Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #9 - killadee

Submitted by Killa Dee on

let the battle begin again...

Some random thumbnails to help get me started.

More thumbies

Current concept.

Mesh wip#

Killa Dee2007-08-21 04:51:45

Submitted by Neffy on Mon, 02/07/07 - 2:43 AM Permalink

woooooo go killa !!!!!

Submitted by Killa Dee on Wed, 04/07/07 - 6:04 PM Permalink

I'am going to pick, Nyx the goddess of ninja. Killa Dee2007-07-15 02:48:03

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 05/07/07 - 4:14 PM Permalink

Sweet man, I think its within, cant see why it wouldnt be.

I dig the beads/pearls all around her you could make them shiny black pearls if you wanna be really evil.

Submitted by Shadowbreeze on Fri, 06/07/07 - 9:03 AM Permalink

very nice, i hope you can go with it, i look forward to seeing what other Z brush tricks you have for this one, the DW2 one was very cool i'll have to learn that one.

Submitted by happy virus on Sat, 07/07/07 - 6:29 AM Permalink

nice work killa it looks brilliant and it is well presented too nw

Submitted by Neffy on Sat, 07/07/07 - 10:28 AM Permalink

goddess of ninja and the goddess of completely awesome kick your ass :D

Submitted by Killa Dee on Sat, 07/07/07 - 6:56 PM Permalink

I'm pretty sure all Greeks Gods were 1337 ninjas.

I'm trying to refine my design, any suggest would be most appreciated.

Killa Dee2007-07-07 09:13:44

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sun, 08/07/07 - 2:20 AM Permalink

The first one. It is clean and my eye is not bombarded with useless small details.

The first one is really cool =D

Submitted by Neffy on Sun, 08/07/07 - 4:29 AM Permalink

I like the 3rd one's dress and the 1st ones hair/shouder guards

Submitted by shika on Sun, 08/07/07 - 1:14 PM Permalink

hmm, it seems like you're already set on a direction here, but I'm curious...Why do those spiffy silhouette studies and go with the least interesting option? There's gonna be plenty of realistically proportioned females with fancy costumes in this comp.

Out of all your thumbs, the third and last *feel* god like. Which I think is an extremely important point most people will miss....shika2007-07-08 03:18:39

Submitted by happy virus on Mon, 09/07/07 - 6:48 AM Permalink

ID say a combination of the first and the third, as for the second it looks awesome although it seems to follow more of a japanese style trait than a greek trait.

Id say like have the cuirass from the first on the third design but I dunno, it is just what I think then again tis not up to me

Nice work though keep up the nice designs look forward to final render happy_virus2007-07-08 20:49:30

Submitted by panthr on Fri, 13/07/07 - 2:22 AM Permalink

I like the middle one lol... but i agree with happy that the style doesnt have much of a greek trait but that can easily be tweaked to fit in. Great job so far! :D

P

Submitted by Killa Dee on Sun, 15/07/07 - 1:12 PM Permalink

Thanks for the great comments, I think I'm edging closer to settling on my concept.

Killa Dee2007-07-23 04:32:01

Submitted by Killa Dee on Tue, 17/07/07 - 1:32 AM Permalink

It's very cold here this morning, so i'm typing this msg with 1 fingerrrrr!

Killa Dee2007-07-23 04:32:16

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 17/07/07 - 2:26 AM Permalink

whoa that is brilliant it looks like something out of WoW cant wait to see the model

Submitted by benny s on Tue, 17/07/07 - 2:30 AM Permalink

nice man, i really like the dragon head armour. this will turn out really cool

Submitted by Gogitason on Tue, 17/07/07 - 4:27 PM Permalink

Great concept killadee, can't wait to see the model.

Submitted by caseyjones on Wed, 18/07/07 - 2:12 AM Permalink

Nice looking concept, though I fail to see any Greek element at all. I agree with what happy_virus said regarding the WoW comment. It really does look like a fantasy style character especially with the dragon gauntlet. I don't really remember any dragons in Greek mythology. Maybe changing it to a head of a Phoenix, Cerberus, Minotaur or any other creature of Greek mythology would help push it further to the concept that is required to fit the brief.
In the end, it is your concept and your choice. Plus I don't know how strictly comps are judged here regarding the brief so it may be more than acceptable and it may only be judged based on execution of the concept and not the concept itself.
Overall, you're off to a great start and looking forward to seeing how this one pans out.

-caseyjones

Submitted by Killa Dee on Wed, 18/07/07 - 5:08 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=caseyjones] Nice looking concept, though I fail to see any Greek element at all. [/QUOTE]
Thanks for the great input Casey, my design is not intended to be generic, and I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert in the field of Greek mythology. I will read over the guidelines again and re-evaluate my concept and reference.

