Skip to main content

Want to help playtest my TF2 level?

Submitted by Kris on
Forum

Hi folks!

A while ago I made a post with a similar request, that all went arse up as I ended up around Europe for a couple of months before I could get my work to a quality I was happy with. So, without further delay...!

Here are some Work in Progress shots of my level, cp_great_heights.

CP_Great_Heights is a one round, CP map. Setup in Gravel Pit fashion with 2 primary CP's to capture before the last. As the name implies, it's an uphill battle for Blu from the very beginning, but to alleviate that uphill march, there are some bonuses awarded to them for capturing A and B!

Due to most of my TF2 "life" being spent in Canada, I don't have many friends on my steam account who're from Australia - so I'm looking for people who may be interested in playtesting this weekend (preferably Saturday night). I'm trying to garner as much interest as possible, to establish whether it's worth renting a server for a month. So...

Are you interested in playing? If so, please post here or preferably: Add me to Steam!

Even though it's WIP, I hope it interests you!

Great Heights 001

Great Heights 002

Submitted by StephenWade on Sun, 14/09/08 - 2:42 PM Permalink

I would .... if I played TF2 ....

I think i remember playing the original quake team fortress back in the late 90's/early naughties when i had more spare time :D

level does look interesting though, did/do you have a specific method for your design, was it shaped/characterised by the nature of play of TF2 or done ad hoc ? Sadly i'm a bit of an academic, so i always want to know what ppl think and how they go about doing things ...

Submitted by Kris on Tue, 16/09/08 - 3:49 PM Permalink

Always designing for the game at hand, but wanted to add some element to differentiate it from the rest of the levels, so in came the vertical aspect. It's primarily ad-hoc, paper designs can only help to a certain extent :)

Playtest on Saturday was excellent, around 20 people showed up. There will be continual playtests every Wednesday and Saturday evenings so if anyone is interested, there's still time to jump in.

Submitted by Bittman on Mon, 29/09/08 - 4:59 PM Permalink

Hey Kris, looks very pretty. I'd love to give it a try (add me in case I forget to add you - "bittman")

I'm also trying to use the Hammer editor to get up a map or two for my portfolio, I'd love to see the source files out of interest while I'm still learning.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 30/09/08 - 5:29 PM Permalink

Cheers Bittman,

We have a playtest tonight, 9pm EST - come check out the new Payload version of the map. I restarted the level from scratch - we tested it last Wednesday for around 3 hours (14 people) and it went really well.

More info here: http://triggerthis.net/preplayinfo.html

Here's a snippet from the latest additions to the level...

CRANKING THE VALVE

This new gameplay element to Great Heights, gives Blu not only a second path to cross over the Icy Bridge, but also gives them a second means of pushing the Cart. Once the Cart starts its path up the Icy Bridge, Blu will be able to crank the valve positioned underneath the bridge. This valve acts in the same way standing around the Cart would do: the more players present, the faster it cranks (thus the faster the Cart moves!)

Red team will need to defend both the Icy Bridge and its underpass, currently the visual cue is minimal but effective: there is a large red cog at the start of the Icy Bridge, if you see this moving, Blu players are underneath the bridge cranking the valve.

Posted by Kris on
Forum

Hi folks!

A while ago I made a post with a similar request, that all went arse up as I ended up around Europe for a couple of months before I could get my work to a quality I was happy with. So, without further delay...!

Here are some Work in Progress shots of my level, cp_great_heights.

CP_Great_Heights is a one round, CP map. Setup in Gravel Pit fashion with 2 primary CP's to capture before the last. As the name implies, it's an uphill battle for Blu from the very beginning, but to alleviate that uphill march, there are some bonuses awarded to them for capturing A and B!

Due to most of my TF2 "life" being spent in Canada, I don't have many friends on my steam account who're from Australia - so I'm looking for people who may be interested in playtesting this weekend (preferably Saturday night). I'm trying to garner as much interest as possible, to establish whether it's worth renting a server for a month. So...

Are you interested in playing? If so, please post here or preferably: Add me to Steam!

Even though it's WIP, I hope it interests you!

Great Heights 001

Great Heights 002

Submitted by StephenWade on Sun, 14/09/08 - 2:42 PM Permalink

I would .... if I played TF2 ....

I think i remember playing the original quake team fortress back in the late 90's/early naughties when i had more spare time :D

level does look interesting though, did/do you have a specific method for your design, was it shaped/characterised by the nature of play of TF2 or done ad hoc ? Sadly i'm a bit of an academic, so i always want to know what ppl think and how they go about doing things ...

Submitted by Kris on Tue, 16/09/08 - 3:49 PM Permalink

Always designing for the game at hand, but wanted to add some element to differentiate it from the rest of the levels, so in came the vertical aspect. It's primarily ad-hoc, paper designs can only help to a certain extent :)

Playtest on Saturday was excellent, around 20 people showed up. There will be continual playtests every Wednesday and Saturday evenings so if anyone is interested, there's still time to jump in.

Submitted by Bittman on Mon, 29/09/08 - 4:59 PM Permalink

Hey Kris, looks very pretty. I'd love to give it a try (add me in case I forget to add you - "bittman")

I'm also trying to use the Hammer editor to get up a map or two for my portfolio, I'd love to see the source files out of interest while I'm still learning.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 30/09/08 - 5:29 PM Permalink

Cheers Bittman,

We have a playtest tonight, 9pm EST - come check out the new Payload version of the map. I restarted the level from scratch - we tested it last Wednesday for around 3 hours (14 people) and it went really well.

More info here: http://triggerthis.net/preplayinfo.html

Here's a snippet from the latest additions to the level...

CRANKING THE VALVE

This new gameplay element to Great Heights, gives Blu not only a second path to cross over the Icy Bridge, but also gives them a second means of pushing the Cart. Once the Cart starts its path up the Icy Bridge, Blu will be able to crank the valve positioned underneath the bridge. This valve acts in the same way standing around the Cart would do: the more players present, the faster it cranks (thus the faster the Cart moves!)

Red team will need to defend both the Icy Bridge and its underpass, currently the visual cue is minimal but effective: there is a large red cog at the start of the Icy Bridge, if you see this moving, Blu players are underneath the bridge cranking the valve.