Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #9 - benny_s

Submitted by benny s on

I'm in for now, I'll be doing it in spare time at work. I'm going to do Icarus if thats possible, if not I'll post what I get done anyway.benny_s2007-07-05 20:34:05

Submitted by benny s on Mon, 09/07/07 - 2:33 AM Permalink

My concept and mesh so far

awesome, I cant upload imagesbenny_s2007-07-08 16:47:43

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 09/07/07 - 3:38 AM Permalink

YO! benny, you can upload your pics at imagehost or photo bucket. I use imagehost, once you upload, it spits out a url link to your image, then you can click the insert image button and insert your url. Good luck.Killa Dee2007-07-08 17:41:49

Submitted by benny s on Mon, 09/07/07 - 3:51 AM Permalink

Thanks for the help Killabenny_s2007-07-08 17:52:31

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 09/07/07 - 12:28 PM Permalink

No problamos benny! nice concept and a solid start on the modeling great stuff. I remember your entry from last year it was awesome, a tad unlucky you couldn't submit it but it looks like your on track to make up for it. Keep up the great work.    

Submitted by panthr on Fri, 13/07/07 - 2:27 AM Permalink

ohh i love this! Only cos i have this idea in my head of a guy with wings thats on my modeling "to do list" hehe. Looking forward to this one for shizzle :)

P

Submitted by benny s on Tue, 07/08/07 - 9:18 AM Permalink

Just posting an update. I haven't got much done, not a lot of spare time at work. We have Mudbox now so I've been playing with that, when i finish this base mesh I'll take in there and give some off you z brushers a run

Submitted by Rosco on Tue, 07/08/07 - 7:14 PM Permalink

Looking nice Ben. I like the head though I think the front of his neck might be dipping into the top of his chest to quickly, though your reference images might differ, so thats cool.

Any reason why you are modeling him posed instead of prone for rigging?

Submitted by benny s on Wed, 08/08/07 - 2:37 AM Permalink

Thanks Rosco, the neck is a bit dodge there I'll have to smooth it out

As for modeling posed I dont know if i want to rig it yet and its more of a challenge to get the muscle flow right when he is posed up.

Thats really what were all here for, the challenge and to improve our skills.

Submitted by Rosco on Wed, 08/08/07 - 4:11 AM Permalink

too true benny, too true

Submitted by souri on Mon, 13/08/07 - 4:59 PM Permalink

I gotta say, brilliant work on the muscles and the head.. beautiful work. Can't wait to see how this entry progresses.

Submitted by benny s on Tue, 14/08/07 - 2:30 AM Permalink

Thanks Souri, a comment like that from you is really appreciated with all the work you've seen.

Muscles are really my thing and getting the flow right is something I'm pretty proud of.

Hopefully I'll continue to impress

Submitted by benny s on Tue, 21/08/07 - 4:40 AM Permalink

Just a quick update,

Thought I'd show some progression shots for anyone interested in my technique

[/IMG]

Submitted by Killa Dee on Tue, 21/08/07 - 6:42 AM Permalink

sweet, this is coming along really well. Great work

Submitted by shika on Sat, 25/08/07 - 8:09 PM Permalink

SubD poly modelling is soooOOoooOoo 2004 :)

but seriously, get aquainted with mudbox or zbrush, and start with a base mesh WAY more simple than what you've got.

It doesnt have to be any more complicated than this

Infact, the more simple the base mesh the better, as it will allow you to more easily fix up any proportion issues further down the track.

Once you've got a super cool sculpt, take it out of zbrush or mudbox and retopo the heck out of it. You can come out the end with an Animation ready SubD mesh(like what you're working on here) 5x faster and looking even better because the process is more fluid and organic. You wont be thinking about technical crap like how to quad your mesh for deformation/smoothing till AFTER you've got an awesome piece of work - technical thinking and creativity dont mix at all!

just some food for thought :)

I dig what you've got so far, his head and neck look great!

