Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #7 - UniqueSnowFlake

Morning,

Don't have time to get myself a concept done, So just thought I'd start on Curtins concept.

Started yesterday afternoon, This is how far I got. Wanted to post 360 but render sizes were too big [:X]

Anyways heres my start:

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/UniqueSnowFlake/20054319410_USF_…]

question to curtin: In your back concept you have a metal plate on his belt near his lower back. This isn't on your side concept so just wondering which way you are going with this.

Submitted by Nibbles on Tue, 05/04/05 - 12:43 AM Permalink

yeah, curtin said that he stuffed up there, the back plate should be on the side drawing too but he forgot it i was talking to him on friday or was it thursday and he did mentioned that to me ( i was going to model one of his characters guess ill do one of the others then or one of my own seeing as your doing a fine job of this one)
oh and sorry curtin for answering for you.... :)
NIBBLES

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 05/04/05 - 4:51 AM Permalink

Really nice, keep it up. How many polygons is that at the moment?

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 05/04/05 - 6:05 AM Permalink

awesome work so far, its very close to the concept. nothing much to crit other than there's a very deep cut in the shoulder which looks a bit odd, im not sure if its intentional though. keep it up, im looking forward to more.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 05/04/05 - 8:32 AM Permalink

Off to a good start :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 05/04/05 - 9:17 AM Permalink

wooOOoow curtins stuff looks even better in 3d, looking forward to the progression of this model

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 07/04/05 - 12:18 AM Permalink

Thanks for all your comments so far.

First off to Curtin, thanks for the great concept been fun so far. Down the road try and think about what engine you are designing to and if things would work when they are put into 3D. What I mean is that the arm join wouldn't work at all so I had to design that but trying to keep it as close as your concept. I won't be adding the cape because I don't see it technically possible in UT2004.

Conundrum: As you said I was following the concept and yeah, in the concept the shoulders were that kind of shape so I followed it. So it was intentional [8D]

Now Joel.. [:p] I am following a concept I'm not sure if you have seen it before you posted. I'm not totally blind I have seen a shoulder before, I do belive I have 1 or maybe 2 [:p] Either way this whole guys body is pretty random. Don't evern get me started about his face proportions [:X]

Major Pecs signing off. [8]

Submitted by curtin on Thu, 07/04/05 - 5:08 AM Permalink

I got a bit turned around with your answers to the last post. If you're changing the concept because you'd just like to tweak it, or for technical reasons that of course is totally cool with me.

Just in case there is any confusion though - the left (organic)shoulder on that guy is basically a rough ball that curves outwards. The armpit faces downward rather than forward. There isn't a deep cut. Again I don't know if i'm getting everyone's questions wrong here - sorry if I am.

And because the original concept had a cape, the upper chest is armour/clothing rather than musculature - so that may throw some people off. Just something to factor in if you want to ditch the cloak.

Its your own model though, so feel to reinterpret anything I throw up :)

Submitted by Lechy on Sat, 09/04/05 - 7:34 AM Permalink

the model is looking pretty cool. But whether or not you were following the concept, the left shoulder is still way off and is detracting from an overall good looking model. cheers.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Mon, 11/04/05 - 3:53 AM Permalink

And the I's have it!
Made a fix for the arm which I hope will work.
Won't be a post for now, I was just wondering if Curtin could design the gun for this guy so I can get it modelled before my next post [:D]

Cheers

Submitted by curtin on Wed, 13/04/05 - 1:15 AM Permalink

I will go back and do model sheets for all the weapons I've put in the concepts, but I have to finish the heavy soldier and demololitions character model sheets first as I know there are some people that are waiting for them before they can start.

sorry - I hope this doesn't put you out too much.

c.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 13/04/05 - 4:45 AM Permalink

Looking good. Though I do think you should listen to Joel about your shoulder and arm piece. He has years of industry experience under his belt and I think that his suggestions should be considered. No matter what the concept says, you should always have the basic rule of proportions and muscular flow in mind, because it WILL make your model look amature.

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 13/04/05 - 5:23 AM Permalink

And you shouldn?t so easily dismiss advice from someone trying to offer expert support to the challenge ? that?ll only discourage them from helping other challengers.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Wed, 13/04/05 - 8:13 AM Permalink

A. I didn't dismiss it
B. I did listen just hasn't been posted.

As for the comments to Joel, I would think he knows me well enough that I like to have a joke so everyone else don't take it the wrong way I'm not out to dis anyone.

So everyone just relax and enjoy yourself!

Peace [}:)]

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Wed, 13/04/05 - 8:27 PM Permalink

Wow quick as, your a champ Curtin. [:D]

Should be posting soonish then, if not, then on the weekend. [8)]

Submitted by curtin on Thu, 14/04/05 - 9:50 PM Permalink

wow that looks great.

really the only suggestion i would make is to round off the edges on the handle/grip.

very cool.

Submitted by curtin on Fri, 15/04/05 - 12:45 AM Permalink

Originally I saw the top part of the main piece of the gun (the bit that connects to the scope mount) as curved - so that the main piece was an arch with a square bottom. And the piece that connects the main gun section with the barrel was a cylinder (like the ring just near it).

But I kinda like what you have done there already so I wouldn't bother changing it - I think it looks great just how it is.

good work.

c.

Submitted by DamienP on Sat, 16/04/05 - 7:46 AM Permalink

Awesome man. Great concepts by Curtin, really original designs and the models so far are perfect, should be a great entry when it's all textured.

Submitted by 3DArty on Mon, 18/04/05 - 2:11 PM Permalink

Nice Work plenty of shape and tone in this one. And the gun looks cool too. well done

Morning,

Don't have time to get myself a concept done, So just thought I'd start on Curtins concept.

