Skip to main content

Sumea Modeller Challenge #9 - Happy_Virus

Just reserving my spot :) looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with... good luck to all competitiors:)
happy_virus2007-07-02 20:37:27

Submitted by happy virus on Wed, 04/07/07 - 8:03 AM Permalink

Demionosus

The New God Of War

I have decided to make my own god of war instead of picking an
existing greek god, e.g. 'Hades, Ares, etc..,' as I want to try and come up with
a completely original design. My god of goes by the name 'Demionosus'(pronouned
"dem-eye-o-nosis")> BAsically the story behind my character is that he was a
demon that escaped the underworld, whom wanted to overthrough Ares and
take Ares's places as god of war in order to wreak havoc and destroy
all factions across Greece.

I was aslo wondering if this character is within the guidelines, if not any
help towards making changes so that it can be accepted with the guidealines.

this is the first concept of my character, it is not finished but it is a start, the design style I am going for in my 'god of war model' is my own design and it's head is half goat half human. It will be in a full greek armour set but I will be modifying the armour to my own style in order ot keep it original. I wouldnt quite say it is a 'god of war' model yet atm it is more like a warlord, but then again the concept still needs to be built up and updated:)

happy_virus2007-07-22 22:44:07

Submitted by happy virus on Fri, 06/07/07 - 9:15 AM Permalink

this is the next updated concept I have for it, any suggestions on how it can be improved just give me a buzz.

happy_virus2007-07-06 20:27:43

Submitted by happy virus on Sat, 07/07/07 - 11:14 AM Permalink

This is the first concept for my shield and swords. Inspiration of the shape of the sword was taken from the greek Hoplite and as well as Achilles' sword. The Design on the sword was my own.

The Shield's shape is based on Achilles' shield and again the design is my own.

Submitted by Killa Dee on Sat, 07/07/07 - 2:06 PM Permalink

Looks like your off to a solid start virus. It would be great to see some small black and white thumbnail images of your entire character. Keep up the good work.

Submitted by happy virus on Mon, 09/07/07 - 6:40 AM Permalink

This is full body concept of my character and some earlier ones collaging around it.

I have also posted a concept of the character from front, side and back views. I will be later posting these two as textured photoshop versions with the 3/4 full body model being a teaser concept. I was thinking of adding deomn wings on the character, but then I thought maybe it would start moving into a monster design and falling out of the guidlines. If anyone thinks it stilll maybe possible to ad wings on my God of war dude just send me a buzz

Also any helpful crits to extend my idea dont hesitate to post them

happy_virus2007-07-08 20:53:39

Submitted by happy virus on Sat, 14/07/07 - 5:30 AM Permalink

I have done the final poses for this character, now Im gonna start modelling, as well as the finished shiled design. Im going to leave myself these 4 months for textures so that I have enough time to make an excellent texture job for my character.

As u all might notice, I have changed the design of the shoulder guards and that is because I wanted them to look more badass. His body has also been bulked up a bit.

Ill Put one in each post to make it easier.

Shield

happy_virus2007-07-13 19:31:20

Submitted by happy virus on Sat, 14/07/07 - 5:32 AM Permalink

This pose shows the final cocept skect of the character from 3/4 view.

Final Fullbody

Submitted by happy virus on Sat, 14/07/07 - 5:33 AM Permalink

And Finally, this is the fullbody Concepts from all four views.

I have kept some of the areas on the concept untextured, e.g. from the rear view of the character he has a cape on so I decided not to go nuts with the drawing there.

Final Pose from Front, 3/4, Side and Back
happy_virus2007-07-13 19:35:41

Submitted by Vlad on Sat, 14/07/07 - 1:02 PM Permalink

loving the new shoulder pads

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 17/07/07 - 2:24 AM Permalink

cheers hope Im allowed to use them in the armour piece tho

Also will be posting my first WIP shot of my model. So far, atm it is around 2800tri's which means I still have a lot of tris left to eork with, so every1 stay tuned soon .

Also once WIP is added, as usual any crits on how to make it better please post them happy_virus2007-07-16 16:32:34

Submitted by Gogitason on Tue, 17/07/07 - 4:37 PM Permalink

Very nice Happy_Virus. The only crit I have at the moment is that he will be a bit restricted when lifting his arms...

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 17/07/07 - 5:44 PM Permalink

yeh I might have to alter them a bit, thanks for the comments , might also do a test rig to see how far I can get the shoulders to raise.

