Skip to main content

Need Tech help

Forum

Ok, so, photoshop 6 is fucking up on me.

Symptoms are
Pausing when in the middle of a brush stroke
Unable to close - I'm talking impossible. I cant end process it or anything.. It just sits there saying 'not responding'

This is really pissing me off, I've looked most places I can think of, the Adobe support page is typically useless

I've tried reinstalling, killing preferences, but nothing seems to work.

The only thing that is different about my computer, is that I installed a new cpu yesterday.. I can't see how that would affect things though.

Anyone had a similar problem? or any idea on how I can fix it, or where to go? I've pretty much run out of ideas, which is why I'm asking here..

Anyhow, given that I need photoshop to beat Doord up, unless I get it fixed I'm potentially screwed, dont know how well I'll finish things off in paint.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 29/03/04 - 6:09 PM Permalink

That is an odd one. When you un-install a Windows app, it seems to leave crap in your registry. You may want to try getting a registry cleaning tool or even try going in and deleting PS's settings by hand. I don't think it will do too much to help, but if you are desperate to try you can give it a go.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Mon, 29/03/04 - 8:35 PM Permalink

What version of windows are you running? What was your old CPU? What is your new CPU?

Older versions of Windows never seemed to deal terribly well with some hardware upgrades. Sadly this sort of crash is going to be really hard to pinpoint and fix.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 29/03/04 - 9:12 PM Permalink

Aven - yup, tried that one.. I even installed painter classic - which seems to work with no problems..

Hazard - nooooooooo!!

Barry - XP Pro, old P2.4 celeron, new p2.8e prescott

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Tue, 30/03/04 - 1:18 AM Permalink

Hmm, I wouldn't think XP should have any problems with that upgrade then. The next thing to suggest is making sure you have all the latest relevant driver and service packs for Photoshop, XP Pro, your graphics card and your tablet or whatever you use.

If all of that doesn't help there's probably not alot we can do except suggest trying a different version of Photoshop or at the extreme end of the scale, a reformat as Hazard suggests.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 30/03/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

Stop tellin' him to format his computer, this isn't some kind of computer repair shop :D

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Tue, 30/03/04 - 2:12 AM Permalink

lol yeah I did say it was the extreme end of the scale...

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 30/03/04 - 3:05 AM Permalink

i think a format will eventually be needed... I'm very reluctant to do it though.. I've just got my computer where I want it (except for the photoshop dramas, of course).. so beh

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 30/03/04 - 3:11 AM Permalink

I have sometimes had to reformat courtesy of Photoshop. I mostly get the text size problem, you select size 8 font but instead you get a size 36 font [:(] and if you try 1 size font you get like 15 size font [:(].

Sometimes Photoshop can be a bitch.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 30/03/04 - 4:15 AM Permalink

never come across that one - bob, i reformat every month or 2 - helps keep me system in ship shape - ive only got a bodgy ol beast as well, so i need to.

Your motherboard could be the problem going from a celeron to a prescott chip - my dad just had the same problem with his laptop - i just remembered after reading the original post again -
does your entire computer hang ? or can you carry on opening up other programs ?

find out what chipsets your motherboard runs - and jump onto the pcuser / pcformat home pages and see if you cant find some help on there ....

sounds awfully alot like my dads laptop tho - it ended up being a motherbaord fault :(

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 30/03/04 - 10:45 AM Permalink

every other program works fine, I can use the rest of my computer with no problems - even with photoshop 'running' in the background.

i think a format will be in order, and if that doesn't work, a can opening on the mate that sold me this machine.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 31/03/04 - 1:56 AM Permalink

Have you setup your Scratch Disks in PS. Put the drive with the most amount of free memory as the scratch disk, or if that doesnt work, put the scratch disk as the same drive that PS is installed on.
Make sure that you give it lots of ram as well.

Forum

Ok, so, photoshop 6 is fucking up on me.

Symptoms are
Pausing when in the middle of a brush stroke
Unable to close - I'm talking impossible. I cant end process it or anything.. It just sits there saying 'not responding'

This is really pissing me off, I've looked most places I can think of, the Adobe support page is typically useless

I've tried reinstalling, killing preferences, but nothing seems to work.

The only thing that is different about my computer, is that I installed a new cpu yesterday.. I can't see how that would affect things though.

Anyone had a similar problem? or any idea on how I can fix it, or where to go? I've pretty much run out of ideas, which is why I'm asking here..

Anyhow, given that I need photoshop to beat Doord up, unless I get it fixed I'm potentially screwed, dont know how well I'll finish things off in paint.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 29/03/04 - 6:09 PM Permalink

That is an odd one. When you un-install a Windows app, it seems to leave crap in your registry. You may want to try getting a registry cleaning tool or even try going in and deleting PS's settings by hand. I don't think it will do too much to help, but if you are desperate to try you can give it a go.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Mon, 29/03/04 - 8:35 PM Permalink

What version of windows are you running? What was your old CPU? What is your new CPU?

Older versions of Windows never seemed to deal terribly well with some hardware upgrades. Sadly this sort of crash is going to be really hard to pinpoint and fix.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 29/03/04 - 9:12 PM Permalink

Aven - yup, tried that one.. I even installed painter classic - which seems to work with no problems..

Hazard - nooooooooo!!

Barry - XP Pro, old P2.4 celeron, new p2.8e prescott

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Tue, 30/03/04 - 1:18 AM Permalink

Hmm, I wouldn't think XP should have any problems with that upgrade then. The next thing to suggest is making sure you have all the latest relevant driver and service packs for Photoshop, XP Pro, your graphics card and your tablet or whatever you use.

If all of that doesn't help there's probably not alot we can do except suggest trying a different version of Photoshop or at the extreme end of the scale, a reformat as Hazard suggests.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 30/03/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

Stop tellin' him to format his computer, this isn't some kind of computer repair shop :D

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Tue, 30/03/04 - 2:12 AM Permalink

lol yeah I did say it was the extreme end of the scale...

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 30/03/04 - 3:05 AM Permalink

i think a format will eventually be needed... I'm very reluctant to do it though.. I've just got my computer where I want it (except for the photoshop dramas, of course).. so beh

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 30/03/04 - 3:11 AM Permalink

I have sometimes had to reformat courtesy of Photoshop. I mostly get the text size problem, you select size 8 font but instead you get a size 36 font [:(] and if you try 1 size font you get like 15 size font [:(].

Sometimes Photoshop can be a bitch.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 30/03/04 - 4:15 AM Permalink

never come across that one - bob, i reformat every month or 2 - helps keep me system in ship shape - ive only got a bodgy ol beast as well, so i need to.

Your motherboard could be the problem going from a celeron to a prescott chip - my dad just had the same problem with his laptop - i just remembered after reading the original post again -
does your entire computer hang ? or can you carry on opening up other programs ?

find out what chipsets your motherboard runs - and jump onto the pcuser / pcformat home pages and see if you cant find some help on there ....

sounds awfully alot like my dads laptop tho - it ended up being a motherbaord fault :(

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 30/03/04 - 10:45 AM Permalink

every other program works fine, I can use the rest of my computer with no problems - even with photoshop 'running' in the background.

i think a format will be in order, and if that doesn't work, a can opening on the mate that sold me this machine.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 31/03/04 - 1:56 AM Permalink

Have you setup your Scratch Disks in PS. Put the drive with the most amount of free memory as the scratch disk, or if that doesnt work, put the scratch disk as the same drive that PS is installed on.
Make sure that you give it lots of ram as well.