Skip to main content

Sumea Modeller Challenge #5

If you dont want to read the background go to the bold print. The background might give you a few ideas tho...

It's the first day of the week at your work since your last game went gold. The boss has called a meeting about his latest
'brainstorm.' A feeling of trepidation ensues.

"Soooo... I hear there's these new things called Poke-men," he proclaims. Your 'idiot sense' begins to tingle.

"Uh, sir? I think you mean Poke-mon. It's Japanese for Pocket Monsters," you reply. You've seen this look on
your boss' face before. The man's a buffoon and never up with the play in the industry -- it's a wonder the
company is still on its feet. His last brainstorm was a Hooters Waitressing Simulator where you served beer
and food to drunk patrons while trying to avoid food spills and groping hands. Needless to say, the game bombed
and several members of staff left to 'pursue other interests.'

"Well, whatever!" he blusters. "We're gonna make us a game where you have a sidekick buddy who can evolve every time
you feed it a special growth pill. It'll get new attacks and its appearance will change to reflect this. The evolution doesn't
necessarily have to mean getting bigger and stronger. The sidekick could get sleeker and meaner or maybe slower and more
heroic in nature."

Someone at work must have switched the coffee. The idea actually sounds half-decent.

"So tell me about these growth pills then," you ask, intrigued.

"Well I saw this new movie called The Matrix the other day," he begins. "The main character had to choose between a red pill and
a blue pill. So I figure that we could use that idea. You've got two red pills and two blue pills. Red pills make the creature more
aggressive/evil and the blue pills make the creature more heroic/good but you can only ever feed the creature a maximum of two pills or it'll revert to it's natural form. The changes to the creature should be reflected in it's appearance. A fully evilly aligned creature might have have scars, tattoos and red eyes or something. A heroic creature might have blue eyes and regal features. It's your call. It can be anything you want - a robot, a sea creature a pet mutant dog, whatever. It's gonna be aimed at kids and there's the potential for marketing spinoffs like stickers,
lunchboxes and Nickalodean cartoons."

You're genuinely intrigued. It's blatantly obvious that the boss has had a brain transplant.

"So, can you mix the pills up so that it can have features of both alignments or be neutral?" you ask.

"I don't see why not. It could be quite cool to have a sidekick that may not always respond to what you want it to do."

"Okay, so I've got to design 3 creatures then? One original sidekick, plus two evolved versions of the original creature, correct? You said it's a sidekick right? So do I have to design a heroic/villainous owner as well?"

"You can if you want, but we've got someone else doing the main character designs. However, if your idea is better, we'll use it. You might want to show some correlation between the two. A collar or communication device or something."

"Sweet. So what are the constraints and what do I need to submit?"

"Well, it's gonna be aimed at the 6 - 12 years old market so don't have guts and heads bursting out of bodies. You can draw it in any style you want but just keep the target market in mind. You'll need a concept for each of the stages that the creature is at. If you want, you can show thumbnails or roughs and working drawings. Since our entire 3d team left at the end of the last project,you'll need to do a 3d model for each of the stages as well and dont forget to show your wireframes. Since we'll be using the Hooters Waitressing Simulation engine to save costs, that means you'll have 3200 polygons
and you can distribute that over the three creatures as you see fit. If you want to do the main character as well - stick to a budget of around 2000 polygons.

For textures, you can use a 512 texture sheet for each of the evolutionary stages. If you decide to do the main character as well, you can use a 512 for that as well.
Don't forget to show your UVs.

Then finally we'd like to see some sort of a splash page that we'll show to publishers done in any way you like but we need to have it done before or on April 1st.

"So whats the game called then?" you enquire.

Gazing skywards, your boss stretches his arms out wide, "I was thinking something along the lines of: Evolution Extrrreeeeeeeeemmme!!!"

CLOSING DATE: 1ST APRIL, 2004.

