Skip to main content

My new Wacom (Yay)

Submitted by Aven on
Forum

Work told me that I had 24hrs overtime pay that had been sitting there for a few weeks. They paid it out last week, so I ended up with a nice bonus of $350. I added the extra and ordered a brand new Wacom Intuos2 6x8. I just picked it up this morning from the Software Shop, but I haven't had time to plug it in. I'll give it a thorough testing this afternoon and over the weekend. I can then let people know how good the Intuos2's are compared to the Graphires (I have a Graphire1).

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 07/11/03 - 12:24 AM Permalink

Cool. I just got my Graphire 3 6x8 yesterday, been using it non-stop since.

Submitted by Djenx on Fri, 07/11/03 - 12:40 AM Permalink

I should be getting a graphire 3 by the end of the week [:D]

O btw hi every one [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 07/11/03 - 12:42 AM Permalink

Hello Djenx. Welcome. Will it be your first Wacom? If so, I think you will like it a lot (think? shit. I KNOW you will love it :D)

Submitted by Djenx on Fri, 07/11/03 - 1:26 AM Permalink

This will be my first wacom/graphics tablet [:)]

I've been playing around with 3d modelling for about a year and a half now, and I thought it was about time I learned how to make some proper textures rather than just using procedural maps which don?t work well with characters : (. I had a shot at it with my mouse but its a little clumsy(like drawing on a chalk board with a spare try)so I decide to get a tablet .....Well that and digital painting looks so fun [:D]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 07/11/03 - 2:35 AM Permalink

quote:I think you will like it a lot (think? shit. I KNOW you will love it :D)

I've had mine for 1 and a bit days and now I can't live without it.

quote:I had a shot at it with my mouse but its a little clumsy(like drawing on a chalk board with a spare try)

lol. I found it possible with a Laser mouse but the results and the stiff wrist aren't worth it.

quote:Just to make everyone here cry...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=4353c8b08186545e8caab8ddf91feb2a…

He must be truly amasing to do THAT with a mouse :O

I've seen that on GFX when he won the T-shirt comp. My eyes popped out of my head when I found out he used a mouse.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 07/11/03 - 2:44 AM Permalink

Aven I can tell you that that the Intruos2 are a huge step better then the Graphire2. My work wacom is a Intruos2 and my home one is a Graphire2. I seen the spec and all of the two and didn't know if i would notic the changes. I find the differece between the two the same as the differece between a mouse and a Graphire2. But I don't know how much my art work had gain from it because i havn't had the chace to get it a good work out :(.

Anyway you should have fun putting it to the test.

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 07/11/03 - 3:35 AM Permalink

I have had a good go with it now, and I do like it a lot more. Although the newer Graphires may have fixed the probs that I had with my Graphire1. The cursor seems to be a lot more stable. This could be as it is just newer than my old one or becasue it is twice the size. The size is taking a bit of getting used to. No more flicking my wrist and watching the cursor teleport all over the screen :( After a week though, I should be fine again. I just haven't used that large a Wacom for nearly four years (wow, it has really been that long). The extra pressure steps wont make too much of a difference at the moment, but with Photoshop CS being launched today, and a lot of other companies moving from 8bit to 16bit colour palletes, the difference will soon become noticable. I really wanted it for the Tool Box at the top. Change pressure settings with the flick of a wrist :D~~~~ No more having to keep the Wacom window open and continusly change it. The one thing that I am really disapointed with though is the demo version of ComicStudio Mini. The way they were talking about it on their site, makes it sound AWESOME. The demo version that comes with it is very sad. Looks like there is another app I need to save up for (sigh, so many). The demo for it can be dl here http://www.celsys.co.jp/download/cs/index.html Just hold your mouse over the Japanese text and look at the bottom of your screen to see the name of the URL to help you to dl it.

