Skip to main content

more heads

Submitted by Farmer on

Hey all,

Decided to post my head from a polycount thread for feedback and crit:

[img]http://www.fizzygames.net/myface1.jpg[/img]

Just got a tablet so i took it for a spin, texture is x256 by me, the model is by shimmer from the polycount forums.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 11/01/05 - 10:53 PM Permalink

looks great, the hair seems to blur into the skin at one particular point on the forehead tho

Submitted by Farmer on Wed, 12/01/05 - 6:50 AM Permalink

Hey,

good spotting the hair MoonUnit and cheers for the feedback, ill fix it up now i guess, might finish the armor off and start another one soon.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 12/01/05 - 12:21 PM Permalink

Get back to work [:P]

Great job dude, love the contrast youve got going on here.
Finish up that armour!

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Thu, 13/01/05 - 12:32 AM Permalink

Hey that looks cool! Heaps difernt from your usual RPG style, Which is good to see you experimenting with different styles. [:D] Tablets are fun aren't they? ^^'

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 13/01/05 - 5:34 AM Permalink

Any Photo Ref in that texture 3D arty ? or all hand painted ?

Submitted by denz on Thu, 13/01/05 - 6:10 AM Permalink

cool. more heads :)

3darty that absolutely rocks my socks mate!

Submitted by 3DArty on Thu, 13/01/05 - 6:21 AM Permalink

Mostly hand done with a skin texture that i made up, eyes that ive
made up, and sample textures from my refrence files.

but no pic used for this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------

An amateur built the ark and professionals built the titanic.

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 13/01/05 - 10:24 PM Permalink

Damn. Those are some really nice textures.

Arty - That metal is really sweet :)

Submitted by 3DArty on Sat, 15/01/05 - 12:03 AM Permalink

Ok this is the next one. the skin on this one was a lot of fun for me as I have not done darker skin till now.
No refrence was used. all hand textured as well.

3DArty

Ken Byrnes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/3DArty/2005113205723_reff1.jpg[/…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 15/01/05 - 2:17 AM Permalink

Not bad 3D arty - The eyebrows look a bit like berts from sesame street, and It looks more like this guy is diseased or suffering from a nasty skin condition - is that what you intended ?

The previous texture had just the right amount of grit for a marine that had been through the wars, but i feel that this guy is a tad overdone.

Hope that helps [:)]

Submitted by 3DArty on Sat, 15/01/05 - 2:33 AM Permalink

thx. yes thats cool im not to sure what i was trying to do with this one but ugly was my main goal, I did not try for a photo real texture
for this one, A bit more practice with the darker skin me thinks.

3DArty

Ken Byrnes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted by IronhideNT on Sun, 16/01/05 - 1:22 PM Permalink

Hey guys, hope I don't seem to be hijacking this thread.

Like everyone else here I had a go at this skinning project, having never done this before, I was wondering if I could get some advice and critiques. Here's what I've pulled off so far. It's all hand done in Photoshop, but I can't seem to get away from the painty look.

I wanted a more photoreastic result like you guys, so yeah, quite bluntly, what's the secret? Any tutes I can look into?

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/IronhideNT/2005115101544_scarygi…"]scarygirlhead.jpg[/url]
85.33?KB

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/IronhideNT/2005115101544_scarygi…]

Submitted by 3DArty on Sun, 16/01/05 - 3:52 PM Permalink

Hi there IronhideNT[:)]

Ive made this up for you to try.

Here are some skin tones you can try and see what you can come up

with.

Photoreal art does take some work to get it looking good, But you will need to start with the base texture first. Have a look at photos of faces, find a face you like and brake it in to small squares,
and work with one squares at a time, so you get to know how that part looks and try and match it as best as you can. This is how I
got started and from there on it just takes time and the squares just get bigger and bigger.

But its mostley practices practices and more practices.

I hope this helps.

3DArty

Ken Byrnes

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/3DArty/2005115121942_faceref.jpg…]

Submitted by IronhideNT on Mon, 17/01/05 - 9:51 AM Permalink

Great! Thanks to both of you for posting them up. Great insight.

What do you do for such smooth blending between the tones? Brush, bluring, or a soft brush with burn like the tute palantir put up?

Submitted by Farmer on Mon, 17/01/05 - 3:37 PM Permalink

Nice work 3darty and ironhide :), sorry for a very delayed reply been busy with alot of stuff. Ironhide, although I havent realy done alot of realistic stuff, blur and lots of layers works good for me (assuming your using photoshop), gives you more freedom to modify the layer instead of turning it into a burn/dodge mess, but everyones different, try them all and use what works best for you.

