Skip to main content

Snowboarder

Submitted by Idaho on

Snowboard Character...
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/104_snowboarder_L.jpg[/img]
Any thoughts?

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 28/02/04 - 4:50 AM Permalink

Wow, that is so cool i love the clothes, they look great.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 28/02/04 - 5:39 AM Permalink

first of all very well done, looks allmost like its come right out of cool boarders or one of those types of games.

Now for crit, first of all he looks a bit too short and wide, realising this might be an intended look due to him wearing snow gear ive had a thought. Snow pants in two peice suits would have an elastic or belt or something arouind the waist, so the waist of the pants shouldnt have the same diameter as the bottom of the jacket, it should be hugging his body. Take it from me, ive been donning something similar for years (well in winter :P ).

Other then that great :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 28/02/04 - 5:48 AM Permalink

Well i though that his pants look very comfy where can i get me a pair?

Submitted by jwalduck on Sat, 28/02/04 - 6:20 AM Permalink

Looks like a good fit for Amped, not quite colourful enough for SXX.

I agree with moonunit. Beyond just how the pants meet the jacket the tickness of it at the neck, wrists and seams suggest the jacket is quite thin, from which you would conclude the guy's chest looks like a mail box.

Submitted by Idaho on Sat, 28/02/04 - 7:31 AM Permalink

Thanks guys, im not sure whos advice to take...

All this talk of tight fitting pants and mailboxes is making me a little thirsty :P

Thanks for your time anyway!

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 29/02/04 - 7:02 AM Permalink

Any more crits guys?

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 29/02/04 - 8:11 AM Permalink

I think the face could use some more work, stubble wrinkles, colour varition, etc.
Maybe add more design to the pants as well.
Looks really good, btw

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:39 PM Permalink

Could be a stupid question, as i wouldnt know, but here goes,... are snowboard jackets longer at the front than on the sides like your model shows ?

Not saying it looks bad, i think the model is sweet, better than what i could do for sure,...

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:41 PM Permalink

Hazard i think it was part of the design i think the jacket looks good.

Submitted by hobonation on Sat, 28/02/04 - 11:11 PM Permalink

Man thats wicked. It might be just me, but the snowboard looks really long and thin; but seeing as I havent snowboarded I might be completely wrong. N E way u've done an awesome job.

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 29/02/04 - 8:23 AM Permalink

Hi Guys! thanks for all your critz and ideas. Much appreciated. As for the jacket being long in the centre shorter at sides, this is purely a design i favour (i actually have a similar jacket). I used reference from the burton snowboard website for the jacket (and other eqiptment) styles and some of the elements of designs.

Oh! by the way, the all important poly count... i cant give an exaclt one at present... but from memory it was slightly under 4300 last time i checked.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 29/02/04 - 9:16 AM Permalink

oh yeah didnt realise the wrists either, probably should point out why it needs to be bodyhuggin at certain points, you dont want snow down your pants do you? ;)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 02/03/04 - 4:39 AM Permalink

i think his waist is too thick.. it's out of proportion with his shoulders.. look at a picture of a skeleton
http://topcondition.com/skeleton.gif note the width in relation to the shoulders.

He also looks a little stumpy too, a rough estimate shows that hes roughly 5 heads tall, generally, you should be aiming at about 6.5 to 7 heads in height for a standard male. Would also be interesting to see a wireframe, to see where all the polies went - with over 4000 there should be some more noticeable definitions in the cloth

Eyes, your guy is suffering from the blank eye that most computer game characters own. A quick solution, it to place an extra poly over each eye, and use it for a highlight, the idea being, that when or if the eyes move, the highlight will stay in the same place - this helps give the character a more believable and life like feel. Another solution would be to put the goggles on.. Give them a nice environment map and they'll kick ass.

I'd also have to say that the model lacks weight.. Sure there are baggy clothes, but they could really use the more defined cloth deformations to help give it gravity. On the same note, wheres the hood on his jacket! It's something that would look cool, and help define the silhoutte a bit better.

The texture job has been well done, but looks a little too clean. I'd expect there to be a little snow on the pants, maybe scratches on the paintjob of the board. And whats a snowboarder without some crazy facial hair :)

Err.. hope this is some help, I realise it's a bit rambly.. Anyhow, it's a nice job as is, but I think you could put some more time into it, and it would be awesome.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 09/03/04 - 12:03 AM Permalink

I like the model man - its cool , cept i have to agree with Bob about the waist, its definately too thick.

There are a couple of edges that could be turned as well near his armpit.

Ive also thought - depending on how the model is going to be seen - that you would use poly's based on that.

Ie - if theres going to be lots of close up's of the face - youd spend a fair bit, defining and shaping the facial features - however if its like a 3rd person , that barely gets seen from very close - i would tend to think that the polys would be distributed more evenly over the whole body.

Just a thought thats all [:)]

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 09/03/04 - 12:17 AM Permalink

I agree with the statements of the jacket - needs more feedback that it is thick, and not a thin piece of clothing over a oddly shaped chest. Bunching up at the shoulders, giving it more flow from the armpits to the hips, and increasing the bulk at the sleeves. I think the sleeves are the biggest offender here - jackets or coats aren't made to bulb up like that, but are either pulled taut by some other element or left loose and flowingly bulky. I think it's just a thing of the eye being mislead by some contradicting parts (eg, it's thick at some points, thin at others).

