Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 - 3d - smeg - Challenger #3

Submitted by smeg on

"The Hogosha is a supremely placid creature, despite his size and strength. He had no desires other than to lead a peaceful existence.

He was summoned to join a demon army that would rise up against the growing human threat; a battle that could never be justified, nor won.

Refusing to join, Hogosha was cursed, and banished to a remote underground temple, where he guards a sacred artifact, unknown even to him. The curse ensures that upon failure of his task, his spirit will be cast into the netherworld.

Even though his flesh is long dead, Hogosha still stands his ground; a spirit, fighting only to survive."

[img]http://thevogts.customer.netspace.net.au/hogosha.jpg[/img]

This was a really interesting experiment for me. I?m never one for bio?s; in fact, I?m usually cynical of the character backgrounds I come across. But this challenge offered me an opportunity to remain within the guidelines laid down, and still come up with something different, which I felt (in the end) needed an explanation.

I was watching Princess Mononoke recently and was struck by the two-sided nature of most characters. Characters or beasts that seemed evil were often operating under the influence of another character, or simply struggling to survive in the only way they knew. (damn, studio Ghibli films are fantastic)

To cut a long story short, I did my best to create a character that isn?t evil by nature, but has the means and motivation to become a powerful adversary.

As far as the sketch is concerned, please don?t get hung up on muscle structure or skin tones. I?m experimenting with strange muscle structures and the idea of sagging muscle mass and wasting flesh. Oh yeah, and his pose is kinda goofy.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 06/08/03 - 10:16 AM Permalink

Interesting design and bio man, nice to see your entering.

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 06/08/03 - 8:50 PM Permalink

now thats kool smeg..........[:D] very different.....

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 06/08/03 - 9:51 PM Permalink

I'm quite a fan of this. I knew by your posts in the suggestions thread that you would do something different.

I wanted to do something like this, but didn't really have the guts and couldn't quite get it to work.

I like the Tibetan Monk colours and drapery as well as the torch lamp. Is he sort of like a clay creature who is partly unsculpted?

If you want to bring out his desperate side, perhaps a link between the torch and his eyes could be done.

Big kudos on the original design, however I think something needs to be done or conveyed to show his power or that he has power and doesn't use it. Or is that the whole point of this guy?

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 06/08/03 - 11:08 PM Permalink

Malus, Ninja - thanks guys.

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr
I like the Tibetan Monk colours and drapery as well as the torch lamp. Is he sort of like a clay creature who is partly unsculpted?

Thanks. I'm intending to really go to town on some rotting flesh, but i don't really want that to be the focus of the character (i'm not going for an "urk, gross." reaction).
The unsculpted clay thing is a very cool idea though... [:)]

quote:...I think something needs to be done or conveyed to show his power or that he has power and doesn't use it. Or is that the whole point of this guy?

This is a good point. I've been considering ways off approaching this.

Essentially, i think i'll have to give him a magical slant. A large weapon (sword, axe, blade) wouldn't suit the character. But glowing carvings on his shoulder, chest and hand might just do the trick...

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 07/08/03 - 12:46 AM Permalink

quote: Essentially, i think i'll have to give him a magical slant. A large weapon (sword, axe, blade) wouldn't suit the character. But glowing carvings on his shoulder, chest and hand might just do the trick...

Glowing glyphs or tattoos would work well. Perhaps if you've read Battle Chasers, there is a character in that called "Brass Demur" - he's night-blue but has these glowing gold/orange inscriptions that protection him from physical harm. I think something like a symbol in the centre of his forehead would be enough. The plain design of the character might end up polluted if he's covered in glyphs.

When I first saw the torch, I thought he was keeping someone's soul or something. Perhaps if he was keeping his own soul in the lantern, then he could have glowing eyes the same colour as whatever was inside. Glowing eyes are usually a pretty good way of conveying power.

For some reason he reminds me of an enemy in the Final Fantasy games (can't remember for the life of me what he's called) that is a small mole like character that is pretty much immune to magical and physical attacks. He has one physical attack that kills characters instantly.

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 07/08/03 - 1:15 AM Permalink

I know the ones your talking about jonathan, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name either. He has a little lantern and sort of gradually shuffles toward you (FFVIII). He was sort of cutesy though... little black thing with a hat.

Nice concept Smeg, I really like the lantern idea!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 07/08/03 - 2:18 AM Permalink

Good to see another non traditinal take on demon lordship, it will be interesting to see how all these things turn out.

As for the FF creature comment, That would be one of my favorite creatures of all time.