Posted by Farmer on

Hey all,

Decided to post my head from a polycount thread for feedback and crit:

[img]http://www.fizzygames.net/myface1.jpg[/img]

Just got a tablet so i took it for a spin, texture is x256 by me, the model is by shimmer from the polycount forums.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 11/01/05 - 10:53 PM Permalink

looks great, the hair seems to blur into the skin at one particular point on the forehead tho

Submitted by Farmer on Wed, 12/01/05 - 6:50 AM Permalink

Hey,

good spotting the hair MoonUnit and cheers for the feedback, ill fix it up now i guess, might finish the armor off and start another one soon.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 12/01/05 - 12:21 PM Permalink

Get back to work [:P]

Great job dude, love the contrast youve got going on here.
Finish up that armour!

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Thu, 13/01/05 - 12:32 AM Permalink

Hey that looks cool! Heaps difernt from your usual RPG style, Which is good to see you experimenting with different styles. [:D] Tablets are fun aren't they? ^^'

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 13/01/05 - 5:34 AM Permalink

Any Photo Ref in that texture 3D arty ? or all hand painted ?

Submitted by denz on Thu, 13/01/05 - 6:10 AM Permalink

cool. more heads :)

3darty that absolutely rocks my socks mate!

Submitted by 3DArty on Thu, 13/01/05 - 6:21 AM Permalink

Mostly hand done with a skin texture that i made up, eyes that ive
made up, and sample textures from my refrence files.

but no pic used for this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 13/01/05 - 10:24 PM Permalink

Damn. Those are some really nice textures.

Arty - That metal is really sweet :)

Submitted by 3DArty on Sat, 15/01/05 - 12:03 AM Permalink

Ok this is the next one. the skin on this one was a lot of fun for me as I have not done darker skin till now.
No refrence was used. all hand textured as well.

3DArty

Ken Byrnes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/3DArty/2005113205723_reff1.jpg[/…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 15/01/05 - 2:17 AM Permalink

Not bad 3D arty - The eyebrows look a bit like berts from sesame street, and It looks more like this guy is diseased or suffering from a nasty skin condition - is that what you intended ?

The previous texture had just the right amount of grit for a marine that had been through the wars, but i feel that this guy is a tad overdone.

Hope that helps [:)]

Submitted by 3DArty on Sat, 15/01/05 - 2:33 AM Permalink

thx. yes thats cool im not to sure what i was trying to do with this one but ugly was my main goal, I did not try for a photo real texture
for this one, A bit more practice with the darker skin me thinks.

3DArty

Ken Byrnes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted by IronhideNT on Sun, 16/01/05 - 1:22 PM Permalink

Hey guys, hope I don't seem to be hijacking this thread.

Like everyone else here I had a go at this skinning project, having never done this before, I was wondering if I could get some advice and critiques. Here's what I've pulled off so far. It's all hand done in Photoshop, but I can't seem to get away from the painty look.

I wanted a more photoreastic result like you guys, so yeah, quite bluntly, what's the secret? Any tutes I can look into?

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/IronhideNT/2005115101544_scarygi…"]scarygirlhead.jpg[/url]
85.33?KB

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/IronhideNT/2005115101544_scarygi…]

Submitted by 3DArty on Sun, 16/01/05 - 3:52 PM Permalink

Hi there IronhideNT[:)]

Ive made this up for you to try.

Here are some skin tones you can try and see what you can come up

with.

Photoreal art does take some work to get it looking good, But you will need to start with the base texture first. Have a look at photos of faces, find a face you like and brake it in to small squares,
and work with one squares at a time, so you get to know how that part looks and try and match it as best as you can. This is how I
got started and from there on it just takes time and the squares just get bigger and bigger.

But its mostley practices practices and more practices.

I hope this helps.

3DArty

Ken Byrnes

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/3DArty/2005115121942_faceref.jpg…]

Submitted by IronhideNT on Mon, 17/01/05 - 9:51 AM Permalink

Great! Thanks to both of you for posting them up. Great insight.

What do you do for such smooth blending between the tones? Brush, bluring, or a soft brush with burn like the tute palantir put up?

Submitted by Farmer on Mon, 17/01/05 - 3:37 PM Permalink

Nice work 3darty and ironhide :), sorry for a very delayed reply been busy with alot of stuff. Ironhide, although I havent realy done alot of realistic stuff, blur and lots of layers works good for me (assuming your using photoshop), gives you more freedom to modify the layer instead of turning it into a burn/dodge mess, but everyones different, try them all and use what works best for you.