Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3D- DangerDave - Challenger#27

Submitted by dangerdave on

Hi all,

I've been lurking around sumea for quite sometime and seen many great artwork. So i might give it a shot at this one.I will be doing a doom3 type of monster (basically specific for doom 3 genre) Hes a mutated monster that lurks around the shadows.

I will post the concept for the body sometime next week. I may do normal mapping just depends on how much time i got (using Zbrush and 3dsmax). I will also post screenshots of modelling soon.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/dangerdave/200484191034_concept1…"]concept1.jpg[/url]
99.43 KB
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/dangerdave/200484191034_concept1…]

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 05/08/04 - 7:53 PM Permalink

Nice art. Really cool airbrushed look. The head looks cool, but I would really like to see the body for it.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 05/08/04 - 8:08 PM Permalink

Interesting concept, except that normal mapping isn't allowed in the comp and the doom 3 genre isn't survival/horror.

Submitted by dangerdave on Thu, 05/08/04 - 8:31 PM Permalink

Aven : Thank you kindly for your reply.

Malus : thank you for making normal mapping clear... I probably missed it in the rules section.. Although about Doom 3 doesnt that fall at a horror/survival genre ??? (or please explain which genre it falls)...

note: that this is still a WIP.. the head etc could change

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 05/08/04 - 9:30 PM Permalink

crazy, looks like a tyranid hormagaunt (warhammer 40k) zombified

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 05/08/04 - 11:01 PM Permalink

I think this one is ok. If you hadnt mentioned Doom then noone would have said anything.
Just stay away from tech stuff like body suits, guns, etc and you should be right.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 05/08/04 - 11:07 PM Permalink

Silent hill, resident evil = survival/horror genre.
Doom 3 = first person shooter genre.

I know Doom 3 could be classed as horror in its "atmosphere etc" but its not billed as a survival horror "genre", people seem to be forgeting the word "genre".

We need to keep some boundries for this comp or people will be making anything and claiming it can be survival/horror and as such Doom 3 is stretching it too far. [:)]

Put it this way, if the brief said make a platform "genre" character everyone would hopefully do a Jax, Ty, Mario, Sonic style thing.

But it could be argued that in Halflife you had to jump on some crates to cross a pit therefore it had platformer gameplay and therefore you should be able to model Gorgon freeman. [:P]

See my point, boundries, needed for judging etc.

That guy would work in a silent hill, res evil or similar games though, looks good.

Submitted by Sinister on Thu, 05/08/04 - 11:26 PM Permalink

After playing Doom3 for half the day yesterday, I would have to say that the first half of the game comes very close to the survival horror theme (apart from the setting being in a martian base). The zombies and creatures certainly do (apart from "Pinky" with the mechanical back half).

Anyway, I love your concept and it suits the theme fine. Your digital painting skills are great. The muscle fibre look cool. I'd love to be able to paint like that! I too would love to see a concept for the body. Although normal mapping is out, bump certainly is in so I'd love to see some of that in your final model [:D]

Submitted by kit on Fri, 06/08/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

clearly this character fits a horror design.. so clearly it would be right at home in a survival/horror game.

..so obviously you are upset by the word "DOOM" an not by the design. Don't you think your being a little ...anal... and arguing semantics here?.. after all if DD had said the word "RESIDENT EVIL" you would have had no problem with this model.

it's a fantastic design that clearly fits the horror genre!

Submitted by dangerdave on Fri, 06/08/04 - 1:24 AM Permalink

Malus: Doom 3?..... ummm I meant resident evil or some other GAME you find APPROPRIATE.

Makk: Thank you.. i have drawn up the concept and will post it soon. There wont be any guns or body suits and anything like that for this creature/monster.

Sinister: Thank you as well. Yeah unfortunately normal mapping is out but yes i will do bump mapping etc on it...

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 06/08/04 - 1:35 AM Permalink

Just another point Malus (sorry to highjack your thread Dave :) ), Dino Crisis is also considered Survival Horror. Dinosaurs on a Space Station? Not what has been seen as 'Survival Horror' so far in this comp :)

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 06/08/04 - 2:03 AM Permalink

Kit: I understand the concept would work in this comp, I said that it would, read my post and you'll see I never said he couldn't use it.
Just thought I'd put the whole doom 3 thing out before he modelled a mini gun on it.
So yeah I'm anal but only because I want everyone to have a decent chance at the prize. [:P]

Aven: I've never once mentioned Dino Crisis have I?

