Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #8 - johnn

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

here is progress so far for me - on the left are 4 of the 6 sketches that i initially did after reading the comp brief. On the right is the second evenings revisit of what I think might be the better 2 ideas. I was hoping a more emotive painting of each would seperate a clear winner for me but I'm still indecided...

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/20066510426_challenge8_con…"]challenge8_concepts1.jpg[/url]
89.52 KB

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 06/06/06 - 11:55 PM Permalink

Yeah, the wraps one is tops, but I also really like the pose of the red costumed chick with the sword. Nice perspective and foreshortening on the red costumed character.

To me, this is the first entry that's really stood out and said 'fighter character'. The poses are cool and she looks like she knows how to handle herself.

Submitted by PeterDavis on Wed, 07/06/06 - 1:41 AM Permalink

go with the wraps. sticks can really hurt when you know how to use them.

Submitted by caseyjones on Fri, 09/06/06 - 9:54 PM Permalink

Yeah the wraps girl is the go, she has this sort of hotness to her!
Really nice posing too with your concepts, wish I could do that. All my concepts are front one in an idle pose. Do you reference for poses or are you one of those people that just draw well? TIPS! WE ALL WANT TIPS!

-caseyjones

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 11/06/06 - 5:21 AM Permalink

Wahoo, glad the feedback has been for the stick-fighting teen! I have been leaning towards her, but thought the other might be more on the money regarding the competition brief.

These are the latest development sketches. Think I have sorted out a face for my gal :) and have done a warrior princess version of her too, although I'm not sure if it is an improvement upon the previous costume.

link: http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/20066103528_challenge8_con…

Casey, I would like to think I have become 'one of those people' through lots of practice, and I still work hard at refining my basic drawing skills. BUT when it comes to fast visualisation and researching viusual details for more involved works, nothing beats some reference of the photographic kind - so I use photo reference too.

I should stress that I never let the reference control the work. I always have a strong plan (often already sketched out) of what I want and the reference usually only helps in some supporting way of details. It also is quite common that I can find no directily relevant pics (such as girls posing with fighting sticks)so I do alot of modify/chop and changing and inventing out of my head to get to the goal.

As an example the image below is what I had for reference of the stick fighting teen pose. As you can see not much in common if you were planning to draw directily from it. I liked the strength, power and stability of 'Karate Girl' but wanted to have a character that was more agile with some teen mischief/energy in her. So I guess the reference was partly a sample of what I didn't want and was equally helpful in aiding me with details like exactily how far apart and the angle her legs should be set at.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200661044942_karate_girl.j…"]karate_girl.jpg[/url]
39.18 KB

...and for the faces in this post my reference included downloading details like individual asian eyes - I just didn't know exactily what features make and an asian eye asian looking! how else am I going to findout? ...stare at asian girls at my local pub?

!

... excuse me, Im off to my local pub.

Submitted by WhiteEagle on Sun, 11/06/06 - 6:31 AM Permalink

Very nice concepts dude. The chopsticks through the hat and the armored sandals are a nice touch. The only thing I can think of suggesting is some kind of blade on her weapon to make it seem more menacing. Maybe something like these kama sickles:

[img]http://www.okinawankarateclub.com/images/weapons/kama_demo.jpg[/img]

They look pretty badass to me, that's my two cents anyway. Good job man, keep it up.[;)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 11/06/06 - 7:53 AM Permalink

Liking the blue version vs the red in the latest post. The blue seems so much more self sufficient, she sort pulled together her fighting gear from rag raps and common clothing and theres a greater feel of determination to be a great fighter. Red looks more like someone of a higher class learning to become one, cant really tell you why all of this is there. its a gut thing :P I can also understand eagles comments about wanting to put a blade on there but thats a bit of a catch 22 that you dont want lose the feel that she may not have proper training resources to work with but is determined anyway. Sicles and the like might actualy be good for that because it could easily be a farming impliment. Hope some of that made sense, its hard to put into words a feeling and aesthetic sometimes.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 15/06/06 - 10:24 PM Permalink

Really like the updates - I'm very much a fan of the red concept. She seems very capable and like MoonUnit says, she looks like someone of an upper class. I think it accentuates the beauty of the fighter without making her overtly sexual. I think the skirt provides more freedom of movement which I imagine would be handy in a fighter character.

