Skip to main content

Unreal 2 XMP coming to UT2004!

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

This is only interesting to those of you who have UT2004, but the news is that a community project has been given the ok to convert Unreal 2 XMP to Unreal Tournament 2004. As you might know, the developers that made Unreal 2 (and the XMP muliutplayer add on) is now defunct, and the master server for Unreal 2 XMP had been dead for quite a while now, making the purchasers of Unreal 2/XMP very sad pandas indeed. Anyway, it's great to see this game given a new lease of life - a lot of the maps were quite exceptional! I'm sure the game will be an improved experienced due to the improved netcode and vehicle support of the UT2004 engine.. http://www.free-monkey.com/

On another UT2004 related note, they're going to be doing away with the cd/dvd check with the upcoming patch. You know how many times I've had to put the original play disc in the dvd tray since I've got the game? Lots. [:)] They're also removing the bug where you could lift the leviathon vehicle with a manta, and I'm kinda sad to see it go. Not because it gets rid of a serious flaw, mind you, but the general idea of it was actually promising where it encouraged teammates to co-operate and help each other do something. Apart from maybe repairing vehicles/nodes, or perhaps by chance getting some support in a battle, you're pretty much always doing things on your own, I think.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 03/05/04 - 4:01 AM Permalink

interesting news, so XMP was a multiplayer add on for Unreal2... so does this mean simply more maps for Ut2k4 or what?

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Mon, 03/05/04 - 4:50 AM Permalink

no it means an entirely new game type, where you need to steal the other teams artifacts, your base has power generators that need to be controlled in order to use turrets and vehicles as well as power up your artifact node. Plus its class based as well. I hope they port over all the weapons and vehicles, shit I hope they port everything over exactly how it is, XMP is damn good fun.

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 03/05/04 - 8:12 AM Permalink

I'm very happy with how Epic have been getting rid of CD checks eventually with patches at some point after initial sales. It shows they are very community minded (while still keeping business sensibilities of having checks in the first couple months of release).
UT2003 removed the check with one of the patches. Dunno about unreal2 or the original unreals.
Ahh well, *looks at sig* :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Tue, 04/05/04 - 12:59 AM Permalink

I hope they fix unreal ed a bit. For me, it crashes ever third time I open it, and when it is open, I can't do much at all since I can't select any brushes!!

Oh, and there's the second official community bonus map pack coming out real soon as well. Nice [:)]

Submitted by Rahnem on Tue, 04/05/04 - 8:34 PM Permalink

Heh, UnrealEd noob alert [;)]

Posted by souri on
Forum

This is only interesting to those of you who have UT2004, but the news is that a community project has been given the ok to convert Unreal 2 XMP to Unreal Tournament 2004. As you might know, the developers that made Unreal 2 (and the XMP muliutplayer add on) is now defunct, and the master server for Unreal 2 XMP had been dead for quite a while now, making the purchasers of Unreal 2/XMP very sad pandas indeed. Anyway, it's great to see this game given a new lease of life - a lot of the maps were quite exceptional! I'm sure the game will be an improved experienced due to the improved netcode and vehicle support of the UT2004 engine.. http://www.free-monkey.com/

On another UT2004 related note, they're going to be doing away with the cd/dvd check with the upcoming patch. You know how many times I've had to put the original play disc in the dvd tray since I've got the game? Lots. [:)] They're also removing the bug where you could lift the leviathon vehicle with a manta, and I'm kinda sad to see it go. Not because it gets rid of a serious flaw, mind you, but the general idea of it was actually promising where it encouraged teammates to co-operate and help each other do something. Apart from maybe repairing vehicles/nodes, or perhaps by chance getting some support in a battle, you're pretty much always doing things on your own, I think.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 03/05/04 - 4:01 AM Permalink

interesting news, so XMP was a multiplayer add on for Unreal2... so does this mean simply more maps for Ut2k4 or what?

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Mon, 03/05/04 - 4:50 AM Permalink

no it means an entirely new game type, where you need to steal the other teams artifacts, your base has power generators that need to be controlled in order to use turrets and vehicles as well as power up your artifact node. Plus its class based as well. I hope they port over all the weapons and vehicles, shit I hope they port everything over exactly how it is, XMP is damn good fun.

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 03/05/04 - 8:12 AM Permalink

I'm very happy with how Epic have been getting rid of CD checks eventually with patches at some point after initial sales. It shows they are very community minded (while still keeping business sensibilities of having checks in the first couple months of release).
UT2003 removed the check with one of the patches. Dunno about unreal2 or the original unreals.
Ahh well, *looks at sig* :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Tue, 04/05/04 - 12:59 AM Permalink

I hope they fix unreal ed a bit. For me, it crashes ever third time I open it, and when it is open, I can't do much at all since I can't select any brushes!!

Oh, and there's the second official community bonus map pack coming out real soon as well. Nice [:)]

Submitted by Rahnem on Tue, 04/05/04 - 8:34 PM Permalink

Heh, UnrealEd noob alert [;)]