Master Tonberry (Sometimes just 'Tonberry')

His knife attack is auto kill but it some times misses, but when he shakes his lantern at you its 'Everyones Grudge' and you take damage dependant on how many creatures you have killed thus far in the game. Hence major characters die real quick.

Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 07/08/03 - 9:43 PM Permalink

Master Tonberry, it is!!!

Thank God -- now I can finally put that thing out of my head.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 07/08/03 - 11:18 PM Permalink

You should have fun doing the flabby rolls Daniel, I really enjoyed my Tweedle dum/dee model because of the fatty rolls etc. With the polycount and the fact that hes really quite a basic form you could really make the definition stand out.

I like Jon's idea of his soul being in the lantern, the sacred artifact could be that very soul too.

My only critique is that i can't see a visual link to him being an overlord, the bio alludes to it but there isn't an obvious visual characteristic that portrays it.

The power wards etched into him might convey more authority,I was going to do that to my first concept, glowing runes are always a good look [:P].

Saying that I like the idea that his power is subtle and unconfronting...until you mess with him that is.

He looks sad, lost and trapped with those hollow eyes. I wouldn't change them much, if at all.

I'd make them a feature.

Maybe the only change would be a very small, subtle glowing ball of light (modelled) set deep in his skull, like a glimmer of his soul that remains?

This guy has alot of potential, but alot of room to go wrong too, good personal challenge there man. [:)]
I know you'll do him justice.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 08/08/03 - 12:10 AM Permalink

Perhaps you can bend the rules a bit.

In the background, draw a huge mass of demons, or a big silhouette implying that there is a massive army behind him.

This is definitely a character that you'd have to see in action before you could really see his power. Alternatively, draw another concept with Hogosha in a palanquin being carried by big 'fuck-off' demons. The more fearsome they are, the more impressive he seems.

You don't have to model them, but perhaps the palanquin could be added. Simply draw them in or illustrate them in your money shot pic.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 12:34 AM Permalink

you can show his power in subtle ways, like the runes. The concept isn't voted on so why add to that.

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 08/08/03 - 12:51 AM Permalink

Good points guys. I'm going to try to convey his power without outside influences (additional characters or image elements). His pose will need to be very deliberate...

Having said that, i'm also trying hard to ensure he looks cool if you don't know his story.

Malus, you probably wont be surprised to learn that i started with the eyes; the rest of the concept came later.

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Sun, 24/08/03 - 2:27 AM Permalink

Hey Daniel,
Guess Who? It looks really good and I like the bio. Man you have improved alot since I last saw you. Last week I started modelling a demon creature and I posted it on Cgtalk. I got told about this comp and I think I'll enter it there seems to be great competition here.
I'm looking forward to see it complete.

later dude.[:D]

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 25/08/03 - 12:48 AM Permalink

WHOA! Hows it going Ari?

Thanks man. The hardest part is trying to find time to work on the model :( ... work is pretty time consuming at the moment.

You'll have to drop me an email (which i wont be able to read until monday...). We'll have to catch up.

Submitted by ScORCHo on Tue, 02/09/03 - 10:02 PM Permalink

OI!! hey look is Ari and Dan..How you guys goin? looks good smeg..I like the shading style.

if you forget..its Joel, your fellow student from that really "AWEsome" place...started with Q. ;)

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 03/09/03 - 1:32 AM Permalink

god, its like a reunion or something.

Howdy scorch!

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 11/09/03 - 8:33 AM Permalink

Damn, it has taken too long for me to get around to this.

This is the first real 3d i've done in a year. It also the first time I've used editable poly (very nice) because spline modelling sucks so bad.

[img]http://thevogts.customer.netspace.net.au/hogosha_wip.jpg[/img]
(sorry about the size of the image)

i'm just (EDIT) around 3.6k *damnit* (/EDIT) triangles atm. and obviously still has a way to go. As you can see i can still smooth things out a bit here and there, and i intend to try and spread the triangle density around more evenly ... is that what the youngens call it nowadays?

So, what do'ya think??

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 11/09/03 - 9:46 AM Permalink

i have a history of getting this wrong, but it seems to look like a fair few more trinagles than 2000.... anyway, it is a nicly surface articulated model, though would be tempted to make some of the overhangs of cloth/flesh a bit bigger... would the belt need to be bigger, or are you trying to dramaticise the different masses by having a tiny belt....

DSC

Submitted by 5 Lives Studios on Thu, 11/09/03 - 9:52 AM Permalink

Could it be counting quads than tris?

It does look like theres more than around 2k

Other than that the models lookin very nice

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 11/09/03 - 10:42 AM Permalink

groan. i suddenly dislike the polygon counter tool. whats a more reliable option?