Submitted by Djenx on Fri, 07/11/03 - 3:48 AM Permalink

I was thinking of getting a Intruos2 but the only one I could possibly afford is the 4x5 which is a little small for my liking, and is another $80 [V]

Posted by Aven on
Forum

Work told me that I had 24hrs overtime pay that had been sitting there for a few weeks. They paid it out last week, so I ended up with a nice bonus of $350. I added the extra and ordered a brand new Wacom Intuos2 6x8. I just picked it up this morning from the Software Shop, but I haven't had time to plug it in. I'll give it a thorough testing this afternoon and over the weekend. I can then let people know how good the Intuos2's are compared to the Graphires (I have a Graphire1).

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 07/11/03 - 12:24 AM Permalink

Cool. I just got my Graphire 3 6x8 yesterday, been using it non-stop since.

Submitted by Djenx on Fri, 07/11/03 - 12:40 AM Permalink

I should be getting a graphire 3 by the end of the week [:D]

O btw hi every one [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 07/11/03 - 12:42 AM Permalink

Hello Djenx. Welcome. Will it be your first Wacom? If so, I think you will like it a lot (think? shit. I KNOW you will love it :D)

Submitted by Djenx on Fri, 07/11/03 - 1:26 AM Permalink

This will be my first wacom/graphics tablet [:)]

I've been playing around with 3d modelling for about a year and a half now, and I thought it was about time I learned how to make some proper textures rather than just using procedural maps which don?t work well with characters : (. I had a shot at it with my mouse but its a little clumsy(like drawing on a chalk board with a spare try)so I decide to get a tablet .....Well that and digital painting looks so fun [:D]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 07/11/03 - 2:35 AM Permalink

quote:I think you will like it a lot (think? shit. I KNOW you will love it :D)

I've had mine for 1 and a bit days and now I can't live without it.

quote:I had a shot at it with my mouse but its a little clumsy(like drawing on a chalk board with a spare try)

lol. I found it possible with a Laser mouse but the results and the stiff wrist aren't worth it.

quote:Just to make everyone here cry...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=4353c8b08186545e8caab8ddf91feb2a…

He must be truly amasing to do THAT with a mouse :O

I've seen that on GFX when he won the T-shirt comp. My eyes popped out of my head when I found out he used a mouse.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 07/11/03 - 2:44 AM Permalink

Aven I can tell you that that the Intruos2 are a huge step better then the Graphire2. My work wacom is a Intruos2 and my home one is a Graphire2. I seen the spec and all of the two and didn't know if i would notic the changes. I find the differece between the two the same as the differece between a mouse and a Graphire2. But I don't know how much my art work had gain from it because i havn't had the chace to get it a good work out :(.

Anyway you should have fun putting it to the test.

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 07/11/03 - 3:35 AM Permalink

I have had a good go with it now, and I do like it a lot more. Although the newer Graphires may have fixed the probs that I had with my Graphire1. The cursor seems to be a lot more stable. This could be as it is just newer than my old one or becasue it is twice the size. The size is taking a bit of getting used to. No more flicking my wrist and watching the cursor teleport all over the screen :( After a week though, I should be fine again. I just haven't used that large a Wacom for nearly four years (wow, it has really been that long). The extra pressure steps wont make too much of a difference at the moment, but with Photoshop CS being launched today, and a lot of other companies moving from 8bit to 16bit colour palletes, the difference will soon become noticable. I really wanted it for the Tool Box at the top. Change pressure settings with the flick of a wrist :D~~~~ No more having to keep the Wacom window open and continusly change it. The one thing that I am really disapointed with though is the demo version of ComicStudio Mini. The way they were talking about it on their site, makes it sound AWESOME. The demo version that comes with it is very sad. Looks like there is another app I need to save up for (sigh, so many). The demo for it can be dl here http://www.celsys.co.jp/download/cs/index.html Just hold your mouse over the Japanese text and look at the bottom of your screen to see the name of the URL to help you to dl it.

Submitted by Djenx on Fri, 07/11/03 - 3:48 AM Permalink

I was thinking of getting a Intruos2 but the only one I could possibly afford is the 4x5 which is a little small for my liking, and is another $80 [V]