?Design and model your own God of War / fantasy Greek mythology character?
?The character for submission has to be an original design of your own creation?
?Your character has to look unique, superhuman, tough, suited and battle ready!?

#WIP# I didn't enter this competition to win the kudos or bionic implants (however teh bionic implants would be good), more to improve my skill level and talk shizzel Dizzle ma nizzel grizzel hizzel pizzel chisel fizzle with all you other like minded 3d warriors. [QUOTE=caseyjones]I don't really remember any dragons in Greek mythology[/QUOTE]Ladon, Typhon, Ceto, Phorcys, etc . Teh shield I guess could be 1 of teh 100 heads of Landon, but the phoenix or chimeras head would also look rad.

Keep it coming Casey your on the right track, I love your un-sugar coated response thank you.Killa Dee2007-07-17 22:38:15

Submitted by Massius on Wed, 18/07/07 - 9:18 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=Killa Dee] Ladon, Typhon, Ceto, Phorcys, etc
Keep it coming Casey your on the right track, I love your un-sugar coated response thank you.[/QUOTE]

out of those guys listed Ladon is the only real one that comes close to being a dragon in the sence most people think of them, he was a serpent with 100 heads, so moulding that dragon head into a more serpent/snake like style could work well,

Typhon was a titan, serpent like from the waist down

and this is ripped from wikipedia, but i have somthing similar to this in a mythology book at home, In Greek mythology, Phorcys, or Phorkys was one of the names of the "Old One of the Sea", the primeval sea god, who, according to Hesiod, was the son of Pontus and Gaia(mother earth). In ancient mosaics he was depicted as a fish-tailed merman with crab-claw fore-legs and red spiked skin
and Ceto was the personification of the dangers of the sea, unknown terrors and bizarre creatures, and Phorcys wife

Casey's ideas of a Phoenix or cerebus are good ideas, looking at other dark creatures from greek mythos will help as well

the Primal goddess of night is a good choice, ill be interested to see how ur stuff comes out :D hope this was helpfull

Submitted by Killa Dee on Wed, 18/07/07 - 10:05 AM Permalink

Well put, yes thank you it was very helpful. I 2 read that wiki this morning http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons_in_Greek_mythology

lol @ Phorcys, fish-tailed merman with crab-claw fore-legs and red spiked skin. (Maybe he would make an interesting shield)

Cerubus the 3 headed hell hound might be a bit of a squeeze, a phoenix isn't a bad idea either i will have to think about it some more. Cheers! I do need to work the night theme into it, maybe some cosmic flares
Killa Dee2007-07-18 00:20:46

Submitted by caseyjones on Wed, 18/07/07 - 10:28 AM Permalink

Shhh... Its not a dragon shield, its the head of a Hydra ;)

-caseyjones

Submitted by Killa Dee on Wed, 18/07/07 - 12:11 PM Permalink

yeah! hahaha it does look like 1 of teh heads of hydra http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/hydra.html

I think your onto something Casey in your last post about it being a gauntlet, i like that a lot. This has been quite enlightening, thank you 1...

I don't really understand greek mythology, for example a fish-tailed merman gave birth to a hundred-headed dragon?   orealy!

Killa Dee2007-07-18 02:12:06

Submitted by souri on Thu, 19/07/07 - 3:06 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=Killa Dee] [QUOTE=caseyjones] Nice looking concept, though I fail to see any Greek element at all. [/QUOTE]
Thanks for the great input Casey, my design is not intended to be generic, and I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert in the field of Greek mythology. I will read over the guidelines again and re-evaluate my concept and reference.

?The character for submission has to be an original design of your own creation?
?Your character has to look unique, superhuman, tough, suited and battle ready!?[/QUOTE]

It's also emphasized in the guideline that "The armour, clothing, and weaponry for your character *must* be influenced by the ancient Greek period." Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't be a bit creative, but it does mean that it has to look like it was influenced from that period.

I know I used the word "fantasy" in there, but I didn't mean that to describe the Tolkien influenced fantasy that most people think of, but more in the sense that it has to be fantastical and "make believe".

Now, I'm not going to be part of the judging process (my specific role at the moment is to make sure challengers adhere to the guidelines so that their final submission is accepted), so any general artistic comments I make on concepts or work in here have no bearing whatsoever on the judges decisions, but if you look at the past challenges, the judges do treat the brief pretty seriously.