Yes, way over. not to worry. easily fixed (mostly in the head).

thanks guys. =D

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 11/09/03 - 10:47 AM Permalink

Just convert to editable mesh (rather then poly) and use the poly counter, then undo after you have had a look.

Pantmonger

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 11/09/03 - 10:48 AM Permalink

ah. intuitive =D

thanks pants

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 13/09/03 - 3:58 AM Permalink

looks good....

.....but

quote:TOPIC:
Fantasy/medieval demonic darklord, the big bad guy/girl.(no sci fi)

he doesnt seem very bad to me. and your bio at the start says he is a nice guy. whats the go smeg??
maybe you could spend a couple polys on a token skull?? lol

Submitted by inglis (not verified) on Sat, 13/09/03 - 4:11 AM Permalink

I think this character resembles more of the panda brewmaster in warcraft 3 than the tonberry, The panda doesn't look that toughis slow moving but can absolutely kick your butt given the chance. I like the concept plus the idea of runes etches even more. I think it will really add to the overall sense of it.

Submitted by inglis (not verified) on Sat, 13/09/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

Not quite sure which version of max you are using, but a lil trick i've picked up is when modelling with polys and quads, use a turn to poly modifier on it and set the limit to 3 polys. Easy convert to triangles, and back again to quads[8D]

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 13/09/03 - 4:56 AM Permalink

the brewmaster is a gimicky character put in because its a running joke in blizzards concept art.
it makes beer explosions lol. i wouldnt call it an evil demonic darklord.

my opinion is he looks like a friendly giant and not what i would call a "demonic darklord". it wouldnt take much to 'evil' him up :)

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 13/09/03 - 5:31 AM Permalink

thanks inglis. I do have plans to evil him up, i've got some aces up my sleeve, i'm just not sure exactly how i'm going to do it. =D

icespike - hmm, i'll have to try that. Thanks.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 14/09/03 - 1:53 AM Permalink

quote:

he doesnt seem very bad to me. and your bio at the start says he is a nice guy. whats the go smeg??

Earlier on in the thread, Smeg established the backstory. The key to this character was to show power and influence in subtle non-generic ways.

quote:To cut a long story short, I did my best to create a character that isn?t evil by nature, but has the means and motivation to become a powerful adversary.

... was what he said. I think it should stay that way -- it could affect how ambitious or oblique future entries are from other contestants if people are too afraid to deviate or try new angles on design briefs.

*insert opinion disclaimer here*

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 14/09/03 - 11:06 PM Permalink

I agree he doesnt seem to tough, more like a yummy pink marshmallow....with a face like a butt.

Posted by smeg on

"The Hogosha is a supremely placid creature, despite his size and strength. He had no desires other than to lead a peaceful existence.

He was summoned to join a demon army that would rise up against the growing human threat; a battle that could never be justified, nor won.

Refusing to join, Hogosha was cursed, and banished to a remote underground temple, where he guards a sacred artifact, unknown even to him. The curse ensures that upon failure of his task, his spirit will be cast into the netherworld.

Even though his flesh is long dead, Hogosha still stands his ground; a spirit, fighting only to survive."

[img]http://thevogts.customer.netspace.net.au/hogosha.jpg[/img]

This was a really interesting experiment for me. I?m never one for bio?s; in fact, I?m usually cynical of the character backgrounds I come across. But this challenge offered me an opportunity to remain within the guidelines laid down, and still come up with something different, which I felt (in the end) needed an explanation.

I was watching Princess Mononoke recently and was struck by the two-sided nature of most characters. Characters or beasts that seemed evil were often operating under the influence of another character, or simply struggling to survive in the only way they knew. (damn, studio Ghibli films are fantastic)

To cut a long story short, I did my best to create a character that isn?t evil by nature, but has the means and motivation to become a powerful adversary.

As far as the sketch is concerned, please don?t get hung up on muscle structure or skin tones. I?m experimenting with strange muscle structures and the idea of sagging muscle mass and wasting flesh. Oh yeah, and his pose is kinda goofy.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 06/08/03 - 10:16 AM Permalink

Interesting design and bio man, nice to see your entering.

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 06/08/03 - 8:50 PM Permalink

now thats kool smeg..........[:D] very different.....

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 06/08/03 - 9:51 PM Permalink

I'm quite a fan of this. I knew by your posts in the suggestions thread that you would do something different.

I wanted to do something like this, but didn't really have the guts and couldn't quite get it to work.

If you want to bring out his desperate side, perhaps a link between the torch and his eyes could be done.

Big kudos on the original design, however I think something needs to be done or conveyed to show his power or that he has power and doesn't use it. Or is that the whole point of this guy?