THEME: Create a marketable sidekick character with one original form and two evolved forms (3 in total). It can be anything from a robot, a pokemon-eque creature
to a sea urchin. Make it appealling - doesn't necessarily have to be cute but G-rated is best. Creature can evolve as a hero or villain (read above brief) - what would happen
if the creature was heroic but the main character was villainous? And vice versa?

STYLE: Any you want. Just remember you're trying to appeal to the lucrative 6-12 year old market, so parents are also a consideration. Ideally your product would be
easily put on lunchboxes, stickers etc.

RESTRICTIONS: No blood and guts. No detachable guns or real world bullet shooters. ie - shooting water or lava is fine, bullets/lasers are not). Try and show the link between the first and third stage of evolution. Eg - why would a creature have
full flowing wings from one step to the next?

Kiwi's and Ockers only. Unless of course, you've got residency or you send me copious amounts of money.

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: 3 concept illustrations/sketches/pieces (one for each of the evolutionary stages). Judged on design, not technical ability.
Include working sketches, WIPs (optional).
Default lit orthographics (side, front etc) as well as any shots you think might be necessary to convey your idea.
Untextured wireframe
Texture flats
Splash Page - be creative. Maybe you could do this as a sticker for a lunchbox?
A name for the character(s). Make it catchy.
A logo with the pair (optional).

OPTIONAL: the main character to go with the sidekick - as above, but include it/him/her in the splash page. Just one concept needed though.

EDIT/CLARIFICATION: In short, do a concept for your main character, but you don't have to model it.

TECHNICAL CONSTRAINTS: (not set in concrete - open to change if forum members are unsatisfied).

3200 polys over the 3 versions. Distribute as you see fit.
2000 polys for the main character/owner (optional)
1 512 texture sheet for each version of the creature.
1 x 512 texture sheet for the main character (optional)
Alphas are allowed.
Cannabilism allowed - but only from models used in this comp. ie - you dont have to remake each vers from scratch.
No photosourcing.

In case you hadn't noticed, this framework is based upon Malus' one from the last comp.

*EDIT* Due to popular demand, the comp has been adjusted so that each evolutionary stage can use a 512 map (instead of the 256 previously).

EDIT: Hero concept is required, but doesn't have to be modelled. The definition of 'no guns' has been clarified - basically, no bullets, lasers, mortar shells. You can twist this meanings tho' eg - maybe the creature fires stinkbomb pellets (kinda like mortar shells but not).

If you can find loopholes in the brief, go for it (it's called thinking outside the square). It's proof of good design to be able to interpret a brief in a different light.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 02/02/04 - 12:26 AM Permalink

Don't forget the naming conventions for your threads. Post a new thread (showing your progress and final works), naming it like:

Sumea Challenge #5 -3D- Yourname

If you have any questions on the rules and guidelines above, please post it in this thread.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 02/02/04 - 12:32 AM Permalink

Obviously, this is a framework -- if there is a general consensus to have something changed, then we (the forum) can work something out.

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Mon, 02/02/04 - 12:50 AM Permalink

Is it 1X512 texture sheet for all stages or 3X256 texture sheets(one for each stage of evolution)?

I think this needs to be clear because it says two different things in the brief.

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 02/02/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

Hi all,

This sounds like a very cool sumea competition and im sure everyone will enjoy doing it.

Good luck to all entrants and im sure we will see a number of great side kick characters.
It is also worth entering because there is a great prize for it and as usual it is a good portfolio work once it is completed.

good luck can't wait to see everyones entries.

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 02/02/04 - 1:34 AM Permalink

Hey wow - nice open topic Jonathan. Cheers! Excellent write up as well.

I'm not sure it's a great idea to have an optional main character, maybe limit that to concept. ie. if you want to show the main character as well, include a concept (not a model).