I really like this concept because the detail is in the right places. The wraps/halterneck top is simple but the details are excellent on the dress trim, hat trim and the foot protector. The sketch of the footguard looks excellent as well.

One suggestion - stay away from giving her sais/jutte (jitte?) if you go with the red colour scheme as she'll lose a bit of uniqueness and start to look a bit like Elektra.

Looking forward to the model.

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 25/06/06 - 5:34 AM Permalink

next update(s) - rather than rush into the model I thought I would explore and refine the concept properly (procrastiate). I committed to the design with shorts (I think the other one was equally good but didn't convey the same streetwise/girl-power attitude the initial sketch of this character had) and started to explore variation of her outfit. for a while I was looking to include a a highlight colour and street cred with a bandana, but the faux cammo patchwork pants seemed a more enticing alternative. I couldn't decided which hat was working best until I did the front/back painting and painted a few on (sorry painted over each one, so no alternatives to show).

Currently undecided about the hair - initially thought of a long plat and now thinking hair up in the hat, probably because I don't want to obscure other details on her - not a great reason really...

thinking about a tatoo on her back... but it might take away some girlishness (that I want to keep to some extent)

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200662445549_challenge8_co…"]challenge8_concepts3.jpg[/url]
95.36 KB

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200662445659_challenge8_co…"]challenge8_concepts4.jpg[/url]
84.45 KB

Submitted by Neffy on Sun, 25/06/06 - 7:00 AM Permalink

i wouldnt worry about losing girlishness with a tatoo. It would depend alot on the design, i think a small tatoo would look nice something oriental :)

Submitted by Savarn on Sun, 16/07/06 - 10:27 PM Permalink

That's some really nice concept art ... *quickly gets back on with his drawing*

Submitted by Scrow on Thu, 10/08/06 - 7:07 AM Permalink

i dunno if it's just me or not, but her posture seems odd from the side view. bum is sticking out and she's really pushing her chest out.

Submitted by Neffy on Fri, 11/08/06 - 9:24 AM Permalink

Its comming along nicely, i agree with scrow tho i think the body isnt too bad maybe move her head back so the neck isnt so over streatched !

Posted by Johnn on

here is progress so far for me - on the left are 4 of the 6 sketches that i initially did after reading the comp brief. On the right is the second evenings revisit of what I think might be the better 2 ideas. I was hoping a more emotive painting of each would seperate a clear winner for me but I'm still indecided...

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/20066510426_challenge8_con…"]challenge8_concepts1.jpg[/url]
89.52 KB

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 06/06/06 - 11:55 PM Permalink

Yeah, the wraps one is tops, but I also really like the pose of the red costumed chick with the sword. Nice perspective and foreshortening on the red costumed character.

To me, this is the first entry that's really stood out and said 'fighter character'. The poses are cool and she looks like she knows how to handle herself.

Submitted by PeterDavis on Wed, 07/06/06 - 1:41 AM Permalink

go with the wraps. sticks can really hurt when you know how to use them.

Submitted by caseyjones on Fri, 09/06/06 - 9:54 PM Permalink

Yeah the wraps girl is the go, she has this sort of hotness to her!
Really nice posing too with your concepts, wish I could do that. All my concepts are front one in an idle pose. Do you reference for poses or are you one of those people that just draw well? TIPS! WE ALL WANT TIPS!

-caseyjones

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 11/06/06 - 5:21 AM Permalink

Wahoo, glad the feedback has been for the stick-fighting teen! I have been leaning towards her, but thought the other might be more on the money regarding the competition brief.

These are the latest development sketches. Think I have sorted out a face for my gal :) and have done a warrior princess version of her too, although I'm not sure if it is an improvement upon the previous costume.

link: http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/20066103528_challenge8_con…

Casey, I would like to think I have become 'one of those people' through lots of practice, and I still work hard at refining my basic drawing skills. BUT when it comes to fast visualisation and researching viusual details for more involved works, nothing beats some reference of the photographic kind - so I use photo reference too.

I should stress that I never let the reference control the work. I always have a strong plan (often already sketched out) of what I want and the reference usually only helps in some supporting way of details. It also is quite common that I can find no directily relevant pics (such as girls posing with fighting sticks)so I do alot of modify/chop and changing and inventing out of my head to get to the goal.