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 06/08/03 - 11:08 PM Permalink

Malus, Ninja - thanks guys.

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr

Thanks. I'm intending to really go to town on some rotting flesh, but i don't really want that to be the focus of the character (i'm not going for an "urk, gross." reaction).
The unsculpted clay thing is a very cool idea though... [:)]

quote:...I think something needs to be done or conveyed to show his power or that he has power and doesn't use it. Or is that the whole point of this guy?

This is a good point. I've been considering ways off approaching this.

Essentially, i think i'll have to give him a magical slant. A large weapon (sword, axe, blade) wouldn't suit the character. But glowing carvings on his shoulder, chest and hand might just do the trick...

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 07/08/03 - 12:46 AM Permalink

quote: Essentially, i think i'll have to give him a magical slant. A large weapon (sword, axe, blade) wouldn't suit the character. But glowing carvings on his shoulder, chest and hand might just do the trick...

Glowing glyphs or tattoos would work well. Perhaps if you've read Battle Chasers, there is a character in that called "Brass Demur" - he's night-blue but has these glowing gold/orange inscriptions that protection him from physical harm. I think something like a symbol in the centre of his forehead would be enough. The plain design of the character might end up polluted if he's covered in glyphs.

When I first saw the torch, I thought he was keeping someone's soul or something. Perhaps if he was keeping his own soul in the lantern, then he could have glowing eyes the same colour as whatever was inside. Glowing eyes are usually a pretty good way of conveying power.

For some reason he reminds me of an enemy in the Final Fantasy games (can't remember for the life of me what he's called) that is a small mole like character that is pretty much immune to magical and physical attacks. He has one physical attack that kills characters instantly.

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 07/08/03 - 1:15 AM Permalink

I know the ones your talking about jonathan, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name either. He has a little lantern and sort of gradually shuffles toward you (FFVIII). He was sort of cutesy though... little black thing with a hat.

Nice concept Smeg, I really like the lantern idea!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 07/08/03 - 2:18 AM Permalink

Good to see another non traditinal take on demon lordship, it will be interesting to see how all these things turn out.

As for the FF creature comment, That would be one of my favorite creatures of all time.

Master Tonberry (Sometimes just 'Tonberry')

His knife attack is auto kill but it some times misses, but when he shakes his lantern at you its 'Everyones Grudge' and you take damage dependant on how many creatures you have killed thus far in the game. Hence major characters die real quick.

Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 07/08/03 - 9:43 PM Permalink

Master Tonberry, it is!!!

Thank God -- now I can finally put that thing out of my head.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 07/08/03 - 11:18 PM Permalink

You should have fun doing the flabby rolls Daniel, I really enjoyed my Tweedle dum/dee model because of the fatty rolls etc. With the polycount and the fact that hes really quite a basic form you could really make the definition stand out.

I like Jon's idea of his soul being in the lantern, the sacred artifact could be that very soul too.

My only critique is that i can't see a visual link to him being an overlord, the bio alludes to it but there isn't an obvious visual characteristic that portrays it.

The power wards etched into him might convey more authority,I was going to do that to my first concept, glowing runes are always a good look [:P].

Saying that I like the idea that his power is subtle and unconfronting...until you mess with him that is.

He looks sad, lost and trapped with those hollow eyes. I wouldn't change them much, if at all.

I'd make them a feature.

Maybe the only change would be a very small, subtle glowing ball of light (modelled) set deep in his skull, like a glimmer of his soul that remains?

This guy has alot of potential, but alot of room to go wrong too, good personal challenge there man. [:)]
I know you'll do him justice.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 08/08/03 - 12:10 AM Permalink

Perhaps you can bend the rules a bit.

In the background, draw a huge mass of demons, or a big silhouette implying that there is a massive army behind him.

This is definitely a character that you'd have to see in action before you could really see his power. Alternatively, draw another concept with Hogosha in a palanquin being carried by big 'fuck-off' demons. The more fearsome they are, the more impressive he seems.

You don't have to model them, but perhaps the palanquin could be added. Simply draw them in or illustrate them in your money shot pic.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 12:34 AM Permalink

you can show his power in subtle ways, like the runes. The concept isn't voted on so why add to that.

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 08/08/03 - 12:51 AM Permalink

Good points guys. I'm going to try to convey his power without outside influences (additional characters or image elements). His pose will need to be very deliberate...

Having said that, i'm also trying hard to ensure he looks cool if you don't know his story.

Malus, you probably wont be surprised to learn that i started with the eyes; the rest of the concept came later.

