Skip to main content

Australian Open

Submitted by MoonUnit on
Forum

So whos been watching or going. I watched a few matches on TV (like the all australian loosing day for scud and hewitt) but i got to go today with a free ground pass from a friend, score!!

i had a awesome day and saw some neat legends matches. Like pat cash and macanroe (no he didnt chuck a skitz, but everyone was yelling at him to... even these guys with watermelons on their heads...). All in all i had a fun day :P

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 28/01/04 - 6:16 AM Permalink

Sport is the grit in the underwear of my life.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 28/01/04 - 11:11 AM Permalink

bahahaha @ pants

I like sport.. But not tennis or cricket.. Or anything televised for that matter.. I want to play, not watch it.. But there it is, eating up my precious TV watching hours. I want to watch that 70's show, not some crappy non interactive version of pong.

It's good that you like it Moonunit.. But I really don't like seeing tennis related stuff here. Makes me feel.. Dirty.

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 28/01/04 - 11:26 AM Permalink

I think ill pass on that grit comment. Too scary.

The Australian Open is an impressive exhibition of athletes competing at the peak of their professional sports etc etc. But it is also the reason i had no Scrubs to watch tonight. :(

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 28/01/04 - 11:34 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

It's good that you like it Moonunit.. But I really don't like seeing tennis related stuff here. Makes me feel.. Dirty.

Shame on you, dirty, dirty MoonUnit. Didn't you know these forums are moderated for discussion on topics other than games, art, women, computers, fantasy and sci-fi?

haha [;)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 28/01/04 - 7:56 PM Permalink

I love sport to but not tennis. Soccer is the way of the future. Watching tennis is like nodding no at someting. Your head just goes side to side.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 28/01/04 - 9:03 PM Permalink

I flew down to Melbourne last saturday to shop my butt off and to also watch Hewitt vs Nadal, great game, Nadal certainly made Hewitt work for his win though.
Also saw Todd Woodbridge play in the doubles.

Tennis, football(soccer) and extreme sports are the only competetive sports I can watch, generally find the attitude of most people who play competetive sport a tad worrying. [:P]

To all those Melbournites out there, your city ROCKS!!

Don't get me wrong, Brisvegas is great and all but I would prefer to be able to move during summer and not sit half naked in a kiddy pool to escape the ridiculous humidity!!

Mr Burns were is your disc to block the sun when we need it??!!!

One question though, why are all the men in Melbourne so 'Man pretty', don't the Melbourne women get jealous that all the fashion stores are for blokes lol. J/K [:)]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 28/01/04 - 9:17 PM Permalink

Oh noes! Metroman! *runs for cover*

I'm not a huge tennis buff, but I was ready to kick the TV in when Pat Rafter lost to Goran Ivanisevic at the Wimbledon finals in 2001.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 28/01/04 - 9:53 PM Permalink

Soccer isn't so bad, it's thankfully only confined to SBS.. Can't stand to watch it though honestly.. Only sport I go out of my way to watch is (field) hockey.. Yeah yeah..

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 28/01/04 - 10:26 PM Permalink

I don't really watch alot of sport, except for motorsport. I guess it's hard to call it a sport though, because it's not like you need to be heaps buff and fit to drive a car fast (not that most drivers aren't fit anyway).

I try to play sports more than I watch them!

However I remember spitting chips when pat rafter lost that wimbledon 2001!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 29/01/04 - 2:17 AM Permalink

soccer is still my game aswell :D
tennis is fun to watch sometimes though, admitedly it can be boring but i saw some awesome matches.

Melbourne, what can i say Malus, we didnt win the most livable city in the world for nothing :P

i was "spitting chips" the other night when federer beat hewitt, that was probably one of the top matches ive seen played.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 29/01/04 - 5:39 AM Permalink

I hate hewitt he has to learn to admit defeat. He blamed his loss on the fire works. How about Ill-Skill? yeah try that one hewitt.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 29/01/04 - 8:10 AM Permalink

Really? Every interview I've seen when he loses (or wins for that matter) he comes across as a good sport, he was pretty imature when he was younger but any kid thrown into that type of world would be a bit cocky.

