Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #7 - Codyalday - Challenger #15

Submitted by codyalday on

Going to participate in this, first time as well. This is good to test myself on a time limit. I havn't thought of a concept yet, but I will these following days.

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 07/04/05 - 9:55 PM Permalink

Got my character concept, but I have to install the scanner on my brother's computer as my CD Player doesn't work. I am doing a female covert class, with speed and agility as its main advantage.

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 09/04/05 - 10:51 AM Permalink

Finally my brother let me install the scanner on his computer, so here it is. I had to scan it twice as the size of the paper was too large for the scanner, and the quality is not that good, though I am quite happy with it.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/429_Cody_Covert2L.jpg[/img]

The face and the left arm need some work, so I will probally change and add some things in the modeling stage.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 10/04/05 - 10:50 PM Permalink

Reminds me of the Joan of arc tutorial!

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 11/04/05 - 1:11 AM Permalink

ooh, joan of arc tutorial eh, we have a noobie :) post lots of progress pics and listen to what everyone has to say - you should get a LOT out of a comp like this.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Tue, 12/04/05 - 7:35 AM Permalink

I'm curious, is the character going to be female or male? Cause in the concept it looks male but the model has a femininity to it.

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 12/04/05 - 9:39 AM Permalink

Going to be female, the concept was done fairly quickly, so the anatomy wasn't too good.

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 22/04/05 - 3:04 AM Permalink

Done some more to my model, still very unsure how I am going to do the head, helmet, strap with mask, hairstyles, so I will probally model the head with a new hair style and a helmet. The little radio thing can paint a target or area so that a heavy character can shoot and it will go to the painted place, maybe. Around 2600 tris at the moment. Comments and crits appreciated.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/codyalday/20054213441_Covert06.j…]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 30/04/05 - 8:13 AM Permalink

From a technical standing one thing that needs to be fixed up is all of your 5 sided polys you have on your character and also the gun. Simply cut where you want a line between two existing vertices and you'll be fine (don't worry it won't add any polys). Actually I can only see two on your character around the torso area, but there's a fair few on the gun.

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 30/04/05 - 9:37 AM Permalink

Yeah, thankaz for that Wizenedoldman, didn't really notice that. Will make those edges visible soon.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 30/04/05 - 10:29 AM Permalink

How are you going to implement the transition between the flesh and the robotic arm?

I just realised what that gun reminds me of, it's my PSone lightgun for point blank!

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 30/04/05 - 11:47 AM Permalink

Not really sure there yet, I will see how I go when I get to nearly finishing off the model.

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 01/05/05 - 3:21 AM Permalink

I can't help much from a technical point, but from the back it looks like the models behind is sagging a little. It was too hard to explain so I took a leaf out of joels book and drew over your image, hope you don't mind.

[img]codyalday_touchup.jpg[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/200543031936_codyalday_tou…"]codyalday_touchup.jpg[/url]
50.61 KB

Submitted by codyalday on Sun, 01/05/05 - 5:24 AM Permalink

Thankaz for that picture, that is going to help heaps. Will get to work on it soon.

Submitted by popawheelie on Tue, 03/05/05 - 9:15 PM Permalink

it maybe just me, but the proporions of the head/temple area are a bit wide too, other than that good job :)

Submitted by Kezza on Mon, 09/05/05 - 3:30 AM Permalink

With hair modelling i suggest you take a look at the female models that ship with ut. Some of the models use few polygons to make quite a realistic looking hair effect.

Submitted by puck on Wed, 11/05/05 - 6:50 PM Permalink

Yeah, your using alot of tri's in that hair, and although it does look cool, you might possibly be able to do it just as well with flat alpha mapped planes as in the image below.

[img]http://users.tpg.com.au/edwarddv/hairexample.jpg [/img]

Looking very good so far codyalday, wouldn't it be nice if you could deck her out with those cool female assasin jumping animations from halflife 1. [:D]

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 12/05/05 - 5:18 AM Permalink

That wire shot is going to help heaps, thankaz puck. Is it just the head with extruded edges with the faces facing forward?

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 12/05/05 - 6:45 AM Permalink

the hair planes on that model are seperates elements, if that's what you mean

Submitted by puck on Thu, 12/05/05 - 9:59 AM Permalink

Yeah, you should have a look at the ut models (free to download from fileplanet in 3dsmax form), they have heaps of completely seperate peices. No need to attach spikes and extras to the mesh by aligning edges and welding verticies, just have them separate and hovering on the surface or just inside. (as long as the skinning moves it all together it should work fine)

Have a look at this UDN guide about what is and isn't allowed when modelling for unreal.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealModeling

Submitted by pk on Sat, 21/05/05 - 12:29 AM Permalink

Hi Puck, i just had a quick look at the UT info, cheers for the reference, I'll have a good look at it b4 I continue on my model!

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 12/06/05 - 1:35 AM Permalink

Yeah, unwrapping?s a bitch, eh? Definitely the part I like the least..
Anyway, looks like you did a good job of it. Can?t see any distortion on the model, and the uv?s are packed nice and tight. Only crit is that the right map still has some room that could have been used, but all in all it looks like a good unwrap.
Hope the texturing goes well. [:)]

Posted by codyalday on

Going to participate in this, first time as well. This is good to test myself on a time limit. I havn't thought of a concept yet, but I will these following days.

