Skip to main content

Start modelling, 3d that is.

Submitted by matias on
Forum

Yeah I want to get into a bit of 3d to boost up my multi-skilling, heh, but can't afford to buy a proper prgram atm.

I was looking at gmax, is that any good, is there anything for free that is better, something simple enough to learn on, or should I just go with gmax even tho it cant render, can it?

oh well anyone who's been thru this or knows about this stuff, heeelp!

Cheers
matias

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 31/12/03 - 10:30 AM Permalink

There is quite a few free "lite" versions of 3d software. Theres Maya and XSI versions as well.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 31/12/03 - 8:28 PM Permalink

I use gmax simply for the fact it's free and easy to learn on. It's also very similar to 3dsmax which means that i can change to Max quite easily later. But if you have broadband download the 30 day trial version of 3Dsmax from discreet.com. There are also a lot of other learning editions like as makk said. Max is great because it's very widely used which means their are a lot of tutorials. Also don't choose a program by the gallery on it's website (someone told me this long ago and it is good advice) I saw the Maya gallery and got the learning edition because of that. But it is a hard program to get into if you are a n00b like me.

Submitted by matias on Wed, 31/12/03 - 9:25 PM Permalink

Thanks, I'll go check these ones out, I had worked a bit on lightwave, but yeah thanks for your ideas!

cheers

Submitted by matias on Mon, 05/01/04 - 3:48 AM Permalink

I decided to go with gmax, purely because of the amount of info and tutes it has out there, oh and also because it is close to 3ds max.

cheers

Posted by matias on
Forum

Yeah I want to get into a bit of 3d to boost up my multi-skilling, heh, but can't afford to buy a proper prgram atm.

I was looking at gmax, is that any good, is there anything for free that is better, something simple enough to learn on, or should I just go with gmax even tho it cant render, can it?

oh well anyone who's been thru this or knows about this stuff, heeelp!

Cheers
matias

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 31/12/03 - 10:30 AM Permalink

There is quite a few free "lite" versions of 3d software. Theres Maya and XSI versions as well.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 31/12/03 - 8:28 PM Permalink

I use gmax simply for the fact it's free and easy to learn on. It's also very similar to 3dsmax which means that i can change to Max quite easily later. But if you have broadband download the 30 day trial version of 3Dsmax from discreet.com. There are also a lot of other learning editions like as makk said. Max is great because it's very widely used which means their are a lot of tutorials. Also don't choose a program by the gallery on it's website (someone told me this long ago and it is good advice) I saw the Maya gallery and got the learning edition because of that. But it is a hard program to get into if you are a n00b like me.

Submitted by matias on Wed, 31/12/03 - 9:25 PM Permalink

Thanks, I'll go check these ones out, I had worked a bit on lightwave, but yeah thanks for your ideas!

cheers

Submitted by matias on Mon, 05/01/04 - 3:48 AM Permalink

I decided to go with gmax, purely because of the amount of info and tutes it has out there, oh and also because it is close to 3ds max.

cheers