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 17/07/07 - 5:49 PM Permalink

I have a few WIPS of the model so far, 2 were taken yesterday and the other 2 were taken today

Here are the 2 I took yesterday:             

For the other 2 Ill make another post in order to keep all images neat.

These were the first WIPS before I had changed a few things and as well as updated the model. One change which might easily be noticed if u look closely in the newer WIPS is that the horns are much neater and more believable than be4, also some smaller changes whould be the face shape is more gaunt now.happy_virus2007-07-17 08:06:14

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 17/07/07 - 5:58 PM Permalink

These are the other 2
Here are the 2 I did today

As for the shoulders piece what I could do is maybe tilt them back so that the shoulder pieces go behind his neck which might allow more raising of the arms, but as stated I cannot tell this without doing a test rig.

These are still very WIP and the proportions are still quite incorrect but I guess it is a start happy_virus2007-07-17 08:01:37

Submitted by happy virus on Thu, 26/07/07 - 11:09 AM Permalink

I have 2 new WIPS to show of my model, he is starting to kick into the high 5000 poly mark anyone got any ideas on what I can do to make this less just post a reply.

This is a major update 4 me coz my model is nearly ready for normal maps

Submitted by sebp on Tue, 31/07/07 - 10:18 AM Permalink

Man this looks crazy good! nice mesh flow

Submitted by happy virus on Mon, 20/08/07 - 10:25 AM Permalink

This is a WIP of my Normal and Specular map, I am actually not happy with it at all and atm it looks reallly bad.   I will post it anyway as an intial idea and If anyone has suggestions on how I can get it looking good just chuck me some crits.

Submitted by Neffy on Mon, 20/08/07 - 10:54 AM Permalink

Keep at it ! the face is looking pretty amazing I love the wavey shape of the horns. Some areas look a tad too round, like the feet, spikes coming of the leg and cape you prob still working on them tho ^_^

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 20/08/07 - 11:00 AM Permalink

you have been very busy great work!

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 21/08/07 - 1:30 AM Permalink

Atm I am actually reworking the normal map, as for the strange cape that is just 3dsMAX's smoothing groups, this is not a Hi-RES model, tis mearly the character mesh smoothed with the normal map on it. The only6 reason I had the mesh smooth was to see the details betta.

None the less I am still reworking the normal map in Zbrush and well see what I can come up with . Btw thanks for the comments

Just reserving my spot :) looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with... good luck to all competitiors:)
happy_virus2007-07-02 20:37:27

Submitted by happy virus on Wed, 04/07/07 - 8:03 AM Permalink

Demionosus

The New God Of War

I have decided to make my own god of war instead of picking an
existing greek god, e.g. 'Hades, Ares, etc..,' as I want to try and come up with
a completely original design. My god of goes by the name 'Demionosus'(pronouned
"dem-eye-o-nosis")> BAsically the story behind my character is that he was a
demon that escaped the underworld, whom wanted to overthrough Ares and
take Ares's places as god of war in order to wreak havoc and destroy
all factions across Greece.

I was aslo wondering if this character is within the guidelines, if not any
help towards making changes so that it can be accepted with the guidealines.

this is the first concept of my character, it is not finished but it is a start, the design style I am going for in my 'god of war model' is my own design and it's head is half goat half human. It will be in a full greek armour set but I will be modifying the armour to my own style in order ot keep it original. I wouldnt quite say it is a 'god of war' model yet atm it is more like a warlord, but then again the concept still needs to be built up and updated:)

happy_virus2007-07-22 22:44:07

Submitted by happy virus on Fri, 06/07/07 - 9:15 AM Permalink

this is the next updated concept I have for it, any suggestions on how it can be improved just give me a buzz.

happy_virus2007-07-06 20:27:43

Submitted by happy virus on Sat, 07/07/07 - 11:14 AM Permalink

This is the first concept for my shield and swords. Inspiration of the shape of the sword was taken from the greek Hoplite and as well as Achilles' sword. The Design on the sword was my own.

The Shield's shape is based on Achilles' shield and again the design is my own.

Submitted by Killa Dee on Sat, 07/07/07 - 2:06 PM Permalink

Looks like your off to a solid start virus. It would be great to see some small black and white thumbnail images of your entire character. Keep up the good work.

Submitted by happy virus on Mon, 09/07/07 - 6:40 AM Permalink

This is full body concept of my character and some earlier ones collaging around it.

