Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #7 - Bunny

• Pardon my scribbles, rough concept so far. The head at the top right is the vandalised/damaged version. Still deciding which form I like better.

Submitted by Bunny on

I'm going with a beetle-themed heavy, currently fleshing out the proportions and messing with a few details.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/460_beetleL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by animal on Wed, 13/04/05 - 8:59 AM Permalink

cool idea. Is it going to be an armoured beetle, or beetle themed armour though? Either way I'm looking forward to how this idea turns out.

Submitted by Bunny on Thu, 14/04/05 - 6:42 AM Permalink

The original idea was beetle themed armour, but the thought had crossed my mind to go with the armoured beetle thing. I might do a cyborg-ey bug skin if time permits.

Submitted by Bunny on Tue, 31/05/05 - 11:00 AM Permalink

Boo! I'm back from the desolate wasteland of page 3 and I've brought someone with me...

Forgive my lack of progress, RL can be a beech at times. This charming fellow, now more or less complete, weighs in at 3498 tris. Crits would be appreciated, especially if they come soon because I really need to get unwrapping. :D

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/460_beetle1L.jpg[/img]

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 31/05/05 - 5:44 PM Permalink

Wow, that?s pretty cool, and very original.
The only crit from me is to make sure it has enough edge loops around the shoulders and the top of the legs to deform properly. Can?t really tell without a wire, but it looks like it would animate fine.
So get unwrapping! [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 01/06/05 - 4:41 AM Permalink

looks great! what kind of texture are you planning on? (just because its beetle themed dosent mean it has to resemble one from nature)

Submitted by Bunny on Wed, 01/06/05 - 11:19 AM Permalink

ATM I'm messing around with a near-future military skin, but I'm not sure yet. I'm borrowing a few ideas from newer fighter jets, the zig-zag panel lines and such.

Now you mention it I'm not sure about the joint deformation, but there's room to cut some more polys and add another loop or two if necessary, so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the crits. :)

Submitted by Lechy on Thu, 02/06/05 - 7:17 AM Permalink

Do you ride a motorbike? the back of that beetle reminds me of a motorbike fuel tank. Pretty cool so far though.

Submitted by Bunny on Wed, 22/06/05 - 9:13 AM Permalink

As I was unwrapping I found TO MY HORROR! that the arms suck... gonna redo them and chances are I won't make the deadline. But when he's done I'll stick him up somewhere anyway.

Posted by Bunny on

I'm going with a beetle-themed heavy, currently fleshing out the proportions and messing with a few details.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/460_beetleL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by animal on Wed, 13/04/05 - 8:59 AM Permalink

cool idea. Is it going to be an armoured beetle, or beetle themed armour though? Either way I'm looking forward to how this idea turns out.

Submitted by Bunny on Thu, 14/04/05 - 6:42 AM Permalink

The original idea was beetle themed armour, but the thought had crossed my mind to go with the armoured beetle thing. I might do a cyborg-ey bug skin if time permits.

Submitted by Bunny on Tue, 31/05/05 - 11:00 AM Permalink

Boo! I'm back from the desolate wasteland of page 3 and I've brought someone with me...

Forgive my lack of progress, RL can be a beech at times. This charming fellow, now more or less complete, weighs in at 3498 tris. Crits would be appreciated, especially if they come soon because I really need to get unwrapping. :D

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/460_beetle1L.jpg[/img]

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 31/05/05 - 5:44 PM Permalink

Wow, that?s pretty cool, and very original.
The only crit from me is to make sure it has enough edge loops around the shoulders and the top of the legs to deform properly. Can?t really tell without a wire, but it looks like it would animate fine.
So get unwrapping! [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 01/06/05 - 4:41 AM Permalink

looks great! what kind of texture are you planning on? (just because its beetle themed dosent mean it has to resemble one from nature)

Submitted by Bunny on Wed, 01/06/05 - 11:19 AM Permalink

ATM I'm messing around with a near-future military skin, but I'm not sure yet. I'm borrowing a few ideas from newer fighter jets, the zig-zag panel lines and such.

Now you mention it I'm not sure about the joint deformation, but there's room to cut some more polys and add another loop or two if necessary, so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the crits. :)

Submitted by Lechy on Thu, 02/06/05 - 7:17 AM Permalink

Do you ride a motorbike? the back of that beetle reminds me of a motorbike fuel tank. Pretty cool so far though.

Submitted by Bunny on Wed, 22/06/05 - 9:13 AM Permalink

As I was unwrapping I found TO MY HORROR! that the arms suck... gonna redo them and chances are I won't make the deadline. But when he's done I'll stick him up somewhere anyway.