Skip to main content

Team Sumea Programmers

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Ok, from the suggestion by Polemarch to have a thread happening for programmers interested in contributing with the mod. Let us know if you're interested, and what areas you'd like to cover so others know what's being worked on.

You can pretty much look into modifying the game right away, so feel free to dig right into it. We'll get someone to collect and keep track of contributions, so it's all good!

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 01/03/05 - 9:30 PM Permalink

He beat me to it by a day or so :)

I've been mulling over the coding side of things for a while now, and it seems we really have the following requirements that we need to get done. This is not just for programmers, this is the nuts and bolts of how the mod will work. However, it's up to the programmers to make it work, it'll be the bit that we point to and scream our wretched mantra - "Scope creep! Scope creep!".

I think we need to talk this through, then we can start putting together a more detailed set of requirements and divvying up the work.

Menus

• Pre-game class selector
    - Allow people to select classes (and perhaps weapon loadout)
    - heavily graphical - can display cinematics or models...
  • Pre-game objective display
    - Describe map objectives
    - Possibly use a loading screen for each map?
  • Intra-game class selector
    - Allow people to select new class to spawn as when they next respawn
    - light textual/symbolic, quick to use.
  • Intra-game objective display
    - At-a-glance summary of objectives
    - perhaps use maps to select 'waypoints' for HUD...
  • Post game scores
    - Show objectives satisfied etc.
    - (pet hate) show time in-game and results even for people who have since disconnected.

HUD

• Radar
    - Show team postition (except when cloaked?)
    - Show opponent postition when certain condiditons met
  • Team/objective status
    - show team health in realtime, MMO group style?
    - show path to selected waypoint a-la UT's CTF?

Classes

• Common
    - Weapon/Object pickup restrictions based on class
    - Trigger/Objective restrictions based on class
    - speed varies by class
    - armor level/efficiency varies by class
    - default weapon loadout varies by class
  • Heavy special abilities
    - firing on remotely 'marked' targets.
    • homing missiles - fire and forget; or
    • artillery target crosshair appears in hud, and player has to line up to fire
  • Support special abilities
    - spawn ammo packs
    - construct (spawn) defenses
    - disable (destroy) defenses
  • Covert
    - cloak/camouflage
    - heal team member
    • using specific weapon?
    • using "anytime" skill/proximity? (ie: can the covert heal a guy next to him while sniping?)

- 'hack' systems. (ie: activate trigger)

Maps

• Objective Vehicle spawning and respawning
    - triggered? (ie: call for vehicle from dropship)
    - timed? (ie: vehicle spawns every minute if no vehicle on map?)
  • Objective satisfaction
    - for vehicles-to-area maps, an objective is met via proximity?
  • Team effect triggers
    - trigger radar tower such that enemies appear in your team`s HUD.

Weapons

Probably the easy bit - we know they'll be limited to individual classes - we just need to work out what they are and what they do!

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 02/03/05 - 3:40 AM Permalink

I should be able to help out. Would mean I would have to buy it. That may be a few more weeks as I just shelled out for school fees and books. As for time I would not want to take anything too "major" on for myself as I would hate to let others down if I was not able to complete the tasks. That having been said I have done some basic GUI/HUD stuff and would not mind taking that on again. I have not done anything like a radar before where it would show other members or AI positions so that could be a bit of a challenge....

I am curious - do they have gui editors as part of the engine? Is it 2D or 3D?

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 02/03/05 - 11:02 PM Permalink

i've got mutators that show enemy possitions on the map, so the code mustn't be to hard to find somewhere in the editor if you just want to rip out epic's...

on that note: pretty much all the game code is in the editor, so you can just make classes from that rather than write your own stuff where possible. dunno if that's the terminology, i'm not a coder [:)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 03/03/05 - 8:38 PM Permalink

Pretty much a lot of things have already been done before. It may be even worth looking into what other mods have done with similar things. eg Unreal XMP with character classes etc. There's a wealth of information on the net, so I'm sure you can find answers somewhere.

Like what was mentioned earlier, this stuff can be done now. You can use unreal's assets as temporary placeholders for, say, guns or player models if you want to modify the gun aspects or character classes..

Submitted by lorien on Sat, 05/03/05 - 12:48 AM Permalink

Good to see you guys have remembered sound :) I'm afraid there is no way I have time...

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 05/03/05 - 9:09 AM Permalink

if anyone one wants a little practice with modifing unreal script i need a little help with my samus model. i need to make it so the weapon is invisible for this character only (so it looks like she's shooting out of the arm cannon).

Submitted by Andres Piroso on Thu, 10/03/05 - 4:14 AM Permalink

Hmmm, I might just get my UT2004 stuff reinstalled... :)

Submitted by Kezza on Mon, 14/03/05 - 9:44 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by LiveWire

if anyone one wants a little practice with modifing unreal script i need a little help with my samus model. i need to make it so the weapon is invisible for this character only (so it looks like she's shooting out of the arm cannon).

Might be a bit hard,
you'd probably need to run a mutator on the server you're using that model on for this effect.

That aside, I'll probably start by playing around with some more stuff... maybe the radar, not sure what's involved in that yet though.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Fri, 18/03/05 - 9:34 AM Permalink

OK Y'all - we have a Subversion repository for the mod set up - so we're kind of starting to get our act together!

Submitted by souri on Sat, 19/03/05 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Excellent stuff, dude.. I probably won't be needing to use the repository just yet, since I'm working on a map which is kinda disconnected from everything else. Would be useful for the programmers who are setting up the game/doing the scripting though!

