Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #5 -3D- HazarD - Challenger #9

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Its a wee bit late, but i said id enter so heres the concept for the first stage little guy.

I thought to go for an aquatic theme - something a wee bit different.

The hero type guy is going to be a merman of sorts, big fat trident - im kinda thinking of him as i type.

Im going the 2 blue pills route for the sidekick - Aq.

Basically he starts off as this little guy who just swims around butting things with the bone like head covering he has, to protect his master.

Also the pills will be a special formula which, when popped open, create a murky cloud of water, hiding the metamorphosis from potential enemies. Aq will enter the cloud - giving the enemies a guise of fleeing, only to re-emerge seconds later more powerful than before!!! [:0]

Ill post the 2nd and third stages along with the hero as quickly as i can.

comments / crits welcome :) ( mind the quick colouring [;)] )

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_aqconceptmodsheet.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Wed, 10/03/04 - 10:17 AM Permalink

looks cool, but it looks awfully a lot like the entry pantmonger did for the steed and rider comp.

Great minds think alike I guess.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 10/03/04 - 11:20 AM Permalink

oh christ really ?? - ill go have a look make sure its not toooo similar.

if its a bit close ill change it - the evolutions should make him a bit different anyways.

Sorry pantmonger! should have done more research before i delved in. [:(]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 10/03/04 - 6:39 PM Permalink

Just because they are both aquatic doesn't mean they are similar, this one is a kinda cute little fish, whiles pants was a massive scary shark with armour on it head and big ass teeth, they aren't similare at all really.

I think it is a great idea i was kinda hoping you'd enter. Luv to see the models and i think you should get it finished in time if you worked on it like you did that cyber punk you worked on.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 10/03/04 - 7:57 PM Permalink

looks good - looks to be something that'd fit happily in the poke'mon universe, with the same kind of cutesy simple but elegant designs.

I'd actually love to see this modelled and textured up in the 3d poke'mon game style. Solid colours, black lines, etc. It's always a very "basic" but visually appealing and striking style.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 1:09 AM Permalink

Thanks Bullet21 & JI - just working on the texture for the runner at the mo, will finish up the line drawing / model sheet for the second evolution later on tonight.

Also will post a WIP for the texture im doing for the Runner.

Stay tuned.....

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 12:53 PM Permalink

Heres the concept for the second evolution.

ill do a scale diagram once all three concepts are done.

hes sprouted a few additions and got a bit bigger / more streamlined but at the same time, hes armoured himself up a bit more and grown a bit more of a spearing device [;)]

Ill have the concept for the 3rd evolution done by 2morow hopefully. maybe even the concept for the hero as well.

Might also have a crack at modelling the first stage Aq, will see how it goes....[:)]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_aquanconceptmodsheet.jpg[/img]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:15 PM Permalink

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! *drools all over keyboard* that is seriously sweet. i like the one where he is kinda standin up. It reminds me of a character from pokemon i think his name was dragonair or somthing. seriously cool.

The evolution flows very well.

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:57 PM Permalink

nice I like it :)

One thing you could have a potential problem with though is the curvacious nature of the design - from the bone mask, to the body to the fins, they're all smooth and curvy and flowing. Should be interesting to see how you weight your poly budget distribution [:)]

One last comment, but with those new style eyes in the second evo, the bone mask is really looking like that pokemon dog with the bone mask on his face. Here's a pic:

[img]http://www.happychild.org.uk/Webimage/marowak.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 10:17 PM Permalink

Man - i dont even watch pokemon!!!!!!! ive heard of pekachu but wouldnt be able to draw him if you asked me [:P]

It shows that you really have to do a bit of research before delving into these comps hey - i should have given myslef a bit more time, but unfortunately i have cut it a bit short [:(] will post the next evo tonight.....

Thanks for the comment about the curvy nature of the concepts JI - i understand fully what im up against in trying to reproduce that - ill give it my best shot tho [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 11/03/04 - 10:32 PM Permalink

it is very pokemon style but i dont think anyones saying thats a bad thing!!! look how sucessfull pokemon is! :D

good stuff

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 12/03/04 - 3:48 AM Permalink

JI i think his name was Marowak or somthin', i was obsessed with pokemon when i was in grade 6 and 7 now i'm in year 11, how fast time flys.

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 12/03/04 - 4:31 AM Permalink

Very cool. Can't wait for the 3rd evolution :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 12/03/04 - 9:30 AM Permalink

Hi guys - heres the final concept ive come up with - this is after 2 blue pills.