He was really good after the match I saw, he really made it known that the young kid made him work his butt of for the win.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 29/01/04 - 8:43 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by smeg

But it is also the reason i had no Scrubs to watch tonight. :(

I know! Scrubs is my favourite show and Im missing out on it!! :(
Not fair

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 29/01/04 - 11:45 AM Permalink

Hi all! [:)]
Yeah, there has been some nice tennis on the tele.

Personally I?m not much of a competitive sports fan, but I think tennis is good if there are top players involved, otherwise I don?t ?get? traditional sports. They just don?t seem much fun to me. And American television (or even better then TV: gaming [:p]) seems better to watch then sports. [:)]

But I really love the more fun activates, like pretty much all extreme sports [:D] ? especially surfing. Here in beautiful Brisbane surfing is so easy to get into ? a shortish drive and there are some of the best waves in the world? sometimes. IMO, Much more exciting then tennis (or football, cricket, whatever). -if there are waves. [:(] (not that I?m ever up early for a beach trip anymore, I?m always up late on the ?puter )

Still, with the heat we?ve been getting, going to Melbourne for summer sounds pretty cool?

Submitted by Vengeance on Thu, 29/01/04 - 12:26 PM Permalink

Watching sport is about drinking beer, not watching sport.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 29/01/04 - 12:41 PM Permalink

do they allow beer wenches at the tennis???

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 29/01/04 - 1:29 PM Permalink

"Watching sport is about drinking beer, not watching sport."

-Wow, now your talking!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/01/04 - 2:46 AM Permalink

hieneken has a big sponsorship in the australian open, theres like a bar were you can get hieneken, hieneken or hieneken beer on the grounds. If you dont like hieneken beer your alchoholic choices are pretty limited as you cant bring anything in (they do check ur bags) so youd have to go sip wine at one of the cafes (EXPENSIVE!!!)

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 30/01/04 - 9:41 AM Permalink

It was like that for the rugby world cup as well. The place we watched the final at took up a heineken only policy (i was in melbourne at the time!).

I got a cool heineken hat out of it though, so thats cool. :D

Posted by MoonUnit on
Forum

So whos been watching or going. I watched a few matches on TV (like the all australian loosing day for scud and hewitt) but i got to go today with a free ground pass from a friend, score!!

i had a awesome day and saw some neat legends matches. Like pat cash and macanroe (no he didnt chuck a skitz, but everyone was yelling at him to... even these guys with watermelons on their heads...). All in all i had a fun day :P

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 28/01/04 - 6:16 AM Permalink

Sport is the grit in the underwear of my life.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 28/01/04 - 11:11 AM Permalink

bahahaha @ pants

I like sport.. But not tennis or cricket.. Or anything televised for that matter.. I want to play, not watch it.. But there it is, eating up my precious TV watching hours. I want to watch that 70's show, not some crappy non interactive version of pong.

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 28/01/04 - 11:26 AM Permalink

I think ill pass on that grit comment. Too scary.

The Australian Open is an impressive exhibition of athletes competing at the peak of their professional sports etc etc. But it is also the reason i had no Scrubs to watch tonight. :(

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 28/01/04 - 11:34 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

Shame on you, dirty, dirty MoonUnit. Didn't you know these forums are moderated for discussion on topics other than games, art, women, computers, fantasy and sci-fi?

haha [;)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 28/01/04 - 7:56 PM Permalink

I love sport to but not tennis. Soccer is the way of the future. Watching tennis is like nodding no at someting. Your head just goes side to side.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 28/01/04 - 9:03 PM Permalink

I flew down to Melbourne last saturday to shop my butt off and to also watch Hewitt vs Nadal, great game, Nadal certainly made Hewitt work for his win though.
Also saw Todd Woodbridge play in the doubles.

Tennis, football(soccer) and extreme sports are the only competetive sports I can watch, generally find the attitude of most people who play competetive sport a tad worrying. [:P]

To all those Melbournites out there, your city ROCKS!!