The reason for making a distinct boundary is because I've been indundated with personal emails asking what characters people can make, these ranged from cyber monkey demons to cute mario styled zombies, we needed a boundry for judging.

I could honestly care less if people want to do them, I just wanted to help people get the most chance of winning, next time I'll just let it be I guess.

DangerDave: Sorry for the highjack.
Btw: I was for normal mapping, most people said too hard. [:(]

Everyone: if you have a problem with the brief take it up with Souri or bring it up in the main thread, cheers. [:)]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 06/08/04 - 2:11 AM Permalink

Yes, post it in the main question thread so everyone can follow it too..

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 06/08/04 - 2:34 AM Permalink

nice head! nice detail...... did that take long to do?

..... looks like areally pissed off/demon posessed choclate wheaton!! i dont know whether to run for my life or lick it :)

is it going to be a biped type character or have multiple legs/ alliens type body?

cant wait to see the rest of the concept and the modelling...

definately got a real doom3 look and feel allright...

keep up the good work ...

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 06/08/04 - 6:30 AM Permalink

gameplay waise doom 3 is first person shooter, but the enemies jumping out of shaddows, or lurcking slowly out of shaddows in kinda survival horrorish. i think doom3 comes pretty close visually, with perhaps the only real thing going against it in terms of this comp is that it's heavily sci-fi.

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 06/08/04 - 8:35 PM Permalink

actually i agree with you LW ... Doom as an enviroment is heavily sci-fi/survivalist (traditionally speaking) and although it can often embody obvious horror elements such as characters like this (that if met in real life would scare the absolute crap out of you).... it is not entirely as rooted with inner-fear or psychological fear/... as say the exorcist/blair-witch project/the ring/or the shining ....

( i read a couple of relatively 'subjective' journals on what horror is, and why it evolves over time..... interestingly enough... apperently trends in successful horror quite often follow media fears and 'presented' social phobias )

baring this in mind... i think that this concept (even though it is just a head at this stage) definately sits on the fence between two genres ( which could work against you as a negative?????) and if i were on the judging panel ..... i would be looking to see how it could be 'presented' in a fasion that would lend it more to traditional horror/survival motifs... or more to the point .... what could shape the idea a little further away from the sci-fi realms?

perhaps when you build on the story or concept?? it is definately painted well... and if this is your 'concept' then i cant wait to see the detail you put into the texture!.. [;)]

better off thinking about why 9 out of 15 responses in your post are arguing for and against the ligitimacy of your concept within the survival/horror genre rather than giving art/tech-advice and feedback on creativity........ now ...... rather than later... [^]

keep up the awsome work whichever way you go!!!!! [8]

Submitted by RLyons on Fri, 06/08/04 - 9:30 PM Permalink

Great image, the thing looks scary enough to me. I wouldn't worry about the rest of these bitchy posts.
Survival horror just means scary stuff, I mean Christ I loved resident evil but remember when the giant spiders came out.... they looked cool sure but how did we go from zombies to giant spiders. If the contents of this comp just mirrors what we have already seen in third person games it going to be pretty ordinary.
And Malus, I'd chill out, your going to have a break down if you start critiquing every post that goes up, let alone Dave's first draft concept.... we haven?t even seen what the rest of the thing looks like. And who cares where people get there influence as long as it?s scary.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 07/08/04 - 1:50 AM Permalink

There's nothing wrong with critique as long as it's constructive..

However, Doom3 isn't survival horror. It's a FPS with a horror setting. Survival horror isn't fast paced, twitch shooting, jump/run/shoot action, with little or no puzzle elements.. However, like Livewire said, the graphic style is close, BUT as soon as you start adding robotic appendages/sci fi elements into it, then I think you're heading towards the wrong track.. Malus was trying to steer you onto the right track, since you did mention Doom..

Heck, I heard alarm bells when you wrote Doom as well. The concept is great, and all Malus said was, if you're putting a chaingun on it or plan to have it with robot/metal appendages ala Doom, then we're getting to a style that's not really survival horror. That's all that was, and I'm not quite sure why people are getting defensive here.

Submitted by dangerdave on Sat, 07/08/04 - 2:39 AM Permalink

i never intended the thread to be like this...

just like makk said i shouldnt have mentioned doom 3 genre at all, or anything that had to do with doom 3.