First stage is Aq goes to Aquan then finally BEHOLD..... < booming orchestral intro music > AQUANOX!!!!! [:0][:0][:0]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_aquanoxconcept.jpg[/img]

Ive modelled up the stage 1 - will unwrap and texture him as soon as i can. Am working on the concept for the hero right now.

Ill also post a scale of all 4 , 3 evolutions + hero.

Submitted by alia on Fri, 12/03/04 - 9:36 AM Permalink

Wow, thats an awesome idea.. cant wait to see it completed!

Hope you have enough tris.

A.

Submitted by FireFlight on Fri, 12/03/04 - 9:58 AM Permalink

That is so cool, I coudl imagine some lil kid who likes pokemon putting that on their lunchbox or where ever they stick em now days.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 12/03/04 - 10:07 AM Permalink

wow youve turned this dolphin character into a large serpentine type design, good stuff

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 12/03/04 - 11:31 AM Permalink

That is so mad! I realy like the evolutions, and the comments.

WANT TO SEE IT MODELED NOW!!!!!!

HURRY UP!!!!!

I'M WAITING!!!!!!

lol[:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 12/03/04 - 11:53 AM Permalink

HAH! thanks guys! i appreciate the comments.

Blackjack - im going as fast as i can son! i canny take much more!!

th 1st stage is complete and weighs in at around 350 tris - im trying to savea lot of tris for the last evo so i can get him deforming quite well [;)]

ill post a piccy of the 1st evo hopefully 2morow nite, also i just finished the line art for the hero so ill post that either 2morow or tonight if ive got enough time.....

also a note on the final evo - ive made the jump from 2nd to 3rd evo really epic proportioned - just to influence that hes the ultimate being !![:0]

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 12/03/04 - 6:27 PM Permalink

Wow that is really cool, the evolutions are completely differant but the same if you know whta i mean. REally nice work man, Just some advice try and save every last Tri, you are going to need them especially for that last evo :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 12/03/04 - 8:22 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by HazarD

also a note on the final evo - ive made the jump from 2nd to 3rd evo really epic proportioned - just to influence that hes the ultimate being !![:0]

Hey! You nearly stole my quote and direction damn it! see:

quote:yah, the third stage was always meant to be quite a jump - just to emphasise that it is the final, ultimate stage

umm... direction thief! oh ok, ok... I'm just being a 'tard [;)]

but seriously, I'm really liking this design. I hope you can keep that brilliant edge flow the character(s) have, and also the impact that the "simple" style has. Actually, if any entry was going to be toon shaded, I'd of loved to see this one like it. It's got that real awesome cute but cool pokemon look

good stuff, keep it up [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 12/03/04 - 9:18 PM Permalink

ok ok ok !!! i knew i remembered someone writing something like that [;)] thanks J.I for planting that awesome direction design seed in my head [:D) gee whiz i gotta look up to someone dont i [:I]

glad people like it, and Bullet21 - im really concious of the number of tris i need for the last stage, im hacking tri's of both the first and second evo as much as i can to compensate - i dont want the difference to be tooo major tho.

ill still try to make all 3 stages have a nice flow and deform all good.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 13/03/04 - 8:44 AM Permalink

Heres the concept of the main hero guy Wynter !! [:0] hes a Mer-Man type character. Ive decided to use similar colours & characteristics like the sapphire horns, webby type spines and similar flat wide tails.

im also posting a scale diagram so you can see the size difference between the evolutions etc...

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_wynterconcept.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_scale-sheet.jpg[/img]

Ill post some progress shots of the meshes 2morow [:D]

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 13/03/04 - 9:02 AM Permalink

Fantastic work.
That last form looks amazing.

cheers

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 13/03/04 - 7:55 PM Permalink

Ithink this has just become my favourite entry. The Main character is look great, good work, now hurry up and model it. Luv the names as well.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 13/03/04 - 9:06 PM Permalink

THanks for the positive feedback guys, i should be posting some mesh shots tonight of the first and second evolutions, might even get hte texture done for Aq. Ive also just noted that my scale diagram is a bit on the piss, the Aq should be a tad bigger [:(]

Bullet21 - im hurrying man, im hurrying. [:D]

Submitted by FireFlight on Sat, 13/03/04 - 11:46 PM Permalink

Hero looks really good there hazard, nice job.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 19/03/04 - 5:58 AM Permalink

Well progress has been a bit slow - my tablet broke and my loving fiance just brought me a new wacom graphire 3 [:D] so i should be updating this soon as...

