Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- azmodai - Challenger #15

Submitted by azmodai on

Just announcing that I'll be partaking in this competition. I'm not amazing at concepts or modelling, but there is only one way to learn, by doing the work.

Being a old D&D player, I wanted to do somethinge elfish and of course, evil. This is Rae`Nar, Dark Elf Sorceress

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 04/08/03 - 7:08 PM Permalink

About time a female, Nice work, but i think the face would have a hard time in 3D. Also the lowwer legs look to be a little fat.

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 04/08/03 - 9:52 PM Permalink

Nice work there! Good to see someone picked a female character. I like the staff [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 04/08/03 - 11:08 PM Permalink

very cool, Should look good in 3D.
Looks like you and I are the only ones doing women so far.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 05/08/03 - 12:01 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

I'd just like to add that my demon is asexual (it's not like you can see under the human loincloth, is it?)

Cool concept in the 'Elvira' vein of things. Her legs are quite chunky in comparison to her waist and upper body.

I like the costume, 'tiara' and staff. A nice gothic feel.

Submitted by azmodai on Thu, 07/08/03 - 11:57 PM Permalink

Her legs will be toned down when I start drawing out the guides to model her, thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated

Submitted by SHaRD on Sat, 16/08/03 - 3:58 AM Permalink

I hope using someone elses concepts isnt breaking the comp. rules becuase if it does you failed miserably

i take you you play dark elfs in warhammer fantasy?

please design your *Own* Idea instead of ripping off concept art from the dark elf armys book

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 16/08/03 - 4:58 AM Permalink

oh harshness !!!! i rekon provide evidence before accusing him ? [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 16/08/03 - 9:44 AM Permalink

azmodai:

Ok first up, the thread says no fan art models so you'd have to do a new concept to be elligable to enter.

Secondly you stated it was your concept, I'm not going to say you tried to openly lie but you might want to be careful with things like that as artist generally don't take kindly to plagarists, infact they tend to skin them alive.

So if you still want to be involved in this challenge please remove that image or at the very least only use it only as a reference to create some thing original and give the artist who did do it the credit they deserve, better yet make sure they give you permission to use it.

People lets just remember that others work hard on building a name for themselves with their art and taking shortcuts and lying will only hurt your chances in the end.

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 16/08/03 - 10:41 AM Permalink

THANKX shard enough evidence there thank u [:D]

yeah suggest u either come up with a new concept just like malus said ur hurting yourself.......

Submitted by SHaRD on Sat, 16/08/03 - 8:07 PM Permalink

im suprised no one else picked it up actually

as you said above, "but there is only one way to learn, by doing the work."

so come up with your own design and do the work

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 16/08/03 - 8:36 PM Permalink

Shard: There are so many concepts out there its hard to know who did what but thanks for being vigilant on this occassion, it shows someone, somewhere will know if you try and pull a swifty.

I'd just like to give Azmodai a chance to explain himself before we tear him apart though ok.

Hopefully he will do the right thing, plagarism of an artists work isn't just immoral its highly illegal, hes lucky you found it and not the author.

Submitted by SHaRD on Sun, 17/08/03 - 3:03 AM Permalink

heh im probobly sounding harsher than i actually feel

but yeh, definately give a chance, he wants to learn and we all make mistakes

Submitted by souri on Sun, 17/08/03 - 5:37 AM Permalink

Let's not get into a whole character assassination on someone in the forum, and move on from here. Azmodai, you're more than welcome to come up with a new original concept and take part in the challenge. I know that everyone isn't quite as adept at concepts, and it's ok to draw influence from other designs, but that concept borrows a bit too much from the original.

Submitted by azmodai on Sun, 17/08/03 - 8:43 AM Permalink

Christ, I had forgotten completley about that.

To explain, I have a dozen or so sketchbooks from long ago ( 3 or 4 years ago), while looking for a concept, I took a trip though some old sketchbooks of mine, and came across the image in an line art form which I now realise I must've copied from that book.

Not being a player of the warhammer fantasy battle game, I couldn't remember if and where that image had been taken from, and the image being in my sketchbook, I wasn't thinking that I would have done a direct copy of the image, which is why I figured I'd use it. ( I really should check all those old sketches of mine someday )

Of course, when SHaRD posted that picture, its pretty obvious where I took that picture from, some years ago.

So I apologise to you all, It wasn't intentional by any means, just a minor screwup brought about by a lack of creative thought when I was searching for images to work with.