I know my concept doesnt mean anything for now it is just a head concept so please give me time to correct it and i can guarantee that it wont have any metallic robot gadgets etc attached to it.

Tojo: thank you. It did take me a while. it is very hard to paint and im still tinkering around painting flesh etc.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 07/08/04 - 4:03 AM Permalink

Great concept dangerdave - i would like to see that guy be some huge massive boss creature - just a pure abomination of flesh / limbs and all things tendonlike. That flails its wet meaty limbs / tentacles.

I say make him non bipedal - just a massive Caterpillar type thing or maybe even 4 legged spider beast. That concept tells a story to me - and I cant wait to see the whole body. Well done [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 07/08/04 - 4:32 AM Permalink

Everyone: if you have a problem with the brief take it up with Souri or bring it up in the main thread, cheers. [:)]

great concept!!! :D any thoughts on the body and what did you make that pic with (program (which) or traditional media ("))

Submitted by RLyons on Sun, 08/08/04 - 12:19 AM Permalink

What do mean no robotic appendages??? Do robotic appendages mean fast paced, twitch shooting, jump/run/shoot action? What about the final boss in Resident evil, he comes out of a test tube in what appears to be a sci fi setting. There were even sharks in resident evil!!!
And does Dave?s creature even have robotic appendages? I think he even said he wasn?t adding metallic parts after being hijacked by these posts. I wish we had seen what Dave?s original idea had been before the poor guy started reading these posts.
This comp seems to be pushing very narrow field of creativity based on games that through everything and the kitchen sink at you. All Dave mention was that he was taking inspiration from Doom 3, sweet, who cares were people get their influence from?!?
And I don?t think Malus should be coming down on concepts so hard, his comments don?t seem to be inciting new characters just pushing people towards the same old jazz?.. Or is that what we want to see?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 08/08/04 - 1:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by RLyons
after being hijacked by these posts.

if you dont think DDs thread should be hijacked, you should post your problems/queerys in the competition the competition thread. Im no moderator or staff but thats just my advice.

Submitted by dangerdave on Thu, 12/08/04 - 4:37 AM Permalink

here is my concept for the whole body.... im still not happy with the head so it could change during the model... Also textures and detail could change because i never got the time to fully shade the bits i want in the concept (i had to leave it and model) ... :(

Ive started modelling and will post WIP and wires soon...

Moonunit: Thank you for your kind comments. I used photoshop to paint these images.

Hazard: Thank you :).

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/dangerdave/20048114350_concept2D…"]concept2DD.jpg[/url]
135.21 KB
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/dangerdave/20048114350_concept2D…]

Submitted by conundrum on Thu, 12/08/04 - 4:42 AM Permalink

looking superb, all i would say is that maybe you should enlarge that left arm a bit to offset the way the head seems to rests closer to the right. other than that no crits, its a nice shape and very detailed concept, looking forward to the model.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 12/08/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

Thats coming along really well, love the eyes and the horns.
I'd maybe lose the furry tail but thats just me.

Submitted by tojo on Thu, 12/08/04 - 4:49 AM Permalink

nice work again dude..... you have an eye for tonal detail and form....

i certainly wouldnt call it an 'chocolate wheaton' now .... especially to its face

are they all eyes??

it would almost work even without the head! especially that big eye under the topmost spike/scale

the feathered tail gives it a final fantasy monster style feel...

looks great .... you must be a pretty mean texturer i would imagine....

keep up the good work....

and get stuck into that model.... we are around the half way mark allready!!

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 12/08/04 - 6:36 PM Permalink

Looks sweet. Agree with all the comments that have been posted. Especially Malus' one.

If you can model as well as you can paint, then this will be a massive forerunner :D

Submitted by dangerdave on Thu, 12/08/04 - 7:23 PM Permalink

WoW thank you for comments guys :)...... i really apreciate it... Yes they are all eyes but shaded shit.... just did not have time :(....

I might loose the hair on the tail or maybe have some fleshy bits hanging......LOL just looking at it.... it does look quite crap.... :) thanks malus and aven.... i think there will be massive changes and looks to model by looking at it.. i hope i dont stray away too much..

Aven: i like modelling better than painting :) at least i get proportions right when modelling.....

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 13/08/04 - 2:22 AM Permalink

dude thats freaking awesome, your one hell of a painter
crits, id loose the fur aswell, also i might tone down the muscle volume in the uppertorso/arms. Not saying make it all small and normal looking, just a little bit down.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 13/08/04 - 6:05 AM Permalink

Love it! I was hoping it would be some kind of massive tyrant / beast. Id go with some kind of club on his tail or more like spikes aka dinosaur'ish.