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 19/03/04 - 6:15 AM Permalink

ohhhhhhhhh, i want a loving fiance to buy me a graphire 3

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Sat, 20/03/04 - 3:56 AM Permalink

ohhhh... i want a loving fiance...

... or a graphire 3...

either way...

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Its a wee bit late, but i said id enter so heres the concept for the first stage little guy.

I thought to go for an aquatic theme - something a wee bit different.

The hero type guy is going to be a merman of sorts, big fat trident - im kinda thinking of him as i type.

Im going the 2 blue pills route for the sidekick - Aq.

Basically he starts off as this little guy who just swims around butting things with the bone like head covering he has, to protect his master.

Also the pills will be a special formula which, when popped open, create a murky cloud of water, hiding the metamorphosis from potential enemies. Aq will enter the cloud - giving the enemies a guise of fleeing, only to re-emerge seconds later more powerful than before!!! [:0]

Ill post the 2nd and third stages along with the hero as quickly as i can.

comments / crits welcome :) ( mind the quick colouring [;)] )

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_aqconceptmodsheet.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Wed, 10/03/04 - 10:17 AM Permalink

looks cool, but it looks awfully a lot like the entry pantmonger did for the steed and rider comp.

Great minds think alike I guess.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 10/03/04 - 11:20 AM Permalink

oh christ really ?? - ill go have a look make sure its not toooo similar.

if its a bit close ill change it - the evolutions should make him a bit different anyways.

Sorry pantmonger! should have done more research before i delved in. [:(]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 10/03/04 - 6:39 PM Permalink

Just because they are both aquatic doesn't mean they are similar, this one is a kinda cute little fish, whiles pants was a massive scary shark with armour on it head and big ass teeth, they aren't similare at all really.

I think it is a great idea i was kinda hoping you'd enter. Luv to see the models and i think you should get it finished in time if you worked on it like you did that cyber punk you worked on.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 10/03/04 - 7:57 PM Permalink

looks good - looks to be something that'd fit happily in the poke'mon universe, with the same kind of cutesy simple but elegant designs.

I'd actually love to see this modelled and textured up in the 3d poke'mon game style. Solid colours, black lines, etc. It's always a very "basic" but visually appealing and striking style.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 1:09 AM Permalink

Thanks Bullet21 & JI - just working on the texture for the runner at the mo, will finish up the line drawing / model sheet for the second evolution later on tonight.

Also will post a WIP for the texture im doing for the Runner.

Stay tuned.....

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 12:53 PM Permalink

Heres the concept for the second evolution.

ill do a scale diagram once all three concepts are done.

hes sprouted a few additions and got a bit bigger / more streamlined but at the same time, hes armoured himself up a bit more and grown a bit more of a spearing device [;)]

Ill have the concept for the 3rd evolution done by 2morow hopefully. maybe even the concept for the hero as well.

Might also have a crack at modelling the first stage Aq, will see how it goes....[:)]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_aquanconceptmodsheet.jpg[/img]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:15 PM Permalink

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! *drools all over keyboard* that is seriously sweet. i like the one where he is kinda standin up. It reminds me of a character from pokemon i think his name was dragonair or somthing. seriously cool.

The evolution flows very well.

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:57 PM Permalink

nice I like it :)

One thing you could have a potential problem with though is the curvacious nature of the design - from the bone mask, to the body to the fins, they're all smooth and curvy and flowing. Should be interesting to see how you weight your poly budget distribution [:)]

One last comment, but with those new style eyes in the second evo, the bone mask is really looking like that pokemon dog with the bone mask on his face. Here's a pic:

[img]http://www.happychild.org.uk/Webimage/marowak.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 10:17 PM Permalink

Man - i dont even watch pokemon!!!!!!! ive heard of pekachu but wouldnt be able to draw him if you asked me [:P]

It shows that you really have to do a bit of research before delving into these comps hey - i should have given myslef a bit more time, but unfortunately i have cut it a bit short [:(] will post the next evo tonight.....

Thanks for the comment about the curvy nature of the concepts JI - i understand fully what im up against in trying to reproduce that - ill give it my best shot tho [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 11/03/04 - 10:32 PM Permalink

it is very pokemon style but i dont think anyones saying thats a bad thing!!! look how sucessfull pokemon is! :D

good stuff

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 12/03/04 - 3:48 AM Permalink

JI i think his name was Marowak or somthin', i was obsessed with pokemon when i was in grade 6 and 7 now i'm in year 11, how fast time flys.

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 12/03/04 - 4:31 AM Permalink

Very cool. Can't wait for the 3rd evolution :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 12/03/04 - 9:30 AM Permalink

Hi guys - heres the final concept ive come up with - this is after 2 blue pills.