I have also posted a concept of the character from front, side and back views. I will be later posting these two as textured photoshop versions with the 3/4 full body model being a teaser concept. I was thinking of adding deomn wings on the character, but then I thought maybe it would start moving into a monster design and falling out of the guidlines. If anyone thinks it stilll maybe possible to ad wings on my God of war dude just send me a buzz

Also any helpful crits to extend my idea dont hesitate to post them

happy_virus2007-07-08 20:53:39

Submitted by happy virus on Sat, 14/07/07 - 5:30 AM Permalink

I have done the final poses for this character, now Im gonna start modelling, as well as the finished shiled design. Im going to leave myself these 4 months for textures so that I have enough time to make an excellent texture job for my character.

As u all might notice, I have changed the design of the shoulder guards and that is because I wanted them to look more badass. His body has also been bulked up a bit.

Ill Put one in each post to make it easier.

Shield

happy_virus2007-07-13 19:31:20

Submitted by happy virus on Sat, 14/07/07 - 5:32 AM Permalink

This pose shows the final cocept skect of the character from 3/4 view.

Final Fullbody

Submitted by happy virus on Sat, 14/07/07 - 5:33 AM Permalink

And Finally, this is the fullbody Concepts from all four views.

I have kept some of the areas on the concept untextured, e.g. from the rear view of the character he has a cape on so I decided not to go nuts with the drawing there.

Final Pose from Front, 3/4, Side and Back
happy_virus2007-07-13 19:35:41

Submitted by Vlad on Sat, 14/07/07 - 1:02 PM Permalink

loving the new shoulder pads

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 17/07/07 - 2:24 AM Permalink

cheers hope Im allowed to use them in the armour piece tho

Also will be posting my first WIP shot of my model. So far, atm it is around 2800tri's which means I still have a lot of tris left to eork with, so every1 stay tuned soon .

Also once WIP is added, as usual any crits on how to make it better please post them happy_virus2007-07-16 16:32:34

Submitted by Gogitason on Tue, 17/07/07 - 4:37 PM Permalink

Very nice Happy_Virus. The only crit I have at the moment is that he will be a bit restricted when lifting his arms...

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 17/07/07 - 5:44 PM Permalink

yeh I might have to alter them a bit, thanks for the comments , might also do a test rig to see how far I can get the shoulders to raise.

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 17/07/07 - 5:49 PM Permalink

I have a few WIPS of the model so far, 2 were taken yesterday and the other 2 were taken today

Here are the 2 I took yesterday:             

For the other 2 Ill make another post in order to keep all images neat.

These were the first WIPS before I had changed a few things and as well as updated the model. One change which might easily be noticed if u look closely in the newer WIPS is that the horns are much neater and more believable than be4, also some smaller changes whould be the face shape is more gaunt now.happy_virus2007-07-17 08:06:14

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 17/07/07 - 5:58 PM Permalink

These are the other 2
Here are the 2 I did today

As for the shoulders piece what I could do is maybe tilt them back so that the shoulder pieces go behind his neck which might allow more raising of the arms, but as stated I cannot tell this without doing a test rig.

These are still very WIP and the proportions are still quite incorrect but I guess it is a start happy_virus2007-07-17 08:01:37

Submitted by happy virus on Thu, 26/07/07 - 11:09 AM Permalink

I have 2 new WIPS to show of my model, he is starting to kick into the high 5000 poly mark anyone got any ideas on what I can do to make this less just post a reply.

This is a major update 4 me coz my model is nearly ready for normal maps

Submitted by sebp on Tue, 31/07/07 - 10:18 AM Permalink

Man this looks crazy good! nice mesh flow

Submitted by happy virus on Mon, 20/08/07 - 10:25 AM Permalink

This is a WIP of my Normal and Specular map, I am actually not happy with it at all and atm it looks reallly bad.   I will post it anyway as an intial idea and If anyone has suggestions on how I can get it looking good just chuck me some crits.

Submitted by Neffy on Mon, 20/08/07 - 10:54 AM Permalink

Keep at it ! the face is looking pretty amazing I love the wavey shape of the horns. Some areas look a tad too round, like the feet, spikes coming of the leg and cape you prob still working on them tho ^_^

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 20/08/07 - 11:00 AM Permalink

you have been very busy great work!

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 21/08/07 - 1:30 AM Permalink

Atm I am actually reworking the normal map, as for the strange cape that is just 3dsMAX's smoothing groups, this is not a Hi-RES model, tis mearly the character mesh smoothed with the normal map on it. The only6 reason I had the mesh smooth was to see the details betta.

None the less I am still reworking the normal map in Zbrush and well see what I can come up with . Btw thanks for the comments