Skip to main content

Sumea Pixel Class!!!

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Ok, Sumea Pixel Town has been going on for 7 months, and it's almost complete. I think it's time to begin the next pixel activity soon. I haven't prepared anything yet (so don't even start anything - I have to do some guides first), but I'm just letting ya all know that the next one is Sumea Pixel Class!!

Basically, it'll be a Sumea class room and you'll get to do a pixel art of yourself sitting on a chair behind a desk. How you draw yourself, your chair, table and whatever is on it is up to you! The more talented of you can submit animated gifs if you like.

Anyway, like I said, I have to draw some guides, but in the meantime, you can think of ideas of what you're going to do! [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 11/08/04 - 5:13 AM Permalink

ooooOOOOOH im likin this
question, will it be set out in orthographic view? because unless the desks are placed pretty far apart there will be a LOT of overlap. Atleast im guessing there will... we shall see >.> <.<

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 12/08/04 - 3:28 AM Permalink

Nice, [8D] - I like it [:D]

So I guess late people get the least desirable seats in class?! [:D]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 03/09/04 - 8:41 AM Permalink

Ok, here's how Pixel Class will go!

http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeapixel/SumeaClass.asp

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeapixel/sumeaclass/pclass_example.gif[/img]
This is just an the example of what your submission can look like. Try to place your pixel self in the same spot as the character above. You can change absolutely anything you want, but don't touch or draw over the green parts! Your pixel art HAS to have you in it, and some sort of desk or other object (it doesn't have to be a desk - be creative as you like. It could be you sitting on a toilet for example). Please submit your pixel art as gif files, and yes, you can use animation as well!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeapixel/sumeaclass/pclass_floor.gif[/img]
This is the floor tiling. Download this and use it as your floor. Don't edit this around the edges though because they kinda need to connect to your next classmate's floor.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeapixel/sumeaclass/pclass_desk.gif[/img]
This is for people who can't draw too well - use this as your reference. Download it, Delete the red parts and place the floor tiling in another layer below, colour it in / put in any details you like in Photoshop, and you should be right!

I'm still building the page, but as far as placements go, as soon as you finish your piece, then you can choose wherever you want to be placed! And again, be as crazy, zany, funny, creative as you like!

From now on, when you submit your piece, let me know where you want it to be placed by telling me "above left", "above right", "below left", "below right" in relation to someone elses's piece already on the page. Also give me a link to your website or Sumea profile page as well if you want your piece to link to something.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 08/09/04 - 8:02 AM Permalink

Bane: kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 08/09/04 - 3:33 PM Permalink

A photo would look odd (especially when mixed with the other contributions), unless it was taken from a certain angle.. take a look at the perspective of the example - it has to be from that angle.

Anyway, it's preferred that you pixel it in yourself. Use the example as the base to draw on if you're having trouble!

And come on people, let's get this started.. [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 09/09/04 - 2:45 AM Permalink

ok so our character/desk is not to leave the tiled area what so ever, no overlapping?

Submitted by souri on Thu, 09/09/04 - 10:21 AM Permalink

Yep, that's right.. so don't pixel on the grean bits!

Submitted by souri on Fri, 10/09/04 - 8:58 AM Permalink

That's the stuff. [:)]

Submitted by matias on Sat, 11/09/04 - 4:01 AM Permalink

hoho, I'm gonna have to think about what I'm gonna do for this!!! This sounds like fun!! [:D]

Submitted by souri on Sat, 11/09/04 - 3:11 PM Permalink

That is awesome [:)]

Yep, guides coming real soon - probably by Sunday, a week before the deadline!

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 16/09/04 - 7:10 PM Permalink

Argh, there goes my dark throne idea [:(]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 17/09/04 - 3:59 AM Permalink

I guess that's ok. Just remember that the more you draw on the green parts, the more you're covering over your classmates work [:)]. As you can tell from the shape, they all slot next to/above/below each other..

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 17/09/04 - 6:22 AM Permalink

yours and most of the rest of us malus :P

Submitted by Bane Star 00 on Sat, 18/09/04 - 10:02 PM Permalink

Oh sorry guys.. This is going to be a sorcerers desk with a pretty little succubus seated on the left... I'm not sure if I will be seated or crawling under the table.. LOL..

Ok.. I 'tiled' the image over and over.. I figure then that anything that goes into the 'lower green' will be cut off? or are the blue tiles your own background, which has our tables placed OVER it? in which case the lower green would be free for all, but all other tables 'might' cover it.. giving more depth...

as for mine.. I'll pull back the skull heads 2 pixels.. I dont want to cover someone elses brilliance

Submitted by Sinister on Thu, 23/09/04 - 10:02 AM Permalink

I hate to sound like a dummy but, how do I create actual pixel art in Photoshop? I've tried reducing my brush size to 1 pixel but I still get an anti-aliasing thing happening when I zoom in and use the brush tool.

