all photos of me, maybe it's obsessive compulsive hahahahah meh and i'm frightfully pale so yeh. I hardly ever wear makeup though but I love putting on seeing what i can do with it lol[8]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:23 AM Permalink

It's amazing what you can do with make up it's just like painting you can do anything and create any look if you know how to blend your colours right

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:29 AM Permalink

If I begin texturing females faces, you can help me if I do any of that 'make up' stuff wrong, ok.. [;)]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:46 AM Permalink

lol sure thing! [:X][:D] i thought the profile pic was meant to be 100x100 *doh* ah well guess i'll have to leave it jpgy my online journal only allows 100x [:I]
can i make a fool of myself here? well I thought BG2 was awesome and I fell for the evil guy (as per) I got so into that storyline so much so that all i could think about was the irenicus character and how i was dirty on black isle for not letting a seedy forbidden love fest go on for at least one of scenes..oh yeah did i mention i woke up shouting his name........DOES NOT GET ANY MORE SAD THEN THAT BABY!! :) there I said it. [:X]

If I begin texturing females faces, you can help me if I do any of that 'make up' stuff wrong, ok.. [;)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:53 AM Permalink

BG2? Sorry, what's that ?!!!!! [:D] [:D]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:56 AM Permalink

lol oh shoosh you [;)]
Once i'm in a storyline you can't get me out.

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:59 AM Permalink

Don't ask about the dream...*shame!*

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:59 AM Permalink

No, I'm serious! What's BG2???!!! [:)]

Posted by souri on
Forum

Hey, just saw your website.. http://effectism.com/sample/ awesome stuff! What 3d program do you use, and what plugin (if any) did you use for the global illumination? What's that walkway scene thing you're building at the bottom of the page going to be for?

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:19 AM Permalink

im using 3dsmax.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:24 AM Permalink

ahh ok.. it lights up the scene pretty nice.. the detail and style in that scene is incredible - how did you get rope to wrap around objects like that? [:)]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:29 AM Permalink

I wish they had global illumination in max4! I can't fake gi :) My max5 doesn't work I got to use it for ten days but after that I couldn't even dream of dishing out that sort of money for something that's gonna be updated again :(

[}:)][:X] Moo kiss *grin* Souri you're a legend making these icons [:D] I love mixing drinks that were just not meant to be mixed together I just made a hotchocolate with icemagic choc mint and bubblegum flavour squirted in..the COOLEST part is that now all these round bubbly gunk pieces are floating on top so it looks like something deadly that only icky evil people serve[:D] like me [8)]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:32 AM Permalink

I like the little war posts where you have the rams head piked on the wood, looks like clay :) very nice indeed

im using 3dsmax.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:33 AM Permalink

i drew out a spline wrapping it around the pipes, then created a cylinder and put the pathdeform modifier on it. then just pick the path. then i just made a few variations.

still got to put a lot more detail into that scene( e.g. the walls, and i just started working on the doors, plus the water/steam but theyll be the last things). aim to have the model completed within the week then onto texturing.

thanks [:)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:35 AM Permalink

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:37 AM Permalink

you can do global lighting in max4 by putting your scene/model inside a hemisphere with its normals flipped. and then tiered targetted spotlights in an arrary from the top to the bottom of the hemisphere.

- lachlan

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:45 AM Permalink

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:45 AM Permalink

Yeah but It looked cool because when you blew the top surface all the little parts moved to reveal the real drink it was all green and bally on top [:D] I've always been disgusting [;)]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:47 AM Permalink

Hey Souri how do I change the forum avatar I can't stand my eye :) It's just freaking me out a bit too much [:0]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:50 AM Permalink

You have to email me a new picture and I will chuck it up [:)]..

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:57 AM Permalink

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:04 AM Permalink

All artwork is inspired by someone else :) I only know this because I have to sit through gruesome art theory lectures that go in my ear and travel down to lungs so i can blow air at people. lol :).. I don't understand me either don't worry [;)]

this concept is my insipration:

[img]http://effectism.com/sample/environment_01.jpg[/img]

ive taken it down a different road though..turning it into a hydrodam overflow and all :)

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:06 AM Permalink

I sent you my new forum avatar! DON'T BE SCARED :)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:10 AM Permalink

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:11 AM Permalink

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:11 AM Permalink

AHHHHH No more 3d to regret [8)] Thanks Souri!!

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:13 AM Permalink

nope you email the wonderful Souri to upload a forum avatar :) *bows to Souri master* [:)]

Oh, I haven't made available a selection of avatars for the public to use.. the ones that people send me I keep for them only to use. [:)] And yeh, I agree with Bouncy with inspiration.. I love seeing people taking ideas further too, like what Inglis has done..

Is that your real eye, Kirsten ? [:)]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:21 AM Permalink

with lots of mascara and eyeliner on yes ..why? lol I figured the mascara might scare people so i blur all photos of me, maybe it's obsessive compulsive hahahahah meh and i'm frightfully pale so yeh. I hardly ever wear makeup though but I love putting on seeing what i can do with it lol[8]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:23 AM Permalink

It's amazing what you can do with make up it's just like painting you can do anything and create any look if you know how to blend your colours right

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:29 AM Permalink

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:46 AM Permalink

lol sure thing! [:X][:D] i thought the profile pic was meant to be 100x100 *doh* ah well guess i'll have to leave it jpgy my online journal only allows 100x [:I]
can i make a fool of myself here? well I thought BG2 was awesome and I fell for the evil guy (as per) I got so into that storyline so much so that all i could think about was the irenicus character and how i was dirty on black isle for not letting a seedy forbidden love fest go on for at least one of scenes..oh yeah did i mention i woke up shouting his name........DOES NOT GET ANY MORE SAD THEN THAT BABY!! :) there I said it. [:X]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:53 AM Permalink

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:56 AM Permalink

lol oh shoosh you [;)]
Once i'm in a storyline you can't get me out.

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:59 AM Permalink

Don't ask about the dream...*shame!*

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 9:59 AM Permalink

No, I'm serious! What's BG2???!!! [:)]