Submitted by Shadowbreeze on Mon, 27/08/07 - 6:42 AM Permalink

awesome work, but geez it must take you awhile to do.

looking forward to seeing what else you so with this

Posted by benny s on

I'm in for now, I'll be doing it in spare time at work. I'm going to do Icarus if thats possible, if not I'll post what I get done anyway.benny_s2007-07-05 20:34:05

Submitted by benny s on Mon, 09/07/07 - 2:33 AM Permalink

My concept and mesh so far

awesome, I cant upload imagesbenny_s2007-07-08 16:47:43

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 09/07/07 - 3:38 AM Permalink

YO! benny, you can upload your pics at imagehost or photo bucket. I use imagehost, once you upload, it spits out a url link to your image, then you can click the insert image button and insert your url. Good luck.Killa Dee2007-07-08 17:41:49

Submitted by benny s on Mon, 09/07/07 - 3:51 AM Permalink

Thanks for the help Killabenny_s2007-07-08 17:52:31

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 09/07/07 - 12:28 PM Permalink

No problamos benny! nice concept and a solid start on the modeling great stuff. I remember your entry from last year it was awesome, a tad unlucky you couldn't submit it but it looks like your on track to make up for it. Keep up the great work.    

Submitted by panthr on Fri, 13/07/07 - 2:27 AM Permalink

ohh i love this! Only cos i have this idea in my head of a guy with wings thats on my modeling "to do list" hehe. Looking forward to this one for shizzle :)

P

Submitted by benny s on Tue, 07/08/07 - 9:18 AM Permalink

Just posting an update. I haven't got much done, not a lot of spare time at work. We have Mudbox now so I've been playing with that, when i finish this base mesh I'll take in there and give some off you z brushers a run

Submitted by Rosco on Tue, 07/08/07 - 7:14 PM Permalink

Looking nice Ben. I like the head though I think the front of his neck might be dipping into the top of his chest to quickly, though your reference images might differ, so thats cool.

Any reason why you are modeling him posed instead of prone for rigging?

Submitted by benny s on Wed, 08/08/07 - 2:37 AM Permalink

Thanks Rosco, the neck is a bit dodge there I'll have to smooth it out

As for modeling posed I dont know if i want to rig it yet and its more of a challenge to get the muscle flow right when he is posed up.

Thats really what were all here for, the challenge and to improve our skills.

Submitted by Rosco on Wed, 08/08/07 - 4:11 AM Permalink

too true benny, too true

Submitted by souri on Mon, 13/08/07 - 4:59 PM Permalink

I gotta say, brilliant work on the muscles and the head.. beautiful work. Can't wait to see how this entry progresses.

Submitted by benny s on Tue, 14/08/07 - 2:30 AM Permalink

Thanks Souri, a comment like that from you is really appreciated with all the work you've seen.

Muscles are really my thing and getting the flow right is something I'm pretty proud of.

Hopefully I'll continue to impress

Submitted by benny s on Tue, 21/08/07 - 4:40 AM Permalink

Just a quick update,

Thought I'd show some progression shots for anyone interested in my technique

[/IMG]

Submitted by Killa Dee on Tue, 21/08/07 - 6:42 AM Permalink

sweet, this is coming along really well. Great work

Submitted by shika on Sat, 25/08/07 - 8:09 PM Permalink

SubD poly modelling is soooOOoooOoo 2004 :)

but seriously, get aquainted with mudbox or zbrush, and start with a base mesh WAY more simple than what you've got.

It doesnt have to be any more complicated than this

Infact, the more simple the base mesh the better, as it will allow you to more easily fix up any proportion issues further down the track.

Once you've got a super cool sculpt, take it out of zbrush or mudbox and retopo the heck out of it. You can come out the end with an Animation ready SubD mesh(like what you're working on here) 5x faster and looking even better because the process is more fluid and organic. You wont be thinking about technical crap like how to quad your mesh for deformation/smoothing till AFTER you've got an awesome piece of work - technical thinking and creativity dont mix at all!

just some food for thought :)

I dig what you've got so far, his head and neck look great!

Submitted by Shadowbreeze on Mon, 27/08/07 - 6:42 AM Permalink

awesome work, but geez it must take you awhile to do.

looking forward to seeing what else you so with this