Skip to main content

The Villain - Highpoly Challenge #1 - GUIDELINES

Submitted by inglis on

Subject: The Villain
Highpoly Modelling Competition Guidelines

Villains are beings of infamy, not always evil, but always in the belief that the ends justify the means.
In most cases, they stand against the good guys. Examples of historical villains include, Hitler, Stalin, Josef Mengele, pol pot.

For this challenge you must either create your own villain (any genre) or recreate one from history, real or fictional.

Guidelines:

• Must be a humanoid
  • Must be an original concept (unless you are recreating one from history, real or fictional.)
  • Character has to be asymmetrical
  • Character must have a prop
  • Bump/displacment maps are allowed throughout the process and in final submission. no other texture is required.
  • Character may be from any genre (fantasy, scifi, contemporary etc)
  • Character may be cartoon
  • Must show progress in the forum
  • Character must be posed in final render
  • You may use hair plugins for short hair, but long hair has to be modelled or opacity mapped.

Additional Notes:

• Provide some form of concept art, a doodle is fine.
  • Do not use models prior made to the start date. Start everything from scratch.
  • The challenge is modelling no texturing (beyond bump/displace if you choose to use it) is required.

Thread Syntax:

Use the following syntax when creating your challenge thread in the Sumea Modeller Challenge forum:

• The Villain - Highpoly Challenge #1 - (Your Name)

Final Submission must consist of:

• Wireframe orthographic views
  • Render of posed character
  • All images must be 800x600

End Date:
3rd December (8 weeks total)
This should be enough time for everyone to get it done. Its only modelling.
If there are laggers nearing the end we can always extend it a week or two.

With the open genre we should see many great variations on the topic.
Thats all - go crazy :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 05/10/03 - 8:33 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr

Another bad guy challenge?

I would have thought the comp was not so much the bad guy as the antagonist. This can include the misguided, the stupid the theologically opposed, the ideologically different. The spanner in the works for the hero or an important member of the forces opposed to the side that history has deemed right.

That was my take on it anyway.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Doord on Sun, 05/10/03 - 9:53 PM Permalink

God damn it, I would love to do it, but they just started a comp at Polycount, that I want to do more :(

Maybe I could build this one in two week, but I very much think I will not have the time.

Submitted by inglis on Mon, 06/10/03 - 12:10 AM Permalink

ahhh..i just noticed i spelt Villain wrong in the topic name and the syntax so everyone who has created their thread.
You might want to correct the spelling :)

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 06/10/03 - 6:56 PM Permalink

Why is there always such problems with the topics on this site.

Even the tightest topic thread can be widely different, basically its up to your imagination.

Cool topic Inglis and a good breakdown Pants.

If I can get some work out of the way I'm in this for sure, just don't want to start something and not finish again. [:(]

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 07/10/03 - 2:02 AM Permalink

I would just like to introduce myself ans say hello. Mr. Bob of Sorcery told of this community a long time ago, and i have been lurking in the shadows for a while waiting for the right time to join.

I would love to part take in this little comp and i just have one question. I am fine showing images of progress, but can i just start a topic once my whole character is complete and bombard it with multiple posts showing my progress? just so save myself time and leave people in a state of curiosity.

please let me know.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 2:14 AM Permalink

the reason for showing your progress is so people can help out, offer any crits etc.
its for your aid to help you improve your work.
you dont have to upload every day. but just so we have an idea of where youre going with it.

[edit]

welcome. :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 07/10/03 - 2:16 AM Permalink

Usualy with forum comps we post WIP so that others can see how it is that we each do things, and also so we can offer each other advice as we go along.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 07/10/03 - 5:49 AM Permalink

okay. thanks a lot for the speedy reply. i jarred my thumb on sunday at work, so it is a little tender at the moment. I will definitely post some concept art in a few days though.

thank you both again

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 07/10/03 - 7:10 AM Permalink

i just thought that people may also bee interested in this database of tutorials. the majority are meant for Maya, but they can be adapted to other apps. most of the modelling tutes are also to do with high poly work, so a few people may find it useful.

http://www.learning-maya.com/tutorials.php

enjoy

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 07/10/03 - 9:44 PM Permalink

I've always considered megatron from the transformers to be a pretty cool villain, but I'm not sure that he fits into the guidelines of a humanoid?