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 23/09/04 - 10:57 PM Permalink

shift+b to switch the brush to pencil, or hold the icon down in the tab.

Submitted by rannyroy on Thu, 23/09/04 - 11:16 PM Permalink

Heres my homework. I dont think ill have space to animate a hop around but im going to try for a bit of head banging.
ahh cant you just hear those power chords..

hiiiight way to hell da da..da da da...

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/rannyroy/20049222390_rannyroy.gif"]rannyroy.gif[/url]
4.39 KB

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/rannyroy/20049222390_rannyroy.gi…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 24/09/04 - 1:25 AM Permalink

thats pretty cool rannyroy, go acca dacca!!

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 24/09/04 - 7:43 AM Permalink

Very cool, rannyroy! Love the SG!!

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 04/10/04 - 2:57 AM Permalink

That looks really cool [8D]

Souri, how is the page coming along? I think people will be more motivated to make something once we get an idea of how it will all look.
No rush or anything, I?m just curious. [:)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 05/10/04 - 3:47 PM Permalink

Sorry, I'll try and get the page up as soon as possible. Been holding off I guess since I was focussed on redoing the site in css layout (god knows how much work I've put on msyelf >.<).

Did I mention that my 19" monitor made a buzzing sound then gave a loud "poof", followed by some smoke on Friday? [:(] I went out and bought a new 19" Flatron LG for $340, and goddamn, it is so bright and clear. I'm not used to the screen being so bright that I find myself squinting a lot of the time. I can put the resolution up to 2048x1536 ..[:0]

That's a mighty fine and clever piece you did there, mcdrewski [:D]

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 05/10/04 - 5:30 PM Permalink

rannyroy that is fricken awesome! [:D]

angus is the man!

Submitted by souri on Thu, 07/10/04 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Just need to draw some pixel art walls/windows/tiles etc so it looks more like a room.

From now on, when you submit your piece, let me know where you want it to be placed by telling me "above left", "above right", "below left", "below right" in relation to someone elses's piece already on the page. Also give me a link to your website or Sumea profile page as well if you want your piece to link to something.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 15/10/04 - 7:16 AM Permalink

Here?s my desk. [8D] I?m just chillin? playing some old school console games:
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/200410147635_palantirs_…]

I don?t care much where I sit since I?m too busy playing games to notice people around me [;)]. But some cool tunes would be good to play to, so next to Angus would be great! [:D]

I suppose it should link to my profile (not that I've posted any more work since I joined [^]): http://www.sumea.com.au/sprofile.asp?member=277

Posted by souri on
Forum

Ok, Sumea Pixel Town has been going on for 7 months, and it's almost complete. I think it's time to begin the next pixel activity soon. I haven't prepared anything yet (so don't even start anything - I have to do some guides first), but I'm just letting ya all know that the next one is Sumea Pixel Class!!

Basically, it'll be a Sumea class room and you'll get to do a pixel art of yourself sitting on a chair behind a desk. How you draw yourself, your chair, table and whatever is on it is up to you! The more talented of you can submit animated gifs if you like.

Anyway, like I said, I have to draw some guides, but in the meantime, you can think of ideas of what you're going to do! [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 11/08/04 - 5:13 AM Permalink

ooooOOOOOH im likin this
question, will it be set out in orthographic view? because unless the desks are placed pretty far apart there will be a LOT of overlap. Atleast im guessing there will... we shall see >.> <.<

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 12/08/04 - 3:28 AM Permalink

Nice, [8D] - I like it [:D]

So I guess late people get the least desirable seats in class?! [:D]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 03/09/04 - 8:41 AM Permalink

Ok, here's how Pixel Class will go!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeapixel/sumeaclass/pclass_example.gif[/img]
This is just an the example of what your submission can look like. Try to place your pixel self in the same spot as the character above. You can change absolutely anything you want, but don't touch or draw over the green parts! Your pixel art HAS to have you in it, and some sort of desk or other object (it doesn't have to be a desk - be creative as you like. It could be you sitting on a toilet for example). Please submit your pixel art as gif files, and yes, you can use animation as well!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeapixel/sumeaclass/pclass_floor.gif[/img]
This is the floor tiling. Download this and use it as your floor. Don't edit this around the edges though because they kinda need to connect to your next classmate's floor.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeapixel/sumeaclass/pclass_desk.gif[/img]
This is for people who can't draw too well - use this as your reference. Download it, Delete the red parts and place the floor tiling in another layer below, colour it in / put in any details you like in Photoshop, and you should be right!

I'm still building the page, but as far as placements go, as soon as you finish your piece, then you can choose wherever you want to be placed! And again, be as crazy, zany, funny, creative as you like!