Started yesterday afternoon, This is how far I got. Wanted to post 360 but render sizes were too big [:X]

Anyways heres my start:

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/UniqueSnowFlake/20054319410_USF_…]

question to curtin: In your back concept you have a metal plate on his belt near his lower back. This isn't on your side concept so just wondering which way you are going with this.

Submitted by Nibbles on Tue, 05/04/05 - 12:43 AM Permalink

yeah, curtin said that he stuffed up there, the back plate should be on the side drawing too but he forgot it i was talking to him on friday or was it thursday and he did mentioned that to me ( i was going to model one of his characters guess ill do one of the others then or one of my own seeing as your doing a fine job of this one)
oh and sorry curtin for answering for you.... :)
NIBBLES

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 05/04/05 - 4:51 AM Permalink

Really nice, keep it up. How many polygons is that at the moment?

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 05/04/05 - 6:05 AM Permalink

awesome work so far, its very close to the concept. nothing much to crit other than there's a very deep cut in the shoulder which looks a bit odd, im not sure if its intentional though. keep it up, im looking forward to more.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 05/04/05 - 8:32 AM Permalink

Off to a good start :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 05/04/05 - 9:17 AM Permalink

wooOOoow curtins stuff looks even better in 3d, looking forward to the progression of this model

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 07/04/05 - 12:18 AM Permalink

Thanks for all your comments so far.

First off to Curtin, thanks for the great concept been fun so far. Down the road try and think about what engine you are designing to and if things would work when they are put into 3D. What I mean is that the arm join wouldn't work at all so I had to design that but trying to keep it as close as your concept. I won't be adding the cape because I don't see it technically possible in UT2004.

Conundrum: As you said I was following the concept and yeah, in the concept the shoulders were that kind of shape so I followed it. So it was intentional [8D]

Now Joel.. [:p] I am following a concept I'm not sure if you have seen it before you posted. I'm not totally blind I have seen a shoulder before, I do belive I have 1 or maybe 2 [:p] Either way this whole guys body is pretty random. Don't evern get me started about his face proportions [:X]

Major Pecs signing off. [8]

Submitted by curtin on Thu, 07/04/05 - 5:08 AM Permalink

I got a bit turned around with your answers to the last post. If you're changing the concept because you'd just like to tweak it, or for technical reasons that of course is totally cool with me.

Just in case there is any confusion though - the left (organic)shoulder on that guy is basically a rough ball that curves outwards. The armpit faces downward rather than forward. There isn't a deep cut. Again I don't know if i'm getting everyone's questions wrong here - sorry if I am.

And because the original concept had a cape, the upper chest is armour/clothing rather than musculature - so that may throw some people off. Just something to factor in if you want to ditch the cloak.

Its your own model though, so feel to reinterpret anything I throw up :)

Submitted by Lechy on Sat, 09/04/05 - 7:34 AM Permalink

the model is looking pretty cool. But whether or not you were following the concept, the left shoulder is still way off and is detracting from an overall good looking model. cheers.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Mon, 11/04/05 - 3:53 AM Permalink

And the I's have it!
Made a fix for the arm which I hope will work.
Won't be a post for now, I was just wondering if Curtin could design the gun for this guy so I can get it modelled before my next post [:D]

Cheers

Submitted by curtin on Wed, 13/04/05 - 1:15 AM Permalink

I will go back and do model sheets for all the weapons I've put in the concepts, but I have to finish the heavy soldier and demololitions character model sheets first as I know there are some people that are waiting for them before they can start.

sorry - I hope this doesn't put you out too much.

c.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 13/04/05 - 4:45 AM Permalink

Looking good. Though I do think you should listen to Joel about your shoulder and arm piece. He has years of industry experience under his belt and I think that his suggestions should be considered. No matter what the concept says, you should always have the basic rule of proportions and muscular flow in mind, because it WILL make your model look amature.

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 13/04/05 - 5:23 AM Permalink

And you shouldn?t so easily dismiss advice from someone trying to offer expert support to the challenge ? that?ll only discourage them from helping other challengers.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Wed, 13/04/05 - 8:13 AM Permalink

A. I didn't dismiss it
B. I did listen just hasn't been posted.

As for the comments to Joel, I would think he knows me well enough that I like to have a joke so everyone else don't take it the wrong way I'm not out to dis anyone.

So everyone just relax and enjoy yourself!

Peace [}:)]

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Wed, 13/04/05 - 8:27 PM Permalink

Wow quick as, your a champ Curtin. [:D]

Should be posting soonish then, if not, then on the weekend. [8)]

Submitted by curtin on Thu, 14/04/05 - 9:50 PM Permalink

wow that looks great.

really the only suggestion i would make is to round off the edges on the handle/grip.

very cool.

Submitted by curtin on Fri, 15/04/05 - 12:45 AM Permalink

Originally I saw the top part of the main piece of the gun (the bit that connects to the scope mount) as curved - so that the main piece was an arch with a square bottom. And the piece that connects the main gun section with the barrel was a cylinder (like the ring just near it).

But I kinda like what you have done there already so I wouldn't bother changing it - I think it looks great just how it is.

good work.

c.

Submitted by DamienP on Sat, 16/04/05 - 7:46 AM Permalink

Awesome man. Great concepts by Curtin, really original designs and the models so far are perfect, should be a great entry when it's all textured.

Submitted by 3DArty on Mon, 18/04/05 - 2:11 PM Permalink

Nice Work plenty of shape and tone in this one. And the gun looks cool too. well done