Don't get me wrong, Brisvegas is great and all but I would prefer to be able to move during summer and not sit half naked in a kiddy pool to escape the ridiculous humidity!!

Mr Burns were is your disc to block the sun when we need it??!!!

One question though, why are all the men in Melbourne so 'Man pretty', don't the Melbourne women get jealous that all the fashion stores are for blokes lol. J/K [:)]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 28/01/04 - 9:17 PM Permalink

Oh noes! Metroman! *runs for cover*

I'm not a huge tennis buff, but I was ready to kick the TV in when Pat Rafter lost to Goran Ivanisevic at the Wimbledon finals in 2001.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 28/01/04 - 9:53 PM Permalink

Soccer isn't so bad, it's thankfully only confined to SBS.. Can't stand to watch it though honestly.. Only sport I go out of my way to watch is (field) hockey.. Yeah yeah..

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 28/01/04 - 10:26 PM Permalink

I don't really watch alot of sport, except for motorsport. I guess it's hard to call it a sport though, because it's not like you need to be heaps buff and fit to drive a car fast (not that most drivers aren't fit anyway).

I try to play sports more than I watch them!

However I remember spitting chips when pat rafter lost that wimbledon 2001!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 29/01/04 - 2:17 AM Permalink

soccer is still my game aswell :D
tennis is fun to watch sometimes though, admitedly it can be boring but i saw some awesome matches.

Melbourne, what can i say Malus, we didnt win the most livable city in the world for nothing :P

i was "spitting chips" the other night when federer beat hewitt, that was probably one of the top matches ive seen played.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 29/01/04 - 5:39 AM Permalink

I hate hewitt he has to learn to admit defeat. He blamed his loss on the fire works. How about Ill-Skill? yeah try that one hewitt.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 29/01/04 - 8:10 AM Permalink

Really? Every interview I've seen when he loses (or wins for that matter) he comes across as a good sport, he was pretty imature when he was younger but any kid thrown into that type of world would be a bit cocky.

He was really good after the match I saw, he really made it known that the young kid made him work his butt of for the win.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 29/01/04 - 8:43 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by smeg

But it is also the reason i had no Scrubs to watch tonight. :(

I know! Scrubs is my favourite show and Im missing out on it!! :(
Not fair

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 29/01/04 - 11:45 AM Permalink

Hi all! [:)]
Yeah, there has been some nice tennis on the tele.

Personally I?m not much of a competitive sports fan, but I think tennis is good if there are top players involved, otherwise I don?t ?get? traditional sports. They just don?t seem much fun to me. And American television (or even better then TV: gaming [:p]) seems better to watch then sports. [:)]

But I really love the more fun activates, like pretty much all extreme sports [:D] ? especially surfing. Here in beautiful Brisbane surfing is so easy to get into ? a shortish drive and there are some of the best waves in the world? sometimes. IMO, Much more exciting then tennis (or football, cricket, whatever). -if there are waves. [:(] (not that I?m ever up early for a beach trip anymore, I?m always up late on the ?puter )

Still, with the heat we?ve been getting, going to Melbourne for summer sounds pretty cool?

Submitted by Vengeance on Thu, 29/01/04 - 12:26 PM Permalink

Watching sport is about drinking beer, not watching sport.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 29/01/04 - 12:41 PM Permalink

do they allow beer wenches at the tennis???

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 29/01/04 - 1:29 PM Permalink

"Watching sport is about drinking beer, not watching sport."

-Wow, now your talking!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/01/04 - 2:46 AM Permalink

hieneken has a big sponsorship in the australian open, theres like a bar were you can get hieneken, hieneken or hieneken beer on the grounds. If you dont like hieneken beer your alchoholic choices are pretty limited as you cant bring anything in (they do check ur bags) so youd have to go sip wine at one of the cafes (EXPENSIVE!!!)

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 30/01/04 - 9:41 AM Permalink

It was like that for the rugby world cup as well. The place we watched the final at took up a heineken only policy (i was in melbourne at the time!).

I got a cool heineken hat out of it though, so thats cool. :D