Sounds great. (No guns! wOOt)

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 02/02/04 - 1:39 AM Permalink

ooh, sounds like fun :)
*Dusts off "3d modelling for dummies"*

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 02/02/04 - 2:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr

Closes on April 1st? Does that make this some kind of sick April Fools joke? [;)]

Submitted by jacobt on Mon, 02/02/04 - 3:59 AM Permalink

This is a great brief, made me laugh a bit too, cheers Jonathan [:)]

One thing I would like to see is some photosourcing allowed. There are many different sides to the debate about this. I'm not sure what other's opinions are here on Sumea, but from what I understand photosourcing is an important part of an efficent professional artist's job, so I wouldn't mind practising it.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 02/02/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

I love this idea - I just hope I'm up to the challenge! Sounds like fun though [:)]

One thing I'm confused about though: 3 models, 1 of the original character, and two of the evolutionary states. So does this mean the two different possible evolution states (one good, one evil)? Or an example of how it would evolve (one blue pill, one red pill for example, or two red pills)?

I mean, with two of each pills, there a 4 different possibilities plus the original:
original -> blue -> blue, or
original -> blue -> red, or
original -> red -> red, or
original -> red -> blue.
- so are we supposed to pick one path and create each stage, or create 1 good, 1 evil, plus the original?

I like the idea that the optional main character should be limited to concept art... though I guess it really doesn't matter if it's just an optional part.

And I personally would like to see some photo sourcing allowed; since that's a skill I'm trying to develop.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 02/02/04 - 5:13 AM Permalink

Sounds like a nice challenging brief. I like Palantir's idea of being able to design a good version and a bad version, or just a three step evolution.

Looks like I'm going to have to watch more kids cartoons again to get style ideas :)

And for those who need some help
http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/digipedia/

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 02/02/04 - 8:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by palantir

I love this idea - I just hope I'm up to the challenge! Sounds like fun though [:)]

One thing I'm confused about though: 3 models, 1 of the original character, and two of the evolutionary states. So does this mean the two different possible evolution states (one good, one evil)? Or an example of how it would evolve (one blue pill, one red pill for example, or two red pills)?

I mean, with two of each pills, there a 4 different possibilities plus the original:
original -> red -> blue.
- so are we supposed to pick one path and create each stage, or create 1 good, 1 evil, plus the original?

I like the idea that the optional main character should be limited to concept art... though I guess it really doesn't matter if it's just an optional part.

And I personally would like to see some photo sourcing allowed; since that's a skill I'm trying to develop.

You can do it how you want. I mean, you could evolve your creature in a good way and then evolve it with a bad pill so that all the features it gained in the previous iteration take on a twisted form and then some.

BTW - having looked at some of those digimon designs, should we drop the 'no guns' policy?

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 02/02/04 - 9:01 AM Permalink

I think that the 'no guns' policy should be dropped to something like 'no detachable guns'. ie the weapon should actually be attached to the creature.

The poly count seems fine, but I do have a little concern with the texture limit. The low res is to force people to make it more simplistic and cartoony right? Are you allowed to use a NPR renderer (Non Photo-realistic render. Cell shading)? Make it like the JSR and Warner Brothers games.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 02/02/04 - 9:36 AM Permalink

What do you think the texture limit should be? I meant to ask you to help out with the tech side of things for the brief, but I forgot. A 512 per model?

Submitted by davidcoen on Mon, 02/02/04 - 11:09 AM Permalink

must resist urge to design something subversivly deviant~ will see if i can think of anything 'nightmarishly cute' that would work :))

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 02/02/04 - 6:48 PM Permalink

I think that 512 would br a little more fair for each evolution. There really isn't much point asking me, I haven't made a low poly character in bloody ages :p

I still think that it would be cool if NPR renders are allowed. If they are, then 1x512 would be more than fine as you can get away with doing more simplistic flat texturing. You only need the texture space for faces and little decorations. Perhaps an option?

If NPR renders aren't allowed though, there is still another trick up my sleave ;)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 02/02/04 - 7:03 PM Permalink

quote:Also - are people okay with the poly counts?