First stage is Aq goes to Aquan then finally BEHOLD..... < booming orchestral intro music > AQUANOX!!!!! [:0][:0][:0]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_aquanoxconcept.jpg[/img]

Ive modelled up the stage 1 - will unwrap and texture him as soon as i can. Am working on the concept for the hero right now.

Ill also post a scale of all 4 , 3 evolutions + hero.

Submitted by alia on Fri, 12/03/04 - 9:36 AM Permalink

Wow, thats an awesome idea.. cant wait to see it completed!

Hope you have enough tris.

A.

Submitted by FireFlight on Fri, 12/03/04 - 9:58 AM Permalink

That is so cool, I coudl imagine some lil kid who likes pokemon putting that on their lunchbox or where ever they stick em now days.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 12/03/04 - 10:07 AM Permalink

wow youve turned this dolphin character into a large serpentine type design, good stuff

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 12/03/04 - 11:31 AM Permalink

That is so mad! I realy like the evolutions, and the comments.

WANT TO SEE IT MODELED NOW!!!!!!

HURRY UP!!!!!

I'M WAITING!!!!!!

lol[:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 12/03/04 - 11:53 AM Permalink

HAH! thanks guys! i appreciate the comments.

Blackjack - im going as fast as i can son! i canny take much more!!

th 1st stage is complete and weighs in at around 350 tris - im trying to savea lot of tris for the last evo so i can get him deforming quite well [;)]

ill post a piccy of the 1st evo hopefully 2morow nite, also i just finished the line art for the hero so ill post that either 2morow or tonight if ive got enough time.....

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 12/03/04 - 6:27 PM Permalink

Wow that is really cool, the evolutions are completely differant but the same if you know whta i mean. REally nice work man, Just some advice try and save every last Tri, you are going to need them especially for that last evo :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 12/03/04 - 8:22 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by HazarD

Hey! You nearly stole my quote and direction damn it! see:

quote:yah, the third stage was always meant to be quite a jump - just to emphasise that it is the final, ultimate stage

umm... direction thief! oh ok, ok... I'm just being a 'tard [;)]

but seriously, I'm really liking this design. I hope you can keep that brilliant edge flow the character(s) have, and also the impact that the "simple" style has. Actually, if any entry was going to be toon shaded, I'd of loved to see this one like it. It's got that real awesome cute but cool pokemon look

good stuff, keep it up [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 12/03/04 - 9:18 PM Permalink

ok ok ok !!! i knew i remembered someone writing something like that [;)] thanks J.I for planting that awesome direction design seed in my head [:D) gee whiz i gotta look up to someone dont i [:I]

glad people like it, and Bullet21 - im really concious of the number of tris i need for the last stage, im hacking tri's of both the first and second evo as much as i can to compensate - i dont want the difference to be tooo major tho.

ill still try to make all 3 stages have a nice flow and deform all good.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 13/03/04 - 8:44 AM Permalink

Heres the concept of the main hero guy Wynter !! [:0] hes a Mer-Man type character. Ive decided to use similar colours & characteristics like the sapphire horns, webby type spines and similar flat wide tails.

im also posting a scale diagram so you can see the size difference between the evolutions etc...

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_wynterconcept.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_scale-sheet.jpg[/img]

Ill post some progress shots of the meshes 2morow [:D]

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 13/03/04 - 9:02 AM Permalink

Fantastic work.
That last form looks amazing.

cheers

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 13/03/04 - 7:55 PM Permalink

Ithink this has just become my favourite entry. The Main character is look great, good work, now hurry up and model it. Luv the names as well.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 13/03/04 - 9:06 PM Permalink

THanks for the positive feedback guys, i should be posting some mesh shots tonight of the first and second evolutions, might even get hte texture done for Aq. Ive also just noted that my scale diagram is a bit on the piss, the Aq should be a tad bigger [:(]

Bullet21 - im hurrying man, im hurrying. [:D]

Submitted by FireFlight on Sat, 13/03/04 - 11:46 PM Permalink

Hero looks really good there hazard, nice job.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 19/03/04 - 5:58 AM Permalink

Well progress has been a bit slow - my tablet broke and my loving fiance just brought me a new wacom graphire 3 [:D] so i should be updating this soon as...

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 19/03/04 - 6:15 AM Permalink

ohhhhhhhhh, i want a loving fiance to buy me a graphire 3

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Sat, 20/03/04 - 3:56 AM Permalink

ohhhh... i want a loving fiance...

... or a graphire 3...

either way...