Hi all,

I've been lurking around sumea for quite sometime and seen many great artwork. So i might give it a shot at this one.I will be doing a doom3 type of monster (basically specific for doom 3 genre) Hes a mutated monster that lurks around the shadows.

I will post the concept for the body sometime next week. I may do normal mapping just depends on how much time i got (using Zbrush and 3dsmax). I will also post screenshots of modelling soon.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/dangerdave/200484191034_concept1…"]concept1.jpg[/url]
99.43 KB
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/dangerdave/200484191034_concept1…]

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 05/08/04 - 7:53 PM Permalink

Nice art. Really cool airbrushed look. The head looks cool, but I would really like to see the body for it.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 05/08/04 - 8:08 PM Permalink

Interesting concept, except that normal mapping isn't allowed in the comp and the doom 3 genre isn't survival/horror.

Submitted by dangerdave on Thu, 05/08/04 - 8:31 PM Permalink

Aven : Thank you kindly for your reply.

Malus : thank you for making normal mapping clear... I probably missed it in the rules section.. Although about Doom 3 doesnt that fall at a horror/survival genre ??? (or please explain which genre it falls)...

note: that this is still a WIP.. the head etc could change

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 05/08/04 - 9:30 PM Permalink

crazy, looks like a tyranid hormagaunt (warhammer 40k) zombified

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 05/08/04 - 11:01 PM Permalink

I think this one is ok. If you hadnt mentioned Doom then noone would have said anything.
Just stay away from tech stuff like body suits, guns, etc and you should be right.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 05/08/04 - 11:07 PM Permalink

I know Doom 3 could be classed as horror in its "atmosphere etc" but its not billed as a survival horror "genre", people seem to be forgeting the word "genre".

We need to keep some boundries for this comp or people will be making anything and claiming it can be survival/horror and as such Doom 3 is stretching it too far. [:)]

Put it this way, if the brief said make a platform "genre" character everyone would hopefully do a Jax, Ty, Mario, Sonic style thing.

But it could be argued that in Halflife you had to jump on some crates to cross a pit therefore it had platformer gameplay and therefore you should be able to model Gorgon freeman. [:P]

See my point, boundries, needed for judging etc.

That guy would work in a silent hill, res evil or similar games though, looks good.

Submitted by Sinister on Thu, 05/08/04 - 11:26 PM Permalink

After playing Doom3 for half the day yesterday, I would have to say that the first half of the game comes very close to the survival horror theme (apart from the setting being in a martian base). The zombies and creatures certainly do (apart from "Pinky" with the mechanical back half).

Anyway, I love your concept and it suits the theme fine. Your digital painting skills are great. The muscle fibre look cool. I'd love to be able to paint like that! I too would love to see a concept for the body. Although normal mapping is out, bump certainly is in so I'd love to see some of that in your final model [:D]

Submitted by kit on Fri, 06/08/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

clearly this character fits a horror design.. so clearly it would be right at home in a survival/horror game.

..so obviously you are upset by the word "DOOM" an not by the design. Don't you think your being a little ...anal... and arguing semantics here?.. after all if DD had said the word "RESIDENT EVIL" you would have had no problem with this model.

it's a fantastic design that clearly fits the horror genre!

Submitted by dangerdave on Fri, 06/08/04 - 1:24 AM Permalink

Malus: Doom 3?..... ummm I meant resident evil or some other GAME you find APPROPRIATE.

Makk: Thank you.. i have drawn up the concept and will post it soon. There wont be any guns or body suits and anything like that for this creature/monster.

Sinister: Thank you as well. Yeah unfortunately normal mapping is out but yes i will do bump mapping etc on it...

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 06/08/04 - 1:35 AM Permalink

Just another point Malus (sorry to highjack your thread Dave :) ), Dino Crisis is also considered Survival Horror. Dinosaurs on a Space Station? Not what has been seen as 'Survival Horror' so far in this comp :)

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 06/08/04 - 2:03 AM Permalink

Kit: I understand the concept would work in this comp, I said that it would, read my post and you'll see I never said he couldn't use it.
Just thought I'd put the whole doom 3 thing out before he modelled a mini gun on it.
So yeah I'm anal but only because I want everyone to have a decent chance at the prize. [:P]

Aven: I've never once mentioned Dino Crisis have I?