I think they are fine, you set them, we do them, that is the nature of a competition, or a brief.

As for the texture limit of 1 x 256 each, I am also cool with that.

I recommend that no changes be made post the start of a comp, clarifications yes, but changes no.
Making changes to the basic structure after the start of a comp is bad form.
I don?t want to have to come back here every few days to make sure that any work I have done has not been rendered redundant by changes in the comp structure.
Once it?s out there, let it rest.

Pantmonger

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 02/02/04 - 7:58 PM Permalink

I totally agree with pants; Let it rest.

For instance, I'm a firm believer of the no-photosourcing, but I also have to grudgingly live with the concept technical/visual quality not being judged.

The brief is set. Go to it. With 4 possible evolutions and 1 512x512 texture sheet that = 1 256x256 each evolution, with overlaps possible; that's more than enough.

Aven - just use the old flat shade and inverted poly trick if you want that look; use what's given in the brief [:)]

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 02/02/04 - 8:26 PM Permalink

What do you think the texture limit should be? I meant to ask you to help out with the tech side of things for the brief, but I forgot. A 512 per model?

Yes I think the texuture res would be very nice at 512 per character. 256 is very very small.

Polycount sounds very good to me, and with a highter texture res the challenage will be on the detail in the texture and saving them polys, kind of hi-end WC3 character or WOW character res :).

Submitted by souri on Tue, 03/02/04 - 12:43 AM Permalink

Usually we have a few days to comment and adjust the specs if needed (especially regarding the texture size, since no one would be up to that stage as of yet). So if enough of you want the texture sizes up to 512x512 each then I'm sure Jonathan will change it. I decided against photosourcing for this one because of the subject matter - doesn't seem appropriate to have realistic textures for these pokemon-ish models.
I know someone mentioned earlier that they didn't want a cute-ish model competition where all you'd do is stamp some balls on a sphere - let your imagination go nuts, people! You could decide to have fancy armour plates / mech armour, interesting animal / organism designs, wings, fur, weaponry etc.. it's just begging for some interesting models!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 03/02/04 - 1:03 AM Permalink

I too am looking forward to the designs in this comp.

The texture size has been adjusted to a 512 per character -- it seemed more people preferred that by the looks of things. I think it's a good idea if people include the main character as well as the sidekick in the concept art so we can see the two in context. The other one doesnt have to be modelled tho'.

That's the only change I've really made (texture size) and it's probably for the better. So no more changes from me!

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 03/02/04 - 1:51 AM Permalink

so it's 3200 polys between 3 characters? that seems awfully low. a little over 1000 each. or have i misread it?

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 03/02/04 - 2:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by LiveWire

so it's 3200 polys between 3 characters? that seems awfully low. a little over 1000 each. or have i misread it?

I don't think so, that what makes it a challenge :) and there is a lot you can do with a 1000 polys look at quake 3, characters are not much over a 1000 polys.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 03/02/04 - 7:10 AM Permalink

If your going to have around 1000 poly for the limit per version why not stay with the 256 per version limit too?
I work at 256 x 256 everyday and its tonnes especially for something that small and like Doord said it is a challenge right?.

But hey I probably won't enter, just stirring the proverbial crap. [:P]

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 03/02/04 - 7:12 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by J.I. Styles

Aven - just use the old flat shade and inverted poly trick if you want that look; use what's given in the brief [:)]

Yeah. That's what I meant by I have something else up my sleave. I just thought I would ask about NPR renders, as the brief doesn't say that they aren't allowed.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 03/02/04 - 8:31 AM Permalink

I say we should have one 512 texture to use, so we can can use it for the largest creature so its not all blurry? and just 256 for the other two.

gah! just an idea

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Tue, 03/02/04 - 9:26 AM Permalink

I think the limits in the brief are fine, its not called a challenge for nothin.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 03/02/04 - 11:17 AM Permalink

It's intentionally that way. Think about it - your first character might only be about 500 - 700 polys. Then your middle design might be about 900, that would still leave you with quite a few to play with.