Posted by Idaho on

Snowboard Character...
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/104_snowboarder_L.jpg[/img]
Any thoughts?

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 28/02/04 - 4:50 AM Permalink

Wow, that is so cool i love the clothes, they look great.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 28/02/04 - 5:39 AM Permalink

first of all very well done, looks allmost like its come right out of cool boarders or one of those types of games.

Now for crit, first of all he looks a bit too short and wide, realising this might be an intended look due to him wearing snow gear ive had a thought. Snow pants in two peice suits would have an elastic or belt or something arouind the waist, so the waist of the pants shouldnt have the same diameter as the bottom of the jacket, it should be hugging his body. Take it from me, ive been donning something similar for years (well in winter :P ).

Other then that great :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 28/02/04 - 5:48 AM Permalink

Well i though that his pants look very comfy where can i get me a pair?

Submitted by jwalduck on Sat, 28/02/04 - 6:20 AM Permalink

Looks like a good fit for Amped, not quite colourful enough for SXX.

I agree with moonunit. Beyond just how the pants meet the jacket the tickness of it at the neck, wrists and seams suggest the jacket is quite thin, from which you would conclude the guy's chest looks like a mail box.

Submitted by Idaho on Sat, 28/02/04 - 7:31 AM Permalink

Thanks guys, im not sure whos advice to take...

All this talk of tight fitting pants and mailboxes is making me a little thirsty :P

Thanks for your time anyway!

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 29/02/04 - 7:02 AM Permalink

Any more crits guys?

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 29/02/04 - 8:11 AM Permalink

I think the face could use some more work, stubble wrinkles, colour varition, etc.
Maybe add more design to the pants as well.
Looks really good, btw

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:39 PM Permalink

Could be a stupid question, as i wouldnt know, but here goes,... are snowboard jackets longer at the front than on the sides like your model shows ?

Not saying it looks bad, i think the model is sweet, better than what i could do for sure,...

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:41 PM Permalink

Hazard i think it was part of the design i think the jacket looks good.

Submitted by hobonation on Sat, 28/02/04 - 11:11 PM Permalink

Man thats wicked. It might be just me, but the snowboard looks really long and thin; but seeing as I havent snowboarded I might be completely wrong. N E way u've done an awesome job.

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 29/02/04 - 8:23 AM Permalink

Hi Guys! thanks for all your critz and ideas. Much appreciated. As for the jacket being long in the centre shorter at sides, this is purely a design i favour (i actually have a similar jacket). I used reference from the burton snowboard website for the jacket (and other eqiptment) styles and some of the elements of designs.

Oh! by the way, the all important poly count... i cant give an exaclt one at present... but from memory it was slightly under 4300 last time i checked.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 29/02/04 - 9:16 AM Permalink

oh yeah didnt realise the wrists either, probably should point out why it needs to be bodyhuggin at certain points, you dont want snow down your pants do you? ;)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 02/03/04 - 4:39 AM Permalink

i think his waist is too thick.. it's out of proportion with his shoulders.. look at a picture of a skeleton
http://topcondition.com/skeleton.gif note the width in relation to the shoulders.

He also looks a little stumpy too, a rough estimate shows that hes roughly 5 heads tall, generally, you should be aiming at about 6.5 to 7 heads in height for a standard male. Would also be interesting to see a wireframe, to see where all the polies went - with over 4000 there should be some more noticeable definitions in the cloth

Eyes, your guy is suffering from the blank eye that most computer game characters own. A quick solution, it to place an extra poly over each eye, and use it for a highlight, the idea being, that when or if the eyes move, the highlight will stay in the same place - this helps give the character a more believable and life like feel. Another solution would be to put the goggles on.. Give them a nice environment map and they'll kick ass.

I'd also have to say that the model lacks weight.. Sure there are baggy clothes, but they could really use the more defined cloth deformations to help give it gravity. On the same note, wheres the hood on his jacket! It's something that would look cool, and help define the silhoutte a bit better.

The texture job has been well done, but looks a little too clean. I'd expect there to be a little snow on the pants, maybe scratches on the paintjob of the board. And whats a snowboarder without some crazy facial hair :)

Err.. hope this is some help, I realise it's a bit rambly.. Anyhow, it's a nice job as is, but I think you could put some more time into it, and it would be awesome.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 09/03/04 - 12:03 AM Permalink

I like the model man - its cool , cept i have to agree with Bob about the waist, its definately too thick.

There are a couple of edges that could be turned as well near his armpit.

Ive also thought - depending on how the model is going to be seen - that you would use poly's based on that.

Ie - if theres going to be lots of close up's of the face - youd spend a fair bit, defining and shaping the facial features - however if its like a 3rd person , that barely gets seen from very close - i would tend to think that the polys would be distributed more evenly over the whole body.

Just a thought thats all [:)]

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 09/03/04 - 12:17 AM Permalink

I agree with the statements of the jacket - needs more feedback that it is thick, and not a thin piece of clothing over a oddly shaped chest. Bunching up at the shoulders, giving it more flow from the armpits to the hips, and increasing the bulk at the sleeves. I think the sleeves are the biggest offender here - jackets or coats aren't made to bulb up like that, but are either pulled taut by some other element or left loose and flowingly bulky. I think it's just a thing of the eye being mislead by some contradicting parts (eg, it's thick at some points, thin at others).