Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #5 -3D- xEmilx

Submitted by xEmilx on

It's taken me a while to come up with a solid concept, but im still not sure if this is such a good one. Im going for a samurai as the hero, and a ninja as the sidekick/companion. The little ninja can evolve into a cool half ninja/half samurai or an even cooler evil third ninja/third samurai/third demon.

It will have a very Dragonball Z look to the characters. As for the 6-12 age thing... hmmm, not sure if it will exactly fit into that age group.

One final thing, before i go ahead and submit some proper concept images, since guns and projectile weapons are not allowed, are swords/knives not allowed as well? Whats a ninja without his katana?

Here is a quick sketch i did, this will be the second evolutionary state of the good ninja/samurai:
[img]http://users.tpg.com.au/adsldcki/sumea/modchal5/g_evo01.jpg[/img]

Suggestions/Comments are welcome.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 06/02/04 - 1:51 PM Permalink

It'll fit in just fine - kids today are smarter than we think. Read the brief - the answers are all in there (regarding guns etc - be creative in order to get around restrictions).

Submitted by hobonation on Fri, 06/02/04 - 10:43 PM Permalink

hey thats cool. maybe to fit in with the age group, you could go for a more chibi manga look?

Submitted by xEmilx on Sat, 07/02/04 - 1:00 AM Permalink

Okay, I've been working overtime on this, trying to refine my concept and its going quite well. Thanks to hobonation for suggesting the chibi manga style, ive done a few quick sketches in my notebook and found that it works better and could be more appealing to the 6-12 age group.

We've been told to think outside the square, so i happened to drift a few kilometers south of it and came up with an idea to use a sword (hopefully its a valid idea - id like to thank Jonathan for getting me to think about this).
Well in his initial evolutionary state, the ninja carries with him a small sword (still working on a name for it), which was used in ancient times to give samurai's supreme power in battle. This sword is what makes the evolution of the ninja possible.

example: blue/red pill are useless if taken on their own, but if you carry a sword of evolution, the blue/red pill enduce a state of meditation to draw power from the sword and evolve into a stronger more powerful character.

Also, as the ninja evolves into either is good or evil state, the sword too evolves into a good (sword of light) or evil (sword of darkness) state.

Let me know what you think of the idea, or if this is against the rules of the breif.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 07/02/04 - 2:06 AM Permalink

That seems fine to me. Will the sword evolve as well? It's a good twist on the brief. What do others think?

Submitted by hobonation on Sat, 07/02/04 - 3:08 AM Permalink

sounds cool. I think that could make it more interesting. can a 'light' character have a 'dark' sword?

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 07/02/04 - 3:22 AM Permalink

Cool idea so far. But if you are making him a Samurai, perhaps you should break the cliche of having a Katana, and give him a Naginata. This also allows for a bit more design freedom when evolving the weapon.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 08/02/04 - 1:19 AM Permalink

i like the idea of giving it a more "chibi" look for the whole kids audience if thats what ur after

if you want more of DBZ thing then your on the right track :) well done

Submitted by xEmilx on Mon, 16/02/04 - 8:15 AM Permalink

Well, its been a while since I updated this. Ive done heaps of sketching and concept art for this comp, but I've just started school again and I don't have the time to finish them all to upload.
I will most likely will be withdrawing from the competition, but I will be following the comp to see how it ends.
Thanks to everyone that has commented or given me suggestions and good luck to everyone.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 16/02/04 - 8:27 AM Permalink

Sorry to hear that xEmilx, hope to see you in the next one.

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 16/02/04 - 7:12 PM Permalink

Yeah, school sucks arse, I don't even have time to practice my shit any more it's either school or work. I'm in year 11, if your not enjoy school mate, it sux arse even morein VCE.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 16/02/04 - 9:00 PM Permalink

awww pity man, oh well maybe you can pick it up again when u have more time and show us in the exhibition board

Submitted by xEmilx on Tue, 17/02/04 - 6:39 AM Permalink

Only in year 11 bullet? I finished that years ago doode! Wait til you get to year 12. I just started 2nd year of the AIE course, just opened in Melbourne. Didn't do the first year, and I've never used 3DS MAX before, so i have to work 10 times as hard as anyone else.

Hopefully I get everything under control and I may show the remaining concept images and WIP models.