If there's anything they can pick you apart with, then they will do it without hesitation. If the general consensus is that your concept doesn't look like it fits with the challenge brief, then you can be sure that the judges will get you!

Submitted by Killa Dee on Thu, 19/07/07 - 4:28 AM Permalink

sweet thanks Souri, less fantasy more ancient Greek, beware of judges and fish-tailed mermansss.. check

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 23/07/07 - 6:41 AM Permalink

Back online! i was getting a little worried...hahaha

Anywhos, I decided to change my concept.

Submitted by happy virus on Mon, 23/07/07 - 8:25 AM Permalink

That looks better love the serpent staff , Medusa is an awesome choice can't wait to see that serpent hair in 3d

Nice update Killahappy_virus2007-07-22 22:27:04

Submitted by caseyjones on Mon, 23/07/07 - 10:07 AM Permalink

Bit disappointing to see you changed your concept, but sometimes the first choice isn't always the best.

I will say, you probably did make a wise choice because this new concept already feels a lot stronger than your last one.

I don't know if this is going to be your final concept, but here's a few links to some Medusa/Gorgon concepts by Charlie Wen for the God of War series which may help push your concept further. His work for both games has been a huge inspiration for my entry for the comp (which will be posted soon, so it will be your turn to start ripping into me :P).

medusa1_resize

71_resize

medusa4_resize

fat_medusa1

I hope these are of some use to you. I'd personally like to see you keep pushing your concept just a little further in the design and don't be scared to try new things. It is a 4 month comp so there's really no need to rush into anything. Experiment, that's what the whole concept phase is all about.

Quoting Jack Monahan (awesome dude and great concept artist) on concepting:

[quote]-don't marry your first girlfriend. you remember her, right? when you were like 13? (or 37?) is that really who you want to spend the rest of your life banking on to see you through? of course not. and so accordingly, you also shouldn't get married, which is to say, too immediately invested or committed, to your first idea or concept. you want to have a good look at several good ideas before you put serious time into any of them. and if it turns out the first one was the best after all, what's the harm? you've proven that it's a good idea, and probably refined it along the way too.[/quote]

-caseyjones

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 23/07/07 - 2:03 PM Permalink

thanks for the links, some awesome artwork. Yeah not finished sketching just yet, + I'm in no real rush to start modeling so yeah you hit the nail on the head again Casey. Here are some new thumbs, sry there a little freaky I was listening to drum n bass..

Killa Dee2007-07-23 04:25:53

Submitted by shika on Mon, 23/07/07 - 3:26 PM Permalink

caseyjones +1

your latest thumbs are a step in the right direction

Posted by Killa Dee on

let the battle begin again...

Some random thumbnails to help get me started.

More thumbies

Current concept.

Mesh wip#

Killa Dee2007-08-21 04:51:45

Submitted by Neffy on Mon, 02/07/07 - 2:43 AM Permalink

woooooo go killa !!!!!

Submitted by Killa Dee on Wed, 04/07/07 - 6:04 PM Permalink

I'am going to pick, Nyx the goddess of ninja. Killa Dee2007-07-15 02:48:03

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 05/07/07 - 4:14 PM Permalink

Sweet man, I think its within, cant see why it wouldnt be.

I dig the beads/pearls all around her you could make them shiny black pearls if you wanna be really evil.

Submitted by Shadowbreeze on Fri, 06/07/07 - 9:03 AM Permalink

very nice, i hope you can go with it, i look forward to seeing what other Z brush tricks you have for this one, the DW2 one was very cool i'll have to learn that one.

Submitted by happy virus on Sat, 07/07/07 - 6:29 AM Permalink

nice work killa it looks brilliant and it is well presented too nw

Submitted by Neffy on Sat, 07/07/07 - 10:28 AM Permalink

goddess of ninja and the goddess of completely awesome kick your ass :D

Submitted by Killa Dee on Sat, 07/07/07 - 6:56 PM Permalink

I'm pretty sure all Greeks Gods were 1337 ninjas.

I'm trying to refine my design, any suggest would be most appreciated.

Killa Dee2007-07-07 09:13:44

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sun, 08/07/07 - 2:20 AM Permalink

The first one. It is clean and my eye is not bombarded with useless small details.

The first one is really cool =D

Submitted by Neffy on Sun, 08/07/07 - 4:29 AM Permalink

I like the 3rd one's dress and the 1st ones hair/shouder guards

Submitted by shika on Sun, 08/07/07 - 1:14 PM Permalink

hmm, it seems like you're already set on a direction here, but I'm curious...Why do those spiffy silhouette studies and go with the least interesting option? There's gonna be plenty of realistically proportioned females with fancy costumes in this comp.

