Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #8 - Farmergnome

Hi all,

First time challenge entry, going to do a cheesy evil spirit in samurai armor, just did some basic speedpaints last night, so ill probably clean it up and do a few more angles and closeups in the comming days.

[IMG]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1915/samuraipass18fm.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry bout the repost, my host keeps dying so had to move it to imageshack :S

Cheers,

Paul

Submitted by picpoc on Mon, 05/06/06 - 8:54 PM Permalink

nice one, I was thinking of doing a samurai but i thought someone else will do it, and i'm glad i didn't because i don't think i could do anything to match this

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 05/06/06 - 10:03 PM Permalink

Bloody nice concept. Big fan of your style. Kinda reminds me a bit of Bishamon from Darkstalkers with the colour scheme and blue spirit, but without the face built into the chest armour.

Can't wait to see this model.

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 05/06/06 - 11:39 PM Permalink

Yeah nice paintwork there. Looking forward to seeing more from you :)

Submitted by farmergnome on Fri, 09/06/06 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Cheers guys,

I got nothing on some of the work up by other people :) Still learning to concept you see, done a heap more sketches, hopefully i can add some more up soon for you guys to look at by next week :>.

Id like to do the whole vega thing with the mask as a detachable item that can be smashed off his face, cus modeling/texturing faces is the best part :>

Paul

Submitted by Bunny on Fri, 09/06/06 - 1:51 AM Permalink

Oooh, sexay. I'd love to see a massive nasty grimace on the mask, with a big fat handlebar moustache. That would make for some awesome normal mapping. The lighting on the mask from the glowing eyes looks like it should be fun.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Fri, 09/06/06 - 1:56 AM Permalink

WOW! I really love the style of your concept! Solid start.
Just a quick question? Is he going to be Japanese? cause he kinda looks like an angry old magician - Rasputin-ish.
Awesome work. Cant wait to see more!

WAR-HEAD

Submitted by farmergnome on Fri, 09/06/06 - 2:09 AM Permalink

yea he does look a bit western, never realy drawn anything else but i plan to make him look as asian as possible, i guess ill have to give it another shot this weekend, see what i can come up with :S

Submitted by junkers on Fri, 09/06/06 - 10:41 AM Permalink

I think that looks great, when i first saw it, i thought awsome, a massive walking oriental temple! that would be freaking cool as!

Submitted by farmergnome on Mon, 12/06/06 - 10:32 PM Permalink

another update up top, started to just add some basic details n stuff, flesh out bits of his armor etc. Its still fairly messy, ill be cleaning it up at a later stage as it looks like some nasty shit atm, but for now its back onto the face to try n get a face that fits a bit better.

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 13/06/06 - 1:20 AM Permalink

yeeahhhh, that's nice and moody. Very sexy. Only thing I'd suggest on the design side is to give him a bit of character and sense of belonging by giving his armour something. An insignia or clan emblem, maybe a mark of his condition (why his eyes are glowy/smokey). Other than that I'd say he's quite rich in character, very cool [:)]

Submitted by farmergnome on Tue, 13/06/06 - 6:38 AM Permalink

Ha yea, i was thinking about a symbol or a unique armor piece, still pondering several options i guess. I wanted him to fit the image of a dishonoured samurai, instead of ending it himself after the events that shamed him, he seeks redemption through a supernatural path, demonic possession, watever, something cool [:)] , anyway things go bad as they generally do, and in no time hes some random evil demons ass-puppet, charging around the earth kicking ass and making babies cry [:D] .

Ha, ok, anyway, visually it should translate that I guess i pictured him as some average soilder, nothing special armor wise, so ill think outside of that, his unique features should be related to the whole possession thing... gah my brain

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 13/06/06 - 6:55 AM Permalink

Thats awesome quick paints man.... i gotta get my arse moving hehe...

well done.

Submitted by tojo on Tue, 20/06/06 - 7:04 PM Permalink

looking sick man... this could turn out really freakin awsome...

you better finish it!!!

