Skip to main content

Quick scribbles at work

Submitted by J I Styles on

...Because sometimes you just need a 10 min break, but don't want to put the stylus down.

[img]http://server5.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-goblin.jpg[/img]

probably add more as I do them [8)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 30/01/04 - 5:11 AM Permalink

10 minutes ey. Multiply that by ten and you'll get the time it would take me to draw just the nostrils for that picture. Very Nice

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 30/01/04 - 5:49 AM Permalink

Very nicely made JI. The nostrils look a little odd, but you may want them to be that narrow.

I love your wording for stylus ;) Not Wacom.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/01/04 - 7:25 AM Permalink

nice work with that one, i just did a scribble before of a sort of militia character in 10 minutes and mine looks not half as good!

probably intented and inspired by but it has a very gollum... atmosphere. The whole sort of cold clammy looking and pale skin and so on.

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 30/01/04 - 8:27 AM Permalink

10 minutes? are your serious? man, thats great :)
looks cool, I know its just a sketch but his chin is a bit too pronounced i think.

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 30/01/04 - 9:44 AM Permalink

Nice colours... Skin looks really good.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 30/01/04 - 11:24 AM Permalink

Are there many layers in there or are you just painting over the same layer?

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 30/01/04 - 1:09 PM Permalink

Love the colour!

I agree with Avens comment on the nose. I think it looks odd because it should be pointing to the right rather than towards us.

hot work for a 10min sketch though.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 30/01/04 - 7:45 PM Permalink

hehe, yeah the nose is umm... broken in several places? [:D] It was originally going to be thinner vertical slits more closely conforming to the skull, but screwed the bridge and then everything around it up [:)]

JonathanKerr: Stuff like this I just use a flat canvas, 1600x1200. Layed the base brown down then a desaturated green to pull some form out of it (kinda like a sketch using lighting instead of linework - can't remember what that's called? Anyone?), layed down a few more colours for shadows and skin colours, and then it's just a matter of changing brush size and alt+sampling the colours I've got down already.

Submitted by jwalduck on Sat, 31/01/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

It's like the nose is following me...

...creepy

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 31/01/04 - 6:10 AM Permalink

oh and yeah

that better be a 10 minute break that went for 3 hours.. you bastard!!!!

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 31/01/04 - 10:25 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by jwalduck

lol

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 03/02/04 - 10:54 PM Permalink

Your colour and tone is phenomenal. The head however, just looks like it's sitting there - the body in the suit looks kinda disembodied.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 04/02/04 - 1:28 AM Permalink

aye, that does look weird.

i think the face should be getting some of the colour from that thar suit.. maybe the head could sit lower, and face the same direction the suit is.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 04/02/04 - 5:12 AM Permalink

I agree it's hard to read with the guy there - the dude's within the suit, so his arms only go around half way into the suits arms, and the same with the legs - it's an extension more than a suit.

hehe, think I just didn't choose the face and hair tones very well :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 04/02/04 - 6:41 AM Permalink

I think it looks great especially the exagerated features such as huge feet.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 04/02/04 - 8:49 AM Permalink

Cool, nice rendering, fireworks!! How much time was this one?
The side of his torso has caved in way too much, yet on the other side there its pretty straight. And one arm looks bigger then the other.
Keep it up :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 04/02/04 - 9:56 AM Permalink

that one was a bit longer than the other, two short sittings, I'd say around 40 minutes all up.

This one was an attempt at trying a block+refine method - pretty much lay down your mass and volume with your base colours in a quick couple brush strokes (I'm talking really dodgey stuff here), and the sampling the colours you've just put down, go over it again and refine it a little, then repeat as many more times as you want until it's "done". Since it never started with any sketch or clear idea I think that's why it got so heavily skewed :) think I'll try the same approach but start with a loose lined sketch next time.

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 21/02/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

got some more time recently to do another - also remembered to do some work in progress shots. I've found these are great to just practice something I feel weak at, and they're a great way to stop thinking too [:)]

[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-ork_wip5.jpg[/img]

I may end up taking this one a little further and finishing it off.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 21/02/04 - 6:37 AM Permalink

You have got skill, that's all that needs to be said, it reminds me of grunt from quake 3

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 21/02/04 - 7:31 AM Permalink

Very nice :)
He has a funny shaped head though.
Good lighting.
Really like the clouds

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 21/02/04 - 8:46 AM Permalink

is cool, but the pose makes me go ouchie.

that is, until I realised that this guy is a ladies man, and at the pub!
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/joelsorc.jpg[/img]
On a more meaningful note - this guys center of mass is pushing leftwards from his hip.. Without an effective counter balance (the bar :D) it looks like he's going to fall over.

Oh, and apply some perspective to the right arm and leg.. The right knee should be slightly higher and smaller - look at the way the hip is, theres no way they'd be parralell.

Anyways! good job for a quickie. I want your skills!!

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 21/02/04 - 8:55 AM Permalink

matt: lol love the improvements [:D]
and in answer to the comments, I could do that... or I could spend more than 2 minutes doodling in a quick shitty sketch to base the rest off of [;)]

honestly, it's got a heap of problems if you want to get into it - main thing I was aiming for in this one was atmospherics - matching surface properties and elements to other things. since these start off as blobs of colour, they only end up as refined blobs of colour, which is the reason why they're all quite... "off" [:)] but hey, that's what I get for spending a real limited time in the design stage I guess [:D]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 21/02/04 - 9:00 AM Permalink

Yeah, I was just being picky... You know.. Prove you are still human and all.

Now.. Back to the salt mines with you.. and don't come out until you have a gift wrapped copy of Rome total war for me.. Theres a good bloke!!