Anyway, dibs on megatron it he's valid (I'd do the one from the latest series, armada, since he's a hell of alot more detailed).

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 07/10/03 - 10:27 PM Permalink

Ironikart - Must be an original concept (unless you are recreating one from history, real or fictional.)

The 'fictitional' part is aimed at historical literary villains, eg, captain nemo.. I don't think basing it on a TV villain is within the rules guidelines, sorry :/

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 07/10/03 - 10:45 PM Permalink

yeah, I thought the creativity aspect would let me down on that one. Not to worry, I've never been shy about whipping up my own ideas [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 07/10/03 - 10:54 PM Permalink

Megatron would be a cool idea, but Galvatron kicked his arse. Come on, Leonard Nimoy did his voice in the movie.

Submitted by Ionized on Tue, 07/10/03 - 11:43 PM Permalink

Damn, I'd love to enter this one, high poly stuff is my favourite! Unfortunately I just signed up with a mod team, so I won't have much time left to do anything. Oh well, maybe in the next one.

Good luck guys, and congradulations to everyone who finished the last low poly challenge. Some good entries there!

Submitted by 5 Lives Studios on Wed, 15/10/03 - 10:31 AM Permalink

When you say humanoid are you implying a bipedal model with two arms?

Just like too know what kinda boundaries for humanoid model there are.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 29/10/03 - 9:10 PM Permalink

I would like to do a model that I have started and have the concept for but, wish to remake. the face and a bit of the torso are the only parts I have but, this is of no use because I wish to start the character again (and will be anyway, but would like to do it for the comp) The main reason I want to do it is because I Love the charcters concept and he fits the comp well And I want something to push me into to finshing it. Also any advanage I may get will be countered by the fact that I'm starting late because I have been doing the polycount comp and it will be finshing in the next few days and I have just about finsh my model for it.

You know the character the one from the short flim we started.

Also from what I have seen so far most of you need to have the death line a little later, but 16 days it right by me to get the base model for the comp but another 2 weeks would be helpful.

Could you get back to me before this sunday when I will be getting over the firday and saturday by doing some art :)

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 29/10/03 - 10:40 PM Permalink

yeah i have no probs extending it 2 weeks, especially if it means an extra entry. ill change it now.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 29/10/03 - 10:51 PM Permalink

EXTENDED 2 WEEKS: 3RD DECEMBER

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 29/10/03 - 11:51 PM Permalink

thanks man, I can't wait to get back into it. I will have some thing to show at the end of the weekend, sunday night :). can't wait I have been get ref for this character for about 3 months now, it will be good to make a start on him :)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/12/03 - 3:55 AM Permalink

Deadline is in two days!!!

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 02/12/03 - 11:24 AM Permalink

Shit, as much as I'd like to, I won't get mine done.. Work wants me to come in during the day :(, so even going into crunch mode won't see things done.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 02/12/03 - 11:36 AM Permalink

ummm crap...same.

somethings have come up so i havent even sat down to look at anything for a while.

what a bummer.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 02/12/03 - 5:08 PM Permalink

How could Galvatron kick Megatron's ass? Galvatron is an evolved version of Megatron.

Anyway - why not extend the deadline if everyone is struggling to meet. Mutual consent and all that.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 02/12/03 - 5:55 PM Permalink

I stand by my statement. Galvatron tha man.... er robot.

A deadline extension would be great. Three people quit work in the space of three weeks. I have been working a fair bit more and have not had time to scratch myself, let alone working on my character :(

Otherwise I will just finish her in my own time and wait for the next comp. Hopefully time will be a bit better by then.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 05/12/03 - 11:47 PM Permalink

So what's the plan for this challenge? Do we call it off, or extend it some more? I'm hoping to start the next modeller challenge mid January, so if you extend it, don't overlap that challenge please [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 06/12/03 - 12:14 AM Permalink

I personally don't mind either way, but it would probably make more sense to call it off and let people work on it in their own time. I just think that it came at a bad time of the year. Any school students have a lot on their plates and anyone who works in the industry is busy with Christmas/New Year deadlines.

