Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #9 - Massius

Submitted by Massius on

hello all, my first foray into the sumea forums, ive decided its about time i got off my a$$ and had a dip,

for this comp ive decided to do Achilles, for those of you that dont know your mythology he was the greatest hero at the battle of Troy, heres some info ripped straight from Wikipedia

"Achilles is the only mortal to experience consuming rage (menis). His anger is at some times wavering, at other times absolute. The humanization of Achilles by the events of the war is an important theme of the narrative."

the narrative talked about is Homers Iliad

so what im going for is an Angry, almost beserk warrior

not to sure how im going to do the body but so far i got some pretty solid ideas for his helm (which will be a defining feature) and his sword

heres the design ive come up with for the helm

Submitted by Killa Dee on Thu, 12/07/07 - 1:08 PM Permalink

Welcome, great start cant wait to see some more.

Submitted by panthr on Fri, 13/07/07 - 2:37 AM Permalink

yay about time mass :P ehehhe

maybe try and make the plume part a little more outrageous/cool/curvier

P

Submitted by Massius on Tue, 17/07/07 - 11:57 AM Permalink

just spammed this up quickly after work, sorta the direction i rekon ill take him,

edit: when i get the chance ill do some proper concepts, will focus a bit more love and attention on his shoulder guard and chest armor, as they will be defining features for the whole outfit,

atm i know its just looking like a random hoplite, but thats sort of the way i want to take it, even tho his armor will be individual and elaborate, i want him to keep that definitivly "Greek" look, hence the modified Corinthian Helm, a different touch but still with that firm Hellenic feel to itMassius2007-07-17 04:52:43

Submitted by caseyjones on Wed, 18/07/07 - 1:59 AM Permalink

Good start dude as I already told you yesterday.
I'm looking forward to seeing what can of designs you have for the the armour.

-caseyjones

Submitted by Massius on Wed, 18/07/07 - 7:22 PM Permalink

thought id spam a quick update, this one is still a work in progress, but its got a bit more shape to it now :P

was thinking of making the shoulder guard a sea serpent/monster as a sorta tribute to Thetis, Achille's mother (she was a sea nymph and once called a mighty sea moster to defend Zeus) but i scrapped that and went with the lion head, it being a more Heroic symbol of strength and courage, somthing that Achilles had plenty of

its still got a bit to go as i said but its definatly getting some more form

Submitted by caseyjones on Thu, 19/07/07 - 1:57 AM Permalink

Nice update dude, its really coming together nicely.

-caseyjones

Submitted by panthr on Thu, 19/07/07 - 2:30 AM Permalink

even better! I think you should go sword than a spear so its more creative than doing a cylinder lmao. Youve gone with the skirt i see hehe...im trying to avoid that for mine but i will probably cave ><

keep the updates coming!

P

Submitted by Massius on Thu, 19/07/07 - 2:42 AM Permalink

dont u worry, im thinkin of doin some teched out crazy hero like stuff with the spear, he will hace a sword as well, but its sheathed

main reason behind the spear is because thats how Achilles killed Hector, with a spear,

yeah i eventually weent with the skirt style, was thinking of doing scaled plates but that ended up looking to european/medieval, im hoping to tweak the skirt design a bit tho, so ill keep you all updated :DMassius2007-07-18 16:43:01

Submitted by Massius on Thu, 19/07/07 - 6:28 AM Permalink

another quick update, fixed up the shinguards a bit and did some half proper feet, added a bit of color into it as well, still far from done but definatly on its way :D

Submitted by Jason on Tue, 24/07/07 - 8:31 AM Permalink

This is coming along nice, I like the detail on the helmet and shield especially, my only crit would be the spear looks a little plain? Maybe adding some details or altering the shape might help? Apart from that looking good, can't wait to see the rest :)

Submitted by Massius on Tue, 24/07/07 - 8:56 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=Jason] This is coming along nice, I like the detail on the helmet and shield especially, my only crit would be the spear looks a little plain? Maybe adding some details or altering the shape might help? Apart from that looking good, can't wait to see the rest :)[/QUOTE]

thanks dude, spear is sorta placeholder atm, still tossing up weather to have him with his spear of with his sword, ive got a solid desing for a sword, but nothing is sticking yet for the spear

have also been playing around a bit with some silouettes giving him a different shape, ill post those up later once ive done a bit more on em

Edit: was reading up on Homers the Odyssey, counterpart to the Iliad for a bit of greek inspiration and found a curios little passage that has given me some new ideas for the Achilles concept

summed up

Odysseus wanted to talk with Tiresias, so he and his men journeyed to the River Acheron in Hades, where they performed sacrifices which allowed them to speak to the dead. Odysseus sacrificed a ram and the dead spirits were attracted to the blood. Odysseus held them at bay and demanded to speak with Tiresias. Odysseus also meets Achilles, who tells Odysseus that he would rather be a slave on earth than the king of the dead

i quite like this little line and will be making some new concepts to fit it accordinglyMassius2007-07-23 23:56:34

Submitted by Massius on Thu, 26/07/07 - 6:02 AM Permalink

did this at lunch today,

im still not settled on a color scheme for him yet but i got the general shape down pretty good

Massius2007-07-25 23:57:25

Submitted by sebp on Tue, 31/07/07 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Looks really good I like the clothing and armour