Although you can do it anyway you want, in theory, your first creature will be smaller or less detailed -- perhaps the successive iterations will blow people away? Although, if you're really good, all three versions will knock peoples socks off.

There seems to be a fair bit of discussion about the texture size - I've changed it once (from 256 to 512) so I'm kinda reluctant to change it again. I suppose there's a fair bit of work in this challenge (3, maybe 4 designs) and the polycount is a lot less than previous challenges so the current texture limits kinda balance it out a bit, I think. I mean, if it were completely tough all the way, it would feel more like a chore than a challenge.

Also, with the 512 per creature limit, it brings up the question: "Who's going to use their texture maps the best?" We're all on the same page, so now the challenge is not only in furthering ourselves, but in pushing each other. And for some, it might be about actually finishing a challenge for a change (I'm one of these).

To order the rest of my motivational speeches, send extra RAM or chicken and cheese sandwiches to:

Jonathan Kerr
Sumeacity
Plot 31.

If you dont want to read the background go to the bold print. The background might give you a few ideas tho...

It's the first day of the week at your work since your last game went gold. The boss has called a meeting about his latest
'brainstorm.' A feeling of trepidation ensues.

"Soooo... I hear there's these new things called Poke-men," he proclaims. Your 'idiot sense' begins to tingle.

"Uh, sir? I think you mean Poke-mon. It's Japanese for Pocket Monsters," you reply. You've seen this look on
your boss' face before. The man's a buffoon and never up with the play in the industry -- it's a wonder the
company is still on its feet. His last brainstorm was a Hooters Waitressing Simulator where you served beer
and food to drunk patrons while trying to avoid food spills and groping hands. Needless to say, the game bombed
and several members of staff left to 'pursue other interests.'

"Well, whatever!" he blusters. "We're gonna make us a game where you have a sidekick buddy who can evolve every time
you feed it a special growth pill. It'll get new attacks and its appearance will change to reflect this. The evolution doesn't
necessarily have to mean getting bigger and stronger. The sidekick could get sleeker and meaner or maybe slower and more
heroic in nature."

Someone at work must have switched the coffee. The idea actually sounds half-decent.

"So tell me about these growth pills then," you ask, intrigued.

"Well I saw this new movie called The Matrix the other day," he begins. "The main character had to choose between a red pill and
a blue pill. So I figure that we could use that idea. You've got two red pills and two blue pills. Red pills make the creature more
aggressive/evil and the blue pills make the creature more heroic/good but you can only ever feed the creature a maximum of two pills or it'll revert to it's natural form. The changes to the creature should be reflected in it's appearance. A fully evilly aligned creature might have have scars, tattoos and red eyes or something. A heroic creature might have blue eyes and regal features. It's your call. It can be anything you want - a robot, a sea creature a pet mutant dog, whatever. It's gonna be aimed at kids and there's the potential for marketing spinoffs like stickers,
lunchboxes and Nickalodean cartoons."

You're genuinely intrigued. It's blatantly obvious that the boss has had a brain transplant.

"So, can you mix the pills up so that it can have features of both alignments or be neutral?" you ask.

"I don't see why not. It could be quite cool to have a sidekick that may not always respond to what you want it to do."

"Okay, so I've got to design 3 creatures then? One original sidekick, plus two evolved versions of the original creature, correct? You said it's a sidekick right? So do I have to design a heroic/villainous owner as well?"

"You can if you want, but we've got someone else doing the main character designs. However, if your idea is better, we'll use it. You might want to show some correlation between the two. A collar or communication device or something."

"Sweet. So what are the constraints and what do I need to submit?"