Out of all your thumbs, the third and last *feel* god like. Which I think is an extremely important point most people will miss....shika2007-07-08 03:18:39

Submitted by happy virus on Mon, 09/07/07 - 6:48 AM Permalink

ID say a combination of the first and the third, as for the second it looks awesome although it seems to follow more of a japanese style trait than a greek trait.

Id say like have the cuirass from the first on the third design but I dunno, it is just what I think then again tis not up to me

Nice work though keep up the nice designs look forward to final render happy_virus2007-07-08 20:49:30

Submitted by panthr on Fri, 13/07/07 - 2:22 AM Permalink

I like the middle one lol... but i agree with happy that the style doesnt have much of a greek trait but that can easily be tweaked to fit in. Great job so far! :D

P

Submitted by Killa Dee on Sun, 15/07/07 - 1:12 PM Permalink

Thanks for the great comments, I think I'm edging closer to settling on my concept.

Killa Dee2007-07-23 04:32:01

Submitted by Killa Dee on Tue, 17/07/07 - 1:32 AM Permalink

It's very cold here this morning, so i'm typing this msg with 1 fingerrrrr!

Killa Dee2007-07-23 04:32:16

Submitted by happy virus on Tue, 17/07/07 - 2:26 AM Permalink

whoa that is brilliant it looks like something out of WoW cant wait to see the model

Submitted by benny s on Tue, 17/07/07 - 2:30 AM Permalink

nice man, i really like the dragon head armour. this will turn out really cool

Submitted by Gogitason on Tue, 17/07/07 - 4:27 PM Permalink

Great concept killadee, can't wait to see the model.

Submitted by caseyjones on Wed, 18/07/07 - 2:12 AM Permalink

Nice looking concept, though I fail to see any Greek element at all. I agree with what happy_virus said regarding the WoW comment. It really does look like a fantasy style character especially with the dragon gauntlet. I don't really remember any dragons in Greek mythology. Maybe changing it to a head of a Phoenix, Cerberus, Minotaur or any other creature of Greek mythology would help push it further to the concept that is required to fit the brief.
In the end, it is your concept and your choice. Plus I don't know how strictly comps are judged here regarding the brief so it may be more than acceptable and it may only be judged based on execution of the concept and not the concept itself.
Overall, you're off to a great start and looking forward to seeing how this one pans out.

-caseyjones

Submitted by Killa Dee on Wed, 18/07/07 - 5:08 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=caseyjones] Nice looking concept, though I fail to see any Greek element at all. [/QUOTE]

?Your character has to look unique, superhuman, tough, suited and battle ready!?

#WIP# I didn't enter this competition to win the kudos or bionic implants (however teh bionic implants would be good), more to improve my skill level and talk shizzel Dizzle ma nizzel grizzel hizzel pizzel chisel fizzle with all you other like minded 3d warriors. [QUOTE=caseyjones]I don't really remember any dragons in Greek mythology[/QUOTE]Ladon, Typhon, Ceto, Phorcys, etc . Teh shield I guess could be 1 of teh 100 heads of Landon, but the phoenix or chimeras head would also look rad.

Keep it coming Casey your on the right track, I love your un-sugar coated response thank you.Killa Dee2007-07-17 22:38:15

Submitted by Massius on Wed, 18/07/07 - 9:18 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=Killa Dee] Ladon, Typhon, Ceto, Phorcys, etc
Keep it coming Casey your on the right track, I love your un-sugar coated response thank you.[/QUOTE]

out of those guys listed Ladon is the only real one that comes close to being a dragon in the sence most people think of them, he was a serpent with 100 heads, so moulding that dragon head into a more serpent/snake like style could work well,

Typhon was a titan, serpent like from the waist down

and this is ripped from wikipedia, but i have somthing similar to this in a mythology book at home, In Greek mythology, Phorcys, or Phorkys was one of the names of the "Old One of the Sea", the primeval sea god, who, according to Hesiod, was the son of Pontus and Gaia(mother earth). In ancient mosaics he was depicted as a fish-tailed merman with crab-claw fore-legs and red spiked skin
and Ceto was the personification of the dangers of the sea, unknown terrors and bizarre creatures, and Phorcys wife

Casey's ideas of a Phoenix or cerebus are good ideas, looking at other dark creatures from greek mythos will help as well

the Primal goddess of night is a good choice, ill be interested to see how ur stuff comes out :D hope this was helpfull