Start clean next year. Start the year off with a low poly challenge while deiscussing ideas for a high poly comp. Once the low poly one ends, the high poly is ready to take over, and just keep rotating. Just my thoughts though.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 06/12/03 - 1:58 AM Permalink

yeah ok. call it off.
i have other things going myself so even if extended im out....

everyone wins!. well done all :)

Posted by inglis on

Subject: The Villain
Highpoly Modelling Competition Guidelines

Villains are beings of infamy, not always evil, but always in the belief that the ends justify the means.
In most cases, they stand against the good guys. Examples of historical villains include, Hitler, Stalin, Josef Mengele, pol pot.

For this challenge you must either create your own villain (any genre) or recreate one from history, real or fictional.

Guidelines:

• Must be a humanoid
  • Must be an original concept (unless you are recreating one from history, real or fictional.)
  • Character has to be asymmetrical
  • Character must have a prop
  • Bump/displacment maps are allowed throughout the process and in final submission. no other texture is required.
  • Character may be from any genre (fantasy, scifi, contemporary etc)
  • Character may be cartoon
  • Must show progress in the forum
  • Character must be posed in final render
  • You may use hair plugins for short hair, but long hair has to be modelled or opacity mapped.

Additional Notes:

• Provide some form of concept art, a doodle is fine.
  • Do not use models prior made to the start date. Start everything from scratch.
  • The challenge is modelling no texturing (beyond bump/displace if you choose to use it) is required.

Thread Syntax:

Use the following syntax when creating your challenge thread in the Sumea Modeller Challenge forum:

• The Villain - Highpoly Challenge #1 - (Your Name)

Final Submission must consist of:

• Wireframe orthographic views
  • Render of posed character
  • All images must be 800x600

End Date:
3rd December (8 weeks total)
This should be enough time for everyone to get it done. Its only modelling.
If there are laggers nearing the end we can always extend it a week or two.

With the open genre we should see many great variations on the topic.
Thats all - go crazy :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 05/10/03 - 8:33 PM Permalink

I would have thought the comp was not so much the bad guy as the antagonist. This can include the misguided, the stupid the theologically opposed, the ideologically different. The spanner in the works for the hero or an important member of the forces opposed to the side that history has deemed right.

That was my take on it anyway.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Doord on Sun, 05/10/03 - 9:53 PM Permalink

God damn it, I would love to do it, but they just started a comp at Polycount, that I want to do more :(

Maybe I could build this one in two week, but I very much think I will not have the time.

Submitted by inglis on Mon, 06/10/03 - 12:10 AM Permalink

ahhh..i just noticed i spelt Villain wrong in the topic name and the syntax so everyone who has created their thread.
You might want to correct the spelling :)

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 06/10/03 - 6:56 PM Permalink

Why is there always such problems with the topics on this site.

Even the tightest topic thread can be widely different, basically its up to your imagination.

Cool topic Inglis and a good breakdown Pants.

If I can get some work out of the way I'm in this for sure, just don't want to start something and not finish again. [:(]

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 07/10/03 - 2:02 AM Permalink

I would just like to introduce myself ans say hello. Mr. Bob of Sorcery told of this community a long time ago, and i have been lurking in the shadows for a while waiting for the right time to join.

I would love to part take in this little comp and i just have one question. I am fine showing images of progress, but can i just start a topic once my whole character is complete and bombard it with multiple posts showing my progress? just so save myself time and leave people in a state of curiosity.

please let me know.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 2:14 AM Permalink

the reason for showing your progress is so people can help out, offer any crits etc.
its for your aid to help you improve your work.
you dont have to upload every day. but just so we have an idea of where youre going with it.

[edit]

welcome. :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 07/10/03 - 2:16 AM Permalink

Usualy with forum comps we post WIP so that others can see how it is that we each do things, and also so we can offer each other advice as we go along.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 07/10/03 - 5:49 AM Permalink

okay. thanks a lot for the speedy reply. i jarred my thumb on sunday at work, so it is a little tender at the moment. I will definitely post some concept art in a few days though.

thank you both again

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 07/10/03 - 7:10 AM Permalink

i just thought that people may also bee interested in this database of tutorials. the majority are meant for Maya, but they can be adapted to other apps. most of the modelling tutes are also to do with high poly work, so a few people may find it useful.

http://www.learning-maya.com/tutorials.php

enjoy

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 07/10/03 - 9:44 PM Permalink

I've always considered megatron from the transformers to be a pretty cool villain, but I'm not sure that he fits into the guidelines of a humanoid?

Anyway, dibs on megatron it he's valid (I'd do the one from the latest series, armada, since he's a hell of alot more detailed).

