Skip to main content

aircraft painting

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

This weekends project - finally finished... I think!
Those of you with photographic memories will remember some 'SpaceRacer' concepts that I posted some time ago. Well I have revisited one of the designs, revised some details and completed a painting. I have included a link to the original sketch for those that want to see what it evolved from.

Done entirely in photoshop (actually about 10 lines on the grill at front were done in Freehand - easier, faster and more accurate for parallel, smooth, curved lines)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_JohnNewall_aircraftL.jpg[/img]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/2005327211637_spaceracer_s…"]spaceracer_sketch.jpg[/url]
32.96 KB

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 29/03/05 - 12:04 AM Permalink

nice work, reminds me of John Wallin's painting style. one thing which looks a little off is the right hand part of the nose, which seems a bit skewed in terms of perspective (might just be me). thats all though otherwise its great, a nice sense of realism.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 29/03/05 - 9:18 AM Permalink

Great execution John. Its been enjoyable watching you improve with each new piece.
Metal work is great, especially on areas where it scratches/chips.
Rocket though doesnt look up as good as the ships rendering, which is a bit weird. It might be the black bits on it as they arent rendered as sharply as the rest. Perspective on it looks like it might be a little off aswell, like the tip of it faces inwards towards the ships body. No thing major though as the perspective as a whole is quite good.
Nice colour scheme as well.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 31/03/05 - 9:56 AM Permalink

thanks for comments guys. All the perspective is probably slightly off as I only did a quick sketch 'by eye' for the base drawing - didn't think that It was going to become such a finished piece initially!

The black sections of the rockets are quite ambigious regarding material representation aren't they :( at the end of the day it reflects my indecision with them really - a detail I struggled with.

gotta admit MoonUnit, I'm not a fan of the pen tool in photoshop and always use a dedicated vector program for vector art, even if that requires working between 2 programs. I find Freehand and Illustrator more accurate, more flexable and faster that photoshop by miles... a lot of miles!

I'm going to attempt to do another one following the same process. If it comes out as well I'll post it up too.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 01/04/05 - 2:36 AM Permalink

oh no kidding, if you set out to do vector art then photoshop is really not where you should be heading. but its a pain to involve another program when u just want a couple of curved lines.

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 01/04/05 - 4:37 AM Permalink

Cool, this is my first post on sumea. The ship design is pretty cool, but the execution seems half finished. That is what bothers me the most. I look at the weathered green paint and think cool then i see the engine and I go hmmmm. But if it is just a concept then its ok to do that. Also you seem to have a strange mix of sharp lines and blurry lines which is a bit inconsistant. cheers.

Posted by Johnn on

This weekends project - finally finished... I think!
Those of you with photographic memories will remember some 'SpaceRacer' concepts that I posted some time ago. Well I have revisited one of the designs, revised some details and completed a painting. I have included a link to the original sketch for those that want to see what it evolved from.

Done entirely in photoshop (actually about 10 lines on the grill at front were done in Freehand - easier, faster and more accurate for parallel, smooth, curved lines)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_JohnNewall_aircraftL.jpg[/img]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/2005327211637_spaceracer_s…"]spaceracer_sketch.jpg[/url]
32.96 KB

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 29/03/05 - 12:04 AM Permalink

nice work, reminds me of John Wallin's painting style. one thing which looks a little off is the right hand part of the nose, which seems a bit skewed in terms of perspective (might just be me). thats all though otherwise its great, a nice sense of realism.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 29/03/05 - 9:18 AM Permalink

Great execution John. Its been enjoyable watching you improve with each new piece.
Metal work is great, especially on areas where it scratches/chips.
Rocket though doesnt look up as good as the ships rendering, which is a bit weird. It might be the black bits on it as they arent rendered as sharply as the rest. Perspective on it looks like it might be a little off aswell, like the tip of it faces inwards towards the ships body. No thing major though as the perspective as a whole is quite good.
Nice colour scheme as well.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 31/03/05 - 9:56 AM Permalink

thanks for comments guys. All the perspective is probably slightly off as I only did a quick sketch 'by eye' for the base drawing - didn't think that It was going to become such a finished piece initially!

The black sections of the rockets are quite ambigious regarding material representation aren't they :( at the end of the day it reflects my indecision with them really - a detail I struggled with.

gotta admit MoonUnit, I'm not a fan of the pen tool in photoshop and always use a dedicated vector program for vector art, even if that requires working between 2 programs. I find Freehand and Illustrator more accurate, more flexable and faster that photoshop by miles... a lot of miles!

I'm going to attempt to do another one following the same process. If it comes out as well I'll post it up too.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 01/04/05 - 2:36 AM Permalink

oh no kidding, if you set out to do vector art then photoshop is really not where you should be heading. but its a pain to involve another program when u just want a couple of curved lines.

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 01/04/05 - 4:37 AM Permalink

Cool, this is my first post on sumea. The ship design is pretty cool, but the execution seems half finished. That is what bothers me the most. I look at the weathered green paint and think cool then i see the engine and I go hmmmm. But if it is just a concept then its ok to do that. Also you seem to have a strange mix of sharp lines and blurry lines which is a bit inconsistant. cheers.