Skip to main content

Sky captin and the world of tommorow

Submitted by MoonUnit on
Forum

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/skycaptainandtheworldoftomorrow/

this looks interesting, looks to me like it too was a old book/comic of some sort, anyone ever heard of it before?

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 28/04/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

by interesting did u mean piss poor :P, i'll probably see it for angelina though :)

Submitted by Djenx on Wed, 28/04/04 - 8:07 AM Permalink

I think "Sky Captain & The Crud Of Yesteryear" would be a more fitting title [:p] but hey you never know it could turn out ummm......................ok

is it just me or did they totally rip off the theme from Star Gate [?]

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 28/04/04 - 12:22 PM Permalink

I'll probably see it mainly because the art style reminds me of the "Rocketeer." The story looks crap though and angelina? Yeah, she can act? That's news to me :)

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 28/04/04 - 11:08 PM Permalink

Well my first impressions where that it looks like a very fun movie.. It?s got a classic sci-fi fantasy, comic book look to it that seems very original. The style reminds me of those old sci-fi TV shows from the 50?s (like flash Gordon).

Actually, it reminds me of something from Star Trek voyager. There was a black and white holodeck program called ?Captain Proton?, that Tom Paris played in some episodes. It was great stuff ? very original.

quote:angelina? Yeah, she can act? That's news to me

Well, she can act sexy anyway! [;)]

Anyway, I think it?ll be kinda cool. [8D] Not overly serious, but it should be a fun ride. [:)] I for one am looking forward to it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 29/04/04 - 12:35 AM Permalink

i think id go see it mainly for the cooky old style sci fi theme (done with a 21st century technology and budget) and jude laws acting. If your not really familiar with him go rent a couple of movies, gataca's a good one.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 29/04/04 - 2:30 AM Permalink

As i mentioned i think id mainly see it for Angelina Jolie :P

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 29/04/04 - 6:33 AM Permalink

*sigh* you have the internet at your disposal, go do a google image search -_- :P

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 29/04/04 - 10:21 PM Permalink

I just finished watching the preview of The lost skeleton of Cadavra. Hmmm.
Well it?s certainly a classic feel sci-fi! And it looks very funny! [:D]
But it?s really just a comedy in a classic sci-fi setting, where as Sky Captain is a real action/adventure in a classic sci-fi setting.

It looks to me like The lost skeleton of Cadavra is basically paying out on classic sci-fi, where Sky Captain is honouring it?

Submitted by jwalduck on Wed, 05/05/04 - 12:36 AM Permalink

Sky Captain is actually an example of a home brew film development. If my memory serves me it was developed single handedly by one guy using consumer 3d and film compositing software. After six years he only had about 10 mins of footage, but it was enough to get someone in Hollywood interested, they poured in cash, sped up production and got some headline talent for it.

I understand that the original footage used in the pitch is still in the film. Also that they created the whole film with stand-in actors and dummies, edited the whole thing together, _then_ shot the big name actors and composited them in as a the final step.

It has a similar story to Rust Boy in development terms, though it has obviously gone mainstream.

As for the story, acting etc I have no idea. On the surface it plays homage to the 1930's futurist vision.

Posted by MoonUnit on
Forum

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/skycaptainandtheworldoftomorrow/

this looks interesting, looks to me like it too was a old book/comic of some sort, anyone ever heard of it before?

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 28/04/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

by interesting did u mean piss poor :P, i'll probably see it for angelina though :)

Submitted by Djenx on Wed, 28/04/04 - 8:07 AM Permalink

I think "Sky Captain & The Crud Of Yesteryear" would be a more fitting title [:p] but hey you never know it could turn out ummm......................ok

is it just me or did they totally rip off the theme from Star Gate [?]

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 28/04/04 - 12:22 PM Permalink

I'll probably see it mainly because the art style reminds me of the "Rocketeer." The story looks crap though and angelina? Yeah, she can act? That's news to me :)

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 28/04/04 - 11:08 PM Permalink

Well my first impressions where that it looks like a very fun movie.. It?s got a classic sci-fi fantasy, comic book look to it that seems very original. The style reminds me of those old sci-fi TV shows from the 50?s (like flash Gordon).

Actually, it reminds me of something from Star Trek voyager. There was a black and white holodeck program called ?Captain Proton?, that Tom Paris played in some episodes. It was great stuff ? very original.

quote:angelina? Yeah, she can act? That's news to me

Well, she can act sexy anyway! [;)]

Anyway, I think it?ll be kinda cool. [8D] Not overly serious, but it should be a fun ride. [:)] I for one am looking forward to it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 29/04/04 - 12:35 AM Permalink

i think id go see it mainly for the cooky old style sci fi theme (done with a 21st century technology and budget) and jude laws acting. If your not really familiar with him go rent a couple of movies, gataca's a good one.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 29/04/04 - 2:30 AM Permalink

As i mentioned i think id mainly see it for Angelina Jolie :P

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 29/04/04 - 6:33 AM Permalink

*sigh* you have the internet at your disposal, go do a google image search -_- :P

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 29/04/04 - 10:21 PM Permalink

I just finished watching the preview of The lost skeleton of Cadavra. Hmmm.
Well it?s certainly a classic feel sci-fi! And it looks very funny! [:D]
But it?s really just a comedy in a classic sci-fi setting, where as Sky Captain is a real action/adventure in a classic sci-fi setting.

It looks to me like The lost skeleton of Cadavra is basically paying out on classic sci-fi, where Sky Captain is honouring it?

Submitted by jwalduck on Wed, 05/05/04 - 12:36 AM Permalink

Sky Captain is actually an example of a home brew film development. If my memory serves me it was developed single handedly by one guy using consumer 3d and film compositing software. After six years he only had about 10 mins of footage, but it was enough to get someone in Hollywood interested, they poured in cash, sped up production and got some headline talent for it.

I understand that the original footage used in the pitch is still in the film. Also that they created the whole film with stand-in actors and dummies, edited the whole thing together, _then_ shot the big name actors and composited them in as a the final step.

It has a similar story to Rust Boy in development terms, though it has obviously gone mainstream.

As for the story, acting etc I have no idea. On the surface it plays homage to the 1930's futurist vision.