It shall be removed

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 17/08/03 - 9:38 AM Permalink

yuppers.. easy mistake to make.. i'm sure everyone has re-created something before as an artsy thing..

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 17/08/03 - 10:09 AM Permalink

Azmodai: Thanks for clearing that up and I look forward to your concept.

Well at least its highlighted how important it is to be honest and careful about what you post.

As Souri said using other peoples work as creative references is fine in this challenge, I would actually recommend it to those who don't feel comfortable creating a design from scratch, just remember to give the artist(s) credit and make sure the end design is only based on the reference(s) so as to avoid it looking directly copied.

Submitted by SHaRD on Sun, 17/08/03 - 11:28 PM Permalink

heh understandable :) im sure we as artist can understand that

Please dont hold and hard feelings against myself az. i did probobly sound harsher than i intended but i wanted to make sure you/anyone isnt using someone else's concepts

anyways GL I hope to see what you come up with, at least you entered hehe maybe i should think about it :D

Submitted by azmodai on Mon, 18/08/03 - 1:09 AM Permalink

Of course theres no hard feelings Shard, its good that you pointed it out now, before I spend another moment of time modelling up a character that would've been disqualified. I simply should've checked the sources of my sketches before deciding to use them.

I'll just have to use some creative talent and actually do my own concept this time ;)

Submitted by SHaRD on Mon, 18/08/03 - 4:31 AM Permalink

hehehe :)

great cant wait to see it

Submitted by azmodai on Mon, 18/08/03 - 6:10 AM Permalink

I sat down and did some sketching today, I've decided to go with this concept at the moment, as its in the same style as the last image ( I have a fondness for goth elves )

Chlonath, Bone Witch

Her story is that she was an adept elf soceress, but dabbled in the wrong arts, made a few mistakes and managed to kill someone with her magical stupdity. Of course people found out, and decided she was to die for her crimes.

To avoid her death, she made a pact with the once-long-thought-dead skeleton god, to grant her powers to defeat her new found enemies and survive.

Her pact came at a price though, the skeleton god deformed and twisted her body and mind, transforming her arm into skeleton bone, animated only through dark powers, bone spires grew from her back. The skeleton god was not satisfied with transforming her body, but also perverted her mind, turning her mind to that of near pure evil.

Now, Clonath's only goal is to please her god, as the sole figurehead of the skeleton god, she brings death and worse to the dead gods enemies.

The base line art
[img]http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/azmodai/sumea/1base.jpg[/img]

A sample colouring
[img]http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/azmodai/sumea/1.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 18/08/03 - 6:28 AM Permalink

now that looks better AZMODAI [:)] i hope i didnt offend u too on my post [:)]

like to see her modelled [:)].....

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 18/08/03 - 7:13 AM Permalink

I actually like this concept better anyway. :)

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 18/08/03 - 9:18 AM Permalink

I agree with Malus, I think this concept is actually better. Good stuff :)

Submitted by azmodai on Thu, 18/09/03 - 11:10 AM Permalink

It has been a while since i've posted. due to real life (tm) obligations and decidely unfriendly internet connections.

However, my bone witch has been worked on Chlonath - my bone witch. I've just finished putting some touches on the model, and i'm going to add a few more triangles to her face before texturing her up, hopefully still in time to participate in this contest.

some ( pretty much final ) in-progress shots. I'm currently sitting on a healthy 3457 triangles so far.

A 4panel shot.
[img]http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/azmodai/sumea/bonewitch_4panel.jpg[/img]

A boring pose.
[img]http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/azmodai/sumea/finalbuild.jpg[/img]

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 18/09/03 - 11:23 AM Permalink

looks great, but still realising she is a bone witch and the skinny face fits that concept, in the drawings it was much of a shorter cute face.... any thoughs about trying to have a shorter face like in the concept?

Submitted by azmodai on Thu, 18/09/03 - 11:48 AM Permalink

it was considered, but considering her height, it would probably look consderiably out of place, i've somewhat extended the concept into a more narrow face, as when the texture rocks around, I want her to look deathly pale and tight skinned, looking close to death, of course, which should play out well in her lighter complexion.

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 18/09/03 - 10:00 PM Permalink

Cool. I really like this concept (and bio).

Just one suggestion; i think she could do without her feet. If you removed the feet and lowered the rest of the model, i think it would suit better.

Just a thought...

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 18/09/03 - 10:38 PM Permalink

I kinda like the feet, although I'd size them down to make them look a little more feminine. Are you going to try and re-produce the purple fire around the arm in your concept?