"Well, it's gonna be aimed at the 6 - 12 years old market so don't have guts and heads bursting out of bodies. You can draw it in any style you want but just keep the target market in mind. You'll need a concept for each of the stages that the creature is at. If you want, you can show thumbnails or roughs and working drawings. Since our entire 3d team left at the end of the last project,you'll need to do a 3d model for each of the stages as well and dont forget to show your wireframes. Since we'll be using the Hooters Waitressing Simulation engine to save costs, that means you'll have 3200 polygons
and you can distribute that over the three creatures as you see fit. If you want to do the main character as well - stick to a budget of around 2000 polygons.

For textures, you can use a 512 texture sheet for each of the evolutionary stages. If you decide to do the main character as well, you can use a 512 for that as well.
Don't forget to show your UVs.

Then finally we'd like to see some sort of a splash page that we'll show to publishers done in any way you like but we need to have it done before or on April 1st.

"So whats the game called then?" you enquire.

Gazing skywards, your boss stretches his arms out wide, "I was thinking something along the lines of: Evolution Extrrreeeeeeeeemmme!!!"

THEME: Create a marketable sidekick character with one original form and two evolved forms (3 in total). It can be anything from a robot, a pokemon-eque creature
to a sea urchin. Make it appealling - doesn't necessarily have to be cute but G-rated is best. Creature can evolve as a hero or villain (read above brief) - what would happen
if the creature was heroic but the main character was villainous? And vice versa?

STYLE: Any you want. Just remember you're trying to appeal to the lucrative 6-12 year old market, so parents are also a consideration. Ideally your product would be
easily put on lunchboxes, stickers etc.

RESTRICTIONS: No blood and guts. No detachable guns or real world bullet shooters. ie - shooting water or lava is fine, bullets/lasers are not). Try and show the link between the first and third stage of evolution. Eg - why would a creature have
full flowing wings from one step to the next?

Kiwi's and Ockers only. Unless of course, you've got residency or you send me copious amounts of money.

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: 3 concept illustrations/sketches/pieces (one for each of the evolutionary stages). Judged on design, not technical ability.
Include working sketches, WIPs (optional).
Default lit orthographics (side, front etc) as well as any shots you think might be necessary to convey your idea.
Untextured wireframe
Texture flats
Splash Page - be creative. Maybe you could do this as a sticker for a lunchbox?
A name for the character(s). Make it catchy.
A logo with the pair (optional).

OPTIONAL: the main character to go with the sidekick - as above, but include it/him/her in the splash page. Just one concept needed though.

EDIT/CLARIFICATION: In short, do a concept for your main character, but you don't have to model it.

TECHNICAL CONSTRAINTS: (not set in concrete - open to change if forum members are unsatisfied).

3200 polys over the 3 versions. Distribute as you see fit.
2000 polys for the main character/owner (optional)
1 512 texture sheet for each version of the creature.
1 x 512 texture sheet for the main character (optional)
Alphas are allowed.
Cannabilism allowed - but only from models used in this comp. ie - you dont have to remake each vers from scratch.
No photosourcing.

In case you hadn't noticed, this framework is based upon Malus' one from the last comp.

*EDIT* Due to popular demand, the comp has been adjusted so that each evolutionary stage can use a 512 map (instead of the 256 previously).

EDIT: Hero concept is required, but doesn't have to be modelled. The definition of 'no guns' has been clarified - basically, no bullets, lasers, mortar shells. You can twist this meanings tho' eg - maybe the creature fires stinkbomb pellets (kinda like mortar shells but not).

If you can find loopholes in the brief, go for it (it's called thinking outside the square). It's proof of good design to be able to interpret a brief in a different light.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 02/02/04 - 12:26 AM Permalink

Don't forget the naming conventions for your threads. Post a new thread (showing your progress and final works), naming it like:

Sumea Challenge #5 -3D- Yourname

If you have any questions on the rules and guidelines above, please post it in this thread.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 02/02/04 - 12:32 AM Permalink

Obviously, this is a framework -- if there is a general consensus to have something changed, then we (the forum) can work something out.

