Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #9 - rosco

Submitted by Rosco on

Okay putting in for this one, sat and spied for too long.

Going to create Hephaestus and mutate him, working up the concept now. Good thing is will give me a chance to bash it out in Mudbox.

sigh.....what have I got myself into...

Submitted by souri on Sun, 08/07/07 - 11:35 AM Permalink

That's the spirit!

Submitted by Rosco on Tue, 31/07/07 - 5:40 PM Permalink

Okay, been doing some sketches but not sure on the style to head as yet. Here's some roughs for proportion and getting some ideas for character which should hopefully push me in a direction for the look and feel of him.

Just some back story on Hephaetus, to save you from Wikiing, he's one of the major Olympian gods. He's the god of fire and forges and is the creator of many things. He's also badly mutated, either from birth or being kicked out of Olympus by Zeus cause they had a tiff, ate his sandwich or something. He married Aphrodite though she despised him because of his looks and so she had an affair with Ares. The gods only laughed at his misfortune so he is generally a bit peeved the other gods.

So anywhooo, Heph's will have a huge giant arm that is supported by a large muscular right side. His left side will be quite lean, and his legs will be thin and perhaps inturned from being lame. He usually pounces about using his staff to pole-vault about and then mash people with his hammer of smiting. Though I was a bit partial to the wheel chair idea of some myths, (up goes the polys). His right hand is cauterised around the handle of his hammer. Attire wise, butt naked except for a smithing apron to protect the brass monkeys, and place a few accessories about willy nilly.

Submitted by sebp on Wed, 01/08/07 - 3:03 AM Permalink

exo! I really like the dynamic poses

Submitted by Rosco on Thu, 02/08/07 - 5:07 PM Permalink

Just a little sketch of one way I'm thinking, though he looks too nice and needs to get nastier, think I'll keep the fire and beard. Might throw in some McFarlane direction, and get gritty and nasty

okay here's the evil one. Think this one works better as I finally warmed up on my tablet. Guess they both give you the idea of which why I was going with them. Last one has embedded chain cloak, iron pins in the shoulder, nails in the feet and a helmet to hide the face, mainly because I have no idea what to make him look like...sigh, need more life drawing classes....

Rosco2007-08-02 08:26:23

Submitted by benny s on Mon, 06/08/07 - 2:34 AM Permalink

awesome concept man, that will turn out really cool.

get going so we can see your skills

Submitted by Rosco on Mon, 06/08/07 - 4:59 AM Permalink

thanks guys...going to be an interesting process as I haven't gone to town and actually finished something for ages, still haven't finished my Wow character....but now I have less distractions and a little more time...

So I'll post my processes and get some feed back as I go for those with a little more normal mapping pipeline experience.

Process of thinking....start up in Maya and get base model, I'll do a head as well, as I've thought about making him look like a perfect stereotypical marble bust form. Then I'll pump him into mudbox then blow up my lappy as I try add detail.

So it will begin in the next few days....and if I keep to trends...will possibly never finish....

Posted by Rosco on

Okay putting in for this one, sat and spied for too long.

Going to create Hephaestus and mutate him, working up the concept now. Good thing is will give me a chance to bash it out in Mudbox.

sigh.....what have I got myself into...

Submitted by souri on Sun, 08/07/07 - 11:35 AM Permalink

That's the spirit!

Submitted by Rosco on Tue, 31/07/07 - 5:40 PM Permalink

Okay, been doing some sketches but not sure on the style to head as yet. Here's some roughs for proportion and getting some ideas for character which should hopefully push me in a direction for the look and feel of him.

Just some back story on Hephaetus, to save you from Wikiing, he's one of the major Olympian gods. He's the god of fire and forges and is the creator of many things. He's also badly mutated, either from birth or being kicked out of Olympus by Zeus cause they had a tiff, ate his sandwich or something. He married Aphrodite though she despised him because of his looks and so she had an affair with Ares. The gods only laughed at his misfortune so he is generally a bit peeved the other gods.

So anywhooo, Heph's will have a huge giant arm that is supported by a large muscular right side. His left side will be quite lean, and his legs will be thin and perhaps inturned from being lame. He usually pounces about using his staff to pole-vault about and then mash people with his hammer of smiting. Though I was a bit partial to the wheel chair idea of some myths, (up goes the polys). His right hand is cauterised around the handle of his hammer. Attire wise, butt naked except for a smithing apron to protect the brass monkeys, and place a few accessories about willy nilly.

Submitted by sebp on Wed, 01/08/07 - 3:03 AM Permalink

exo! I really like the dynamic poses

Submitted by Rosco on Thu, 02/08/07 - 5:07 PM Permalink

Just a little sketch of one way I'm thinking, though he looks too nice and needs to get nastier, think I'll keep the fire and beard. Might throw in some McFarlane direction, and get gritty and nasty

okay here's the evil one. Think this one works better as I finally warmed up on my tablet. Guess they both give you the idea of which why I was going with them. Last one has embedded chain cloak, iron pins in the shoulder, nails in the feet and a helmet to hide the face, mainly because I have no idea what to make him look like...sigh, need more life drawing classes....

Rosco2007-08-02 08:26:23

Submitted by benny s on Mon, 06/08/07 - 2:34 AM Permalink

awesome concept man, that will turn out really cool.

get going so we can see your skills

Submitted by Rosco on Mon, 06/08/07 - 4:59 AM Permalink

thanks guys...going to be an interesting process as I haven't gone to town and actually finished something for ages, still haven't finished my Wow character....but now I have less distractions and a little more time...

So I'll post my processes and get some feed back as I go for those with a little more normal mapping pipeline experience.

Process of thinking....start up in Maya and get base model, I'll do a head as well, as I've thought about making him look like a perfect stereotypical marble bust form. Then I'll pump him into mudbox then blow up my lappy as I try add detail.

So it will begin in the next few days....and if I keep to trends...will possibly never finish....