Submitted by Killa Dee on Wed, 18/07/07 - 10:05 AM Permalink

Well put, yes thank you it was very helpful. I 2 read that wiki this morning http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons_in_Greek_mythology

lol @ Phorcys, fish-tailed merman with crab-claw fore-legs and red spiked skin. (Maybe he would make an interesting shield)

Cerubus the 3 headed hell hound might be a bit of a squeeze, a phoenix isn't a bad idea either i will have to think about it some more. Cheers! I do need to work the night theme into it, maybe some cosmic flares
Killa Dee2007-07-18 00:20:46

Submitted by caseyjones on Wed, 18/07/07 - 10:28 AM Permalink

Shhh... Its not a dragon shield, its the head of a Hydra ;)

-caseyjones

Submitted by Killa Dee on Wed, 18/07/07 - 12:11 PM Permalink

yeah! hahaha it does look like 1 of teh heads of hydra http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/hydra.html

I think your onto something Casey in your last post about it being a gauntlet, i like that a lot. This has been quite enlightening, thank you 1...

I don't really understand greek mythology, for example a fish-tailed merman gave birth to a hundred-headed dragon?   orealy!

Killa Dee2007-07-18 02:12:06

Submitted by souri on Thu, 19/07/07 - 3:06 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=Killa Dee] [QUOTE=caseyjones] Nice looking concept, though I fail to see any Greek element at all. [/QUOTE]

?Your character has to look unique, superhuman, tough, suited and battle ready!?[/QUOTE]

It's also emphasized in the guideline that "The armour, clothing, and weaponry for your character *must* be influenced by the ancient Greek period." Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't be a bit creative, but it does mean that it has to look like it was influenced from that period.

I know I used the word "fantasy" in there, but I didn't mean that to describe the Tolkien influenced fantasy that most people think of, but more in the sense that it has to be fantastical and "make believe".

Now, I'm not going to be part of the judging process (my specific role at the moment is to make sure challengers adhere to the guidelines so that their final submission is accepted), so any general artistic comments I make on concepts or work in here have no bearing whatsoever on the judges decisions, but if you look at the past challenges, the judges do treat the brief pretty seriously.

If there's anything they can pick you apart with, then they will do it without hesitation. If the general consensus is that your concept doesn't look like it fits with the challenge brief, then you can be sure that the judges will get you!

Submitted by Killa Dee on Thu, 19/07/07 - 4:28 AM Permalink

sweet thanks Souri, less fantasy more ancient Greek, beware of judges and fish-tailed mermansss.. check

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 23/07/07 - 6:41 AM Permalink

Back online! i was getting a little worried...hahaha

Anywhos, I decided to change my concept.

Submitted by happy virus on Mon, 23/07/07 - 8:25 AM Permalink

That looks better love the serpent staff , Medusa is an awesome choice can't wait to see that serpent hair in 3d

Nice update Killahappy_virus2007-07-22 22:27:04

Submitted by caseyjones on Mon, 23/07/07 - 10:07 AM Permalink

Bit disappointing to see you changed your concept, but sometimes the first choice isn't always the best.

I will say, you probably did make a wise choice because this new concept already feels a lot stronger than your last one.

I don't know if this is going to be your final concept, but here's a few links to some Medusa/Gorgon concepts by Charlie Wen for the God of War series which may help push your concept further. His work for both games has been a huge inspiration for my entry for the comp (which will be posted soon, so it will be your turn to start ripping into me :P).

medusa1_resize

71_resize

medusa4_resize

fat_medusa1

I hope these are of some use to you. I'd personally like to see you keep pushing your concept just a little further in the design and don't be scared to try new things. It is a 4 month comp so there's really no need to rush into anything. Experiment, that's what the whole concept phase is all about.

Quoting Jack Monahan (awesome dude and great concept artist) on concepting:

[quote]-don't marry your first girlfriend. you remember her, right? when you were like 13? (or 37?) is that really who you want to spend the rest of your life banking on to see you through? of course not. and so accordingly, you also shouldn't get married, which is to say, too immediately invested or committed, to your first idea or concept. you want to have a good look at several good ideas before you put serious time into any of them. and if it turns out the first one was the best after all, what's the harm? you've proven that it's a good idea, and probably refined it along the way too.[/quote]

-caseyjones

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 23/07/07 - 2:03 PM Permalink

thanks for the links, some awesome artwork. Yeah not finished sketching just yet, + I'm in no real rush to start modeling so yeah you hit the nail on the head again Casey. Here are some new thumbs, sry there a little freaky I was listening to drum n bass..

Killa Dee2007-07-23 04:25:53

Submitted by shika on Mon, 23/07/07 - 3:26 PM Permalink

caseyjones +1

your latest thumbs are a step in the right direction