Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- 'Icespike'

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site, and i think it's a brilliant site. Ok here's my concept entry, plz dont grill it too much, it's only my second go at doing anything illustrative with a gap of years between first and second. But i felt it was worth the effort for this comp. It's a powerful demon snake sorc with charm and mind control specialization, your basic hallugenic, but not restricted to, magic user. I wanted to try and go for something sexy, simple and deceptive, just because it aint beefy doesn't mean it cant kick ass using big bad ass black magic.[:)]
[img]http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~icespike/pics/Illustration.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 12/09/03 - 7:02 PM Permalink

Looking good, welcome aboard.
favourite question time: Want to post some wires?

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 13/09/03 - 12:47 AM Permalink

Nice start. I like the concept
Maybe the breasts look a little low? Also for some reason, I think the purple skin on the model actually looks better. Gives her a less human look.
Keep it up
Malus: How do you render wireframes? I can only just take pics in user mode

Submitted by ironikart on Sat, 13/09/03 - 1:00 AM Permalink

Looking good! The concept looks kinda like a mermaid gone evil, but I think that tail will be more snake-like when you model it.

www.snotmonster.com has a great edgemap plugin for max. I saw something I think Doord posted a while back about cloning the mesh and converting it to a shape, pushing it out and making the edges renderable, but a screenshot of the wires would be enough.

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 13/09/03 - 1:48 AM Permalink

That is looking quite nice [:)] cant wait to see it finished !!!

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 13/09/03 - 3:21 AM Permalink

wow. Like makk said, i like that purple skin...

Model and concept look really cool.

Submitted by smeg (not verified) on Sat, 13/09/03 - 3:53 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments and i'll keep the purple skin in mind, and will definitely make two versions of skin colour and see which one i like best, i like the shading effect too [^], I've finished modelling and will be mapping over the next few days. I've managed to squeeze every drop of polygon goodness out of the limit so she's 3500 triangles.
Default lighting
[img]http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~icespike/pics/Completed%20Shaded.jpg[/img]
Shaded wires
[img]http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~icespike/pics/Completed%20wires.jpg[/img]

I might up the height of the breasts but it could look low because of the missing arms, i did use some.....ahem reference.[:D]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 14/09/03 - 1:58 AM Permalink

I'm no polygon-master but it looks like you've got a lot of polys in the stomach and waist area that could be put to better use. Why model the abdominal group when it could be textured instead? Maybe those polys could be put on the brassiere and jewellery adornments?

Submitted by nealb4me on Sun, 21/09/03 - 2:14 AM Permalink

I also used a bit of subdivision to get the basic shape happening on my model and it does waste a few polys. You just really need to collapse and weld wherever necessary

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site, and i think it's a brilliant site. Ok here's my concept entry, plz dont grill it too much, it's only my second go at doing anything illustrative with a gap of years between first and second. But i felt it was worth the effort for this comp. It's a powerful demon snake sorc with charm and mind control specialization, your basic hallugenic, but not restricted to, magic user. I wanted to try and go for something sexy, simple and deceptive, just because it aint beefy doesn't mean it cant kick ass using big bad ass black magic.[:)]
[img]http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~icespike/pics/Illustration.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 12/09/03 - 7:02 PM Permalink

Looking good, welcome aboard.
favourite question time: Want to post some wires?

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 13/09/03 - 12:47 AM Permalink

Nice start. I like the concept
Maybe the breasts look a little low? Also for some reason, I think the purple skin on the model actually looks better. Gives her a less human look.
Keep it up
Malus: How do you render wireframes? I can only just take pics in user mode

Submitted by ironikart on Sat, 13/09/03 - 1:00 AM Permalink

Looking good! The concept looks kinda like a mermaid gone evil, but I think that tail will be more snake-like when you model it.

www.snotmonster.com has a great edgemap plugin for max. I saw something I think Doord posted a while back about cloning the mesh and converting it to a shape, pushing it out and making the edges renderable, but a screenshot of the wires would be enough.

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 13/09/03 - 1:48 AM Permalink

That is looking quite nice [:)] cant wait to see it finished !!!

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 13/09/03 - 3:21 AM Permalink

wow. Like makk said, i like that purple skin...

Model and concept look really cool.

Submitted by smeg (not verified) on Sat, 13/09/03 - 3:53 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments and i'll keep the purple skin in mind, and will definitely make two versions of skin colour and see which one i like best, i like the shading effect too [^], I've finished modelling and will be mapping over the next few days. I've managed to squeeze every drop of polygon goodness out of the limit so she's 3500 triangles.
Default lighting
[img]http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~icespike/pics/Completed%20Shaded.jpg[/img]
Shaded wires
[img]http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~icespike/pics/Completed%20wires.jpg[/img]

I might up the height of the breasts but it could look low because of the missing arms, i did use some.....ahem reference.[:D]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 14/09/03 - 1:58 AM Permalink

I'm no polygon-master but it looks like you've got a lot of polys in the stomach and waist area that could be put to better use. Why model the abdominal group when it could be textured instead? Maybe those polys could be put on the brassiere and jewellery adornments?

Submitted by nealb4me on Sun, 21/09/03 - 2:14 AM Permalink

I also used a bit of subdivision to get the basic shape happening on my model and it does waste a few polys. You just really need to collapse and weld wherever necessary