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 08/09/04 - 8:02 AM Permalink

Bane: kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 08/09/04 - 3:33 PM Permalink

A photo would look odd (especially when mixed with the other contributions), unless it was taken from a certain angle.. take a look at the perspective of the example - it has to be from that angle.

Anyway, it's preferred that you pixel it in yourself. Use the example as the base to draw on if you're having trouble!

And come on people, let's get this started.. [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 09/09/04 - 2:45 AM Permalink

ok so our character/desk is not to leave the tiled area what so ever, no overlapping?

Submitted by souri on Thu, 09/09/04 - 10:21 AM Permalink

Yep, that's right.. so don't pixel on the grean bits!

Submitted by souri on Fri, 10/09/04 - 8:58 AM Permalink

That's the stuff. [:)]

Submitted by matias on Sat, 11/09/04 - 4:01 AM Permalink

hoho, I'm gonna have to think about what I'm gonna do for this!!! This sounds like fun!! [:D]

Submitted by souri on Sat, 11/09/04 - 3:11 PM Permalink

That is awesome [:)]

Yep, guides coming real soon - probably by Sunday, a week before the deadline!

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 16/09/04 - 7:10 PM Permalink

Argh, there goes my dark throne idea [:(]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 17/09/04 - 3:59 AM Permalink

I guess that's ok. Just remember that the more you draw on the green parts, the more you're covering over your classmates work [:)]. As you can tell from the shape, they all slot next to/above/below each other..

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 17/09/04 - 6:22 AM Permalink

yours and most of the rest of us malus :P

Submitted by Bane Star 00 on Sat, 18/09/04 - 10:02 PM Permalink

Oh sorry guys.. This is going to be a sorcerers desk with a pretty little succubus seated on the left... I'm not sure if I will be seated or crawling under the table.. LOL..

Ok.. I 'tiled' the image over and over.. I figure then that anything that goes into the 'lower green' will be cut off? or are the blue tiles your own background, which has our tables placed OVER it? in which case the lower green would be free for all, but all other tables 'might' cover it.. giving more depth...

as for mine.. I'll pull back the skull heads 2 pixels.. I dont want to cover someone elses brilliance

Submitted by Sinister on Thu, 23/09/04 - 10:02 AM Permalink

I hate to sound like a dummy but, how do I create actual pixel art in Photoshop? I've tried reducing my brush size to 1 pixel but I still get an anti-aliasing thing happening when I zoom in and use the brush tool.

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 23/09/04 - 10:57 PM Permalink

shift+b to switch the brush to pencil, or hold the icon down in the tab.

Submitted by rannyroy on Thu, 23/09/04 - 11:16 PM Permalink

Heres my homework. I dont think ill have space to animate a hop around but im going to try for a bit of head banging.
ahh cant you just hear those power chords..

hiiiight way to hell da da..da da da...

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/rannyroy/20049222390_rannyroy.gif"]rannyroy.gif[/url]
4.39 KB

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/rannyroy/20049222390_rannyroy.gi…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 24/09/04 - 1:25 AM Permalink

thats pretty cool rannyroy, go acca dacca!!

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 24/09/04 - 7:43 AM Permalink

Very cool, rannyroy! Love the SG!!

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 04/10/04 - 2:57 AM Permalink

That looks really cool [8D]

Souri, how is the page coming along? I think people will be more motivated to make something once we get an idea of how it will all look.
No rush or anything, I?m just curious. [:)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 05/10/04 - 3:47 PM Permalink

Sorry, I'll try and get the page up as soon as possible. Been holding off I guess since I was focussed on redoing the site in css layout (god knows how much work I've put on msyelf >.<).

Did I mention that my 19" monitor made a buzzing sound then gave a loud "poof", followed by some smoke on Friday? [:(] I went out and bought a new 19" Flatron LG for $340, and goddamn, it is so bright and clear. I'm not used to the screen being so bright that I find myself squinting a lot of the time. I can put the resolution up to 2048x1536 ..[:0]

That's a mighty fine and clever piece you did there, mcdrewski [:D]

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 05/10/04 - 5:30 PM Permalink

rannyroy that is fricken awesome! [:D]

angus is the man!

Submitted by souri on Thu, 07/10/04 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Just need to draw some pixel art walls/windows/tiles etc so it looks more like a room.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 15/10/04 - 7:16 AM Permalink

Here?s my desk. [8D] I?m just chillin? playing some old school console games:
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/200410147635_palantirs_…]

I don?t care much where I sit since I?m too busy playing games to notice people around me [;)]. But some cool tunes would be good to play to, so next to Angus would be great! [:D]

I suppose it should link to my profile (not that I've posted any more work since I joined [^]): http://www.sumea.com.au/sprofile.asp?member=277