Skip to main content

The Villain - Highpoly Challenge #1 - Lachlan I

Submitted by inglis on

im in for sure...havent decided on a concept yet...

Submitted by inglis on Mon, 06/10/03 - 4:51 AM Permalink

im making a little rapscallion gollum sized (not so skinny) character. started modelling.
fantasy ofcourse.

well, thats what i have planned. by then end he may very well be quite different.

ill get some pics and concept art up soon....

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 6:24 AM Permalink

[update]

here is my progress so far. so much for the original idea of a skinny gollum sized creature.......
* the colour map is just proceedural. makes it a little more interesting to work with that just a grey blinn texture.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 6:28 AM Permalink

i do have a little sketch of what im going for but dont have a scanner here..ill get it up when i can.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 07/10/03 - 7:52 AM Permalink

Interesting anatomy there...me waits to see more.
oh, do you use Max or Maya?

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 7:55 AM Permalink

max

what do u mean interesting anatomy? something really odd?

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:02 AM Permalink

Well, his neck muscles are quite large compared to the other areas, but since I cant see the rest of the character it may look fine.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:20 AM Permalink

yeah the neck, it should all come into place when i put a head on there.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:04 PM Permalink

looking nice man!!! the guy is gonna be a tank with a neck like that.
'spose he could get a job as a bouncer... Then there is a high possibility he could run into Mr.McKeg! hehehe

Submitted by Ionized on Fri, 17/10/03 - 12:16 AM Permalink

Cool looking torso man, I think it's coming along great. I agree that the neck muscles are very large. Also the back muscles seem very large too. It might all make sense when you stick a head on it though, so I'll reserve judgement.

Just like to say your modelling style rocks! If you don't mind, what method of modelling do you use, and what package are you using? Also, are you using displacement maps for the finer details?

Thanks

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 17/10/03 - 12:37 AM Permalink

I too would be interested to know how you have achieved such fine detail on his/her skin. Displacement, bump, or (hail or lord and master), actual polys? I dont see any point passing comment on the neck as you dont even have a head on there yet. There really isnt too much point making the neck perfect if you have nothing to connect it to. Going by the pic so far, Im sure that it will look very cool.

Submitted by inglis on Mon, 20/10/03 - 3:55 AM Permalink

i have modelled the lowerbody now (including feet), will get some images up soon.
ive wipped off most the neck and am going to build a new one, the head i made doesnt suit. the neck would have worked if he had a big fat cavetroll like build. so i will be making anoter head, the first head i made i am happy with and will be using it in my demoreel anyway so its not a complete waste.
no hands yet.

on another note i am back working on my orc as well. i have managed to find a save that isnt too far back that isnt corrupt.
just have to uvwmap it again. so im just detailing that mesh and creating armour at the moment as well.

so i have this villain, orc and that beastie currently in the works...and a few other things i havent shown you guys.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 20/10/03 - 7:03 AM Permalink

looking forward to seeing updated pics. as well as the other projects you currently have going.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 28/10/03 - 9:08 AM Permalink

Although youve stated that your going to remake the neck,.. i reckon that neck would go well with a young minotaurs head or something with a massive heavy skull.

post some updates !!! your work is unreal!!

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 28/10/03 - 9:14 AM Permalink

thanks hazard.
sorry i havent posted any updates ive been working on a different model for the past week and a bit and havent opened it up to render some out.

where the hell is everyone elses progress...come on guys.
lot of people seemed keen - i hope you all come out of the woodwood before the end :)

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 11/11/03 - 2:26 AM Permalink

inglis that is freakin awesome !!!! nice use of displacement mapping and bump mapping!!! cant wait to see the whole proportion of the character.

nice work as usual [:D]

chris..

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 11/11/03 - 2:58 AM Permalink

WOW. Very nice. The only fault I can see may not even be a fault. In that pic, the inside if his knees seems to have a little pointy bit. It may just be in the shadows and angle though.

Beautiful otherwise.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 11/11/03 - 3:16 AM Permalink

thanks guys-

aven: i just checked that out and it was a vein displacement causing that. just fixed it so the vein now runs down the inside of the knee. i replaced the image with the changes.

Submitted by Ionized on Tue, 11/11/03 - 10:44 PM Permalink

Looks great. Very nice modelling Inglis. The legs are great and I love the vein work you've done. The calves especially look very convincing.

Something about the chest seems strange though. It does look awesome, but perhaps the muscles seem a bit taught. They seems like he is in mid flex, but then again, it will probably make more sense when you pose him.

Anyway, good job.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 13/11/03 - 12:10 AM Permalink

looking great Inglis. I would agree with Ionized that the chest muscles are a little bit too flexed.
looking forward to the finish.
oh and will you be rendering it colour with a diffuse map or whatever they are called?

Submitted by bouncy roo on Sat, 29/11/03 - 12:12 PM Permalink

dude that mole near his belly button is exactly the same place mine is..... *freaky* although my friends used to call it cindy cos she was a model and she had one on her lip so we'd joke about mine being cindy mole.

looking very nice though, i suggest a really soft (touchable) looking skin for it too offset how buff and taught he looks that way it'll give it a tough but real/skin soft feel to it. but that's my opinion do whatever u like :)

Posted by inglis on

im in for sure...havent decided on a concept yet...