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 07/10/03 - 10:27 PM Permalink

Ironikart - Must be an original concept (unless you are recreating one from history, real or fictional.)

The 'fictitional' part is aimed at historical literary villains, eg, captain nemo.. I don't think basing it on a TV villain is within the rules guidelines, sorry :/

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 07/10/03 - 10:45 PM Permalink

yeah, I thought the creativity aspect would let me down on that one. Not to worry, I've never been shy about whipping up my own ideas [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 07/10/03 - 10:54 PM Permalink

Megatron would be a cool idea, but Galvatron kicked his arse. Come on, Leonard Nimoy did his voice in the movie.

Submitted by Ionized on Tue, 07/10/03 - 11:43 PM Permalink

Damn, I'd love to enter this one, high poly stuff is my favourite! Unfortunately I just signed up with a mod team, so I won't have much time left to do anything. Oh well, maybe in the next one.

Good luck guys, and congradulations to everyone who finished the last low poly challenge. Some good entries there!

Submitted by 5 Lives Studios on Wed, 15/10/03 - 10:31 AM Permalink

When you say humanoid are you implying a bipedal model with two arms?

Just like too know what kinda boundaries for humanoid model there are.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 29/10/03 - 9:10 PM Permalink

I would like to do a model that I have started and have the concept for but, wish to remake. the face and a bit of the torso are the only parts I have but, this is of no use because I wish to start the character again (and will be anyway, but would like to do it for the comp) The main reason I want to do it is because I Love the charcters concept and he fits the comp well And I want something to push me into to finshing it. Also any advanage I may get will be countered by the fact that I'm starting late because I have been doing the polycount comp and it will be finshing in the next few days and I have just about finsh my model for it.

You know the character the one from the short flim we started.

Also from what I have seen so far most of you need to have the death line a little later, but 16 days it right by me to get the base model for the comp but another 2 weeks would be helpful.

Could you get back to me before this sunday when I will be getting over the firday and saturday by doing some art :)

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 29/10/03 - 10:40 PM Permalink

yeah i have no probs extending it 2 weeks, especially if it means an extra entry. ill change it now.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 29/10/03 - 10:51 PM Permalink

EXTENDED 2 WEEKS: 3RD DECEMBER

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 29/10/03 - 11:51 PM Permalink

thanks man, I can't wait to get back into it. I will have some thing to show at the end of the weekend, sunday night :). can't wait I have been get ref for this character for about 3 months now, it will be good to make a start on him :)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/12/03 - 3:55 AM Permalink

Deadline is in two days!!!

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 02/12/03 - 11:24 AM Permalink

Shit, as much as I'd like to, I won't get mine done.. Work wants me to come in during the day :(, so even going into crunch mode won't see things done.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 02/12/03 - 11:36 AM Permalink

ummm crap...same.

somethings have come up so i havent even sat down to look at anything for a while.

what a bummer.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 02/12/03 - 5:08 PM Permalink

How could Galvatron kick Megatron's ass? Galvatron is an evolved version of Megatron.

Anyway - why not extend the deadline if everyone is struggling to meet. Mutual consent and all that.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 02/12/03 - 5:55 PM Permalink

I stand by my statement. Galvatron tha man.... er robot.

A deadline extension would be great. Three people quit work in the space of three weeks. I have been working a fair bit more and have not had time to scratch myself, let alone working on my character :(

Otherwise I will just finish her in my own time and wait for the next comp. Hopefully time will be a bit better by then.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 05/12/03 - 11:47 PM Permalink

So what's the plan for this challenge? Do we call it off, or extend it some more? I'm hoping to start the next modeller challenge mid January, so if you extend it, don't overlap that challenge please [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 06/12/03 - 12:14 AM Permalink

I personally don't mind either way, but it would probably make more sense to call it off and let people work on it in their own time. I just think that it came at a bad time of the year. Any school students have a lot on their plates and anyone who works in the industry is busy with Christmas/New Year deadlines.

Start clean next year. Start the year off with a low poly challenge while deiscussing ideas for a high poly comp. Once the low poly one ends, the high poly is ready to take over, and just keep rotating. Just my thoughts though.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 06/12/03 - 1:58 AM Permalink

yeah ok. call it off.
i have other things going myself so even if extended im out....

everyone wins!. well done all :)