Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #7 - Wizenedoldman

Early stages yet, wish I could post my concept but I don't have access to a scanner at the moment. I'll be doing the fighter class and it should fit somewhat with the style of Curtin's concepts.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Wizenedoldman/20054619018_fighte…]

Submitted by rezn0r on Thu, 07/04/05 - 11:39 PM Permalink

Looks Canadian. :P

Scott.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 08/04/05 - 4:22 AM Permalink

lol rez, looking good so far wiz, does echo curtins style a bit yeah

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 16/04/05 - 9:23 PM Permalink

Yeah, futurism ? the way things are going, we?ll probably be running around with stones and pointy sticks [:P]

Interesting concept, which looks aligned with Curtins concepts. With those extremely lanky proportions, he looks kinda alien. Good work so far.

Do you plan on showing a full-bodied concept? That would be cool. [:)]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 30/04/05 - 10:04 AM Permalink

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/wizenedoldman/200542992756_fight…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/wizenedoldman/200542993148_fight…]

I'm thinking I should put a little story with this guy now so here goes:

Bred from the biomass vats owned by the Pollo Peace Solutions corporation, the genetically engineered SS-23 model soldier has been designed for battle, stripped of all unnecessary parts and programmed to eliminate.

The SS-23 comes fully loaded with an arm-mounted, close-range phase cannon which upon firing lets out a wide spread blast of super-kinetic plasma discharge which can bring down an African bull eliphant at full speed.

Installed in SS-23's spinal nerve port is the optional 'senseboost?' functionality. 4 chambers contain a seperate neurotransmitter for the sense of sight, hearing, touch and smell and can be deployed at will by the individual soldier with a mere thought. These highly developed chemicals produce a hyper-sensitivity for the said senses and can aid the soldier during battle in many ways. Of course discretion should be taken when using these as there is a limited supply in each chamber, but refills can be purchased at your local Pollo reseller, and if they're not in stock, ask them to get them in!

Fitted into each SS-23's helmets are scopic lenses that have the ability to pick up almost any specified electromagnetic wavelength. This includes audio pick up which, through sensors connected directly to the brain, enable the soldier to 'see' sound, a truly unique feature to this model, and almost unprecedented on the modern battlefield giving the SS-23 model an even greater edge against your enemy.

Standing at over 7 feet tall and coming in a range of colours such as vermillion, turquoise and fuschia, head on down to your local Pollo Peace Solutions reseller and pick up an SS-23 for yourself today, with a launch price special of $2.1 million US, how can you say no!?

disclaimer: Pollo Peace Solutions takes no responsibility for any fatalities of customers caused as a result of the removal of the SS-23's helmet, you've been warned, NEVER TOUCH THEIR HELMETS!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 01/05/05 - 11:42 PM Permalink

a story is allways welcome! :D
is he just ballancing on his toes temporarily or do you plan to have him move about like that?

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 02/05/05 - 9:06 PM Permalink

Thanks Moony, what I plan to do is model him some shoes/boots and maybe keep him in that pose, so the shoes would have some thick soles at the back, but maybe not up that high. Gives him a more 'ready for action' look. I've also ditched the hand gun for the moment, unless anyone likes it, but I'm not sold on it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 03/05/05 - 12:10 AM Permalink

unfortunatly neither am i, also if this is keyed towards becoming a UT2k4 character then im not sure if that kind of thing is possible, ask kezza.

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 06/05/05 - 9:07 AM Permalink

nice work wizend, i really like the style and feel of the character. one thing that sticks out is the flatness of his bum and the back of the thighs. in answer to ur question, perhaps try some sort of wiring to make the pants look futuristic, you can also use the texture for this.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 03/06/05 - 8:03 AM Permalink

aaaah i cant beleive i never noticed it till now but your dude looks sad! Its because of those little handles (i think) above the eye holes on the helmet, especially with the circular eye holes they look like little cartoony eyebrows, slanted in a sad/worried expression. He's also lacking fine detail, i mean i know his attire is pretty minimalistic but maybe a buckle on the shoulder straps? things like that (lol yes i know, i just told you to take something away and complained there wasnt enough detail).

Thats like.... refinement though, its a great model

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 14/06/05 - 7:21 AM Permalink

I like the style of him Wiz. It was good to see the project progress through a refinement process too.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 14/06/05 - 8:27 AM Permalink

lookin great, still think those handle things on the helmet look like sad eyebrows but those extra details you added have paid off, looks much more complete.

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 14/06/05 - 9:24 AM Permalink

great work, i don't really have much to crit as it semms pretty clean. i'm looking forward to the texturing.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Tue, 14/06/05 - 10:16 AM Permalink

Cheers guys, getting positive feedback like that motivates me to work on the texturing :) And Moony, thanks again for that detail tip, really helped me push the model that little bit further with some spit and polish.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 30/06/05 - 11:34 PM Permalink

He looks Jaundiced! I think he might lack variation in tone as a general thing. I actually prefer the untextured models colour break up and balance.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 01/07/05 - 2:35 AM Permalink

cant say im a fan of the colour scheme :( the helmet in particular... i imagined something more metallic then yellow and it seems like everythings just getting muddy and your loosing things like the multiple straps around his waist which have just blended into one right now. The skin looks like someone has been hitting the fake tan too hard. sorry to come down on it so harsh but i think you could pull off a lot better

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:33 PM Permalink

apparently that fake tan look is the 'in' thing in the UK at the moment! I like this colour scheme much better Wiz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:42 PM Permalink

its a great improvement :) lets see that detail! :D oh and a note, watch out with getting too dark that it becomes a silouhette in parts.

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:45 PM Permalink

Yep a little more detail would help a bit, perhaps make the gray straps a different colour because they are hard to distinguish from the torso.