Posted by xEmilx on

It's taken me a while to come up with a solid concept, but im still not sure if this is such a good one. Im going for a samurai as the hero, and a ninja as the sidekick/companion. The little ninja can evolve into a cool half ninja/half samurai or an even cooler evil third ninja/third samurai/third demon.

It will have a very Dragonball Z look to the characters. As for the 6-12 age thing... hmmm, not sure if it will exactly fit into that age group.

One final thing, before i go ahead and submit some proper concept images, since guns and projectile weapons are not allowed, are swords/knives not allowed as well? Whats a ninja without his katana?

Here is a quick sketch i did, this will be the second evolutionary state of the good ninja/samurai:
[img]http://users.tpg.com.au/adsldcki/sumea/modchal5/g_evo01.jpg[/img]

Suggestions/Comments are welcome.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 06/02/04 - 1:51 PM Permalink

It'll fit in just fine - kids today are smarter than we think. Read the brief - the answers are all in there (regarding guns etc - be creative in order to get around restrictions).

Submitted by hobonation on Fri, 06/02/04 - 10:43 PM Permalink

hey thats cool. maybe to fit in with the age group, you could go for a more chibi manga look?

Submitted by xEmilx on Sat, 07/02/04 - 1:00 AM Permalink

Okay, I've been working overtime on this, trying to refine my concept and its going quite well. Thanks to hobonation for suggesting the chibi manga style, ive done a few quick sketches in my notebook and found that it works better and could be more appealing to the 6-12 age group.

We've been told to think outside the square, so i happened to drift a few kilometers south of it and came up with an idea to use a sword (hopefully its a valid idea - id like to thank Jonathan for getting me to think about this).
Well in his initial evolutionary state, the ninja carries with him a small sword (still working on a name for it), which was used in ancient times to give samurai's supreme power in battle. This sword is what makes the evolution of the ninja possible.

example: blue/red pill are useless if taken on their own, but if you carry a sword of evolution, the blue/red pill enduce a state of meditation to draw power from the sword and evolve into a stronger more powerful character.

Also, as the ninja evolves into either is good or evil state, the sword too evolves into a good (sword of light) or evil (sword of darkness) state.

Let me know what you think of the idea, or if this is against the rules of the breif.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 07/02/04 - 2:06 AM Permalink

That seems fine to me. Will the sword evolve as well? It's a good twist on the brief. What do others think?

Submitted by hobonation on Sat, 07/02/04 - 3:08 AM Permalink

sounds cool. I think that could make it more interesting. can a 'light' character have a 'dark' sword?

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 07/02/04 - 3:22 AM Permalink

Cool idea so far. But if you are making him a Samurai, perhaps you should break the cliche of having a Katana, and give him a Naginata. This also allows for a bit more design freedom when evolving the weapon.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 08/02/04 - 1:19 AM Permalink

i like the idea of giving it a more "chibi" look for the whole kids audience if thats what ur after

if you want more of DBZ thing then your on the right track :) well done

Submitted by xEmilx on Mon, 16/02/04 - 8:15 AM Permalink

Well, its been a while since I updated this. Ive done heaps of sketching and concept art for this comp, but I've just started school again and I don't have the time to finish them all to upload.
I will most likely will be withdrawing from the competition, but I will be following the comp to see how it ends.
Thanks to everyone that has commented or given me suggestions and good luck to everyone.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 16/02/04 - 8:27 AM Permalink

Sorry to hear that xEmilx, hope to see you in the next one.

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 16/02/04 - 7:12 PM Permalink

Yeah, school sucks arse, I don't even have time to practice my shit any more it's either school or work. I'm in year 11, if your not enjoy school mate, it sux arse even morein VCE.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 16/02/04 - 9:00 PM Permalink

awww pity man, oh well maybe you can pick it up again when u have more time and show us in the exhibition board

Submitted by xEmilx on Tue, 17/02/04 - 6:39 AM Permalink

Only in year 11 bullet? I finished that years ago doode! Wait til you get to year 12. I just started 2nd year of the AIE course, just opened in Melbourne. Didn't do the first year, and I've never used 3DS MAX before, so i have to work 10 times as hard as anyone else.

Hopefully I get everything under control and I may show the remaining concept images and WIP models.