The reason for making a distinct boundary is because I've been indundated with personal emails asking what characters people can make, these ranged from cyber monkey demons to cute mario styled zombies, we needed a boundry for judging.

I could honestly care less if people want to do them, I just wanted to help people get the most chance of winning, next time I'll just let it be I guess.

DangerDave: Sorry for the highjack.
Btw: I was for normal mapping, most people said too hard. [:(]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 06/08/04 - 2:11 AM Permalink

Yes, post it in the main question thread so everyone can follow it too..

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 06/08/04 - 2:34 AM Permalink

nice head! nice detail...... did that take long to do?

..... looks like areally pissed off/demon posessed choclate wheaton!! i dont know whether to run for my life or lick it :)

is it going to be a biped type character or have multiple legs/ alliens type body?

cant wait to see the rest of the concept and the modelling...

definately got a real doom3 look and feel allright...

keep up the good work ...

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 06/08/04 - 6:30 AM Permalink

gameplay waise doom 3 is first person shooter, but the enemies jumping out of shaddows, or lurcking slowly out of shaddows in kinda survival horrorish. i think doom3 comes pretty close visually, with perhaps the only real thing going against it in terms of this comp is that it's heavily sci-fi.

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 06/08/04 - 8:35 PM Permalink

actually i agree with you LW ... Doom as an enviroment is heavily sci-fi/survivalist (traditionally speaking) and although it can often embody obvious horror elements such as characters like this (that if met in real life would scare the absolute crap out of you).... it is not entirely as rooted with inner-fear or psychological fear/... as say the exorcist/blair-witch project/the ring/or the shining ....

( i read a couple of relatively 'subjective' journals on what horror is, and why it evolves over time..... interestingly enough... apperently trends in successful horror quite often follow media fears and 'presented' social phobias )

baring this in mind... i think that this concept (even though it is just a head at this stage) definately sits on the fence between two genres ( which could work against you as a negative?????) and if i were on the judging panel ..... i would be looking to see how it could be 'presented' in a fasion that would lend it more to traditional horror/survival motifs... or more to the point .... what could shape the idea a little further away from the sci-fi realms?

perhaps when you build on the story or concept?? it is definately painted well... and if this is your 'concept' then i cant wait to see the detail you put into the texture!.. [;)]

better off thinking about why 9 out of 15 responses in your post are arguing for and against the ligitimacy of your concept within the survival/horror genre rather than giving art/tech-advice and feedback on creativity........ now ...... rather than later... [^]

keep up the awsome work whichever way you go!!!!! [8]

Submitted by RLyons on Fri, 06/08/04 - 9:30 PM Permalink

Great image, the thing looks scary enough to me. I wouldn't worry about the rest of these bitchy posts.
Survival horror just means scary stuff, I mean Christ I loved resident evil but remember when the giant spiders came out.... they looked cool sure but how did we go from zombies to giant spiders. If the contents of this comp just mirrors what we have already seen in third person games it going to be pretty ordinary.
And Malus, I'd chill out, your going to have a break down if you start critiquing every post that goes up, let alone Dave's first draft concept.... we haven?t even seen what the rest of the thing looks like. And who cares where people get there influence as long as it?s scary.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 07/08/04 - 1:50 AM Permalink

There's nothing wrong with critique as long as it's constructive..

However, Doom3 isn't survival horror. It's a FPS with a horror setting. Survival horror isn't fast paced, twitch shooting, jump/run/shoot action, with little or no puzzle elements.. However, like Livewire said, the graphic style is close, BUT as soon as you start adding robotic appendages/sci fi elements into it, then I think you're heading towards the wrong track.. Malus was trying to steer you onto the right track, since you did mention Doom..

Heck, I heard alarm bells when you wrote Doom as well. The concept is great, and all Malus said was, if you're putting a chaingun on it or plan to have it with robot/metal appendages ala Doom, then we're getting to a style that's not really survival horror. That's all that was, and I'm not quite sure why people are getting defensive here.

Submitted by dangerdave on Sat, 07/08/04 - 2:39 AM Permalink

i never intended the thread to be like this...

just like makk said i shouldnt have mentioned doom 3 genre at all, or anything that had to do with doom 3.

I know my concept doesnt mean anything for now it is just a head concept so please give me time to correct it and i can guarantee that it wont have any metallic robot gadgets etc attached to it.