Submitted by inglis on Mon, 06/10/03 - 4:51 AM Permalink

im making a little rapscallion gollum sized (not so skinny) character. started modelling.
fantasy ofcourse.

well, thats what i have planned. by then end he may very well be quite different.

ill get some pics and concept art up soon....

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 6:24 AM Permalink

[update]

here is my progress so far. so much for the original idea of a skinny gollum sized creature.......
* the colour map is just proceedural. makes it a little more interesting to work with that just a grey blinn texture.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 6:28 AM Permalink

i do have a little sketch of what im going for but dont have a scanner here..ill get it up when i can.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 07/10/03 - 7:52 AM Permalink

Interesting anatomy there...me waits to see more.
oh, do you use Max or Maya?

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 7:55 AM Permalink

max

what do u mean interesting anatomy? something really odd?

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:02 AM Permalink

Well, his neck muscles are quite large compared to the other areas, but since I cant see the rest of the character it may look fine.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:20 AM Permalink

yeah the neck, it should all come into place when i put a head on there.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:04 PM Permalink

looking nice man!!! the guy is gonna be a tank with a neck like that.
'spose he could get a job as a bouncer... Then there is a high possibility he could run into Mr.McKeg! hehehe

Submitted by Ionized on Fri, 17/10/03 - 12:16 AM Permalink

Cool looking torso man, I think it's coming along great. I agree that the neck muscles are very large. Also the back muscles seem very large too. It might all make sense when you stick a head on it though, so I'll reserve judgement.

Just like to say your modelling style rocks! If you don't mind, what method of modelling do you use, and what package are you using? Also, are you using displacement maps for the finer details?

Thanks

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 17/10/03 - 12:37 AM Permalink

I too would be interested to know how you have achieved such fine detail on his/her skin. Displacement, bump, or (hail or lord and master), actual polys? I dont see any point passing comment on the neck as you dont even have a head on there yet. There really isnt too much point making the neck perfect if you have nothing to connect it to. Going by the pic so far, Im sure that it will look very cool.

Submitted by inglis on Mon, 20/10/03 - 3:55 AM Permalink

i have modelled the lowerbody now (including feet), will get some images up soon.
ive wipped off most the neck and am going to build a new one, the head i made doesnt suit. the neck would have worked if he had a big fat cavetroll like build. so i will be making anoter head, the first head i made i am happy with and will be using it in my demoreel anyway so its not a complete waste.
no hands yet.

on another note i am back working on my orc as well. i have managed to find a save that isnt too far back that isnt corrupt.
just have to uvwmap it again. so im just detailing that mesh and creating armour at the moment as well.

so i have this villain, orc and that beastie currently in the works...and a few other things i havent shown you guys.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 20/10/03 - 7:03 AM Permalink

looking forward to seeing updated pics. as well as the other projects you currently have going.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 28/10/03 - 9:08 AM Permalink

Although youve stated that your going to remake the neck,.. i reckon that neck would go well with a young minotaurs head or something with a massive heavy skull.

post some updates !!! your work is unreal!!

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 28/10/03 - 9:14 AM Permalink

thanks hazard.
sorry i havent posted any updates ive been working on a different model for the past week and a bit and havent opened it up to render some out.

where the hell is everyone elses progress...come on guys.
lot of people seemed keen - i hope you all come out of the woodwood before the end :)

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 11/11/03 - 2:26 AM Permalink

inglis that is freakin awesome !!!! nice use of displacement mapping and bump mapping!!! cant wait to see the whole proportion of the character.

nice work as usual [:D]

chris..

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 11/11/03 - 2:58 AM Permalink

WOW. Very nice. The only fault I can see may not even be a fault. In that pic, the inside if his knees seems to have a little pointy bit. It may just be in the shadows and angle though.

Beautiful otherwise.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 11/11/03 - 3:16 AM Permalink

thanks guys-

aven: i just checked that out and it was a vein displacement causing that. just fixed it so the vein now runs down the inside of the knee. i replaced the image with the changes.

Submitted by Ionized on Tue, 11/11/03 - 10:44 PM Permalink

Looks great. Very nice modelling Inglis. The legs are great and I love the vein work you've done. The calves especially look very convincing.

Something about the chest seems strange though. It does look awesome, but perhaps the muscles seem a bit taught. They seems like he is in mid flex, but then again, it will probably make more sense when you pose him.

Anyway, good job.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 13/11/03 - 12:10 AM Permalink

looking great Inglis. I would agree with Ionized that the chest muscles are a little bit too flexed.
looking forward to the finish.
oh and will you be rendering it colour with a diffuse map or whatever they are called?

Submitted by bouncy roo on Sat, 29/11/03 - 12:12 PM Permalink

dude that mole near his belly button is exactly the same place mine is..... *freaky* although my friends used to call it cindy cos she was a model and she had one on her lip so we'd joke about mine being cindy mole.

looking very nice though, i suggest a really soft (touchable) looking skin for it too offset how buff and taught he looks that way it'll give it a tough but real/skin soft feel to it. but that's my opinion do whatever u like :)