Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #9 - skipgamer - Hephaestus

Submitted by skipgamer on

Hi, im gonna enter this cos i have a little bit of spare time on my hands at the moment... im going to be doing Hephaestus - God of Fire and Crafts... mainly cos of the fire part but being god of crafts means he will have a kickass looking mace and sword.

He will draw his fire power from glyphs on his left arm which allow him to summon the power of fire from his left hand. His right arm will be heavily armed to add weight to the right side of his body to help prevent his limping due to being malformed at birth. (but he would still be limping a little bit, which would look awesome in game :) He will be wearing a blacksmiths apron cos after all he is the god of crafts. Also the glyphs on his left arm will be glowing red along with his eyes.

Got some concept images cooking up but only got an a4 scanner and cant be bothered at the moment cutting them up to scan... so im probably going to just go straight to the modelling on the pc. I find that when im modelling i get ideas for the concept and change that as i go along anyway.

--

Ok, so I've learnt alot more about this crafty character (hehe) and he really is quite a good choice, very interesting with lots of inspiration to be drawn from.

I'll share a few of the most important facts which I will be drawing inspiration from

-He is the son of hera, but not zues.
-Zues found out about him and threw him from mount olympus to earth, he fell with quite a thud and became malformed. He then became a master craftsman and was allowed back into mount olympus.(he doesnt like zues very much)
-He was set to get married to aphrodite, the hot god, or god of love if u will, but she didnt want to cos he was so ugly, and married his brother instead. (another thing that just eats away at this guy's confidence)
-He got really annoyed and then tried to rape athena, but missed and instead impregnated gaia by ejaculating on the world(yeh, its a bit weird, but adds to the idea that this is one sick and twisted guy)
-He has built all the weapons and armor of the other gods. Including things like zues's thunderbolts, someones invisible hat, poseidon's trident, etc...
-He made himself a really "awesome" looking shield (ill have to put that in somewhere)
-In some myths he killed zues with a hammer (this is a bad mofo that u dont wanna get angry)

So after all that I've got a few more things to work with in my concepts. For example, he's a lot more twisted and messed up than i originally though, I'm now thinking a kind of e-blanka + gollum + hunchback of notre dame type build, instead of the more typical "body builder" or "spartan" build.

The left side of his body is going to be charred and black, with cracks of fire that you can see rather than glyphs, this is because as he was heading to earth after being thrown by zues, the atmosphere burnt him up, thats also where he got his skill with fire from. Therefore he's going to have some weird armor that i'll explain in the concept images.

I'm going to make him with a beard because that is how ive seen him be depicted in the images ive researched. He will also be bald with a pony tail, I think this will add to his awkward look.

All in all I think I've stumbled upon a pretty awesome concept here. It's amazing what ideas you can come up with with just a bit of research :) at first I thought this was a very limiting challenge, but after a bit of reading there are Alot! of interesting different stories from which you can draw inspiration.

Thats all for now :) hopefully get some concepts ive been working on in the next few days.skipgamer2007-07-12 23:21:15

Submitted by Killa Dee on Thu, 12/07/07 - 1:09 PM Permalink

Go Skips! the god of fire great choice.

Submitted by skipgamer on Fri, 13/07/07 - 11:11 AM Permalink

Heres a quick image of the kind of look and feel ill be going with the head of the character, cartoony i know but i think it conveys the kind of emotion i want nicely.

Submitted by skipgamer on Fri, 13/07/07 - 5:42 PM Permalink

Um, after a few hours work heres the start of my body geometry... low and high poly respectively, the low is about 5k atm, so it should do once i make the hands, should be able to leave myself with 1.5k for the head... we'll see how it goes. The high is just for fun, i didnt spend much time on it at all, he wont end up having those weird muscles :P
All so far done in z-brush, Ill work on the low poly in 3ds now, adding armour and details keeping an eye on the tri-flow (this will take me a while) Then I'll export it back to Z-brush for the final displacement map :)

Well thats the plan ;P

Posted by skipgamer on

Hi, im gonna enter this cos i have a little bit of spare time on my hands at the moment... im going to be doing Hephaestus - God of Fire and Crafts... mainly cos of the fire part but being god of crafts means he will have a kickass looking mace and sword.