Early stages yet, wish I could post my concept but I don't have access to a scanner at the moment. I'll be doing the fighter class and it should fit somewhat with the style of Curtin's concepts.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Wizenedoldman/20054619018_fighte…]

Submitted by rezn0r on Thu, 07/04/05 - 11:39 PM Permalink

Looks Canadian. :P

Scott.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 08/04/05 - 4:22 AM Permalink

lol rez, looking good so far wiz, does echo curtins style a bit yeah

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 16/04/05 - 9:23 PM Permalink

Yeah, futurism ? the way things are going, we?ll probably be running around with stones and pointy sticks [:P]

Interesting concept, which looks aligned with Curtins concepts. With those extremely lanky proportions, he looks kinda alien. Good work so far.

Do you plan on showing a full-bodied concept? That would be cool. [:)]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 30/04/05 - 10:04 AM Permalink

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/wizenedoldman/200542992756_fight…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/wizenedoldman/200542993148_fight…]

I'm thinking I should put a little story with this guy now so here goes:

Bred from the biomass vats owned by the Pollo Peace Solutions corporation, the genetically engineered SS-23 model soldier has been designed for battle, stripped of all unnecessary parts and programmed to eliminate.

The SS-23 comes fully loaded with an arm-mounted, close-range phase cannon which upon firing lets out a wide spread blast of super-kinetic plasma discharge which can bring down an African bull eliphant at full speed.

Installed in SS-23's spinal nerve port is the optional 'senseboost?' functionality. 4 chambers contain a seperate neurotransmitter for the sense of sight, hearing, touch and smell and can be deployed at will by the individual soldier with a mere thought. These highly developed chemicals produce a hyper-sensitivity for the said senses and can aid the soldier during battle in many ways. Of course discretion should be taken when using these as there is a limited supply in each chamber, but refills can be purchased at your local Pollo reseller, and if they're not in stock, ask them to get them in!

Fitted into each SS-23's helmets are scopic lenses that have the ability to pick up almost any specified electromagnetic wavelength. This includes audio pick up which, through sensors connected directly to the brain, enable the soldier to 'see' sound, a truly unique feature to this model, and almost unprecedented on the modern battlefield giving the SS-23 model an even greater edge against your enemy.

Standing at over 7 feet tall and coming in a range of colours such as vermillion, turquoise and fuschia, head on down to your local Pollo Peace Solutions reseller and pick up an SS-23 for yourself today, with a launch price special of $2.1 million US, how can you say no!?

disclaimer: Pollo Peace Solutions takes no responsibility for any fatalities of customers caused as a result of the removal of the SS-23's helmet, you've been warned, NEVER TOUCH THEIR HELMETS!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 01/05/05 - 11:42 PM Permalink

a story is allways welcome! :D
is he just ballancing on his toes temporarily or do you plan to have him move about like that?

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 02/05/05 - 9:06 PM Permalink

Thanks Moony, what I plan to do is model him some shoes/boots and maybe keep him in that pose, so the shoes would have some thick soles at the back, but maybe not up that high. Gives him a more 'ready for action' look. I've also ditched the hand gun for the moment, unless anyone likes it, but I'm not sold on it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 03/05/05 - 12:10 AM Permalink

unfortunatly neither am i, also if this is keyed towards becoming a UT2k4 character then im not sure if that kind of thing is possible, ask kezza.

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 06/05/05 - 9:07 AM Permalink

nice work wizend, i really like the style and feel of the character. one thing that sticks out is the flatness of his bum and the back of the thighs. in answer to ur question, perhaps try some sort of wiring to make the pants look futuristic, you can also use the texture for this.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 03/06/05 - 8:03 AM Permalink

aaaah i cant beleive i never noticed it till now but your dude looks sad! Its because of those little handles (i think) above the eye holes on the helmet, especially with the circular eye holes they look like little cartoony eyebrows, slanted in a sad/worried expression. He's also lacking fine detail, i mean i know his attire is pretty minimalistic but maybe a buckle on the shoulder straps? things like that (lol yes i know, i just told you to take something away and complained there wasnt enough detail).

Thats like.... refinement though, its a great model

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 14/06/05 - 7:21 AM Permalink

I like the style of him Wiz. It was good to see the project progress through a refinement process too.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 14/06/05 - 8:27 AM Permalink

lookin great, still think those handle things on the helmet look like sad eyebrows but those extra details you added have paid off, looks much more complete.

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 14/06/05 - 9:24 AM Permalink

great work, i don't really have much to crit as it semms pretty clean. i'm looking forward to the texturing.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Tue, 14/06/05 - 10:16 AM Permalink

Cheers guys, getting positive feedback like that motivates me to work on the texturing :) And Moony, thanks again for that detail tip, really helped me push the model that little bit further with some spit and polish.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 30/06/05 - 11:34 PM Permalink

He looks Jaundiced! I think he might lack variation in tone as a general thing. I actually prefer the untextured models colour break up and balance.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 01/07/05 - 2:35 AM Permalink

cant say im a fan of the colour scheme :( the helmet in particular... i imagined something more metallic then yellow and it seems like everythings just getting muddy and your loosing things like the multiple straps around his waist which have just blended into one right now. The skin looks like someone has been hitting the fake tan too hard. sorry to come down on it so harsh but i think you could pull off a lot better

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:33 PM Permalink

apparently that fake tan look is the 'in' thing in the UK at the moment! I like this colour scheme much better Wiz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:42 PM Permalink

its a great improvement :) lets see that detail! :D oh and a note, watch out with getting too dark that it becomes a silouhette in parts.

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:45 PM Permalink

Yep a little more detail would help a bit, perhaps make the gray straps a different colour because they are hard to distinguish from the torso.