Posted by azmodai on

Just announcing that I'll be partaking in this competition. I'm not amazing at concepts or modelling, but there is only one way to learn, by doing the work.

Being a old D&D player, I wanted to do somethinge elfish and of course, evil. This is Rae`Nar, Dark Elf Sorceress

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 04/08/03 - 7:08 PM Permalink

About time a female, Nice work, but i think the face would have a hard time in 3D. Also the lowwer legs look to be a little fat.

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 04/08/03 - 9:52 PM Permalink

Nice work there! Good to see someone picked a female character. I like the staff [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 04/08/03 - 11:08 PM Permalink

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 05/08/03 - 12:01 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

I'd just like to add that my demon is asexual (it's not like you can see under the human loincloth, is it?)

Cool concept in the 'Elvira' vein of things. Her legs are quite chunky in comparison to her waist and upper body.

I like the costume, 'tiara' and staff. A nice gothic feel.

Submitted by azmodai on Thu, 07/08/03 - 11:57 PM Permalink

Her legs will be toned down when I start drawing out the guides to model her, thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated

Submitted by SHaRD on Sat, 16/08/03 - 3:58 AM Permalink

I hope using someone elses concepts isnt breaking the comp. rules becuase if it does you failed miserably

i take you you play dark elfs in warhammer fantasy?

please design your *Own* Idea instead of ripping off concept art from the dark elf armys book

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 16/08/03 - 4:58 AM Permalink

oh harshness !!!! i rekon provide evidence before accusing him ? [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 16/08/03 - 9:44 AM Permalink

azmodai:

Ok first up, the thread says no fan art models so you'd have to do a new concept to be elligable to enter.

Secondly you stated it was your concept, I'm not going to say you tried to openly lie but you might want to be careful with things like that as artist generally don't take kindly to plagarists, infact they tend to skin them alive.

So if you still want to be involved in this challenge please remove that image or at the very least only use it only as a reference to create some thing original and give the artist who did do it the credit they deserve, better yet make sure they give you permission to use it.

People lets just remember that others work hard on building a name for themselves with their art and taking shortcuts and lying will only hurt your chances in the end.

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 16/08/03 - 10:41 AM Permalink

THANKX shard enough evidence there thank u [:D]

yeah suggest u either come up with a new concept just like malus said ur hurting yourself.......

Submitted by SHaRD on Sat, 16/08/03 - 8:07 PM Permalink

im suprised no one else picked it up actually

as you said above, "but there is only one way to learn, by doing the work."

so come up with your own design and do the work

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 16/08/03 - 8:36 PM Permalink

Shard: There are so many concepts out there its hard to know who did what but thanks for being vigilant on this occassion, it shows someone, somewhere will know if you try and pull a swifty.

I'd just like to give Azmodai a chance to explain himself before we tear him apart though ok.

Hopefully he will do the right thing, plagarism of an artists work isn't just immoral its highly illegal, hes lucky you found it and not the author.

Submitted by SHaRD on Sun, 17/08/03 - 3:03 AM Permalink

heh im probobly sounding harsher than i actually feel

but yeh, definately give a chance, he wants to learn and we all make mistakes

Submitted by souri on Sun, 17/08/03 - 5:37 AM Permalink

Let's not get into a whole character assassination on someone in the forum, and move on from here. Azmodai, you're more than welcome to come up with a new original concept and take part in the challenge. I know that everyone isn't quite as adept at concepts, and it's ok to draw influence from other designs, but that concept borrows a bit too much from the original.

Submitted by azmodai on Sun, 17/08/03 - 8:43 AM Permalink

Christ, I had forgotten completley about that.

To explain, I have a dozen or so sketchbooks from long ago ( 3 or 4 years ago), while looking for a concept, I took a trip though some old sketchbooks of mine, and came across the image in an line art form which I now realise I must've copied from that book.

Not being a player of the warhammer fantasy battle game, I couldn't remember if and where that image had been taken from, and the image being in my sketchbook, I wasn't thinking that I would have done a direct copy of the image, which is why I figured I'd use it. ( I really should check all those old sketches of mine someday )

Of course, when SHaRD posted that picture, its pretty obvious where I took that picture from, some years ago.

So I apologise to you all, It wasn't intentional by any means, just a minor screwup brought about by a lack of creative thought when I was searching for images to work with.

