Skip to main content

Bye bye Acclaim

Submitted by Blitz on
Forum
Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 31/08/04 - 11:35 PM Permalink

Apparently failed projects hurt the publishers too...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 01/09/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

i didnt really think when i heard about Z-axis being bought or Critereon how all of acclaims hits were being taken away from them. Never like to hear about any company crashing :(

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 01/09/04 - 11:27 PM Permalink

They actually had some promising games in development, Juiced, Red Star (both of which i believe are only a month or two from release?) and... <.< >.> AFL Live 2005 :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Wed, 08/09/04 - 3:20 PM Permalink

I got a playable demo of Juiced on a coverdisk, and I thought it was pretty ordinary. But yeh, Acclaim haven't been putting out quality or successful titles out for quite some time. BMX-XXX was a huge stinker, Turok's sequel didn't recoup on all the promotion and development costs involved, and you can only push so many Mortal Kombat titles before it gets silly.. Just like Eidos, the money is just gonna dry up sooner or later.

Of course, it's sad to see a once prominent and familiar publisher disappear, but so many equally large (and even more influential, in my opinion) publishers have gone since the 80's..

Curious to know what will happen to AFL Live 2005 as well.

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 09/09/04 - 1:33 AM Permalink

AFL 2005 will continue development, Acclaim weren't directly funding the project. Will still need to find a new publisher though. Can't really say much more i think :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/09/04 - 11:27 AM Permalink

AFL Live gets a quite fair few hits on this site (probably one of the most out of Sumea's local games listing). I'm sure there'd be quite an outcry if 2005 doesn't get published... heck, they should just distribute it themselves [:)]

Posted by Blitz on
Forum

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 31/08/04 - 11:35 PM Permalink

Apparently failed projects hurt the publishers too...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 01/09/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

i didnt really think when i heard about Z-axis being bought or Critereon how all of acclaims hits were being taken away from them. Never like to hear about any company crashing :(

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 01/09/04 - 11:27 PM Permalink

They actually had some promising games in development, Juiced, Red Star (both of which i believe are only a month or two from release?) and... <.< >.> AFL Live 2005 :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Wed, 08/09/04 - 3:20 PM Permalink

I got a playable demo of Juiced on a coverdisk, and I thought it was pretty ordinary. But yeh, Acclaim haven't been putting out quality or successful titles out for quite some time. BMX-XXX was a huge stinker, Turok's sequel didn't recoup on all the promotion and development costs involved, and you can only push so many Mortal Kombat titles before it gets silly.. Just like Eidos, the money is just gonna dry up sooner or later.

Of course, it's sad to see a once prominent and familiar publisher disappear, but so many equally large (and even more influential, in my opinion) publishers have gone since the 80's..

Curious to know what will happen to AFL Live 2005 as well.

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 09/09/04 - 1:33 AM Permalink

AFL 2005 will continue development, Acclaim weren't directly funding the project. Will still need to find a new publisher though. Can't really say much more i think :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/09/04 - 11:27 AM Permalink

AFL Live gets a quite fair few hits on this site (probably one of the most out of Sumea's local games listing). I'm sure there'd be quite an outcry if 2005 doesn't get published... heck, they should just distribute it themselves [:)]