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Sun, 24/08/03 - 2:27 AM Permalink

Hey Daniel,
Guess Who? It looks really good and I like the bio. Man you have improved alot since I last saw you. Last week I started modelling a demon creature and I posted it on Cgtalk. I got told about this comp and I think I'll enter it there seems to be great competition here.
I'm looking forward to see it complete.

later dude.[:D]

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 25/08/03 - 12:48 AM Permalink

WHOA! Hows it going Ari?

Thanks man. The hardest part is trying to find time to work on the model :( ... work is pretty time consuming at the moment.

You'll have to drop me an email (which i wont be able to read until monday...). We'll have to catch up.

Submitted by ScORCHo on Tue, 02/09/03 - 10:02 PM Permalink

OI!! hey look is Ari and Dan..How you guys goin? looks good smeg..I like the shading style.

if you forget..its Joel, your fellow student from that really "AWEsome" place...started with Q. ;)

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 03/09/03 - 1:32 AM Permalink

god, its like a reunion or something.

Howdy scorch!

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 11/09/03 - 8:33 AM Permalink

Damn, it has taken too long for me to get around to this.

This is the first real 3d i've done in a year. It also the first time I've used editable poly (very nice) because spline modelling sucks so bad.

[img]http://thevogts.customer.netspace.net.au/hogosha_wip.jpg[/img]
(sorry about the size of the image)

i'm just (EDIT) around 3.6k *damnit* (/EDIT) triangles atm. and obviously still has a way to go. As you can see i can still smooth things out a bit here and there, and i intend to try and spread the triangle density around more evenly ... is that what the youngens call it nowadays?

So, what do'ya think??

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 11/09/03 - 9:46 AM Permalink

i have a history of getting this wrong, but it seems to look like a fair few more trinagles than 2000.... anyway, it is a nicly surface articulated model, though would be tempted to make some of the overhangs of cloth/flesh a bit bigger... would the belt need to be bigger, or are you trying to dramaticise the different masses by having a tiny belt....

DSC

Submitted by 5 Lives Studios on Thu, 11/09/03 - 9:52 AM Permalink

Could it be counting quads than tris?

It does look like theres more than around 2k

Other than that the models lookin very nice

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 11/09/03 - 10:42 AM Permalink

groan. i suddenly dislike the polygon counter tool. whats a more reliable option?

Yes, way over. not to worry. easily fixed (mostly in the head).

thanks guys. =D

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 11/09/03 - 10:47 AM Permalink

Just convert to editable mesh (rather then poly) and use the poly counter, then undo after you have had a look.

Pantmonger

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 11/09/03 - 10:48 AM Permalink

ah. intuitive =D

thanks pants

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 13/09/03 - 3:58 AM Permalink

looks good....

.....but

quote:TOPIC:
Fantasy/medieval demonic darklord, the big bad guy/girl.(no sci fi)

Submitted by inglis (not verified) on Sat, 13/09/03 - 4:11 AM Permalink

I think this character resembles more of the panda brewmaster in warcraft 3 than the tonberry, The panda doesn't look that toughis slow moving but can absolutely kick your butt given the chance. I like the concept plus the idea of runes etches even more. I think it will really add to the overall sense of it.

Submitted by inglis (not verified) on Sat, 13/09/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

Not quite sure which version of max you are using, but a lil trick i've picked up is when modelling with polys and quads, use a turn to poly modifier on it and set the limit to 3 polys. Easy convert to triangles, and back again to quads[8D]

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 13/09/03 - 4:56 AM Permalink

the brewmaster is a gimicky character put in because its a running joke in blizzards concept art.
it makes beer explosions lol. i wouldnt call it an evil demonic darklord.

my opinion is he looks like a friendly giant and not what i would call a "demonic darklord". it wouldnt take much to 'evil' him up :)

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 13/09/03 - 5:31 AM Permalink

thanks inglis. I do have plans to evil him up, i've got some aces up my sleeve, i'm just not sure exactly how i'm going to do it. =D

icespike - hmm, i'll have to try that. Thanks.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 14/09/03 - 1:53 AM Permalink

quote:

Earlier on in the thread, Smeg established the backstory. The key to this character was to show power and influence in subtle non-generic ways.

quote:To cut a long story short, I did my best to create a character that isn?t evil by nature, but has the means and motivation to become a powerful adversary.

... was what he said. I think it should stay that way -- it could affect how ambitious or oblique future entries are from other contestants if people are too afraid to deviate or try new angles on design briefs.

*insert opinion disclaimer here*

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 14/09/03 - 11:06 PM Permalink

I agree he doesnt seem to tough, more like a yummy pink marshmallow....with a face like a butt.