Posted by Massius on

hello all, my first foray into the sumea forums, ive decided its about time i got off my a$$ and had a dip,

for this comp ive decided to do Achilles, for those of you that dont know your mythology he was the greatest hero at the battle of Troy, heres some info ripped straight from Wikipedia

"Achilles is the only mortal to experience consuming rage (menis). His anger is at some times wavering, at other times absolute. The humanization of Achilles by the events of the war is an important theme of the narrative."

the narrative talked about is Homers Iliad

so what im going for is an Angry, almost beserk warrior

not to sure how im going to do the body but so far i got some pretty solid ideas for his helm (which will be a defining feature) and his sword

heres the design ive come up with for the helm

Submitted by Killa Dee on Thu, 12/07/07 - 1:08 PM Permalink

Welcome, great start cant wait to see some more.

Submitted by panthr on Fri, 13/07/07 - 2:37 AM Permalink

yay about time mass :P ehehhe

maybe try and make the plume part a little more outrageous/cool/curvier

P

Submitted by Massius on Tue, 17/07/07 - 11:57 AM Permalink

just spammed this up quickly after work, sorta the direction i rekon ill take him,

edit: when i get the chance ill do some proper concepts, will focus a bit more love and attention on his shoulder guard and chest armor, as they will be defining features for the whole outfit,

atm i know its just looking like a random hoplite, but thats sort of the way i want to take it, even tho his armor will be individual and elaborate, i want him to keep that definitivly "Greek" look, hence the modified Corinthian Helm, a different touch but still with that firm Hellenic feel to itMassius2007-07-17 04:52:43

Submitted by caseyjones on Wed, 18/07/07 - 1:59 AM Permalink

Good start dude as I already told you yesterday.
I'm looking forward to seeing what can of designs you have for the the armour.

-caseyjones

Submitted by Massius on Wed, 18/07/07 - 7:22 PM Permalink

thought id spam a quick update, this one is still a work in progress, but its got a bit more shape to it now :P

was thinking of making the shoulder guard a sea serpent/monster as a sorta tribute to Thetis, Achille's mother (she was a sea nymph and once called a mighty sea moster to defend Zeus) but i scrapped that and went with the lion head, it being a more Heroic symbol of strength and courage, somthing that Achilles had plenty of

its still got a bit to go as i said but its definatly getting some more form

Submitted by caseyjones on Thu, 19/07/07 - 1:57 AM Permalink

Nice update dude, its really coming together nicely.

-caseyjones

Submitted by panthr on Thu, 19/07/07 - 2:30 AM Permalink

even better! I think you should go sword than a spear so its more creative than doing a cylinder lmao. Youve gone with the skirt i see hehe...im trying to avoid that for mine but i will probably cave ><

keep the updates coming!

P

Submitted by Massius on Thu, 19/07/07 - 2:42 AM Permalink

dont u worry, im thinkin of doin some teched out crazy hero like stuff with the spear, he will hace a sword as well, but its sheathed

main reason behind the spear is because thats how Achilles killed Hector, with a spear,

yeah i eventually weent with the skirt style, was thinking of doing scaled plates but that ended up looking to european/medieval, im hoping to tweak the skirt design a bit tho, so ill keep you all updated :DMassius2007-07-18 16:43:01

Submitted by Massius on Thu, 19/07/07 - 6:28 AM Permalink

another quick update, fixed up the shinguards a bit and did some half proper feet, added a bit of color into it as well, still far from done but definatly on its way :D

Submitted by Jason on Tue, 24/07/07 - 8:31 AM Permalink

This is coming along nice, I like the detail on the helmet and shield especially, my only crit would be the spear looks a little plain? Maybe adding some details or altering the shape might help? Apart from that looking good, can't wait to see the rest :)

Submitted by Massius on Tue, 24/07/07 - 8:56 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=Jason] This is coming along nice, I like the detail on the helmet and shield especially, my only crit would be the spear looks a little plain? Maybe adding some details or altering the shape might help? Apart from that looking good, can't wait to see the rest :)[/QUOTE]

thanks dude, spear is sorta placeholder atm, still tossing up weather to have him with his spear of with his sword, ive got a solid desing for a sword, but nothing is sticking yet for the spear

have also been playing around a bit with some silouettes giving him a different shape, ill post those up later once ive done a bit more on em

Edit: was reading up on Homers the Odyssey, counterpart to the Iliad for a bit of greek inspiration and found a curios little passage that has given me some new ideas for the Achilles concept

summed up

Odysseus wanted to talk with Tiresias, so he and his men journeyed to the River Acheron in Hades, where they performed sacrifices which allowed them to speak to the dead. Odysseus sacrificed a ram and the dead spirits were attracted to the blood. Odysseus held them at bay and demanded to speak with Tiresias. Odysseus also meets Achilles, who tells Odysseus that he would rather be a slave on earth than the king of the dead

i quite like this little line and will be making some new concepts to fit it accordinglyMassius2007-07-23 23:56:34

Submitted by Massius on Thu, 26/07/07 - 6:02 AM Permalink

did this at lunch today,

im still not settled on a color scheme for him yet but i got the general shape down pretty good

Massius2007-07-25 23:57:25

Submitted by sebp on Tue, 31/07/07 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Looks really good I like the clothing and armour