Submitted by farmergnome on Tue, 20/06/06 - 9:35 PM Permalink

Cheers for the kind words guys, dunno about finishing tojo, see how it goes :>

Hi all,

First time challenge entry, going to do a cheesy evil spirit in samurai armor, just did some basic speedpaints last night, so ill probably clean it up and do a few more angles and closeups in the comming days.

[IMG]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1915/samuraipass18fm.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry bout the repost, my host keeps dying so had to move it to imageshack :S

Cheers,

Paul

Submitted by picpoc on Mon, 05/06/06 - 8:54 PM Permalink

nice one, I was thinking of doing a samurai but i thought someone else will do it, and i'm glad i didn't because i don't think i could do anything to match this

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 05/06/06 - 10:03 PM Permalink

Bloody nice concept. Big fan of your style. Kinda reminds me a bit of Bishamon from Darkstalkers with the colour scheme and blue spirit, but without the face built into the chest armour.

Can't wait to see this model.

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 05/06/06 - 11:39 PM Permalink

Yeah nice paintwork there. Looking forward to seeing more from you :)

Submitted by farmergnome on Fri, 09/06/06 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Cheers guys,

I got nothing on some of the work up by other people :) Still learning to concept you see, done a heap more sketches, hopefully i can add some more up soon for you guys to look at by next week :>.

Id like to do the whole vega thing with the mask as a detachable item that can be smashed off his face, cus modeling/texturing faces is the best part :>

Paul

Submitted by Bunny on Fri, 09/06/06 - 1:51 AM Permalink

Oooh, sexay. I'd love to see a massive nasty grimace on the mask, with a big fat handlebar moustache. That would make for some awesome normal mapping. The lighting on the mask from the glowing eyes looks like it should be fun.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Fri, 09/06/06 - 1:56 AM Permalink

WOW! I really love the style of your concept! Solid start.
Just a quick question? Is he going to be Japanese? cause he kinda looks like an angry old magician - Rasputin-ish.
Awesome work. Cant wait to see more!

WAR-HEAD

Submitted by farmergnome on Fri, 09/06/06 - 2:09 AM Permalink

yea he does look a bit western, never realy drawn anything else but i plan to make him look as asian as possible, i guess ill have to give it another shot this weekend, see what i can come up with :S

Submitted by junkers on Fri, 09/06/06 - 10:41 AM Permalink

I think that looks great, when i first saw it, i thought awsome, a massive walking oriental temple! that would be freaking cool as!

Submitted by farmergnome on Mon, 12/06/06 - 10:32 PM Permalink

another update up top, started to just add some basic details n stuff, flesh out bits of his armor etc. Its still fairly messy, ill be cleaning it up at a later stage as it looks like some nasty shit atm, but for now its back onto the face to try n get a face that fits a bit better.

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 13/06/06 - 1:20 AM Permalink

yeeahhhh, that's nice and moody. Very sexy. Only thing I'd suggest on the design side is to give him a bit of character and sense of belonging by giving his armour something. An insignia or clan emblem, maybe a mark of his condition (why his eyes are glowy/smokey). Other than that I'd say he's quite rich in character, very cool [:)]

Submitted by farmergnome on Tue, 13/06/06 - 6:38 AM Permalink

Ha yea, i was thinking about a symbol or a unique armor piece, still pondering several options i guess. I wanted him to fit the image of a dishonoured samurai, instead of ending it himself after the events that shamed him, he seeks redemption through a supernatural path, demonic possession, watever, something cool [:)] , anyway things go bad as they generally do, and in no time hes some random evil demons ass-puppet, charging around the earth kicking ass and making babies cry [:D] .

Ha, ok, anyway, visually it should translate that I guess i pictured him as some average soilder, nothing special armor wise, so ill think outside of that, his unique features should be related to the whole possession thing... gah my brain

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 13/06/06 - 6:55 AM Permalink

Thats awesome quick paints man.... i gotta get my arse moving hehe...

well done.

Submitted by tojo on Tue, 20/06/06 - 7:04 PM Permalink

looking sick man... this could turn out really freakin awsome...

you better finish it!!!

Submitted by farmergnome on Tue, 20/06/06 - 9:35 PM Permalink

Cheers for the kind words guys, dunno about finishing tojo, see how it goes :>