Tojo: thank you. It did take me a while. it is very hard to paint and im still tinkering around painting flesh etc.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 07/08/04 - 4:03 AM Permalink

Great concept dangerdave - i would like to see that guy be some huge massive boss creature - just a pure abomination of flesh / limbs and all things tendonlike. That flails its wet meaty limbs / tentacles.

I say make him non bipedal - just a massive Caterpillar type thing or maybe even 4 legged spider beast. That concept tells a story to me - and I cant wait to see the whole body. Well done [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 07/08/04 - 4:32 AM Permalink

great concept!!! :D any thoughts on the body and what did you make that pic with (program (which) or traditional media ("))

Submitted by RLyons on Sun, 08/08/04 - 12:19 AM Permalink

What do mean no robotic appendages??? Do robotic appendages mean fast paced, twitch shooting, jump/run/shoot action? What about the final boss in Resident evil, he comes out of a test tube in what appears to be a sci fi setting. There were even sharks in resident evil!!!
And does Dave?s creature even have robotic appendages? I think he even said he wasn?t adding metallic parts after being hijacked by these posts. I wish we had seen what Dave?s original idea had been before the poor guy started reading these posts.
This comp seems to be pushing very narrow field of creativity based on games that through everything and the kitchen sink at you. All Dave mention was that he was taking inspiration from Doom 3, sweet, who cares were people get their influence from?!?
And I don?t think Malus should be coming down on concepts so hard, his comments don?t seem to be inciting new characters just pushing people towards the same old jazz?.. Or is that what we want to see?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 08/08/04 - 1:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by RLyons
after being hijacked by these posts.

if you dont think DDs thread should be hijacked, you should post your problems/queerys in the competition the competition thread. Im no moderator or staff but thats just my advice.

Submitted by dangerdave on Thu, 12/08/04 - 4:37 AM Permalink

here is my concept for the whole body.... im still not happy with the head so it could change during the model... Also textures and detail could change because i never got the time to fully shade the bits i want in the concept (i had to leave it and model) ... :(

Ive started modelling and will post WIP and wires soon...

Moonunit: Thank you for your kind comments. I used photoshop to paint these images.

Hazard: Thank you :).

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/dangerdave/20048114350_concept2D…"]concept2DD.jpg[/url]
135.21 KB
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/dangerdave/20048114350_concept2D…]

Submitted by conundrum on Thu, 12/08/04 - 4:42 AM Permalink

looking superb, all i would say is that maybe you should enlarge that left arm a bit to offset the way the head seems to rests closer to the right. other than that no crits, its a nice shape and very detailed concept, looking forward to the model.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 12/08/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

Thats coming along really well, love the eyes and the horns.
I'd maybe lose the furry tail but thats just me.

Submitted by tojo on Thu, 12/08/04 - 4:49 AM Permalink

nice work again dude..... you have an eye for tonal detail and form....

i certainly wouldnt call it an 'chocolate wheaton' now .... especially to its face

are they all eyes??

it would almost work even without the head! especially that big eye under the topmost spike/scale

the feathered tail gives it a final fantasy monster style feel...

looks great .... you must be a pretty mean texturer i would imagine....

keep up the good work....

and get stuck into that model.... we are around the half way mark allready!!

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 12/08/04 - 6:36 PM Permalink

Looks sweet. Agree with all the comments that have been posted. Especially Malus' one.

If you can model as well as you can paint, then this will be a massive forerunner :D

Submitted by dangerdave on Thu, 12/08/04 - 7:23 PM Permalink

WoW thank you for comments guys :)...... i really apreciate it... Yes they are all eyes but shaded shit.... just did not have time :(....

I might loose the hair on the tail or maybe have some fleshy bits hanging......LOL just looking at it.... it does look quite crap.... :) thanks malus and aven.... i think there will be massive changes and looks to model by looking at it.. i hope i dont stray away too much..

Aven: i like modelling better than painting :) at least i get proportions right when modelling.....

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 13/08/04 - 2:22 AM Permalink

dude thats freaking awesome, your one hell of a painter
crits, id loose the fur aswell, also i might tone down the muscle volume in the uppertorso/arms. Not saying make it all small and normal looking, just a little bit down.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 13/08/04 - 6:05 AM Permalink

Love it! I was hoping it would be some kind of massive tyrant / beast. Id go with some kind of club on his tail or more like spikes aka dinosaur'ish.