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Mon, 02/02/04 - 12:50 AM Permalink

Is it 1X512 texture sheet for all stages or 3X256 texture sheets(one for each stage of evolution)?

I think this needs to be clear because it says two different things in the brief.

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 02/02/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

Hi all,

This sounds like a very cool sumea competition and im sure everyone will enjoy doing it.

Good luck to all entrants and im sure we will see a number of great side kick characters.
It is also worth entering because there is a great prize for it and as usual it is a good portfolio work once it is completed.

good luck can't wait to see everyones entries.

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 02/02/04 - 1:34 AM Permalink

Hey wow - nice open topic Jonathan. Cheers! Excellent write up as well.

I'm not sure it's a great idea to have an optional main character, maybe limit that to concept. ie. if you want to show the main character as well, include a concept (not a model).

Sounds great. (No guns! wOOt)

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 02/02/04 - 1:39 AM Permalink

ooh, sounds like fun :)
*Dusts off "3d modelling for dummies"*

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 02/02/04 - 2:27 AM Permalink

Closes on April 1st? Does that make this some kind of sick April Fools joke? [;)]

Submitted by jacobt on Mon, 02/02/04 - 3:59 AM Permalink

This is a great brief, made me laugh a bit too, cheers Jonathan [:)]

One thing I would like to see is some photosourcing allowed. There are many different sides to the debate about this. I'm not sure what other's opinions are here on Sumea, but from what I understand photosourcing is an important part of an efficent professional artist's job, so I wouldn't mind practising it.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 02/02/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

original -> red -> blue.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 02/02/04 - 5:13 AM Permalink

Sounds like a nice challenging brief. I like Palantir's idea of being able to design a good version and a bad version, or just a three step evolution.

Looks like I'm going to have to watch more kids cartoons again to get style ideas :)

And for those who need some help
http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/digipedia/

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 02/02/04 - 8:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by palantir

original -> red -> blue.

You can do it how you want. I mean, you could evolve your creature in a good way and then evolve it with a bad pill so that all the features it gained in the previous iteration take on a twisted form and then some.

BTW - having looked at some of those digimon designs, should we drop the 'no guns' policy?

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 02/02/04 - 9:01 AM Permalink

I think that the 'no guns' policy should be dropped to something like 'no detachable guns'. ie the weapon should actually be attached to the creature.

The poly count seems fine, but I do have a little concern with the texture limit. The low res is to force people to make it more simplistic and cartoony right? Are you allowed to use a NPR renderer (Non Photo-realistic render. Cell shading)? Make it like the JSR and Warner Brothers games.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 02/02/04 - 9:36 AM Permalink

Submitted by davidcoen on Mon, 02/02/04 - 11:09 AM Permalink

must resist urge to design something subversivly deviant~ will see if i can think of anything 'nightmarishly cute' that would work :))

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 02/02/04 - 6:48 PM Permalink

I think that 512 would br a little more fair for each evolution. There really isn't much point asking me, I haven't made a low poly character in bloody ages :p

I still think that it would be cool if NPR renders are allowed. If they are, then 1x512 would be more than fine as you can get away with doing more simplistic flat texturing. You only need the texture space for faces and little decorations. Perhaps an option?

If NPR renders aren't allowed though, there is still another trick up my sleave ;)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 02/02/04 - 7:03 PM Permalink

quote:Also - are people okay with the poly counts?

I think they are fine, you set them, we do them, that is the nature of a competition, or a brief.

As for the texture limit of 1 x 256 each, I am also cool with that.

I recommend that no changes be made post the start of a comp, clarifications yes, but changes no.
Making changes to the basic structure after the start of a comp is bad form.
I don?t want to have to come back here every few days to make sure that any work I have done has not been rendered redundant by changes in the comp structure.
Once it?s out there, let it rest.

Pantmonger

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 02/02/04 - 7:58 PM Permalink

I totally agree with pants; Let it rest.