It shall be removed

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 17/08/03 - 9:38 AM Permalink

yuppers.. easy mistake to make.. i'm sure everyone has re-created something before as an artsy thing..

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 17/08/03 - 10:09 AM Permalink

Azmodai: Thanks for clearing that up and I look forward to your concept.

Well at least its highlighted how important it is to be honest and careful about what you post.

As Souri said using other peoples work as creative references is fine in this challenge, I would actually recommend it to those who don't feel comfortable creating a design from scratch, just remember to give the artist(s) credit and make sure the end design is only based on the reference(s) so as to avoid it looking directly copied.

Submitted by SHaRD on Sun, 17/08/03 - 11:28 PM Permalink

heh understandable :) im sure we as artist can understand that

Please dont hold and hard feelings against myself az. i did probobly sound harsher than i intended but i wanted to make sure you/anyone isnt using someone else's concepts

anyways GL I hope to see what you come up with, at least you entered hehe maybe i should think about it :D

Submitted by azmodai on Mon, 18/08/03 - 1:09 AM Permalink

Of course theres no hard feelings Shard, its good that you pointed it out now, before I spend another moment of time modelling up a character that would've been disqualified. I simply should've checked the sources of my sketches before deciding to use them.

I'll just have to use some creative talent and actually do my own concept this time ;)

Submitted by SHaRD on Mon, 18/08/03 - 4:31 AM Permalink

hehehe :)

great cant wait to see it

Submitted by azmodai on Mon, 18/08/03 - 6:10 AM Permalink

I sat down and did some sketching today, I've decided to go with this concept at the moment, as its in the same style as the last image ( I have a fondness for goth elves )

Chlonath, Bone Witch

Her story is that she was an adept elf soceress, but dabbled in the wrong arts, made a few mistakes and managed to kill someone with her magical stupdity. Of course people found out, and decided she was to die for her crimes.

To avoid her death, she made a pact with the once-long-thought-dead skeleton god, to grant her powers to defeat her new found enemies and survive.

Her pact came at a price though, the skeleton god deformed and twisted her body and mind, transforming her arm into skeleton bone, animated only through dark powers, bone spires grew from her back. The skeleton god was not satisfied with transforming her body, but also perverted her mind, turning her mind to that of near pure evil.

Now, Clonath's only goal is to please her god, as the sole figurehead of the skeleton god, she brings death and worse to the dead gods enemies.

The base line art
[img]http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/azmodai/sumea/1base.jpg[/img]

A sample colouring
[img]http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/azmodai/sumea/1.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 18/08/03 - 6:28 AM Permalink

now that looks better AZMODAI [:)] i hope i didnt offend u too on my post [:)]

like to see her modelled [:)].....

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 18/08/03 - 7:13 AM Permalink

I actually like this concept better anyway. :)

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 18/08/03 - 9:18 AM Permalink

I agree with Malus, I think this concept is actually better. Good stuff :)

Submitted by azmodai on Thu, 18/09/03 - 11:10 AM Permalink

It has been a while since i've posted. due to real life (tm) obligations and decidely unfriendly internet connections.

However, my bone witch has been worked on Chlonath - my bone witch. I've just finished putting some touches on the model, and i'm going to add a few more triangles to her face before texturing her up, hopefully still in time to participate in this contest.

some ( pretty much final ) in-progress shots. I'm currently sitting on a healthy 3457 triangles so far.

A 4panel shot.
[img]http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/azmodai/sumea/bonewitch_4panel.jpg[/img]

A boring pose.
[img]http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/azmodai/sumea/finalbuild.jpg[/img]

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 18/09/03 - 11:23 AM Permalink

looks great, but still realising she is a bone witch and the skinny face fits that concept, in the drawings it was much of a shorter cute face.... any thoughs about trying to have a shorter face like in the concept?

Submitted by azmodai on Thu, 18/09/03 - 11:48 AM Permalink

it was considered, but considering her height, it would probably look consderiably out of place, i've somewhat extended the concept into a more narrow face, as when the texture rocks around, I want her to look deathly pale and tight skinned, looking close to death, of course, which should play out well in her lighter complexion.

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 18/09/03 - 10:00 PM Permalink

Cool. I really like this concept (and bio).

Just one suggestion; i think she could do without her feet. If you removed the feet and lowered the rest of the model, i think it would suit better.

Just a thought...

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 18/09/03 - 10:38 PM Permalink

I kinda like the feet, although I'd size them down to make them look a little more feminine. Are you going to try and re-produce the purple fire around the arm in your concept?