He will draw his fire power from glyphs on his left arm which allow him to summon the power of fire from his left hand. His right arm will be heavily armed to add weight to the right side of his body to help prevent his limping due to being malformed at birth. (but he would still be limping a little bit, which would look awesome in game :) He will be wearing a blacksmiths apron cos after all he is the god of crafts. Also the glyphs on his left arm will be glowing red along with his eyes.

Got some concept images cooking up but only got an a4 scanner and cant be bothered at the moment cutting them up to scan... so im probably going to just go straight to the modelling on the pc. I find that when im modelling i get ideas for the concept and change that as i go along anyway.

--

Ok, so I've learnt alot more about this crafty character (hehe) and he really is quite a good choice, very interesting with lots of inspiration to be drawn from.

I'll share a few of the most important facts which I will be drawing inspiration from

-He is the son of hera, but not zues.
-Zues found out about him and threw him from mount olympus to earth, he fell with quite a thud and became malformed. He then became a master craftsman and was allowed back into mount olympus.(he doesnt like zues very much)
-He was set to get married to aphrodite, the hot god, or god of love if u will, but she didnt want to cos he was so ugly, and married his brother instead. (another thing that just eats away at this guy's confidence)
-He got really annoyed and then tried to rape athena, but missed and instead impregnated gaia by ejaculating on the world(yeh, its a bit weird, but adds to the idea that this is one sick and twisted guy)
-He has built all the weapons and armor of the other gods. Including things like zues's thunderbolts, someones invisible hat, poseidon's trident, etc...
-He made himself a really "awesome" looking shield (ill have to put that in somewhere)
-In some myths he killed zues with a hammer (this is a bad mofo that u dont wanna get angry)

So after all that I've got a few more things to work with in my concepts. For example, he's a lot more twisted and messed up than i originally though, I'm now thinking a kind of e-blanka + gollum + hunchback of notre dame type build, instead of the more typical "body builder" or "spartan" build.

The left side of his body is going to be charred and black, with cracks of fire that you can see rather than glyphs, this is because as he was heading to earth after being thrown by zues, the atmosphere burnt him up, thats also where he got his skill with fire from. Therefore he's going to have some weird armor that i'll explain in the concept images.

I'm going to make him with a beard because that is how ive seen him be depicted in the images ive researched. He will also be bald with a pony tail, I think this will add to his awkward look.

All in all I think I've stumbled upon a pretty awesome concept here. It's amazing what ideas you can come up with with just a bit of research :) at first I thought this was a very limiting challenge, but after a bit of reading there are Alot! of interesting different stories from which you can draw inspiration.

Thats all for now :) hopefully get some concepts ive been working on in the next few days.skipgamer2007-07-12 23:21:15

Submitted by Killa Dee on Thu, 12/07/07 - 1:09 PM Permalink

Go Skips! the god of fire great choice.

Submitted by skipgamer on Fri, 13/07/07 - 11:11 AM Permalink

Heres a quick image of the kind of look and feel ill be going with the head of the character, cartoony i know but i think it conveys the kind of emotion i want nicely.

Submitted by skipgamer on Fri, 13/07/07 - 5:42 PM Permalink

Um, after a few hours work heres the start of my body geometry... low and high poly respectively, the low is about 5k atm, so it should do once i make the hands, should be able to leave myself with 1.5k for the head... we'll see how it goes. The high is just for fun, i didnt spend much time on it at all, he wont end up having those weird muscles :P
All so far done in z-brush, Ill work on the low poly in 3ds now, adding armour and details keeping an eye on the tri-flow (this will take me a while) Then I'll export it back to Z-brush for the final displacement map :)

Well thats the plan ;P