Skip to main content

vrml

Submitted by dug on
Forum

Hi all

got a ? for youz

what is the latest version currently used for vrml or 3d walk through programs for either on the net or with a downloaded reader exe. ?

i use 3ds max4 and only gotthe option for vrml 97 export

i imagine by now there must be some better format and reader combos to use

thanks for the tips

ps this site rips...

Submitted by rezn0r on Sun, 30/05/04 - 8:58 PM Permalink

VRML is kinda legacy tech. It comes from the "lawnmower man" generation that expected us to be wearing VR headsets and browsing the net in 3D today.

As far as I know, the official standard remains at vrml97, although companies that create the clients to view VRML add to their own standard. Last time I checked, the Cortona plugin by Parallel Graphics (www.parallelgraphics.com), was the way to go.

There are a lot of things that made VRML unsuccessful, including the superior 3D capabilities of Director 3D, and the fact that MS IE didn't include its VRML player after version 4.

Scott.

Submitted by dug on Sat, 05/06/04 - 6:50 PM Permalink

thanks scott

just looking for good ideas to make 3d presentations of event layouts for anybody to explore

if anybody else has some good ideas dont hesitate...

lawnmower man was cool huh

A+ et merci

Posted by dug on
Forum

Hi all

got a ? for youz

what is the latest version currently used for vrml or 3d walk through programs for either on the net or with a downloaded reader exe. ?

i use 3ds max4 and only gotthe option for vrml 97 export

i imagine by now there must be some better format and reader combos to use

thanks for the tips

ps this site rips...

Submitted by rezn0r on Sun, 30/05/04 - 8:58 PM Permalink

VRML is kinda legacy tech. It comes from the "lawnmower man" generation that expected us to be wearing VR headsets and browsing the net in 3D today.

As far as I know, the official standard remains at vrml97, although companies that create the clients to view VRML add to their own standard. Last time I checked, the Cortona plugin by Parallel Graphics (www.parallelgraphics.com), was the way to go.

There are a lot of things that made VRML unsuccessful, including the superior 3D capabilities of Director 3D, and the fact that MS IE didn't include its VRML player after version 4.

Scott.

Submitted by dug on Sat, 05/06/04 - 6:50 PM Permalink

thanks scott

just looking for good ideas to make 3d presentations of event layouts for anybody to explore

if anybody else has some good ideas dont hesitate...

lawnmower man was cool huh

A+ et merci