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 07/04/05 - 9:55 PM Permalink

Got my character concept, but I have to install the scanner on my brother's computer as my CD Player doesn't work. I am doing a female covert class, with speed and agility as its main advantage.

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 09/04/05 - 10:51 AM Permalink

Finally my brother let me install the scanner on his computer, so here it is. I had to scan it twice as the size of the paper was too large for the scanner, and the quality is not that good, though I am quite happy with it.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/429_Cody_Covert2L.jpg[/img]

The face and the left arm need some work, so I will probally change and add some things in the modeling stage.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 10/04/05 - 10:50 PM Permalink

Reminds me of the Joan of arc tutorial!

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 11/04/05 - 1:11 AM Permalink

ooh, joan of arc tutorial eh, we have a noobie :) post lots of progress pics and listen to what everyone has to say - you should get a LOT out of a comp like this.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Tue, 12/04/05 - 7:35 AM Permalink

I'm curious, is the character going to be female or male? Cause in the concept it looks male but the model has a femininity to it.

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 12/04/05 - 9:39 AM Permalink

Going to be female, the concept was done fairly quickly, so the anatomy wasn't too good.

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 22/04/05 - 3:04 AM Permalink

Done some more to my model, still very unsure how I am going to do the head, helmet, strap with mask, hairstyles, so I will probally model the head with a new hair style and a helmet. The little radio thing can paint a target or area so that a heavy character can shoot and it will go to the painted place, maybe. Around 2600 tris at the moment. Comments and crits appreciated.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/codyalday/20054213441_Covert06.j…]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 30/04/05 - 8:13 AM Permalink

From a technical standing one thing that needs to be fixed up is all of your 5 sided polys you have on your character and also the gun. Simply cut where you want a line between two existing vertices and you'll be fine (don't worry it won't add any polys). Actually I can only see two on your character around the torso area, but there's a fair few on the gun.

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 30/04/05 - 9:37 AM Permalink

Yeah, thankaz for that Wizenedoldman, didn't really notice that. Will make those edges visible soon.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 30/04/05 - 10:29 AM Permalink

How are you going to implement the transition between the flesh and the robotic arm?

I just realised what that gun reminds me of, it's my PSone lightgun for point blank!

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 30/04/05 - 11:47 AM Permalink

Not really sure there yet, I will see how I go when I get to nearly finishing off the model.

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 01/05/05 - 3:21 AM Permalink

I can't help much from a technical point, but from the back it looks like the models behind is sagging a little. It was too hard to explain so I took a leaf out of joels book and drew over your image, hope you don't mind.

[img]codyalday_touchup.jpg[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/200543031936_codyalday_tou…"]codyalday_touchup.jpg[/url]
50.61 KB

Submitted by codyalday on Sun, 01/05/05 - 5:24 AM Permalink

Thankaz for that picture, that is going to help heaps. Will get to work on it soon.

Submitted by popawheelie on Tue, 03/05/05 - 9:15 PM Permalink

it maybe just me, but the proporions of the head/temple area are a bit wide too, other than that good job :)

Submitted by Kezza on Mon, 09/05/05 - 3:30 AM Permalink

With hair modelling i suggest you take a look at the female models that ship with ut. Some of the models use few polygons to make quite a realistic looking hair effect.

Submitted by puck on Wed, 11/05/05 - 6:50 PM Permalink

Yeah, your using alot of tri's in that hair, and although it does look cool, you might possibly be able to do it just as well with flat alpha mapped planes as in the image below.

[img]http://users.tpg.com.au/edwarddv/hairexample.jpg [/img]

Looking very good so far codyalday, wouldn't it be nice if you could deck her out with those cool female assasin jumping animations from halflife 1. [:D]

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 12/05/05 - 5:18 AM Permalink

That wire shot is going to help heaps, thankaz puck. Is it just the head with extruded edges with the faces facing forward?

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 12/05/05 - 6:45 AM Permalink

the hair planes on that model are seperates elements, if that's what you mean

Submitted by puck on Thu, 12/05/05 - 9:59 AM Permalink

Yeah, you should have a look at the ut models (free to download from fileplanet in 3dsmax form), they have heaps of completely seperate peices. No need to attach spikes and extras to the mesh by aligning edges and welding verticies, just have them separate and hovering on the surface or just inside. (as long as the skinning moves it all together it should work fine)

Have a look at this UDN guide about what is and isn't allowed when modelling for unreal.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealModeling

Submitted by pk on Sat, 21/05/05 - 12:29 AM Permalink

Hi Puck, i just had a quick look at the UT info, cheers for the reference, I'll have a good look at it b4 I continue on my model!

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 12/06/05 - 1:35 AM Permalink

Yeah, unwrapping?s a bitch, eh? Definitely the part I like the least..
Anyway, looks like you did a good job of it. Can?t see any distortion on the model, and the uv?s are packed nice and tight. Only crit is that the right map still has some room that could have been used, but all in all it looks like a good unwrap.
Hope the texturing goes well. [:)]