...Because sometimes you just need a 10 min break, but don't want to put the stylus down.

[img]http://server5.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-goblin.jpg[/img]

probably add more as I do them [8)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 30/01/04 - 5:11 AM Permalink

10 minutes ey. Multiply that by ten and you'll get the time it would take me to draw just the nostrils for that picture. Very Nice

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 30/01/04 - 5:49 AM Permalink

Very nicely made JI. The nostrils look a little odd, but you may want them to be that narrow.

I love your wording for stylus ;) Not Wacom.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/01/04 - 7:25 AM Permalink

nice work with that one, i just did a scribble before of a sort of militia character in 10 minutes and mine looks not half as good!

probably intented and inspired by but it has a very gollum... atmosphere. The whole sort of cold clammy looking and pale skin and so on.

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 30/01/04 - 8:27 AM Permalink

10 minutes? are your serious? man, thats great :)
looks cool, I know its just a sketch but his chin is a bit too pronounced i think.

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 30/01/04 - 9:44 AM Permalink

Nice colours... Skin looks really good.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 30/01/04 - 11:24 AM Permalink

Are there many layers in there or are you just painting over the same layer?

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 30/01/04 - 1:09 PM Permalink

Love the colour!

I agree with Avens comment on the nose. I think it looks odd because it should be pointing to the right rather than towards us.

hot work for a 10min sketch though.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 30/01/04 - 7:45 PM Permalink

hehe, yeah the nose is umm... broken in several places? [:D] It was originally going to be thinner vertical slits more closely conforming to the skull, but screwed the bridge and then everything around it up [:)]

JonathanKerr: Stuff like this I just use a flat canvas, 1600x1200. Layed the base brown down then a desaturated green to pull some form out of it (kinda like a sketch using lighting instead of linework - can't remember what that's called? Anyone?), layed down a few more colours for shadows and skin colours, and then it's just a matter of changing brush size and alt+sampling the colours I've got down already.

Submitted by jwalduck on Sat, 31/01/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

...creepy

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 31/01/04 - 6:10 AM Permalink

oh and yeah

that better be a 10 minute break that went for 3 hours.. you bastard!!!!

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 31/01/04 - 10:25 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by jwalduck

lol

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 03/02/04 - 10:54 PM Permalink

Your colour and tone is phenomenal. The head however, just looks like it's sitting there - the body in the suit looks kinda disembodied.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 04/02/04 - 1:28 AM Permalink

aye, that does look weird.

i think the face should be getting some of the colour from that thar suit.. maybe the head could sit lower, and face the same direction the suit is.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 04/02/04 - 5:12 AM Permalink

I agree it's hard to read with the guy there - the dude's within the suit, so his arms only go around half way into the suits arms, and the same with the legs - it's an extension more than a suit.

hehe, think I just didn't choose the face and hair tones very well :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 04/02/04 - 6:41 AM Permalink

I think it looks great especially the exagerated features such as huge feet.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 04/02/04 - 8:49 AM Permalink

Cool, nice rendering, fireworks!! How much time was this one?
The side of his torso has caved in way too much, yet on the other side there its pretty straight. And one arm looks bigger then the other.
Keep it up :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 04/02/04 - 9:56 AM Permalink

that one was a bit longer than the other, two short sittings, I'd say around 40 minutes all up.

This one was an attempt at trying a block+refine method - pretty much lay down your mass and volume with your base colours in a quick couple brush strokes (I'm talking really dodgey stuff here), and the sampling the colours you've just put down, go over it again and refine it a little, then repeat as many more times as you want until it's "done". Since it never started with any sketch or clear idea I think that's why it got so heavily skewed :) think I'll try the same approach but start with a loose lined sketch next time.

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 21/02/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

got some more time recently to do another - also remembered to do some work in progress shots. I've found these are great to just practice something I feel weak at, and they're a great way to stop thinking too [:)]

[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-ork_wip5.jpg[/img]

I may end up taking this one a little further and finishing it off.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 21/02/04 - 6:37 AM Permalink

You have got skill, that's all that needs to be said, it reminds me of grunt from quake 3

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 21/02/04 - 7:31 AM Permalink

Very nice :)
He has a funny shaped head though.
Good lighting.
Really like the clouds

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 21/02/04 - 8:46 AM Permalink

is cool, but the pose makes me go ouchie.

that is, until I realised that this guy is a ladies man, and at the pub!
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/joelsorc.jpg[/img]
On a more meaningful note - this guys center of mass is pushing leftwards from his hip.. Without an effective counter balance (the bar :D) it looks like he's going to fall over.

Oh, and apply some perspective to the right arm and leg.. The right knee should be slightly higher and smaller - look at the way the hip is, theres no way they'd be parralell.

Anyways! good job for a quickie. I want your skills!!

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 21/02/04 - 8:55 AM Permalink

matt: lol love the improvements [:D]
and in answer to the comments, I could do that... or I could spend more than 2 minutes doodling in a quick shitty sketch to base the rest off of [;)]

honestly, it's got a heap of problems if you want to get into it - main thing I was aiming for in this one was atmospherics - matching surface properties and elements to other things. since these start off as blobs of colour, they only end up as refined blobs of colour, which is the reason why they're all quite... "off" [:)] but hey, that's what I get for spending a real limited time in the design stage I guess [:D]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 21/02/04 - 9:00 AM Permalink

Yeah, I was just being picky... You know.. Prove you are still human and all.

Now.. Back to the salt mines with you.. and don't come out until you have a gift wrapped copy of Rome total war for me.. Theres a good bloke!!