Submitted by mcdrewski on Sat, 19/03/05 - 1:27 AM Permalink

I'd really suggest doing it anyway - you don't have to commit your map until you're happy with it, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page.

Posted by souri on
Forum

Ok, from the suggestion by Polemarch to have a thread happening for programmers interested in contributing with the mod. Let us know if you're interested, and what areas you'd like to cover so others know what's being worked on.

You can pretty much look into modifying the game right away, so feel free to dig right into it. We'll get someone to collect and keep track of contributions, so it's all good!

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 01/03/05 - 9:30 PM Permalink

He beat me to it by a day or so :)

I've been mulling over the coding side of things for a while now, and it seems we really have the following requirements that we need to get done. This is not just for programmers, this is the nuts and bolts of how the mod will work. However, it's up to the programmers to make it work, it'll be the bit that we point to and scream our wretched mantra - "Scope creep! Scope creep!".

I think we need to talk this through, then we can start putting together a more detailed set of requirements and divvying up the work.

Menus

• Pre-game class selector
    - Allow people to select classes (and perhaps weapon loadout)
    - heavily graphical - can display cinematics or models...
  • Pre-game objective display
    - Describe map objectives
    - Possibly use a loading screen for each map?
  • Intra-game class selector
    - Allow people to select new class to spawn as when they next respawn
    - light textual/symbolic, quick to use.
  • Intra-game objective display
    - At-a-glance summary of objectives
    - perhaps use maps to select 'waypoints' for HUD...
  • Post game scores
    - Show objectives satisfied etc.
    - (pet hate) show time in-game and results even for people who have since disconnected.

HUD

• Radar
    - Show team postition (except when cloaked?)
    - Show opponent postition when certain condiditons met
  • Team/objective status
    - show team health in realtime, MMO group style?
    - show path to selected waypoint a-la UT's CTF?

Classes

• Common
    - Weapon/Object pickup restrictions based on class
    - Trigger/Objective restrictions based on class
    - speed varies by class
    - armor level/efficiency varies by class
    - default weapon loadout varies by class
  • Heavy special abilities
    - firing on remotely 'marked' targets.
    • homing missiles - fire and forget; or
    • artillery target crosshair appears in hud, and player has to line up to fire
  • Support special abilities
    - spawn ammo packs
    - construct (spawn) defenses
    - disable (destroy) defenses
  • Covert
    - cloak/camouflage
    - heal team member
    • using specific weapon?
    • using "anytime" skill/proximity? (ie: can the covert heal a guy next to him while sniping?)

- 'hack' systems. (ie: activate trigger)

Maps

• Objective Vehicle spawning and respawning
    - triggered? (ie: call for vehicle from dropship)
    - timed? (ie: vehicle spawns every minute if no vehicle on map?)
  • Objective satisfaction
    - for vehicles-to-area maps, an objective is met via proximity?
  • Team effect triggers
    - trigger radar tower such that enemies appear in your team`s HUD.

Weapons

Probably the easy bit - we know they'll be limited to individual classes - we just need to work out what they are and what they do!

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 02/03/05 - 3:40 AM Permalink

I should be able to help out. Would mean I would have to buy it. That may be a few more weeks as I just shelled out for school fees and books. As for time I would not want to take anything too "major" on for myself as I would hate to let others down if I was not able to complete the tasks. That having been said I have done some basic GUI/HUD stuff and would not mind taking that on again. I have not done anything like a radar before where it would show other members or AI positions so that could be a bit of a challenge....

I am curious - do they have gui editors as part of the engine? Is it 2D or 3D?

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 02/03/05 - 11:02 PM Permalink

i've got mutators that show enemy possitions on the map, so the code mustn't be to hard to find somewhere in the editor if you just want to rip out epic's...

on that note: pretty much all the game code is in the editor, so you can just make classes from that rather than write your own stuff where possible. dunno if that's the terminology, i'm not a coder [:)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 03/03/05 - 8:38 PM Permalink

Pretty much a lot of things have already been done before. It may be even worth looking into what other mods have done with similar things. eg Unreal XMP with character classes etc. There's a wealth of information on the net, so I'm sure you can find answers somewhere.

Like what was mentioned earlier, this stuff can be done now. You can use unreal's assets as temporary placeholders for, say, guns or player models if you want to modify the gun aspects or character classes..

Submitted by lorien on Sat, 05/03/05 - 12:48 AM Permalink

Good to see you guys have remembered sound :) I'm afraid there is no way I have time...

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 05/03/05 - 9:09 AM Permalink

Submitted by Andres Piroso on Thu, 10/03/05 - 4:14 AM Permalink

Hmmm, I might just get my UT2004 stuff reinstalled... :)

Submitted by Kezza on Mon, 14/03/05 - 9:44 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by LiveWire

Might be a bit hard,
you'd probably need to run a mutator on the server you're using that model on for this effect.

That aside, I'll probably start by playing around with some more stuff... maybe the radar, not sure what's involved in that yet though.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Fri, 18/03/05 - 9:34 AM Permalink

OK Y'all - we have a Subversion repository for the mod set up - so we're kind of starting to get our act together!

Submitted by souri on Sat, 19/03/05 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Excellent stuff, dude.. I probably won't be needing to use the repository just yet, since I'm working on a map which is kinda disconnected from everything else. Would be useful for the programmers who are setting up the game/doing the scripting though!

Submitted by mcdrewski on Sat, 19/03/05 - 1:27 AM Permalink

I'd really suggest doing it anyway - you don't have to commit your map until you're happy with it, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page.