For instance, I'm a firm believer of the no-photosourcing, but I also have to grudgingly live with the concept technical/visual quality not being judged.

The brief is set. Go to it. With 4 possible evolutions and 1 512x512 texture sheet that = 1 256x256 each evolution, with overlaps possible; that's more than enough.

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 02/02/04 - 8:26 PM Permalink

Yes I think the texuture res would be very nice at 512 per character. 256 is very very small.

Polycount sounds very good to me, and with a highter texture res the challenage will be on the detail in the texture and saving them polys, kind of hi-end WC3 character or WOW character res :).

Submitted by souri on Tue, 03/02/04 - 12:43 AM Permalink

Usually we have a few days to comment and adjust the specs if needed (especially regarding the texture size, since no one would be up to that stage as of yet). So if enough of you want the texture sizes up to 512x512 each then I'm sure Jonathan will change it. I decided against photosourcing for this one because of the subject matter - doesn't seem appropriate to have realistic textures for these pokemon-ish models.
I know someone mentioned earlier that they didn't want a cute-ish model competition where all you'd do is stamp some balls on a sphere - let your imagination go nuts, people! You could decide to have fancy armour plates / mech armour, interesting animal / organism designs, wings, fur, weaponry etc.. it's just begging for some interesting models!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 03/02/04 - 1:03 AM Permalink

I too am looking forward to the designs in this comp.

The texture size has been adjusted to a 512 per character -- it seemed more people preferred that by the looks of things. I think it's a good idea if people include the main character as well as the sidekick in the concept art so we can see the two in context. The other one doesnt have to be modelled tho'.

That's the only change I've really made (texture size) and it's probably for the better. So no more changes from me!

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 03/02/04 - 1:51 AM Permalink

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 03/02/04 - 2:27 AM Permalink

I don't think so, that what makes it a challenge :) and there is a lot you can do with a 1000 polys look at quake 3, characters are not much over a 1000 polys.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 03/02/04 - 7:10 AM Permalink

If your going to have around 1000 poly for the limit per version why not stay with the 256 per version limit too?
I work at 256 x 256 everyday and its tonnes especially for something that small and like Doord said it is a challenge right?.

But hey I probably won't enter, just stirring the proverbial crap. [:P]

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 03/02/04 - 7:12 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by J.I. Styles

Yeah. That's what I meant by I have something else up my sleave. I just thought I would ask about NPR renders, as the brief doesn't say that they aren't allowed.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 03/02/04 - 8:31 AM Permalink

I say we should have one 512 texture to use, so we can can use it for the largest creature so its not all blurry? and just 256 for the other two.

gah! just an idea

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Tue, 03/02/04 - 9:26 AM Permalink

I think the limits in the brief are fine, its not called a challenge for nothin.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 03/02/04 - 11:17 AM Permalink

It's intentionally that way. Think about it - your first character might only be about 500 - 700 polys. Then your middle design might be about 900, that would still leave you with quite a few to play with.

Although you can do it anyway you want, in theory, your first creature will be smaller or less detailed -- perhaps the successive iterations will blow people away? Although, if you're really good, all three versions will knock peoples socks off.

There seems to be a fair bit of discussion about the texture size - I've changed it once (from 256 to 512) so I'm kinda reluctant to change it again. I suppose there's a fair bit of work in this challenge (3, maybe 4 designs) and the polycount is a lot less than previous challenges so the current texture limits kinda balance it out a bit, I think. I mean, if it were completely tough all the way, it would feel more like a chore than a challenge.

Also, with the 512 per creature limit, it brings up the question: "Who's going to use their texture maps the best?" We're all on the same page, so now the challenge is not only in furthering ourselves, but in pushing each other. And for some, it might be about actually finishing a challenge for a change (I'm one of these).

To order the rest of my motivational speeches, send extra RAM or chicken and cheese sandwiches to:

Jonathan Kerr
Sumeacity
Plot 31.