Skip to main content

War Hammer

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

I officaly have a new craze. Actually it hink it maybe a hobby that will last quite long. I have just started getting into Warhammer and everything related to it. I just bought a few models and have started to paint them. It's so much fun and the results are cool. I haven't got any plans to fight yet, just collecting both the 40k and originals. Is anyone else into it.

At the moment i only got the plastic one no metal ones. but my army is growing. oh and Dark Elves are the coolest[8D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 27/09/04 - 4:54 AM Permalink

i used to do warhammer 40k but its too expensive for me to keep up. I still love the warhammer universe though

EDIT: ive mentioned it before, but those new to my antics, i collected tyranids

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 27/09/04 - 6:34 AM Permalink

I got right into it (original warhammer ? I wasn?t a big fan of 40k) years ago, back when I got my first job. I had a medium sized army, about 5000 points worth I think, but even that ended up costing way too much, which is why I got over it. That and the huge time commitment involved. I also decided that I?d rather see animated computer game characters fight it out rather then imagine what the armies were doing [:P]

And I suppose loosing every battle I played didn?t help my enthusiasm for the hobby!

The whole citadel and games workshop range is a complete rip off ? there are some lesser-known miniatures around that are way cheaper, though just as cool. I?d recommend checking out some of the other companies products before investing too much of your hard earned cash.

Despite the cost, warhammer can be a lot of fun. And some of that Lord of the Rings stuff around now is almost enough to make me want to get back into it?
?Almost.

Oh, and undead are pretty damn cool [8D]

Submitted by TyKeiL on Mon, 27/09/04 - 7:01 AM Permalink

lol palantir you are so cool.. with those sunglasses esp..

im a terrain and terrain feature artist, i make the buildings and hills out of polystyrene, cardboard and balsa with plastic etc.. paint them all up. make your war field that little better looking.

havent done any in a while.. its pretty messy work. all that cutting of polystyrene n stuff.. is good fun..

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 27/09/04 - 5:31 PM Permalink

I was so keen on Warhammer 40k 10 to 12 years ago and I still have a few figures floating about. The setting is very cool, having over 17 or more years ripped off every major piece of sci-fi cool that existed, boiled it down and amalgamated it into the great empire that is GW. The models are also rather nice, and there art is top notch. But here in lies the problem. The game itself can?t live up to the setting, to the cool it projects because when it come down to it, it is a board game. A board game that takes 4 to 6 hours to play and in that time you only get 4 turns. A game that is dull and mired in the minutia of rolling fist loads of dice and an ocean on nitpicking rules for ?friendly? contestants to fight over. Its also scary from a corporate point of view as its target audience (as far as they are concerned) is to young on average to be working full time and hence actually afford a full army to play with, and most mum and dad aint ?that? generous.

In a nutshell great setting and visuals, lousy gameplay which screams to be turned to a computer game to do away with all the die rolling and rules lawyers. Which is why the new game is so interesting to so many cynical ex-warhammer players. It looks fun.

Pantmonger

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 27/09/04 - 6:28 PM Permalink

quote:In a nutshell great setting and visuals, lousy gameplay which screams to be turned to a computer game to do away with all the die rolling and rules lawyers.

Yeah, i have to agree, that's why i dont really want to get into playing it that much, cos i'd rather play something like warcraft 3 and actually watch the animation and so on. But it's still shit loads of fun to model and paint.

I am looking forward to Dawn of War as well. It looks mad fun and i should really get the demo.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Tue, 28/09/04 - 12:05 AM Permalink

I've been playing the demo for DoW for a couple days and I have to say it rocks. I used to be hugely into Warhammer 40k but I haven't played a game now for 5 or 6 years.

I think Warhammer 40k players will get more out of DoW then most people; there's something really cool about seeing the armies of 40k come to life in such detail. I felt that the previous 40k games didn't really do it justice.

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

I officaly have a new craze. Actually it hink it maybe a hobby that will last quite long. I have just started getting into Warhammer and everything related to it. I just bought a few models and have started to paint them. It's so much fun and the results are cool. I haven't got any plans to fight yet, just collecting both the 40k and originals. Is anyone else into it.

At the moment i only got the plastic one no metal ones. but my army is growing. oh and Dark Elves are the coolest[8D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 27/09/04 - 4:54 AM Permalink

i used to do warhammer 40k but its too expensive for me to keep up. I still love the warhammer universe though

EDIT: ive mentioned it before, but those new to my antics, i collected tyranids

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 27/09/04 - 6:34 AM Permalink

I got right into it (original warhammer ? I wasn?t a big fan of 40k) years ago, back when I got my first job. I had a medium sized army, about 5000 points worth I think, but even that ended up costing way too much, which is why I got over it. That and the huge time commitment involved. I also decided that I?d rather see animated computer game characters fight it out rather then imagine what the armies were doing [:P]

And I suppose loosing every battle I played didn?t help my enthusiasm for the hobby!

The whole citadel and games workshop range is a complete rip off ? there are some lesser-known miniatures around that are way cheaper, though just as cool. I?d recommend checking out some of the other companies products before investing too much of your hard earned cash.

Despite the cost, warhammer can be a lot of fun. And some of that Lord of the Rings stuff around now is almost enough to make me want to get back into it?
?Almost.

Oh, and undead are pretty damn cool [8D]

Submitted by TyKeiL on Mon, 27/09/04 - 7:01 AM Permalink

lol palantir you are so cool.. with those sunglasses esp..

im a terrain and terrain feature artist, i make the buildings and hills out of polystyrene, cardboard and balsa with plastic etc.. paint them all up. make your war field that little better looking.

havent done any in a while.. its pretty messy work. all that cutting of polystyrene n stuff.. is good fun..

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 27/09/04 - 5:31 PM Permalink

I was so keen on Warhammer 40k 10 to 12 years ago and I still have a few figures floating about. The setting is very cool, having over 17 or more years ripped off every major piece of sci-fi cool that existed, boiled it down and amalgamated it into the great empire that is GW. The models are also rather nice, and there art is top notch. But here in lies the problem. The game itself can?t live up to the setting, to the cool it projects because when it come down to it, it is a board game. A board game that takes 4 to 6 hours to play and in that time you only get 4 turns. A game that is dull and mired in the minutia of rolling fist loads of dice and an ocean on nitpicking rules for ?friendly? contestants to fight over. Its also scary from a corporate point of view as its target audience (as far as they are concerned) is to young on average to be working full time and hence actually afford a full army to play with, and most mum and dad aint ?that? generous.

In a nutshell great setting and visuals, lousy gameplay which screams to be turned to a computer game to do away with all the die rolling and rules lawyers. Which is why the new game is so interesting to so many cynical ex-warhammer players. It looks fun.

Pantmonger

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 27/09/04 - 6:28 PM Permalink

quote:In a nutshell great setting and visuals, lousy gameplay which screams to be turned to a computer game to do away with all the die rolling and rules lawyers.

Yeah, i have to agree, that's why i dont really want to get into playing it that much, cos i'd rather play something like warcraft 3 and actually watch the animation and so on. But it's still shit loads of fun to model and paint.

I am looking forward to Dawn of War as well. It looks mad fun and i should really get the demo.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Tue, 28/09/04 - 12:05 AM Permalink

I've been playing the demo for DoW for a couple days and I have to say it rocks. I used to be hugely into Warhammer 40k but I haven't played a game now for 5 or 6 years.

I think Warhammer 40k players will get more out of DoW then most people; there's something really cool about seeing the armies of 40k come to life in such detail. I felt that the previous 40k games didn't really do it justice.