As an example the image below is what I had for reference of the stick fighting teen pose. As you can see not much in common if you were planning to draw directily from it. I liked the strength, power and stability of 'Karate Girl' but wanted to have a character that was more agile with some teen mischief/energy in her. So I guess the reference was partly a sample of what I didn't want and was equally helpful in aiding me with details like exactily how far apart and the angle her legs should be set at.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200661044942_karate_girl.j…"]karate_girl.jpg[/url]
39.18 KB

...and for the faces in this post my reference included downloading details like individual asian eyes - I just didn't know exactily what features make and an asian eye asian looking! how else am I going to findout? ...stare at asian girls at my local pub?

!

... excuse me, Im off to my local pub.

Submitted by WhiteEagle on Sun, 11/06/06 - 6:31 AM Permalink

Very nice concepts dude. The chopsticks through the hat and the armored sandals are a nice touch. The only thing I can think of suggesting is some kind of blade on her weapon to make it seem more menacing. Maybe something like these kama sickles:

[img]http://www.okinawankarateclub.com/images/weapons/kama_demo.jpg[/img]

They look pretty badass to me, that's my two cents anyway. Good job man, keep it up.[;)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 11/06/06 - 7:53 AM Permalink

Liking the blue version vs the red in the latest post. The blue seems so much more self sufficient, she sort pulled together her fighting gear from rag raps and common clothing and theres a greater feel of determination to be a great fighter. Red looks more like someone of a higher class learning to become one, cant really tell you why all of this is there. its a gut thing :P I can also understand eagles comments about wanting to put a blade on there but thats a bit of a catch 22 that you dont want lose the feel that she may not have proper training resources to work with but is determined anyway. Sicles and the like might actualy be good for that because it could easily be a farming impliment. Hope some of that made sense, its hard to put into words a feeling and aesthetic sometimes.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 15/06/06 - 10:24 PM Permalink

Really like the updates - I'm very much a fan of the red concept. She seems very capable and like MoonUnit says, she looks like someone of an upper class. I think it accentuates the beauty of the fighter without making her overtly sexual. I think the skirt provides more freedom of movement which I imagine would be handy in a fighter character.

I really like this concept because the detail is in the right places. The wraps/halterneck top is simple but the details are excellent on the dress trim, hat trim and the foot protector. The sketch of the footguard looks excellent as well.

One suggestion - stay away from giving her sais/jutte (jitte?) if you go with the red colour scheme as she'll lose a bit of uniqueness and start to look a bit like Elektra.

Looking forward to the model.

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 25/06/06 - 5:34 AM Permalink

next update(s) - rather than rush into the model I thought I would explore and refine the concept properly (procrastiate). I committed to the design with shorts (I think the other one was equally good but didn't convey the same streetwise/girl-power attitude the initial sketch of this character had) and started to explore variation of her outfit. for a while I was looking to include a a highlight colour and street cred with a bandana, but the faux cammo patchwork pants seemed a more enticing alternative. I couldn't decided which hat was working best until I did the front/back painting and painted a few on (sorry painted over each one, so no alternatives to show).

Currently undecided about the hair - initially thought of a long plat and now thinking hair up in the hat, probably because I don't want to obscure other details on her - not a great reason really...

thinking about a tatoo on her back... but it might take away some girlishness (that I want to keep to some extent)

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200662445549_challenge8_co…"]challenge8_concepts3.jpg[/url]
95.36 KB

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200662445659_challenge8_co…"]challenge8_concepts4.jpg[/url]
84.45 KB

Submitted by Neffy on Sun, 25/06/06 - 7:00 AM Permalink

i wouldnt worry about losing girlishness with a tatoo. It would depend alot on the design, i think a small tatoo would look nice something oriental :)

Submitted by Savarn on Sun, 16/07/06 - 10:27 PM Permalink

That's some really nice concept art ... *quickly gets back on with his drawing*

Submitted by Scrow on Thu, 10/08/06 - 7:07 AM Permalink

i dunno if it's just me or not, but her posture seems odd from the side view. bum is sticking out and she's really pushing her chest out.

Submitted by Neffy on Fri, 11/08/06 - 9:24 AM Permalink

Its comming along nicely, i agree with scrow tho i think the body isnt too bad maybe move her head back so the neck isnt so over streatched !