Skip to main content

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Leaked...

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I know a lot of you are looking forward to Stalker - it's definately in my list of titles I'm eagerly waiting for (the other two being Doom3 and Half Life 2, of course), but can you believe this news! Taken from a news post at http://doom3maps.ngz-network.de/comment.php?581 , it looks like an Alpha build has been leaked. I've translated it with Babel Fish, so it's very broken, but you can get the gist of it.

The rumors around a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Alpha were confirmed. The gel document version is approx. 118MB largely and contains several maps, opponents and weapons. The version is executable and looks breath-robbing well. Unfortunately we may not show you Screenshots or like. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. became thus like Doom3 or HalfLife 2 geleaked! If that a coincidence to be can?! From official side still no statement is present. - that this alpha version will find a way in or other hand of you is only a question of the time. Have fun!

Update: The presse-Chef of GSC Gameworld, Oleg Javorsky, expressed itself now personally to the occurrences. It confirmed that the videos and pictures are clearly illegaly provision width unit material. Unclear is to be found out, which further step are now introduced, over like the version in the InterNet to arrive could.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 04/01/04 - 10:40 PM Permalink

Bloody hell.. Someone teach these people how to secure their networks.. Sheesh.

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 05/01/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Well it's not as simple as that, in a targetted attack, a "fan" could simply just enclose a macro virus / trojan into their email and actually write a decent letter as well. Then when the programmer or lead or designer or someone on the team reads it they get the trojan in the system, and hence all network security is removed really.

And with a custom trojan virus used the virus detection utilities might not even pick it up.

Submitted by dom on Mon, 05/01/04 - 3:13 AM Permalink

Yeah, that kinda sux when you get targetted attacks. I guess the safest approach is to completely isolate the LAN (with the project on it) from the WAN.

On the upside, leaks do produce a lot of hype & publicity for the game developer.

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 05/01/04 - 5:20 AM Permalink

I'm not sure if it's the case here, but there is also the problem when developers send early builds to the press for "preview" articles. So it can be more difficult that just keeping the developers network secure, you have to either worry about anyone else you send it to (publishers, press).
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 05/01/04 - 7:49 AM Permalink

That's true. I'm pretty sure that Doom3 was leaked due to people at ATI. It is also the reason why Doom3 became an 'nVidia Powered Product'.

So fo really good security, you would need to have an isolated LAN. Don't make the game known to anyone. Should the game become known, don't trust anyone. Now where is the fun in that?

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 06/01/04 - 2:34 AM Permalink

hmmm..lets see...
a) wait in a line to download it for 8 hours. download 2gb. connect to slow crappy server to play alpha version of the game with probably 10-20 people. ...

option b) wait for final game to be released....

ill pick b.

[edit]500 posts - yay...and still dangerous. damn you souri for always increasing the ratings right before i get to deadly lol.

Posted by souri on
Forum

I know a lot of you are looking forward to Stalker - it's definately in my list of titles I'm eagerly waiting for (the other two being Doom3 and Half Life 2, of course), but can you believe this news! Taken from a news post at http://doom3maps.ngz-network.de/comment.php?581 , it looks like an Alpha build has been leaked. I've translated it with Babel Fish, so it's very broken, but you can get the gist of it.

The rumors around a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Alpha were confirmed. The gel document version is approx. 118MB largely and contains several maps, opponents and weapons. The version is executable and looks breath-robbing well. Unfortunately we may not show you Screenshots or like. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. became thus like Doom3 or HalfLife 2 geleaked! If that a coincidence to be can?! From official side still no statement is present. - that this alpha version will find a way in or other hand of you is only a question of the time. Have fun!

Update: The presse-Chef of GSC Gameworld, Oleg Javorsky, expressed itself now personally to the occurrences. It confirmed that the videos and pictures are clearly illegaly provision width unit material. Unclear is to be found out, which further step are now introduced, over like the version in the InterNet to arrive could.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 04/01/04 - 10:40 PM Permalink

Bloody hell.. Someone teach these people how to secure their networks.. Sheesh.

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 05/01/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Well it's not as simple as that, in a targetted attack, a "fan" could simply just enclose a macro virus / trojan into their email and actually write a decent letter as well. Then when the programmer or lead or designer or someone on the team reads it they get the trojan in the system, and hence all network security is removed really.

And with a custom trojan virus used the virus detection utilities might not even pick it up.

Submitted by dom on Mon, 05/01/04 - 3:13 AM Permalink

Yeah, that kinda sux when you get targetted attacks. I guess the safest approach is to completely isolate the LAN (with the project on it) from the WAN.

On the upside, leaks do produce a lot of hype & publicity for the game developer.

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 05/01/04 - 5:20 AM Permalink

I'm not sure if it's the case here, but there is also the problem when developers send early builds to the press for "preview" articles. So it can be more difficult that just keeping the developers network secure, you have to either worry about anyone else you send it to (publishers, press).
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 05/01/04 - 7:49 AM Permalink

That's true. I'm pretty sure that Doom3 was leaked due to people at ATI. It is also the reason why Doom3 became an 'nVidia Powered Product'.

So fo really good security, you would need to have an isolated LAN. Don't make the game known to anyone. Should the game become known, don't trust anyone. Now where is the fun in that?

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 06/01/04 - 2:34 AM Permalink

hmmm..lets see...
a) wait in a line to download it for 8 hours. download 2gb. connect to slow crappy server to play alpha version of the game with probably 10-20 people. ...

option b) wait for final game to be released....

ill pick b.

[edit]500 posts - yay...and still dangerous. damn you souri for always increasing the ratings right before i get to deadly lol.